• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Flight simulator confirmed VR support

Excellent decision

buh buh VR is dead.

So in the last 12 months we've had a throng of PSVR titles, HR:ALYX, Star Wars and now FS!! Come on PSVR2, launch already ffs!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PC seems the machine actually innovating.
Yeah and no.

Yeah, because it is

No, because the PC has 3 (?) competing VR companies. So if each company puts one new headset out every 3 years, you effectively get 1 new headset every 2 years. Whereas there's only one VR solution on consoles and that will be update every generation.

Not a fair comparison. Especially considering the financial state Sony was in and how early they jumped on VR (the port in the PS4 and the lightbar were built ready for VR). They took a huge risk and it paid off for them.

Either way, more VR is always good

Now all we need is Craig the game in vr. Watch out Astro bot! LOL
74063_04_halo-infinites-sh-tty-graphics-make-craig-the-brute-an-internet-hero_full.jpg

Oppoi

Wait... specific HMD exclusive support now? This needs some explaining.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Yeah and no.

Yeah, because it is

No, because the PC has 3 (?) competing VR companies. So if each company puts one new headset out every 3 years, you effectively get 1 new headset every 2 years. Whereas there's only one VR solution on consoles and that will be update every generation.

Not a fair comparison. Especially considering the financial state Sony was in and how early they jumped on VR (the port in the PS4 and the lightbar were built ready for VR). They took a huge risk and it paid off for them.

Either way, more VR is always good

I don’t really feel like PC VR is in competition? I can play any open VR game or oculus game on my headset via revive. And if a company wants to support multiple HMDs it’s pretty trivial to do so at this point.

Anyway, hell yes, sign me up, I’m buying a HOTAS for my birthday and gonna jump right the fuck into this

I don’t really feel like PC VR is in competition? I can play any open VR game or oculus game on my headset via revive. And if a company wants to support multiple HMDs it’s pretty trivial to do so at this point.

Anyway, hell yes, sign me up, I’m buying a HOTAS for my birthday and gonna jump right the fuck into this
There is some competition of which headset to buy but yeah I get your point :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There needs to be an open standard that all headsets can implement. Supporting one specific headset and not others is such a mess.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
How does one petition for a parachute mode? Because that's what's 100% necessary in VR.
Maybe something mods could add.

There needs to be an open standard that all headsets can implement. Supporting one specific headset and not others is such a mess.
There is, actually. It's just open vr.

And most games support it, you can virtually play everything anywhere (except for Oculus exclusives, but there are workarounds there too).

Can't wait to try this in VR. Hopefully the VR mode has some clever optimizations to make it run much faster than the standard mode: on a monitor you don't need high fps on such a game, but transitioning to VR everything changes.

We'll see.

TheMan

How well does PSVR work on PC? Does it at all?

There are programs you can use, like Trinus, that can force compatibility. I haven't tried it since I got a new PC and a Rift S, but my recollection is that it would be a pain in the ass to get headtracking working. I only fucked around with it for a couple of days.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is, actually. It's just open vr.

And most games support it, you can virtually play everything anywhere (except for Oculus exclusives, but there are workarounds there too).

Can't wait to try this in VR. Hopefully the VR mode has some clever optimizations to make it run much faster than the standard mode: on a monitor you don't need high fps on such a game, but transitioning to VR everything changes.

We'll see.

So why doesn't this use that, but will instead just support one specific headset?

Top Bottom