• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
MV5BMjQ2NDMwMTY3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg5OTc1NjM@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

The characters are pretty much caricatures. But I believe it’s on purpose. The movie is there to entertain you and it doesn’t pretend or try to be more than that. I really enjoy escape room type movies so I had plenty of fun with this. 7/10

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Watched Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World last night.

Seeking-a-Friend-for-the-End-of-the-World-UK-Poster.jpg

There’s a moment around the 90-minute mark where you think this film is going to end and you think the film really has stuck the landing, but it goes on for another 10 minutes and it really just hampers the final part of the film.

This really could have been a cult classic with two really great performances from Carell and Knightly, and a wonderful supporting cast.

mango drank

My tour of old Japanese movies on HBO continues.

i2ikuhD.jpg

Kwaidan: 6/10
A collection of short horror stories, like a Japanese supernatural Twilight Zone mini-marathon. I liked the first two stories, less so the last two. A cool relic either way.

MVVFUSY.jpg

Tampopo: 7/10
Delightfully absurd. It's as if Hideo Kojima and the creators of FLCL went back in time and made a spoof about food and sex. The ending drags a little, but the stuff before that is pretty good.

Nd38Jdq.jpg

House: 5/10
Wat. In terms of visuals and style, this looks like it was made in the 80s, but apparently it's from 1977. I guess the Japanese were ahead of us in that regard. Anyway, I appreciate the goofiness and inventiveness, but other than that, shrug.

INC

Just finished watching the good the bad and the ugly

Man u forget how bad the ADR is, like 90% of the people in it.

Still great regardless

Arkam

Samurai Rebellion (1967)

iu

Awesome Samurai story akin to Hari-kari narrative but not style. By that I mean it focuses on the hypocrisy of the application of Japanese honor code such as bushido. But told in a conventional fashion instead of the "time slices" of the story. Really enjoyed it. Toshiro Mifune was excellent as always and made any scene he was part of better for it. A really well done duel with some fantastic shots/scenes.

Synopsys
"Toshiro Mifune stars as Isaburo Sasahara, an aging swordsman living a quiet life until his clan lord orders that his son marry the lord's mistress, who has recently displeased the ruler. Reluctantly, father and son take in the woman, and, to the family’s surprise, the young couple fall in love. But the lord soon reverses his decision and demands the mistress’s return. Against all expectations, Isaburo and his son refuse, risking the destruction of their entire family. Director Masaki Kobayashi's Samurai Rebellion is the gripping story of a peaceful man who finally decides to take a stand against injustice."

Mr Hyde

The Burning

One of the infamous "video nasties" that tried to capitalize on the 80s slasher boom. It's a rip off of Friday the 13th, and as far as slashers goes, it's utterly worthless. It lacks the shock value of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre nor does it have the intelligence of A Nightmare on Elm Street. It doesn't even pull off its low budget style that Halloween managed so successfully.

The Burning is just another run of the mill teen slasher flick, with some decent gore scenes as its only saving grace. It's hard to believe that a dull and unimaginative movie like this has gained such infamous notoriety in horror circles. Evil Dead released in the same year and it shits all over this movie in terms of creativity, gore and visual style. But then again, Sam Raimi emerged as one the best directors of his generation, while the hack that directed this dung heap became a nobody. What's even more funny, it took almost 30 years for this fucking shit to be released uncut. And it's not even that graphic compared to other contemporary slasher flicks released in the same time.

On Netflix i've recently watched:

Kiki's Delivery Service (y)
My Neighbor Totoro (n)
Greta (y)
Deadly Illusions (n)

Will be watching Spirited Away next on Netflix. On Blu Ray I may rewatch Your Name, Weathering With You, and A Silent Voice. Also planning to rewatch Midsommar 🧸:messenger_fire:

Mr Hyde

Candyman

This is a horror film more to my liking. Based on a short story by Clive Barker, it follows a university scholar writing a thesis on an urban legend. Unbeknownst to her, she soon finds herself becoming part of this urban legend.

Candyman is written and directed in a more artistic way than your usual horror flick. It employs a minimalistic, and quite frankly brilliant, score by composer Philip Glass, and it doesn't feature any cheap thrills, while at the same time exploring complex themes about race and poverty. The movie delivers on both intelligence and shocking gore.

It has many memorable scenes and strong acting by its two main leads, Virginia Madsen and Tony Todd. I'd say Candyman is one of the best horror movies of the nineties.

NahaNago

Watched Jiang Ziya
812x1200-v1.jpg

The visuals were great at times and the action was also pretty good. I'd give the movie a rating of B. The storytelling was the weakest part of the movie. Like I feel like certain elements in the movie were suppose to have more impact than they did. They had too many different stories in this movie making it hard to make any of them truly great. I think maybe splitting several of the storylines in to separate movies would have been best. Maybe the story where Jiang Ziya became great and an introduction of many of the characters for future films. A movie about Jian Ziya and the little fox girl finding her family. The last ones could have been fighting the demons and gods.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I watched Justice League last week before watching Zack Snyder's version. Original cut was bad and rushed. Snyder Cut is definitely better, but still not that good. Lots of weird cuts and moments that should have been left out. Plenty of bad CGI still.

I also watched Godzilla vs Kong yesterday and it wasn't amazing, but still very entertaining. Fight scenes were good, special effects were amazing. Still too many human plots and characters.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I also watched Godzilla vs Kong yesterday and it wasn't amazing, but still very entertaining. Fight scenes were good, special effects were amazing. Still too many human plots and characters.

I maintain that Gareth Edwards' 2014 Godzilla is a masterpiece, and wrongfully criticized for using actual monster footage sparingly, interspersed with the human perspective.

The way that movie is framed and shot with human or human-sized objects always in the foreground, with believable camera positions and movement really sold the scale and terror of these creatures, which is a huge plus for me in the genre. Not to mention the lumbering movements of the beasts and the subtle focus on the wake of each blow following the debris.

KoTM and GvK felt like Bayformers meets Pacific Rim Uprising, with sweeping camera moments that instantly jolt your disbelief into gear. Quick "cool" moves in the choreography that break the illusion of weight and scale.

Now add to that stupidly "comedic" characters to address the complaints and you've lost me.

The human element in 2014's Godzilla was needed and was used to give context and minor stakes to the movement of the plot. Ford's journey to his family via his EOD role in the military, admiral Stenz' realization that he can't just nuke these things and the highly quotable moment with Serizawa. The eerie HALO jump at the point when Ford's basically lost all trace of his family and is no longer just trying to get to San Francisco.

Godzilla was framed like a deity in this flick rather than an oversized cranky iguana fighting over dominance.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Godzilla vs. Kong - It was alright. I am not really into these monster movies all that much, but I enjoyed it. That first battle was wild.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Last Friday I noticed Netflix added the Rambo trilogy, pleasant suprise. Also a wierd moment of synchronicity seeing last week or so I made I mention of Rambo being a cool game using MGSV as template while a few days later someone made a tread of the absence of said games. Funny!

Anyways I watched about 80% of First Blood (going to finish and perhaps watch part 2 today) and really liked it. It's been a good while since I saw it last, only really remembering the last scenes..

Awesome movie still. I got really angry and frustrated at those cops, assholes! And seeing Rambo go from wandering the streets in a small town looking for a bite to a hour later hanging from a cliff wall getting sniped at out of a helicopter..

thatescalatedquickly.jpeg

On a serious note I really appreciate the darker themes. Still holds true to this day

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Yeah that shocked me too..
:messenger_winking: It's not for everybody. That being said, it's been quite a long time since I've watched it. My kids were still pretty young. But I guess that first experience watching it with them was so meaningful, our family has attached a lot of sentimentality to it over the years. They keep buying me Totoro shirts every year for Christmas still. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
:messenger_winking: It's not for everybody. That being said, it's been quite a long time since I've watched it. My kids were still pretty young. But I guess that first experience watching it with them was so meaningful, our family has attached a lot of sentimentality to it over the years. They keep buying me Totoro shirts every year for Christmas still. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
No it was an awsome film, I watched it with the family too. I didnt know you could get T shirts either, thats so funny they still get you one. I might get the missus one for her birthday now you've said.

I think i've run out of baby yoda ones I can buy..

R6Rider

Gold Member
I watched the monster hunter movie...and i liked it.

Come at me like a diablos if you can.
I forgot I even watched this movie last weekend.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The monsters were well done, except for their scale, but I wish there were more of them in the film.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Passion of the Christ - still Brutal. I think the movie is amazing at showing what Jesus went through, but it in some capacity fails to identify who he is, and why it mattered.

Kong v Godzilla - Fun and looks great in HDR.

NahaNago

watched Hobbs and Shaw
OIP.e8ygnz1bpzGz4RRthNdLyAHaFD

The movie had potential but they put too many storylines. Personally I think they should have focused on just one fixing one family back together. The girl with the dark hair in the movie. I don't even know why she is in the trailer. You see her for like 2 minutes in the movie. I will say that I loved seeing the family element of both sides and now want a more mission impossible like movie for the Shaw Family and a fast and the furious style move for Hobbs Samoan's family. Like seriously I really liked the Samoan element with the beautiful scenery. Hobbs mother is just too young looking. She looked at least 10 years younger than her sons. The action was great Idris was awesome as the bad guy and I left feeling sorry for the guy. I would love it if they did movies of either Shaw and then Hobbs and then came back to do another Hobbs and Shaw movie. This movie kinda felt like some early 90s action movie but with less cringey one liners. I'd give a rating of B-.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched "Girl on the Train" yesterday.

