• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS should attain DC Games exclusivity to compete with Sonys Marvel output.

Marvel14

Banned
I wish some gamers weren't so obsessed about their favorite companies buying out companies and more focused on their favorite companies showing actual games with gameplay.

An acquisition means nothing now if development of those exclusives hasn't even started yet. Thats just as bad as me getting excited for God of War Ragnarök 2 or Spiderman 3...what's the point?
You are on the path to attaining a deeper level of enlightenment, free yourself from all attachment and self constructed purpose and your mind will become truly free.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I don't quite understand why there is still this rhetoric that MS is only interested in MP games for GP. Surely the Bethesda buy out and Hellblade 2 changes things.

Sony will hold onto Marvel and if MS are not careful they'll go all in on movie IP games too. And yes I know that Indiana Jones is a rumored XB exclusive but that's not enough. Sony just got KOTOR remake as an exclusive after all.

Make Suicide Squad, Arkham Knights and Wonder woman exclusive to XB and then we can really get things going.

oldergamer

Think about it, what's the one thing that is still holding back the casual gamer from really switching over to XB from PS5? It's triple A story driven, single player games.

Sony have been able to capture and sell the Zeitgeist of the Marvel craze and arguably this is their main selling point especially after the Activision buyout.

If all DC driven games became XB exclusive this would do two things. 1) Be able to compete with Sony on a linear story driven game level and 2) Be able to offer a real alternative to Sony and Marvel exclusives. Especially for those in the market that are more DC fans then Marvel.

Look how successful and well enjoyed the Batman Arkham games are. Now imagine they were exclusive to XB or MS being able to release the latest Suicide Squad or Justice League game right when Sony have a new Marvel game on their platform. BAM. You'd have really good competition in the gaming super hero space.

Buy out Rocksteady, maybe MS's new triple A studio work on a next gen Superman game. It'd go down really well.

Just my two cents on where next MS should go.
I fully agree. that's why i wanted them to buy the WB studios and have batman go head to head with spiderman.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Double fine, inXile are AAA? I have my doubts there bud. Bethesda not GaaS/MP? Last two games Fallout 76 is GaaS, and Elder Scrolls Blades packed with mtxs.

Single player games will have their place but spending $100M developing a single player game you complete in 20hrs to attract people paying $10 for a month isn't going to work out great or be done too often.
Starfield and new Elder Scrolls say hello.

Marvel14

Banned
I'm personally sick of seeing superhero shit everywhere. It's such a limiting genre and can't be made interesting unless you go against what defines the genre in the first place. All those Marvel movies are just the same thing made repeatedly with the costumes swapped around. It is the ultimate "asset flip" genre.
You should attain the perspective of the innocent and pure so as to see all things that make your mind weary with a renewed sense of wonder and joy.

Topher

Gold Member
I think some people here want Microsoft to rule the world.

Bill Gates Microsoft GIF

Last edited:

Three

Starfield and new Elder Scrolls say hello.
Starfield was in dev before it was bought for gamepass. It wasn't a gamepass game and I don't even know of its budget or quality. Hopefully it's good.
Elder scrolls lets see when it releases and how it's monitised. Right now it's a title screen. All I know is that even prior to gamepass big budget single player games weren't MS' MO. Now that engagement is even more important i think big budget single player is even less lucrative now.

Starfield was in dev before it was bought for gamepass. It wasn't a gamepass game and I don't even know of its budget or quality. Hopefully it's good.
Elder scrolls lets see when it releases and how it's monitised. Right now it's a title screen. All I know is that even prior to gamepass big budget single player games weren't MS' MO. Now that engagement is even more important i think big budget single player is even less lucrative now.
It's no great loss. I'm not interested in these games that play themselves and ask nothing of the player. When I want a story, I read a book or watch a show. I know that plenty of people love those cinematic games though, so why not let Sony be the place for them.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
From port begging to acquisition begging. Why as a consumer and gamer do you give a flying fuck about licenses & properties becoming exclusive to a plastic box? It’s frankly pathetic.

I enjoy gaming and I enjoy the conversations around it. Just having fun chatting about gaming with a gaming community. Chill the fuck out.

I didn't even know Marvel was exclusive, is it? I just thought Playstation wanted to make the game, so they approached Marvel. They then made a damn quality game that got great reviews and sold a shit ton. Because of the quality of the games produced Marvel now trusts Playstation with their franchises. They now trust them to make other Marvel games. I bet if Xbox approached Marvel to do a game they would allow them. Maybe Xbox isn't interested in Marvel franchises or super hero games?

yurinka

Sony only got Spider-Man and Wolverine, don't need to go to DC. There's plenty of heroes and groups in Marvel that MS could get.

Captain America, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, West Coast Avengers, X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, Ghost Rider and many other.

