• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MS has read the market wrong regardless correcting their mistake with Xbox One" WhatCulture Gaming

H4ze

I still enjoy my Series X, the hate mongering on gaf is getting out of hand.

"There is no reason to own a Xbox muh muh cry cry" - completely retarded.

God I fucking hate you console warring kids, maybe I am just to privileged being able to buy both consoles to understand why anyone could cry that hard over glorified toys.

AmuroChan

Yeah, and that’s the problem.

There’s a reason I’m not subscribed to Netflix anymore: Because for every quality program they release, there’s a half dozen shit ones that don’t make it past a single season. Chasing content to maintain subscribers inevitably devolves into quantity over quality.

No one should be cheering for the “Netflix of Games” because we can clearly look at the state of streaming video content to see how this ends up.

I agree with you, but the fact of the matter is that MS sees Neflix's 230+ million subscribers and that's what they want. Your average Netflix subscriber doesn't care enough to cancel their sub even if most of the content is terrible. For every GP subscriber who have been complaining about the lack of 1st party releases or the quality of content, how many of them would realistically unsub from GP? I'm sure MS has that data and know that the % of potential lost subs is in an acceptable range where they can continue to do whatever they're doing. Personally, I sub to GP one month at a time. When something comes out that I want to play, I sub for just that one month and then cancel, but I'm sure I'm very much in the extreme minority. Most people I know have their GP sub stacked for years to come.

SteadyEvo

People really going scorched earth after one bad game huh 🤣

Like didn't hi-fi rush, pentiment and pyschonauts2 all release relatively recently
I want Xbox to succeed but none of the games you listed will move systems or generate much excitement. They’ve billed Redfall as their next big game and it LOOKS rough. That leaves Starfield and claims of having the most powerful console. I sold my X last month.

Umbasaborne

Banned

God I fucking hate you console warring kids, maybe I am just to privileged being able to buy both consoles to understand why anyone could cry that hard over glorified toys.
Have fun waiting another 3-4 years for the games that were announced 3-4 years ago. If you make some banners and dog pile people who speak negatively about xbox on twitter, uncle phil might even send you some ssd’s or gamepass credits!

StueyDuck

I want Xbox to succeed but none of the games you listed will move systems or generate much excitement. They’ve billed Redfall as their next big game and it LOOKS rough. That leaves Starfield and claims of having the most powerful console. I sold my X last month.
I mean if you live life so vicariously then thats on you. I didn't sell everything just because a game didn't do well 🤣

The rhetoric here is getting rather silly.

Maybe I'm a strange person but I've already bought my consoles. I see no reason to sell them. Do other games not work on your Xbox?

Edit: I fixed the minor spelling error on the word vicariously... unfortunately I had hit a U on my tiny cellular keyboard which as you may note is right next to the I and the final word ended up being spelt vicaruously instead of vicariously... I didn't realise at the time how deeply offensive and upsetting this was and have corrected it now. I do hope we can all move past this horrendous ordeal and become friends once more, my deepest apologies to everyone.

Last edited:

LQX

I remember watching a video clip of Ninja and he was basically talking about why Mixer failed; while on paper it should have not. They paid dude like 30 million to stream on Mixer then basically disregarded any of his recommendations that might improve it or make it on par with the experience on Twitch, and much of that was due to the layers and layers of approval everything had to go through to the point nothing got done. I now wonder if it the same situation most of these studios are facing. Something changed during and after the failure of XBox One, and to me the mainline Forza was the proof of that probably more than Halo. A once constant and reliable series could not get game out. It has been nearly 6 years since the last mainline Forza.

hyperbertha

I kinda felt things were going this way towards the end of the xbox one line.
First the name is just too damn confusing and I really dont think they realize just how bad it is.

I also think MS put too much on Halo to be the next system seller. They will never recapture that magic from the early days with Halo. Its just not enough of a story to keep people coming back in my opinion.

Flight Simulator, Forza and sea of thieves are really the only things I see worth a damn that are not on Playstation.
Fable would be great as well... but not done and then there is the starfall game.... It just seems like a doomed console.
The understated naming is on purpose. Its like BMW. The car models have really obscure confusing names. So the brand itself gets the limelight. But unlike BMW, xbox is nowhere near building up that brand recognition. They want to turn xbox into a brand that is ubiquitous with entertainment, and I'm pretty sure they eventually want it to exist entirely in the cloud. Its a horrible disgusting vision.

A lot of those people aren't wrong. You make play most all Xbox games on a PC or streaming from any device, and they lackluster 1st party support for the last decade makes Xbox in many eyes purely reserved as a secondary gaming system to compliment Sony rather than actually challenge them.

People really going scorched earth after one bad game huh 🤣

Like didn't hi-fi rush, pentiment and pyschonauts2 all release relatively recently
Hi-fi Rush and Pentiment are indie-level games.

Psychonauts 2 was mid 2021 and a multi-platform game. Xbox hadn't released a AAA game in a year and a half before Redfall, which they've been touting as a huge, tent-pole release for years now.

Last edited:
I will admit that I bought the Series X on hope and if I had owned the PS5 first I probably wouldn't have bought it. I can't say I regret it though and I won't sell it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Hi-fi Rush and Pentiment are indie-level games.

Psychonauts 2 was mid 2021 and a multi-platform game. Xbox hadn't released a AAA game in a year and a half before Redfall, which they've been touting as a huge, tent-pole release for years now.
People cling on to 2021 like it was the greatest year of all time because xbox put 3 good games. Sony and nintendo do that every year

Who remembers the pre and early gen Fud period when Jim Ryan was going to damage and hurt the PS brand? Hilarious in hindsight. In reality, Jim Ryan could go down as the most successful ceo playstation have ever had.
People talked so much shit about Tim Apple too and he's literally turned Apple into the most valuable company on Earth.

There's something to be said for having a steady hand at the wheel in a mature industry.

I bought a Series X early last year and qfor me personally it has been a series of disappointments ever since:

-they shut down the BC program when there are so many games that desperately need 4k/60 updates.

-Starfield gets delayed

-Halo Infinite turns out to be a disaster on every level- campaign too! MS allows 343 to force Cross Play vs PC, makes the game "free to play" but doesn't add any good content until Forge, not even new maps. Then we find out there's no expansion being worked on, which is needed to improve and add variety to what I consider the most disappointing Halo game.

-Starfield gets delayed for a year.

Redfall 30 fps/ Buggy pos on console

Forza Motorsport was supposed to have released already yet they've gone into silent mode on it with no release date.

* Then there's all the games in development hell which is just crazy.

When Starfield turns out to be 30 fps that will be the next scandal.

Only a warrior thinks the way you do. Ot to mention you just used a straw man to try to paint Gaffers in a certain light.
You are simply wrong. People are angry. What do you expect on a hardcore gaming forumn anyway? You paid $550 too did you not? The reason for the sorry state of the industry is the passive, no, the DEFENSIVE mindset of fans of an console/developer/franchise etc.

There's also quite a lot of irony in your post considering you are just as worked up over the same hobby, the problem being your anger is directed in the wrong direction. Actually, its not even directed somewhere meaningful. You're focused on petty tribalism dude and you're probably wrong about 90% of who you imagine to be "anti Microsoft".

If console warring is the language you speak then consider this, Sony and Nintendo are making Microsoft look bad! That's not only because they're destroying Xbox in sales though. Some of the biggest fanboys I've seen, historically, are slamming Microsoft now! You know Dealer Gaming's podcast? They were venting big time over their disappointment after Redfall released. "Do better! Stop fucking up MS!" etc etc

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this stuff and in the end who does this hurt? Xbox owners.

H4ze

Only a warrior thinks the way you do. Ot to mention you just used a straw man to try to paint Gaffers in a certain light.
You are simply wrong. People are angry. What do you expect on a hardcore gaming forumn anyway? You paid $550 too did you not? The reason for the sorry state of the industry is the passive, no, the DEFENSIVE mindset of fans of an console/developer/franchise etc.

There's also quite a lot of irony in your post considering you are just as worked up over the same hobby, the problem being your anger is directed in the wrong direction. Actually, its not even directed somewhere meaningful. You're focused on petty tribalism dude and you're probably wrong about 90% of who you imagine to be "anti Microsoft".

If console warring is the language you speak then consider this, Sony and Nintendo are making Microsoft look bad! That's not only because they're destroying Xbox in sales though. Some of the biggest fanboys I've seen, historically, are slamming Microsoft now! You know Dealer Gaming's podcast? They were venting big time over their disappointment after Redfall released. "Do better! Stop fucking up MS!" etc etc

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this stuff and in the end who does this hurt? Xbox owners.
Of course, Xbox has to do better lol, why the fuck would you try to paint me as a console warrior after my initial post? Makes no sense.

All I wanted to say is, that people here are sometimes crying for crying sake.
Redfall is a big turd, everyone knows that, the PC version is also pretty damn bad.

Stop acting like I just shat into your holy grail dude.

H4ze

Have fun waiting another 3-4 years for the games that were announced 3-4 years ago. If you make some banners and dog pile people who speak negatively about xbox on twitter, uncle phil might even send you some ssd’s or gamepass credits!

I don't give a shit if I have to wait a bit longer, no matter if it's a Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo game, as long as they are polished at release.
If that's the most witty crap you could come up with I feel bad for you. Don't get personally offended when I spoke to the general mass man. In the end, we all just want good games.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Both MS and Sony were wrong to release so early. The difference between the previous generation and this are really only apparent to a very small portion of the market.

I have never made a $500 sympathy purchase.

Xbox needs a killer game. Maybe Starfield will do it, but who knows. Halo should have been it, but while it was fun, it was not enough. SW sells HW.
Just one?

My man, Xbox needs SEVERAL killer games over a period of years, if they ever want to get some real positive PR, brand support, loyalty and goodwill. They had a fine year two years ago, to be honest. While Halo wasn't what we'd hoped it would be, things weren't too bad. But since then, we really haven't gotten anything noteworthy, have we. I enjoyed Psychonauts 2 tremendously. I enjoyed Pentiment immensely. I enjoyed Hi-Fi Rush too, but let's be honest here, those games aren't system sellers.

This is beginning to frustrate me because, it's been far too long now. One can only make excuses for them, for so long. They now have roughly 65 billion dollars for the Xbox division (if the appeal falls through, which it might), they better out that money to damn good use. But smaller developers if you have to, to help bolster your offerings. But for God's sake, get the right people to make the right games. That is literally your only job. That's what you're in the market for. You're a gaming company. If you can't do that, then why are you in this business? Diversify then. Do something else that you're good at, because clearly this ain't it.

Forspoken and other Sony blunders are tolerated, because they come few and far between. For the most part, PS has built its reputation on qualify titles - they generally deliver. They've earned their die-hards. MS, for many years, has underdelivered. They've also earned their critics, because of it. People can say many things about Sony, but they can't say they make bad games. And while Xbox doesn't make bad games really (they really aren't bad), their games don't deliver anywhere near what gamers expect. They leave too much on (or off, as the case may be) the table.

Ans for the life of me, I can't understand why this is so hard to nail? If Sony can do it, and Nintendo can do it, and Capcom can do it, and Square Enix can do it, and Activision can do it, and Take-Two can do it, why the fnck can't you do it, when you have more money than all of them put together?

I love GamePass, and I love Xbox. But these days, I don't like them... I don't like them, at all.

Signed,

A Green Rat

Unknown?

I remember watching a video clip of Ninja and he was basically talking about why Mixer failed; while on paper it should have not. They paid dude like 30 million to stream on Mixer then basically disregarded any of his recommendations that might improve it or make it on par with the experience on Twitch, and much of that was due to the layers and layers of approval everything had to go through to the point nothing got done. I now wonder if it the same situation most of these studios are facing. Something changed during and after the failure of XBox One, and to me the mainline Forza was the proof of that probably more than Halo. A once constant and reliable series could not get game out. It has been nearly 6 years since the last mainline Forza.
In Forzas case, that's a good thing. They kept pumping them out so quickly it devalued the brand and gave the series fatigue.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I don't give a shit if I have to wait a bit longer, no matter if it's a Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo game, as long as they are polished at release.
If that's the most witty crap you could come up with I feel bad for you. Don't get personally offended when I spoke to the general mass man. In the end, we all just want good games.

A "bit" longer mate ? 2+ years aren't long enough for you ? Sure, you might always be occupied by playing "X flavour of the month game®" on Gamepass but the "hate mongering" you're referring to is completely justified due to MS's complete ineptitude which has been going on for years and years, some people (me included) just got tired of all the infinte PR bullshit that they've been feeding us for the las 2+ years ffs.

Guess what, i'm one of the idiots that actually believed all the bullshit about the "world's most powerful console", "MUH TERAFLOPSSS" and all the "trust us bros, AAA games are coming !" and jumped in in November of 2020 (actually pre-ordered the damn thing) only to regret my 500€ purchase (add another 500+ to that for games i re-bought on the XSX) 2 years down the line, got tired of the bullshit, went to Gamestop 2+ months ago and traded my XSX for a PS5 and that was it (and couldn't be happier with the switch).
You know what's funny ? I actually convinced 2 of my best buddies which were PS fans (but not "fanboys" since they know their shit when it comes to vidya gaems) to actually switch platforms this time around due to gamepass (best deal in gaming®), the new 70-80€ game price-tag that Sony pushed 2+ years ago (" MS doesn't do that" i said, except they actually did 2 years later), Backwards compatibility and the...promises of new exciting AAA exclusives.
Now, i'm the one with a PS5 and they're "stuck" in the xbox ecosystem (they're not enjoying it for the same reason i did (which basically translates to "overpromising and underdelivering").

See where the "unjustified hate mongering" comes from now ? People are just tired, plus, i didn't exactly spend 500+€ just to play 3rd party games and indies , nor is it my problem that MS can't get their shit together, i was a customer of theirs, their job was to provide me (and others) with a steady stream of good/interesting/quality content and my job was to pay them for it, alas, they failed.

Now, on a less serious note : Remember when Sony also faced the same problem the first couple of years with the PS3 ? remember the meme "SOONY®" ? Well, things got reversed this time around and the way this is going, the MS's next console could be called Xbox series SOON if things don't change ;)

Cheers

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'll laugh when Sony is the only one in the market, charging whatever the fuck they want for their HW, then see everyone complain about it.
Logically you'd be right, but the two times Sony dominated the market suggests the opposite.
at the height of their dominance, consoles were under £199 & new AAA games were £29.99

Rudius

I think Xbox is still a good platform if you're a super casual gamer who just wants to dabble sometimes. Get a Series S and sign up to gamepass, it'll satisfy you just nicely.

Would also be great if you're younger/early teens and don't really have your own income yet. As a kid, having access to all that content for $20 a month would have been great. But eventually you get to a point where time is more valuable than money and it just loses the value. Especially if you have a PC.
That's my sentiment as well. I don't even have time to play PSPlus games, much fewer in number, let alone gamepass. Teen me would have his hands full, but the adult version cares almost nothing for quantity, only quality.

Rudius

Microsoft has made a number of mistakes. Lacklustester 1st party support, stronger system on paper that routinely performs worse than PS5, no real exclusive games since you can build a cheap PC and play all MS 1st party games on day one, and Game Pass cannibalizes software sales which is probably a big reason why 3rd party support isn't as strong as what Sony has. There is no remedy here without backpedaling. PC and Xbox day and date releases devalues the need for an Xbox, and Game Pass makes the platform a less attractive place for non-1st party studios in many cases.
Only 1 year of true exclusively for Xbox would solve their problems. After the initial hype and more than 80% of the sales they can release on PC and gamepass.

I thought releasing games on PC would hurt Playstation sales, but it seems unaffected, so the delayed port strategy must be working for them.

Eotheod

People selling consoles literally over the lack of performance of the "tent pole" titles is just mind-boggling to me. These things cost $850AUD now, and when you sell it I very much doubt you are getting that value back at all. If there are no games for you to play outside the AAA ones, I mean sticking with PlayStation is probably the better option I guess? Who the hell knows, could have horrible performance from their games tomorrow and the world will still truck along offering alternatives that do just as well in that space of gaming life you offer yourself.

I just wouldn't put the performance of a handful of titles as the decider on whether to keep an expensive investment or sell it at a loss and go buy another expensive gaming console. Especially when I have no clue if that one will suit me either or end up on fire for me to complain about. Old man yells at clouds is how I am starting to feel about gaming, these types of forums and just general everyday shit. I'm also starting to ramble like one, so I don't know ignore me or some shit I give no fucks what you do really.
Only 1 year of true exclusively for Xbox would solve their problems. After the initial hype and more than 80% of the sales they can release on PC and gamepass.

I thought releasing games on PC would hurt Playstation sales, but it seems unaffected, so the delayed port strategy must be working for them.
Stupidest decision Microsoft could ever do and I am so glad no one listens to us at GAF because holy shit we come up with stupid shit. Kneecapping PC sales just because consoles want to feel special again is utterly ignorant of a market wanting to hand over a money bag without much struggle.

Also Game Pass is here to stay, can people seriously get the hell over it already. To take that away would kill the Xbox brand in one fell swoop, same if PlayStation did it with their clone. It is here, its a digital delivery model that works, just not for your enthusiasts who browse forums more than they play games.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

After Phil's statements today on XCast, it sure does look like their PC day one strategy is whats killing their chances of being a true competitor. He states that great games are not going to drive people to buy the console. If they are on PC, then there is no reason to buy the console.

phant0m

This Redfall release has really screwed Microsoft. They absolutely cannot afford to release software in an unfinished state.

Given that everyone expects Bethesda games to be a little bit rough around the edges. I think they're in a pretty bad spot now.

If Starfield isn't looking so good right now, they're in a bit of a damned if they do/don't situation with releasing or delaying it. People will be furious if it's delayed. People will say the brand is synonymous with failure if they put it out.

Wow.

Should've delayed Redfall.
it's not even unfinished. even if it were perfectly polished with no technical issues and ran a locked 60 fps, it's just straight-up a bad game if you watched a few of the reviews

gunplay feels like ass
0 animated cutscenes in a AAA shlooter
shlooter mechnics (colored item/weapon rarities that make no sense in world)
huge areas with no enemies
non-existant story exposition
basically no immersive sim elements from the leading modern immersive sim dev

Last edited:

saintjules

maybe I am just to privileged being able to buy both consoles to understand why anyone could cry that hard over glorified toys.

I think that's it. For us who are able to buy more than one Console at a time, we don't have to worry about things like this.

If I could only own one Console for an entire generation and chose the wrong one, I'd probably cry too in that sense, lol.

Edit: H4ze H4ze I would normally use this guy for my points, but he's right.

Last edited:

Neff

The best reason to own a Xbox in 2023 is that you have four generations of gaming under one roof. That's pretty damn awesome and chasing backwards compatibility was a very smart thing to do on MS' part.

However, they're not investing enough in incentives to stay with Xbox going forward. The appeal of old classics will inevitably wane as they age/get delisted/lose player activity, and they're drastically underestimating how much gamers want new experiences, relying too much on third party to do the heavy lifting, which of course you can get elsewhere.

Must-have exclusives are something they should be taking very seriously. Even with the BC, I spend way more time on my PS5 than I do on my Series X, simply because the Sony experience is broader and more unique.

Loope

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

SteadyEvo

I mean if you live life so vicaruously then thats on you. I didn't sell everything just because a game didn't do well 🤣

Maybe I'm a strange person but I've already bought my consoles. I see no reason to sell them. Do other games not work on your Xbox?
Vicariously?
I mean if you live life so vicaruously then thats on you. I didn't sell everything just because a game didn't do well 🤣

you’re a dick. There are no games exclusive to the console that I care about so it lost its value and was collecting dust. Why do people feel the need to insult others over the internet? Vicariously? We’re on a gaming forum discussing games. Fuck outta with that…

Eotheod

Vicariously?

you’re a dick. There are no games exclusive to the console that I care about so it lost its value and was collecting dust. Why do people feel the need to insult others over the internet? Vicariously? We’re on a gaming forum discussing games. Fuck outta with that…
Because you deal in stupidity. Selling a console just because is weird and gets you no where. So if the PS5 suddenly stops making games you are interested in, would you sell that and just stop gaming all together? People don't operate like you think they do, most will actually hold onto items of high value because it is harder to depart and know you've wasted money. These consoles are not cheap, and the return value is shithouse.

H4ze

I think that's it. For us who are able to buy more than one Console at a time, we don't have to worry about things like this.

If I could only own one Console for an entire generation and chose the wrong one, I'd probably cry too in that sense, lol.

Edit: H4ze H4ze I would normally use this guy for my points, but he's right.

I follow MVG for years now, great man, always has some really nice insight and yeah, he is right here.

StueyDuck

Vicariously?

I'm sorry I made a tiny spelling error on my phone. Guess I gotta sell it now 🤣

Also what are you even on about. Acting like angry children is not "discussing games on the internet". What does "fuck outta with that" even mean? I am very confused what do with my penis here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom