• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Needs To Use The FS2020 Engine For A Next-Gen Crimson Skies

pVsQdIU.jpg

XB4I2OM.jpg

I keep looking at this game and am just constantly impressed with the talent and capabilities of Asobo Studios here. I know MS doesn't own them as a studio, but they should seriously consider doing so, because this type of tech would be such a great asset for their other internal studios to use (such as 343i, who honestly need all the help they can get :S). Ninja Theory, Playground Games and The Coalition I really think they'll be MS's heavy-hitter studios in terms of setting visual standards for next-gen, and whether MS actually buys Asobo or develops an even deeper collaborative partnership with them similar to Sony with Bluepoint Studios, I would easily add Asobo in that mix as well. Hell, FS2020 is already setting the bar in many ways.

dsmeaHx.jpg

XhNhrDJ.jpg

But I digress; MS's July show wasn't a smash hit (let's be honest; it was a bit of a fail outside of some of the game announcements), but one of the things they did get right was indicating a willingness to bring back some classic IP of theirs. Mainly referring to Fable here, but who says it has to stop there. Some teases of MechWarrior have been had; whether they will amount to anything is anyone's guess. But another well-received IP of theirs back in the day was Crimson Skies, and I think leveraging talent like Asobo would be very useful in bringing that IP back in a big way.

51QGXGK03YL.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ajUyGFkq4GBI0o7u63nxxMnOJBT-76EtaF2tSHxEHM-89cg5NNVSQmnC9pKqOrbgYTLahgtwozQklzsAcIV_HS3HnbcrHfWLog

Anyhow tho, what do you all think? Would you like a next-gen reboot of something like Crimson Skies with FS2020's graphics engine? No reason for MS to not tap into the OG Xbox well; those IP may not have the resonance of Nintendo's or some of Sony's, but they're still fun games with dedicated communities and potential to be successfully iterated upon with modern technologies.

Kazza

I was thinking exactly the same. They already have a super-impressive engine in place, plus a detailed map of North America. Unless they wanted to make it fully open world (not a good idea imo, but it is a trend), they could just take chunks from the maps they already have (altered to reflect an alternative 30s USA) and "arcade-ify" the gameplay a little (from the DF video, it seems that the easy modes already do this to a certain extent) .

It would be great if they could do smaller, Yakuza-style hub cities that you could walk around when not flying. IIRC, the original did all the story telling, world building and character interaction via menus and cutscenes, but I think my way would be a better, more modern, alternative. Maybe add some occasional third-person gunplay to give players even more of a break from the flight combat (which would still form the core) and you have a unique and visually impressive console exclusive on your hand.

A multiplayer section would be easy to implement too (dogfights, similar to the original)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
But when I think about MechAssault and you know the IPs that Jordan created, when you go to like Crimom Skies, Shadowrun and Mech(he means BattleTech) its just, I think it would be really cool at some point if we could do something with Mech(he means BattleTech), obviously picked something we are not working on right now, just so you know I am not teasing something.
Maybe someday we will find all the rights will line up in the right way.

Last edited:
A game like that with VR support would be incredible.

Crimson Skies next-gen or FS2020? I believe FS2020 actually has a VR mode.

Damn, I'd have to upgrade my rig to play it at best settings but it would be worth it plus I have to upgrade my system soon anyway.

But when I think about MechAssault and you know the IPs that Jordan created, when you go to like Crimom Skies, Shadowrun and Mech(he means BattleTech) its just, I think it would be really cool at some point if we could do something with Mech(he means BattleTech), obviously picked something we are not working on right now, just so you know I am not teasing something.
Maybe someday we will find all the rights will line up in the right way.

Would say that's pointing to a possibility but some tangible proof in the future would do a lot of good. We could do with more mech combat games than just Gundam and Virtual-On.

I was thinking exactly the same. They already have a super-impressive engine in place, plus a detailed map of North America. Unless they wanted to make it fully open world (not a good idea imo, but it is a trend), they could just take chunks from the maps they already have (altered to reflect an alternative 30s USA) and "arcade-ify" the gameplay a little (from the DF video, it seems that the easy modes already do this to a certain extent) .

It would be great if they could do smaller, Yakuza-style hub cities that you could walk around when not flying. IIRC, the original did all the story telling, world building and character interaction via menus and cutscenes, but I think my way would be a better, more modern, alternative. Maybe add some occasional third-person gunplay to give players even more of a break from the flight combat (which would still form the core) and you have a unique and visually impressive console exclusive on your hand.

A multiplayer section would be easy to implement too (dogfights, similar to the original)

This sounds like a great take on modernizing it while keeping the core intact for the old-school fans. Which, of course, is always a tough balancing act, but a vital one.

That would be great.
What engine should they use to revive Blood Wake?

Damn...that's a good question xD. Who's even really done a modern-day water racing game?

Last edited:

Rudius

Crimson Skies next-gen or FS2020? I believe FS2020 actually has a VR mode.

Damn, I'd have to upgrade my rig to play it at best settings but it would be worth it plus I have to upgrade my system soon anyway.

Would say that's pointing to a possibility but some tangible proof in the future would do a lot of good. We could do with more mech combat games than just Gundam and Virtual-On.

This sounds like a great take on modernizing it while keeping the core intact for the old-school fans. Which, of course, is always a tough balancing act, but a vital one.

Damn...that's a good question xD. Who's even really done a modern-day water racing game?
I was thinking of Crimson Skies, but FS in VR will be incredible with the entire world available.

Flight Simulator 2020 is super heavy in flat. Maybe not even the 3080ti will be able to run it at max in VR.

Top Bottom