Last edited:

If you're only playing 1 GaaS game you're not subscribing to Game Pass. If Game Pass went mostly with GaaS games people would stop subscribing to Game Pass and would just play the games they wanted to play. It's whatever because you've already convinced yourself of that stance with no logic or reason, but Game Pass means it's more likely for Microsoft to be making single player games, because they're selling you on Game Pass, not every individual game they make. Sure there will be GaaS games like Sea of Thieves or ESO, but to act like that's all they'll make flies in the face of any and all logic outside of a Sony fanboy bubble. With Game Pass not every game has to have some massive return, it just has to help increase the value of Game Pass so that more and more people subscribe to it

Reizo Ryuu

Wolverine is Sony exclusive. After the Activision buy out you can bet your ass Sony will be doing exclusive contracts with Marvel to stay competing.
Wolverine was probably one of the characters insomniac was allowed to choose from, and after working on miles morales, they probably asked marvel if they could do that one too.
Sony can't decide anything, it's marvel's IP and they aren't going to just give one company sole control over their merchandise ever again, so these wouldn't be blanket licenses, so trying to moneyhat marvel's IP would mean they would have to purchase a license for every new game/sequel/dlc whatever, if marvel even wants to give it to them in the first place.
It's not like the movie rights situation where sony only has to make a movie every x amount of years to keep the license, or just toss a big check at marvel and they just get whatever they want, Marvel Games contracts publishers/studios on a case-by-case basis to make games for them, not the other way around.

this is what xbox fans really wanted. No one who begs for acquisitions realistically wanted a activision buy out lol they wanted WB so they could get action super hero game and mortal kombat.

Oh well

intbal

Microsoft has enough developers now. They just purchased a ton of new ones to add to the ton of new ones they acquired from Zenimax. So big NO to trying to buy out any more studios.
However, it's not the worst idea in the world to grab just a single comic-based IP for a time-limited exclusivity deal. Playstation does benefit from having Spider-Man as an exclusive.
Perhaps if MS could acquire a five year window of exclusivity (plus the time leading up to release) for a lesser character, it might stir a little extra interest. WB-Discovery doesn't currently look to have a very bright future, so I'm sure they'd be willing to negotiate.
I wouldn't mind a Batman Beyond game for Xbox/PC made by one of Microsoft's better development houses. Closer in story to the original series, but with a modern visual style.

This is actually not a bad idea OP if Xbox is to bolster some of their AAA story driven titles and also there's the appeal of DC characters and with MS extensive resources, should be able to shine under the Xbox brand.

I for one would love to see a Superman game come to fruition with these new SSD's.

Problem is that AAA story driven, single player games don't lend themselves to gamepass. MS even when game sales were important rejected a lot of single player games. Now that engagement is key to them they are even less likely.

What in blue hell.... Starfield? The Elder Scrolls 6? Perfect Dark? Halo Infinite Campaign? Avowed? Psychonauts 2? Wasteland 3? The Outer Worlds 2? Hellblade 2? Indiana Jones? Fable? InXile's confirmed FPS RPG.

Hey, these are all AAA story driven, single player games.

Is this just intentional gaslighting or what? It's literally not based in any kind of fact. Microsoft has greenlit a shit ton of ambitious story driven AAA single player games.

And btw Sony doesn't have exclusive access to Marvel. Microsoft can make a request to Marvel for a character in their lineup as well if they wish. I personally wouldn't mind some DC games for Xbox, though.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

The Spidey game license isn't exclusive to PlayStation. Only the Insomniac games are exclusive to PlayStation. Spidey appears in the Lego games and in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, the latter being a Switch exclusive. Disney has been very willing to license Marvel properties out to external devs. I don't think there's anything stopping Microsoft from pitching an XBox-exclusive Marvel game to Disney.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
The Spidey game license isn't exclusive to PlayStation. Only the Insomniac games are exclusive to PlayStation. Spidey appears in the Lego games and in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, the latter being a Switch exclusive. Disney has been very willing to license Marvel properties out to external devs. I don't think there's anything stopping Microsoft from pitching an XBox-exclusive Marvel game to Disney.
Then MS really need to start changing the mainstream casual gamer rhetoric that Marvel games = PS5.

As an aside I was having this conversation at work today and two of my colleagues who are definitely not core gamers as far as I know both think that PS5 is the only system worth going for for single player story driven games.

Getting DC exclusivity or their own Marvel games on Xbox will really help change the conversation. As right now people still think PS5 is worth getting over Xbox for story driven games, at least within the casual market.

MS has to make the mass consumer see differently in this regard.

Microsoft should buy EA, WB, Ubisoft, Sega, & Capcom within the next 10 2 years
Then maybe they’ll move up to second place. Maybe.

Why though? Marvel games aren't sony exclusive, spider-man only exists because marvel approached them for an exclusive marvel game, with a list of characters and insomniac chose spider-man.
This license isn't for perpetuity and they probably had to negotiate again for miles morales and the upcoming spider-man 2, if marvel wants someone else to make games after that, that is what's going to happen; so to completely make all of DC exclusive to xbox makes no sense at all.
Why do people always say this? Marvel is just choosing to have their most popular characters have mainline games exclusive to Playstation. It has nothing to do with Sony lending Spiderman for Marvel to use in the MCU.

Or perhaps Disney is a Playstation fanboy and thinks only Sony makes good games. If Dr. Strange doesnt pull numbers. Watch Sony have more leverage.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Just license Tank Girl so the greatest Comic Book Movie ever created can get a proper video game.

LdhO.gif

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I think XBOX has enough now.

When all those studios starting pumping out content, there will be little room for releases.

ryzen1

I guess MS already has some good SP games in their pipeline.
In addition MS already got a huge value for their platform with the game pass.

If that isnt enough for people to switch, you shouldnt force them by snatching IPs.
Just give them even more value for the money. People who are interested will consider that.

Shubh_C63

Now that is actually a good idea.
But marvel wanted a way in with games (other than old spidey titles with Acti?).
WB already has firm foot in modern gaming. I drool for anything Rocksteady can put out.

Cautiously optimistic on Suicide Squad and Gotham knights because guts say they won't be good.
but if 70B can happen, DC exclusivity is definitely not out of the question. dear god.

Ozriel

M$FT
Hellblade 2 is AAA? I never once heard that about Hellblade 1.

You’ve gone from “Microsoft won’t greenlight single player games with high production values on Gamepass” to “im not sure Hellblade 2 is AAA even though it’s single player and has spectacular production values”.

Let’s not move goalposts here.

I know nothing about Avowed but then again I'm guessing neither do you.

First person open world AAA RPG set in the Pillars of Eternity world, with magic and melee combat.

‘Nothing’ 🙄

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This was one of the only purchases I think I could get behind when all the rumoured WB sale stuff was going on. I thought it would make more sense to grab WB and get all the devs, but the issue is I guess your not actually buying DC right? Or the rights to Lego?
looks like no one was interested to buy them in the end but I did think it would be cool to get them if someone else was going to snap them up. Lord of the rings games etc could have been a good get.

Godot25

Banned
Ehh, nope.
Outside of fact that you will have problems when license will eventually expire (and it will expire) and that's huge problem when you rely on instant access subscription service, you are creatively shackling your devs.
It would be cool for exposure of GP, that's for sure, but I don't think that Microsoft after ActiBlizz deal needs comic book characters to succeed, because they have plenty of their own IPs.

Do I want inXile to work on comic book game instead of steampunk RPG? Fuck no. Microsoft has also unreal amount of IP's for devs to choose from. I would rather have new Banjo, new Crash, new Spyro, new Quake, new Prey, new Hexen, new Prototype or Singularity etc.

But that's just me.

Ozriel

M$FT
The problem is the game should be good. That's the difficult part. Even the best superhero IP, like Avengers, it's nothing is the game is bad.

I wonder why you didn’t express this same sentiment in the Wolverine announcement thread.

“I don’t even know of Starfield’s budget or quality”

😂😂😂😂😂

Ozriel

M$FT
On topic:

It’s not about superhero IP. The market reacts well to cinematic, AAA games with solid visuals and spectacular set pieces.
OP should be calling for MS to invest more in games like these vs pushing for exclusivity for DC games.

We’re already well covered with DC games between the new Gotham game and the suicide squad game…plus the announcer Wonder Woman game. The rest of the DC stable is kinda bland.

mcjmetroid

Sony doesn't have as much money as MS and are not going to go that route, neither are Nintendo.

Whatever you want to believe it or not MS bought those companies so Amazon or Apple wouldn't get their hands on them. It was never just to "crush" Sony. It's a small part of a bigger plan.

I could agree if there was no superhero options on Xbox but it's far from being the case, i dont think most of us would want any of their actual studios to have to be working on some Marvel or DC IP, them working on gaming IP or simply new IP is perfect.

Plus we're already overloaded with these things on the cinema industry, not sure how repeating this on the videogames' one would be good, i get they sell well but oof.

Playstation has to and will be the console for superheroes, but as i said, as multi we're getting new Gotham, Suicide Squad, the Avengers, Guardian of the Galaxy, that Firexis marvel strategy game, the Wonder Woman one, the TLOU's co-creator one, next Netherealm's fighting game will 100% be superhero stuff etc, i mean we've been getting 1 superhero game announced per month in the second half of 2021, and many more to come. Enough

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Microsoft dont need to try and compete with Sony by copying what they do. They should do their own thing and let Sony do their own thing. That way for gamers its a win win

I think MS could use COD as a leverage to get spider man.

But anyway, there were rumors that MS is looking in DC. After DC Comics - for example - are in bad state and require some money injections already.

Top Bottom