I don't know the book and thought the movie was pretty entertaining. Didn't see that end coming.

7/10

INC

Passion of the Christ - still Brutal. I think the movie is amazing at showing what Jesus went through, but it in some capacity fails to identify who he is, and why it mattered.

Kong v Godzilla - Fun and looks great in HDR.

Well its Mel Gibson so the point was to blame the jews I expect

I'm on an old skool vibe lately, given up with modern cinema largely

Watched the good the bad and the ugly, ADR is horrific, but awesome piece of cinema regardless

Been trying to find pale rider online somewhere

Last edited:
There is a good reason for bad ADR in the spaghetti westerns

none of the dialogue is completely in sync because Leone rarely shot his scenes with synchronized sound.[48] Various reasons have been cited for this: Leone often liked to play Morricone's music over a scene and possibly shout things at the actors to get them in the mood. Leone cared more for visuals than dialogue (his English was limited, at best). Given the technical limitations of the time, recording the sound cleanly would have been difficult in most of the extremely wide shots Leone frequently used. Also, a standard practice in Italian films at this time was to shoot silently and postdub. Whatever the actual reason, all dialogue in the film was recorded in postproduction.

Bad Trip. Eric Andre and and his friend go on a road trip to confess his love for a highschool crush. Hidden camera pranks with all the weird shit you would expect from Andre and Jackass. You probably know if you're going to like this. Found it hilarious, though it did taper off a bit near the end.

NahaNago

Watched Fast Five
Fast+Five+Album+Poster.jpg

Hobbs is a force of nature in this movie. He is almost a different character in the other movies with how much he is softened. He goes from being the terminator back to being a more mature version of the rock. Almost forgot to review the movie. I liked the heist but would have preferred seeing more races rather than some twisted metal type car fight. The movie was fun to watch and over the top. I'd give this movie a rating of B-. The movie jumped around a lot with the characters since it needed to provide screen time to all of the crew. Gal Gadot character although interesting at first ended up being just the usual sexy female character. Ludacris being some tech wiz seems weird to me since even when we first met him he was just I thought a street racing car guy/mechanic but now he is an ex-bank robber and tech wizard. Really wish we had got to see more of Gal Gadot character's history and skills before they removed her from the franchise. My complaint as usual for fast and the furious is that it simply became mission impossible with cars.

Last edited:

Valonquar

MVVFUSY.jpg

Tampopo: 7/10
Delightfully absurd. It's as if Hideo Kojima and the creators of FLCL went back in time and made a spoof about food and sex. The ending drags a little, but the stuff before that is pretty good.
If you enjoyed Tampopo, I highly recommend you look up Minbo no Onna. It's difficult to find a good quality copy of, but it's in public domain as well. It's about an anti-extortion lawyer that teaches companies how to avoid being taken advantage of by Yakuza. It is fucking hilarious. The director, Juzo Itami, was severely beaten by Yakuza in real life after making this film.

MayauMiao

Last movie I watch was Justice League Snyder Cut, after that nothing else.

I think I can count with one hand of the number of movies I watched last year no thanks to Covid. Also, the quality of Hollywood movies lately have been the worst.

I've binge watching tons of animes lately (again Covid lockdown), discovering shows that I often didn't had the time to watch, starting with Attack on Titan late last year followed by Demon Slayer.

Goddammit I'm itching to watch Demon Slayer Mugen Train but I can't find it on any streaming service and cinema around my area ain't opening anytime soon.

became mission impossible with cars.
yeah and Ocean's 11. It's crazy how many installments we have now and the franchise still seems to have gas in the tank. Not sure they can or will ever go back to the days when tuning and testing cars was a big part. This over the top action and cast really has paid off though.

what did the sign say at the beginning? I think there was an edited one saying I hate everyone? Maybe
Rewatched Die Hard 3.
519XP72DAHL.jpg

It had been quite a long time as I usually just go back the original. Still a solid 8/10 to me.
Just a really fun movie, love the dynamic between Willis and Jackson and Jeremy Irons is great as the villain. About the only big criticism I have is that the final showdown felt a bit underwhelming. I think they should have just finished it with a big showdown on the boat.

Also as a side note I'm surprised this movie hasn't been cancelled. Lots of racial tension between the McClane and Zeus, and it's mostly Zeus initiating. At one point McClane even calls him out for coming across as racist towards whites. There's also a scene of kids getting into a dangerous situation for not trusting a white cop.

NahaNago

yeah and Ocean's 11. It's crazy how many installments we have now and the franchise still seems to have gas in the tank. Not sure they can or will ever go back to the days when tuning and testing cars was a big part. This over the top action and cast really has paid off though.
I agree that it has. I don't mind that much it going this route I just wish they had some spin offs that actually focused more on the cars and racing. I know Tokyo Drift isn't as beloved as the rest of the series but I really would like for them to explore possibly other countries doing races. We pretty much see that street races occur all over the world in these movies so why not focus on other characters from that part of the world. So many interesting locations and people to have street races from baton rouge, to las vegas, to saudi arabia, to egypt, india, china, japan again, south korea, malaysia, thailand , south america again, and more. Why not have them go the Ryu route and have someone go all over the world and challenge street racers.

Skipped Fast and the furious 6 after going half way through because I really wanted to see the Jason Statham fast and furious movie. So Furious 7 was a lot of fun to watch as usual. Jason did the whole Chuck Norris thing where he would pop up out of nowhere and attack. It is so weird that Jason Statham became a good guy after the body count in this movie. Like another youtube comment mentioned how did the hacker girl see Brian take down those soldiers when she had her head covered. This movie was even more over the top with the stunts than past movies. The girl fight was awesome. The fighting banter between Brian and Tony Jaa was short and amusing. I will say that I was expecting more car skills shown in the movie when they were using their hometown streets as a way to play hot potato. The reasoning for Brian to leave the team was kinda destroyed in the fate and the furious. I mean I get that they needed to find a way to remove him but if you pretty much act like the reason you remove him doesn't even matter in the next movie then use a different reason to remove him. I do look forward to the day when they pass off this series to the next generation of Torettos and O'conners. I'd give this movie a rating of B. The action was great, the fights were fun( so many fights for street racing series), and the ending was touching.

R10e21884e61ba555356ad5a512c1eb6b

Mr Hyde

Blade Runner Final Cut

Sometimes I feel I'm the only one who hasn't seen this movie. I don't know why it has slipped under my radar for so long, but I guess I've never really wanted to see it. But last week I bought the Final Cut edition and finally watched it. And my God was it a good movie.

I love the esthetic of the film, the rundown society and the mesh of future and past, all blending together in a stylistic way. It's not hard to understand why this movie is seen as a landmark title in the Cyberpunk genre.

Harrison Ford delivers a great performance as Deckard. He really sets the tone for his character and I very much enjoyed his journey connecting the dots of the quest given to him. In fact, everyone involved turned in a very good performance. Both Sean Young and Rutger Hauer are outstanding in their roles, and Ridley Scott really shines in the directors chair. One of his finest works.

I understand now why Blade Runner is still regarded as one of the best sci fi movies of all time. It has a well written plot with interesting characters, presenting dark and thoughtful themes what's it like being human. The cinematography is moody and atmospheric and it doesn't resort to cheap action thrills, but rather go for a thrilling detective story with occasional bursts of action. It's very well paced and holds your attention all the way to the end.

Now I'm ready for the sequel. And it's directed by Denis Villenevue, one of the most interesting and unique directors working within the film industry today. What could go wrong?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The New Mutants

Given the history of this film - rewrites, extensive reshoots to alter tone, numerous delays - I was expecting something awful but it was alright. Nothing special, but far from terrible. It was still obvious that some of the threads weren't that tight, and a little focus was lost during the reshoots (leading to a blase ending), but I don't understand why the studio was so afraid to release this to theaters sooner. It even has faint but noticeable tie-ins to the larger X-Men cinematic universe that would have been timely had this thing released years ago when it was originally reshot.

It is so weird that Jason Statham became a good guy after the body count in this movie
haha dude killed Han and now he's part of the family

Vin Diesal must be more than a bit worried that The Rock is starting to overshadow his own character. He's the glue, but the way the movies have gotten (slapstick and crazy) he's kind of the odd one out as he's a bit too stiff.

Q_5n-18jyCHkFE-vVS7XALfN97GpttxWB24B8RoCqxaLaeW7w4u3ljzekBXe_nXEMYDGkkVMnZ6Jbf843z2Klsv3Ol7ua8jWJofJYeUYwR3Q7qWfDWCOsF7BkOEheRy58ufpUZPS1j7kk071C7-CDw

This movie was so good. The plot is that Cage can see the future, but only 2 minutes ahead. So there are lots of sequences where we see a dozen Nick Cages walking around trying to figure out the right way to do things. Real silly action movie that takes itself pretty seriously but there were some moments were I could not stop laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom