• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Watched Jellyfish with my wife.

MV5BMzBkN2E1ZWMtYmYzZC00ZDU2LWEwMzQtMmE1MjM0ZGYzOWI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTkwMzIyODA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I had watched the Kermode and Mayo review. They said glowing things about it, and it seemed like it was centered on the main character being into stand-up comedy, which my wife especially has always loved. The movie is kind of a masterpiece, made with, what I'm given to understand, almost no money.

But I forewarn anyone interested, it wasn't a comedy...

GeekyDad

Watched Late Night yesterday.

Late_Night_poster.jpeg

That cover pic kinda says most of what you need to know about it. It's kinda stupid at times, very predictable. I think it was the directing that was a little off, keeping it from being a bit more than what it was. But I found it very funny at times, very sweet, and ultimately enjoyable. Emma Thompson...man, she's always been lovable for me because her acting always feels sincere, but dear God, just like Al Pacino, she also over-the-fuck acts like a junkie hooked on heroin. But like I said, she does it with so much conviction (also like Pacino), it's just impossible not to roll with it.

Again, fun movie in a stupid, lovable way.

Last edited:
The_Raid_2011_poster.jpg

The Raid - one of the best action/martial arts movies ever imo. Loved how "tight" it was with this claustrophobia feel from it. Score from Mike Shinoda was banger, too.

220px-The_Night_Comes_for_Us.png

Night Comes for Us - pretty good action flick too, not as good as the raid obviously but I liked it too. More goreish. And Julie Estelle is such a badass in this.
When it comes to action movies indonesia shits on hollywood, imo.

Cube_The_Movie_Poster_Art.jpg

Cube - Watched this yesterday while I was drinking with mate. Pretty good "trap" movie actually. Black guy in a group kinda annoyed me (and his acting was bad imo) + ending was kinda disappointing for me because it was such a typical trope to these kind of movies.

Last edited:

Valonquar

thumbnail

Watched these with a friend who hadn't seen them before. Takes the Groundhog Day premise and turns it into a horror\comedy movie. Pretty fun and well done for what it was. Should be immediately followed up by both Groundhog Day and \ or Boss Level.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

The_Raid_2011_poster.jpg

The Raid - one of the best action/martial arts movies ever imo. Loved how "tight" it was with this claustrophobia feel from it. Score from Mike Shinoda was banger, too.

220px-The_Night_Comes_for_Us.png

Night Comes for Us - pretty good action flick too, not as good as the raid obviously but I liked it too. More goreish. And Julie Estelle is such a badass in this.
When it comes to action movies indonesia shits on hollywood, imo.

Cube_The_Movie_Poster_Art.jpg

Cube - Watched this yesterday while I was drinking with mate. Pretty good "trap" movie actually. Black guy in a group kinda annoyed me (and his acting was bad imo) + ending was kinda disappointing for me because it was such a typical trope to these kind of movies.
Ugh...my wife asked me to watch Cube with her years ago. It's not a bad movie, but not for me at all. That's the kind of stuff she digs. Was so fucking hopeless to me. Yuck!

sol_bad

Chaos Walking - cinema
Pretty enjoyable film and I can't understand why it has terrible reviews. Chris Stuckman's review didn't even make sense as he didn't seem to understand the villains motivations or plan, clearly he was watching the film with his phone in his hand which quite honestly is not acceptable for a professional movie reviewer if you ask me. Granted, it's not the greatest film ever released either, just a fun little adventure that is very quick paced. Not a huge amount of characterisation but not every film needs heaps of characterisation.

Raya and the Last Dragon - cinema
Effing great film and makes me realise even more so that I'll happily watch a movie at the theatres rather than home any day of the month. Home just can't compare at all. Animation was top notch, story was great and the characters were all great. I wasn't expecting the movie to end the way it did but maybe I am ba a predicting things.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
thumbnail

Watched these with a friend who hadn't seen them before. Takes the Groundhog Day premise and turns it into a horror\comedy movie. Pretty fun and well done for what it was. Should be immediately followed up by both Groundhog Day and \ or Boss Level.
I was just about to post this. I watched the sequel seeing as Netflix added it.

It was good, but not quite as good as the first film. I felt it lost a bit of spark/magic I guess.

Mr Hyde

Color out of Space

Very good Lovecraftian horror film. One of the best I've seen in a while. It trumps the late Stuart Gordon's adaptations and even rivals the master himself, John Carpenter.

Slick directing by Richard Stanley, his first feature film since Island of Dr Moreau in fucking 1996. Good scary build up, strong emphasis on cosmic horror and some truly disturbing scenes makes for an unforgettable watch. Interesting use of the color purple.

Nice to see Nic Cage turning in a great performance. He hasn't lost his edge yet. Good cast all around. Has some cheap CG but overall very cool effects, especially the makeup in some parts are outstanding.

Definitely recommending this if you're in to H.P Lovecraft. Or horror films in general.

SpartanN92

Banned
I just rewatched Aliens, Prometheus, and I just started Alien Covenant.

I feel like the only person on earth that likes Prometheus. It has some stupid stuff (like basic common sense level stuff) but the vibe is great, David is such a good villain, and the Engineer/Human connection was interesting to me. It’s a visual masterpiece with a lot of great characters... that just sometimes do VERY stupid things.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

I feel like the only person on earth that likes Prometheus. It has some stupid stuff (like basic common sense level stuff) but the vibe is great, David is such a good villain, and the Engineer/Human connection was interesting to me. It’s a visual masterpiece with a lot of great characters... that just sometimes do VERY stupid things.

I enjoyed Prometheus too! Was excited for the sequel but then we got Covenant which honestly I don’t think was terrible. Not great but a decent movie. I enjoyed it anyway but just wasn’t what I expected.

the only Alien movie I like is the original. Aliens is OK but it’s more of an over the top action movie. Alien I love cause it’s a cosmic horror with just a few characters stuck on a ship while shit goes down. The rest of the main Alien movies were awful. I forced myself through them and they only got worse.

GeekyDad

I watched Tenet. I have no idea what the movie was about.
Hmm...haven't watched it yet, but I'm definitely a Nolan fan and look forward to watching it when I can. Inception is definitely one of my favorite films of the last decade or so.

Same here. I had only seen the original Alien before watching it though. Maybe that helped.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I am a pretty critical guy so I didnt hate Prometheus but the issues really stuck out to me. It felt very disjointed at spots and some of the big "reveals" came off like a huge dud. Granted I have only seen it once so its possible I am remembering wrong.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was just about to post this. I watched the sequel seeing as Netflix added it.

It was good, but not quite as good as the first film. I felt it lost a bit of spark/magic I guess.

I super enjoyed the first movie. Way more fun than I expected. Second one was ok but it very much felt like a Scream 2 kinda sequel. It wasnt quite sure how to evolve so it loses some of its original fun factor but still enjoyable.

NahaNago

Just got through watching this movie. I feel deceived. Nicolas Cage I think doesn't show up in the movie until nearly halfway through the movie. It was just a low budget action movie. It tried to do a few things with the visuals from go pro chest shots, to comic book pages for some transitions to other places. and predator like view from the alien. The movie uses the predator story but makes it seem like it is something that has been happening for 2,000 year and every 6 years. The movie's story had so many holes. The best thing about the movie is Tony Jaa and second best would be Nicolas Cage's craziness. This movie has some alright action but that is about it. I'd give this movie a rating of C-. If you like Tony Jaa and Nicolas Cage you'll at least get a little bit out of both these guys in the movie.

th

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I super enjoyed the first movie. Way more fun than I expected. Second one was ok but it very much felt like a Scream 2 kinda sequel. It wasnt quite sure how to evolve so it loses some of its original fun factor but still enjoyable.
I agree. Much like Scream 2, it was a solid movie but had a high bar to reach. Both movies are for sure worth seeing, but the first movie stuck with me longer. I just hope they don't do another, we all know how Scream 3 ended up.

Gossip We Dont Talk About That GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Nothing to lose (1997)

After the clusterfuck that was Coming 2 America I needed a good comedy again and stumbled over this when browsing the Disney+ catalogue. It's been years since I've seen it. Shouldn't be this way. I was instantly reminded why I used to love this movie. To me one of the greatest comdies. Lawrence in his prime. His mother slapping him must be one of the funniest scenes ever.

Impossible to rate this movie neutraly. I'm giving it a 10/10. Haters gonna hate.

bitbydeath

Terminator: Dark Fate
Fuck!

I thought this was supposed to only retcon 3> but they made a joke of the entire series. The very first movie is based around John sending a soldier of the rebellion back in time to protect his mother. He obviously can’t do that if he dies before the rebellion is even established.

And if we try to go the route of different timelines occurring via time travel then that still screws up all the movies as there would be no point sending anyone back if it creates a new timeline and changes nothing.

They should have just left the franchise alone.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Frailty (2001)

A couple of weeks back I remembered this movie and wanted to rewatch it, only to learn it‘s almost impossible to get anywhere. There is no BluRay of it and also no streaming service on the market has it. The only way to get it legally would have been for me to buy a friggin used DVD. What year is this? Literally had no choice but to ask a buddy of mine to download it for me. Damn...

The movie itself is really something. There are not many movies that stay with me because of the action or the drama but because of their message. Frailty is one of those few. If you haven‘t seen it, check it out. What a great movie!

8/10

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Frailty (2001)

A couple of weeks back I remembered this movie and wanted to rewatch it, only to learn it‘s almost impossible to get anywhere. There is no BluRay of it and also no streaming service on the market has it. The only way to get it legally would have been for me to buy a friggin used DVD. What year is this? Literally had no choice but to ask a buddy of mine to download it for me. Damn...

The movie itself is really something. There are not many movies that stay with me because of the action or the drama but because of their message. Frailty is one of those few. If you haven‘t seen it, check it out. What a great movie!

8/10
That is a great movie. Shame Bill Paxton is no longer with us, such a fine actor. I need to re-watch some of his movies, including this one.

bitbydeath

MA

About a lady who invites underage school kids to drink at her house but then goes a bit crazy/stalker/murderish when they start to reject her offers.
giphy.gif

Wasn’t too bad, had some surprisingly biggish names given the content. Was a bit on the slow side though.

DustQueen

Banned
Watched Dance Of Reality.

Jodorowsky was bout 85 when he made it and it is semi-biographycal so I thought he ll go soft, melancholic n laid back....BUT Noooo....

It was Jodorowsky turned to fucking 11!
What a film!
Wbc8Wfz.jpg

Last edited:

GeekyDad

So...Bringing Out the Dead

MV5BMDMyMjEyYzEtODVlZC00OWY0LTkxZjItNjJmOWRjNzQxMGNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Holy shit. I...think, maybe, it was a comedy. I don't know. I was fucking cracking up laughing during certain scenes. It was also horrifying, inspired, boring, exciting. It was a very Scorcese film in a very different way. Feel-bad movie the year (1999), I'm sure. Pretty old now, but damn, it holds up. Will never watch again. Probably one of Scorcese's best works, totally insane and unnecessary perhaps.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The Woman In Black (2012)

91Pfiq4Wb4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I enjoyed this for the most part. Quite slow-burn, but I personally liked the pacing and atmosphere that this film builds. Daniel Radcliffe puts in a solid performance as the leading man, he does his part really well. Decent amount of scares. The movie does have quite a lot of jump scares but they didn't really make me jolt as the movie builds them up so much. I would say this movie makes up for cheap scares by building plenty of tension. I wouldn't say I was annoyed by them either, surprisingly.

Majority of the scare factor of the film is quite subtle and I really loved that. I much prefer when movies build suspense, atmosphere and tension rather than resorting to cheap tricks all the time. Shame this movie didn't strip some of the jump scares out in favour of more of that. This movie actually scared me quite a bit, much more than most movies. There was a scene with a rocking chair that almost got me to cover my eyes. I haven't done that in years.

The scenery was one of the highlights. Very well done and atmospheric. Top notch camerawork.

I would rate it ★★★☆. Good, but not great. You will have seen better movies that tackle a similar concept. Spooky house with spooky happenings. With that being said, it does everyhing fine. Worth a watch for a rainy day. If you can appreciate a slow and more atmospheric horror to start, you will probably like it. Worth sticking with as it doesn't take long to pick up the pace.

sol_bad

Minari - cinema
Nice little slice of life film from A24. It was enjoyable and the kid (Alan Kim) was a great little actor. It didn't quite hit all the emotional beats for me but I still highly recommend checking it out.
The story is about a Korean family moving from California to Arkansas to start a farm and adjusting to the new life style. The wife's mother also moves in which causes some very interesting scenes.
:)

Last edited:

Watch the Agent 9 fan edit. Removes the stupidity and puts back some important stuff. I've no fucking idea what Ridley was doing when he was editing this movie.

KielCasto

The other day, I watched 28 Days Later for the first time. It was incredible! I was totally taken in by the atmosphere and tense situations. But, I didn't expect the movie to make humans the main threat near it's end. I wanted more scenes like that church one.

Yes Day is average throughout. Maybe fun for kids, but it isn’t engaging enough for adults. The scene of capture the flag was the highlight of the movie. The side characters - annoyingly quirky for the sake of quirkiness.

Pet Sematary 2019 felt like it ended too abruptly for me. Jump scares brought down an already bad movie. Admittedly, I don’t remember the old version and I did not read the novel, so I don’t know how worse this actually is.

RAÏSanÏa

Slaxx
FIrEvqc.jpg

7/10
recommended 👍
runtime 1h17m

Low budget with surprisingly good satire. I might post in the dumb movie but smart with some thoughts after an attentive rewatch.

mango drank

BnPyva4.jpg

Training Day: 7/10
Went into this completely blind, didn't even read HBO's one-sentence summary (which I realized later would've spoiled it). I assumed this was going to be just another solid but standard cop movie, and that expectation of course got suplexed as the movie went along. Some really tense and memorable scenes. Two in particular stand out--if you've seen it, you already know what I'm talking about. The last 30 minutes or so are, unfortunately, a mix of cheese and Hollywood schlock, but some really good stuff before that.

Shhwu7Z.jpg

The Tale of Princess Kaguya: 7/10
Not bad, not bad. More coherent than Ghibli's usual stuff (since Miyazaki didn't helm it, and since it was based on an established ancient fable). Cool visual style, nice soundtrack.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
I watched the "Has Fallen" Trilogy this week. I had never seen them before.

I loved every stupid second of these movies. Just dumb America "Fuck Yeah" and it was nice for a change watching a movie where there wasn't some "Are we the baddies?" undertone. Just an American badass saving the free world.

I watched ‘I Care a Lot’ on the weekend. Never disliked a main character more in my life.

She is basically a scam artist who gets old people locked up in homes and steals their money.

God knows how it was classified as a comedy. Is there a name for a genre of movie that just makes you angry?

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Kinda came in late, maybe missed the first half-hour, and I intended to check out the first bit later today on-demand.

MV5BMTM2MTI5NzA3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODExNTc0OA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I'm not a big Bradley Cooper fan. He seems like a good actor, but eh, I don't know. There's a quality about his acting, even here, I just am not attracted to. But when I was scrolling the channels I saw DeNiro in the description, so I stopped and started watching. Though it puts on a facade of a semi-ghetto, broken-Italian-family thing, it's also kinda by-the-numbers in most respects. That being said, it also hits almost all its intended emotional spots right on target, which is what kept me watching. Was a perfect character fit for all of the actors, even Chris Tucker, which I was delighted to see. And Cooper is really the character. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Shrap

BM_Maskini_V_578_v6_date_sm_rgb-scaled.jpg

Finally got around to watching this. I was putting it off as comedy sequels usually fall flat, especially when they come out well over a decade after the original. To my surprise Borat 2 actually nailed it and recaptured all the cringe and insanity of the original. After reading up on just how much was real I'm amazed at how Cohen hasn't landed himself in big trouble. Having his daughter as his companion was a smart move to further develop the story and prevent it feeling like a rehash of the original. If you dug the first movie and can still stomach all the cringe then I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Rewatched Die Hard 3.
519XP72DAHL.jpg

It had been quite a long time as I usually just go back the original. Still a solid 8/10 to me.
Just a really fun movie, love the dynamic between Willis and Jackson and Jeremy Irons is great as the villain. About the only big criticism I have is that the final showdown felt a bit underwhelming. I think they should have just finished it with a big showdown on the boat.

Also as a side note I'm surprised this movie hasn't been cancelled. Lots of racial tension between the McClane and Zeus, and it's mostly Zeus initiating. At one point McClane even calls him out for coming across as racist towards whites. There's also a scene of kids getting into a dangerous situation for not trusting a white cop.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Watched Goodfellas a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how I feel about that movie. It was probably the fourth or fifth time watching it. It has a lot of rough edges that something like The Godfather doesn't.

I think The Godfather is pretty much a perfect movie. I watched the first part of it on Bluray last night and it's just amazingly good.

Also, Casino. I watched it about a month ago. First time seeing that one. I enjoyed it a lot, but it had even more rough edges than Goodfellas. I had no idea the movie would be that goofy. It's amazing how lazy some of the shooting scenes look, with someone apparently getting shot point blank in the back with no bullet holes, blood, and barely any gunshot sounds. And the shooter was holding the gun limp wristed with their wrist turned inward like he was playing with a yoyo.

NahaNago

Watched Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull again.
poster-780.jpg

I enjoyed it. Any sequel made would have been awful. The worst thing in this one would have to be Shia swinging on vines. Personally think the series should cast a new actor as Indian Jones. Chris Pratt seems like the most likely person they just need to make him more serious since he seems to play goofballs most of the time. Honestly now that I think about it Jonny Depp pirate of the caribbean reminds me of indiana jones, lucky, skilled, and snarky. A bit more reluctant to do things than Indiana though.

NahaNago

Just got through watching Project Ithaca. I found it enjoyable for a movie a that is mostly just 6 people in a room talking to each other. Pretty much folks got abducted by aliens and they are bound standing up. Half of the movie is them talking to each other in that set so it really relied on you liking the acting/dialogue between the characters. I really want to see a sequel to the movie. I'd give the movie honestly a rating of C-. The cg was terrible and nothing really happens in the movie but I enjoyed it. Granted I did cheat while watching since I watched it in my youtube mode of 1.5 speed. The poster is deceptive.
project_ithaca_2_huge.jpeg

GeekyDad

I (tried to) watch...

No_Safe_Spaces_poster.jpg

I think its heart was in the right place, but I don't think the "prestigious" folks speaking (and behind the scenes) knew too much about the problem(s) we all sense around us. It was a reckless documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom