• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billbofet

We have a Ghost
It was too long but the scenes with David Harbor are great. Overall fun, just takes to long to get some places.
This ^^
Watched this with my kids this weekend and we all really enjoyed it. I would say it's probably 20-25 minutes too long.
Good stuff overall.

Billbofet

Cop Shop
Enjoyed it quite a bit. Rolled my eyes a few times at the end, but very, very entertaining. Gerard Butler rules as always.

GeekyDad

I got about 25 minutes into Argo, and then almost threw up in my mouth. Fuck that piece of shit duckboy, Affleck. I've given him too many chances already. The fucker can probably act, but he'd rather stroke his own ego publicly. How the **** do you turn that story into a fucking hero's tale. Hope his wife face ****s him!

NahaNago

I watched Knock at the Cabin a couple of days ago and it just was not as intense as I thought it should be. I thought most of the actors did a pretty good job but I feel like the camera/filming wasn't shot well enough to show the emotions the people were going through. I was suppose to go see that Cocaine Bear today but failed that. Mostly been watching a lot of Indian or Bollywood films. I'll talk about those later.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Cobra (1980-something)

I can't decide if this is a terrible movie or avant-garde beyond its time. It's a parody of 80's movies while being an 80's movie that it parodies.

My favorite part is how this super hard boiled 1950's fashioned cop lives in Spanish Harlem and has a vaulted ceiling apartment in all white and pastel fashion like something out of Scarface.

GeekyDad

I gave it 17 minutes and 27 seconds, and couldn't do any more.

The Green Hornet fucking sucks.

oWsV3uz.jpg

Guess I didn't do enough research.

GeekyDad

Hell or High Water

ps6um3H.jpg

Pretty forgettable old western done in present day. But always worth a watch because Jeff Bridges can't not be great. It's his fatal flaw.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
heat

operation fortune: ruse de guerre

I don't understand why they made jason statham invincible and his enemies so weak he never broke a sweat in the fight sequences

Last edited:

GeekyDad

heat

I don't understand why they made jason statham invincible and his enemies so weak he never broke a sweat in the fight sequences

What dosage does your doctor have you on? I have to watch it, usually, about every six months.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
What dosage does your doctor have you on? I have to watch it, usually, about every six months.

saw it on my hulu recommendations and popped it on haven't watched it in a long time which is kinda surprising since I really enjoy seeing de Niro and Pacino work together I've had the irishman and godfather II on replay multiple times I wish they did more movies together. for me the shootout scenes in this is really good can't think of a better movie than this :messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Valonquar

Because Jason Statham is like that in every move he's in.

Was real disappointed in Operation Fortune. I guess Guy Richie is just done making great movies, and is just phoning in okayish movies. Snatch, RockNRolla, and Revolver were great, Wrath of Man was downright terrible, The Gentlemen was passable.

AJUMP23

Living - it was a good movie. About a man with a terminal illness and how he tried to leave a legacy. British period piece.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
eccb39c5816cc651f66f7ccac9e7ee27.png

Women who can't read and write are somehow able to engage in dialectics on the level of Plato's Republic. otherwise a solid cast that make for a decent drama

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Brightburn (2019)

Stories based on the premise of an evil Superman-like character have been done several times before in comics, and in better and more inventive ways. This simply lacks imagination. The scope and stakes are small. It is loaded with lazy overused tropes. There are a few situations in which the characters behave in absurd, unbelievable ways.

It's fine visually though. Also unafraid of gore, showing what it would probably look like if a being with those kinds of powers attacked fragile, regular-human meat bags.

Overall: meh

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Seen The Whale in cinema yesterday.

That was pretty intense. Would be surprised if Fraser doesn't get an Oscar for it. Hated the kid. So annoying.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ant-Man (2015)

Rewatch. One of my favorite Marvel movies. Part heist film, lots of fun, one of the best long ending action sequences of the Marvel films. His crew is hilarious. I love when Luis is telling stories, it's like an episode of Drunk History.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Mandy (2018)

I just finished this one.

Magnificent cinematography. Really acute use of both vivid and muted color and changing perspectives. Its first and third acts are told largely visually à la Beyond the Black Rainbow and The Void. There's bits of allegory sprinkled throughout:

Such as a scene near the end of the first act in which Cage's character is stabbed in his side by a "sacred" knife , much like Christ was by Longinus, shortly before Cage's character is metaphorically reborn.

The second act is told in a more traditional, narrative manner - and they arrive here in an interesting way: it is made obvious, at least to me, that Cage's character is a recovering alcoholic. As the second act begins he retrieves a stashed bottle of vodka and begins chugging it. Despite being mostly aloof and reserved during the first act, the breaking of his sobriety appears to release his true self. He begins raging, wailing, but then centers and becomes more and more focused as the second act proceeds. This is in contrast to how alcoholics typically are, in which a "moment of clarity" during brief stints of soberness bring them to such a calm and aware state. And the direction and tone of the film changes right alongside Cage's new mental state for the remainder of the second act.

The third act, thanks to actions taken by Cage's character, returns the direction and visual narration back to that of the first - but in an even more surreal and exotic way, going so far as to leave the interpretation of some events up to the viewer.

The best part of the movie is Cage's thunderous and emotional performance. If, like me, you love the completely unhinged and wild Nic Cage he goes all in here at times. Ululations with berserk expressions, random lines of dialog belted out that made me burst out laughing - he really did the thing.

Anyway, it's not a masterpiece or anything, but it should more than entertain fans and I totally see why it was a critical darling in 2018. I just wish I had seen it sooner.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
those gun sounds :messenger_savoring: i'd love to see this movie in cinema or somewhere with a good sound set up.

That movie has so many great small moments. Like when Val's character is walking away from the final bank robbery towards the get away car smiling, but spots the cops across the street, and in .05 seconds reverts into war mode and goes absolutely HAM.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
PTYLMm6.jpg

Striking Distance (1993)

From the director of Road House. First time hearing of this one, and took a chance despite the poor IMDb rating, in honor of Bruce Willis and Tom Sizemore. It’s actually not bad at all. Sarah Jessica Parker has good chemistry with Willis and there are some intense, well-choreographed chase sequences. May have been tired and derivative at the time of release but it’s good old-fashioned fun now.

Fbh

share.png

Triangle of Sadness 7/10

I have to admit when my sister told me to come over to watch one of the Oscar nominated movies called "Triangle of Sadness" I expecting some boring artsy Oscar Bait movie.
So I'm really glad it turned out to be this very entertaining and funny movie.

Andyliini

Creed III
Watched this in theater two weeks ago. The films was good, but did not reach the highs of the second film. Around the the same level as the first film, but this one doesn't have Stallone in it. That could be plus or a minus depending of if you like him or not. The film is pretty predictable, and follows the usual story beats of previous Rocky-films. Actors are good, but Jordan's direction can get a bit too dramatic at some points. The films also takes it's time to get going, the second half on the other hand chugged along nicely.

Hugare

The Whale

Amazing movie. Wasnt very hyped for it because I didnt enjoy Mother, tho I loved Requiem and Black Swan from Aronofsky. Wasnt disapointed.

Fraser acting was superb. Felt like the dialogue was a bit too melodramatic, but everyone were perfect in their roles.

What really got to me was the ending. Freaking fantastic. Have been listening to the soundtrack for days. Cried my hearts out. One of the best endings that I've ever seen, imo.

Highly recomended.

Ce'Nedra

Neo Member
Creed III
Watched this in theater two weeks ago. The films was good, but did not reach the highs of the second film. Around the the same level as the first film, but this one doesn't have Stallone in it. That could be plus or a minus depending of if you like him or not. The film is pretty predictable, and follows the usual story beats of previous Rocky-films. Actors are good, but Jordan's direction can get a bit too dramatic at some points. The films also takes it's time to get going, the second half on the other hand chugged along nicely.
Honestly, is hard to surpass Ivan Drago’s son. Is like movies after the second are side-quests/combats.

An Cailín Ciúin (The Quiet Girl)

Seen it at the oscars. Don't understand Irish gaelic so had to watch it with subtitles. It wasn't bad but didn't see what was so good about it. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Going to watch The Whale tomorrow and The Banshees of Inisherin tomorrow.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm in the middle of Morbius again.

I am glad production people got paid for this at least, but why is a society in the 2020's or whenever this travesty was made investing millions of dollars into what accounts to a meme?

AJUMP23

Dragged on concrete - Mel Gibson leads and the movie starts very slow and never really picks up, but the slow burn is really good. There are some characters that you never know who they are. Film is violent and some weird backstory given for characters that just show up for a minute. But overall it was interesting. My interest built as the movie went on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dragged on concrete - Mel Gibson leads and the movie starts very slow and never really picks up, but the slow burn is really good. There are some characters that you never know who they are. Film is violent and some weird backstory given for characters that just show up for a minute. But overall it was interesting. My interest built as the movie went on.
Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 next.

S Craig Zahler movies remind me of Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad. Pulpy slow burns with interesting characters that you really get to know. Takes time to indulge mundanity, which serves to make the heightened-reality stuff strangely relatable. When shit hits the fan for the characters, you empathize with them. They're like the best kinds of horror movies in that way. The extended bank robbery scene in Dragged On Concrete, for example.

I'll watch anything that guy makes

Andyliini

Shazam: Fury of the Gods

I liked the first Shazam when it released back in 2019, but was a little bit surprised that it was not a hit, especially after smash-hit Aquaman. This sequel was greenlit quickly, but it took some time to actually release the film. Now it released with no fanfare, and the audience has no interest for it. It's a shame, as it is a fun film, although very basic superhero film. It has a lot of CGI. of course, but it never bothered me, as most of it was well done, and looked good. Especially when the film had "only" 100 million for it's production budget. The story itself is not as good as it's predecessor, and takes some time to get going. Once it get's going though, the roller coaster does not end until the very end of the film.

I know I laughed way too much on some jokes, especially the auto-written letter joke. I'll grab a blu-ray once this releases, had fun, but the movie is clearly old-school, like somethin Marvel has been doing ofr about 10 years.

GeekyDad

Watched The Untouchables again because...

8xbYrlZ.jpg

Probably still my favorite De Palma movie, and probably his best movie in my opinion. It's probably one of the best comic-book movies that isn't based on a comic, but rather on a true story. But it plays out almost exactly like a great comic-book series. The scenes are even compacted into these wonderful little vignettes.

As much as I love Heat, I think this is the better movie for its respective genre. A perfect masterpiece.

Watched The Untouchables again because...

8xbYrlZ.jpg

Probably still my favorite De Palma movie, and probably his best movie in my opinion. It's probably one of the best comic-book movies that isn't based on a comic, but rather on a true story. But it plays out almost exactly like a great comic-book series. The scenes are even compacted into these wonderful little vignettes.

As much as I love Heat, I think this is the better movie for its respective genre. A perfect masterpiece.

I watched it recently

Best Iconic Part is

The Train Station scene with the Baby Carriage going down the stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom