• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Looks like a banger year!

January
6th - M3GAN
26th - Teen Wolf: The Movie

February
3rd - Knock at the Cabin Door
17th - Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
17th - Cocaine Bear

March
3rd - Creed III
10th - Scream VI
17th - Shazam! Fury of the Gods
24th - John Wick: Chapter 4
31st - Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Theives

April
7th - The Super Mario Bros. Movie
21st - Evil Dead Rise

May
5th - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
19th - Fast X
26th - The Little Mermaid

June
2nd - Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
9th - Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
16th - The Flash
30th - Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

July
7th - Insidious: Fear the Dark
14th - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning P1
21st - Oppenheimer
21st - Barbie
28th - The Marvels

August
4th - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
4th - Meg 2: The Trench
11th - Gran Turismo

September
1st - The Equalizer 3
22nd - The Expendables 4

October
6th - Kraven the Hunter
13th - The Exorcist
27th - Saw X

November
3rd - Dune: Part 2
17th - Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

December
15th - Wonka
20th - Ghostbusters Afterlife 2
25th - Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

What have you watched lately?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

First movie of 2023, Jurassic Park Dominion, and just like its predecessor… it wasn’t that great. Not sure why exactly, but I gather it’s mostly to do with a rather boring and all over the place story.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Watched Meet Me In St Louis this morning. Really liked it.

meet-me-in-st.-louis.jpg

Amiga

To Gun Maverick. It restored my enthusiasm for traditional blockbusters. Just as post-Endgame is killing my enthusiasm for genre films.

This why I most look forward to Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning P1, Oppenheimer, The Equalizer 3 and The Expendables 4

Another Expendables movie?! Jesus.

Anyway... not much of my interest in that list unfortunately... just the new Indy, John Wick and Dune 2.

To Gun Maverick. It restored my enthusiasm for traditional blockbusters. Just as post-Endgame is killing my enthusiasm for genre films.

This why I most look forward to Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning P1, Oppenheimer, The Equalizer 3 and The Expendables 4
Yeah man Maverick was fucking incredible. Old school fun, no bullshit. Best sequel I've seen in a long, long time. I regret so much not going to see it in theaters. Fuck.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
First movie of 2023, Jurassic Park Dominion, and just like its predecessor… it wasn’t that great. Not sure why exactly, but I gather it’s mostly to do with a rather boring and all over the place story.
Just like the predecessors? Dominion makes Jurassic World look like the best film ever made. It was pure trash.

I watched Young Sherlock Holmes last night. I had only seen it once when I was like 6 or 7 (I was born in the same year the movie came out, '85), so I didn't remember almost anything. Man what an awesome movie. I loved it. Wish Spielberg had done a sequel :(

Winter John

We watched something called Emily the criminal. It was alright. The characters were good, story was interesting. My only mild criticism is that they didn't take any real risks with her character. I could tell they deliberately chose a soft crime to keep the audience on her side. It had a few things to say but it's a very safe film. It's no Midnight Cowboy or Taxi Driver that's for sure.

INC

Glass onion

I had some hope I might get a decent 'who done it' film, should of known it was gonna be just as disappointing as knives out.

5/10, just about entertaining but ultimately Unclever and meh overall

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Knives out Glass Onion - Loved it. hilarious though the cast wasnt as good as the first one. Still, it made realize how much I love watching these mystery whodunits and made me go and watch two movies i had been putting off for years.

Death On The Nile - Watched this first because it was free on HBO. Really fun movie. Great mystery and it kinda exposes Rian as a hack because Glass Onion felt like a copy pasta of this movie.

Murder On the Orient Express - What a phenomenal finale. I didnt think this was an interesting as Death on the Nile which was entertaining from start to finish, but the climax is the best. I have no idea how I avoided these stories. Im sure i read Agatha Christie novels growing up, but i honestly dont remember this twist. Great fucking movie.

Rian Johnson might be a lot of things, but hes still a very talented filmmaker. He inspired me to go watch these movies and that in itself is an accomplishment. Sucks that Death on the Nile flopped but it seems they are already making the next so i doubt they shelve it. Hopefully they market it better than they did Nile.

Absolutely hilarious that netflix gave up hunderds of millions of dollars Glass Onion wouldve got at the box office. On Thanksgiving alone, it couldve gotten $40-50 million from U.S alone. They are so stupid. Rian, the Avengers brothers, and other directors taking hundreds of millions from these streaming giants dont realize that they risk being typecast as made for tv directors. they wont have the prestige of nolan, spielberg and James Cameron. Especially right now when they are in their prime.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I just watched glass onion. I really liked it. Seems like a rather silly film. I did guess the villain.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

But yeah I liked it, it’s t was silly then got sillier but it was entertaining non the less.

Also really enjoyed see how they run.

Also watch American underdog on the plane didn’t expect it to go the way it did. They leaned heavily on the faith aspect and the character or the main protagonist which worked in this context and I was routing for him. So it was a nice popcorn film to inspire I guess. (Don’t know anything about hand egg I’m not a yank) nor about the person that the film is based on. But it was nice to watch. All a quarter back seems to do is shout random phrases and throw a ball.
The game seems like a turn based JRPG

Bye Bye Peace GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They are making another Evil Dead? Is it a sequel of the recent "reboot"? 🤔
I don’t think it’s been said if/how it links to any of them, a trailer is coming out tomorrow.

k5dFrdK.jpeg

I watched The Batman, I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised it surpassed them. Penguin and Catwoman were no Danny Devito and Michelle Phiefer though.

images

In Love and Thunder, Waititi should have said:

"He went from Dad bod, to Chad bod"

Instead of "He went from Dad bod, to God bod"

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
I was actually pretty entertained by this one, went in with zero expectations and had fun.

The Fabelmans
Two hours of Spielberg sucking his own dick. Pretty dire.

Le chêne
Very cool and relaxing nature documentary about animals living in an oak tree somewere in France. Recommended!

White Noise
I used to be a huge Noah Baumbach fan, but this is like a bad parody of what people think his movies are. Almost unwatcheable.

Decision to Leave
Lots to like in this latest from Park Chan-Wook, but I found the story to be a bit too unbelievable.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Watched The Menu. Absolutely horrendous. Stay away. I was in mood for a good mystery movie after watching knives out, death on the nile and murder on orient express, and the great reviews convinced me to give this a shot. It's so silly and dumb i couldnt believe it. its obviously supposed to be a satire but it needs to at least make sense.

Just a trash movie. One of those movies that completely turn me off from giving movies a shot. id rather go and play some dumb mindless video game than watch trash like this.

Also watched Incredibles 2. It was ok but Pixar used to be more than just ok. They used to be outstanding. Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-e all came out in a 6 year span. WTF happened to Pixar? All these underwhelming sequels. The finale is a small setpiece on a boat. Over in a flash. The first movie had a huge setpiece in the island which then continued when they got to the city. This feels like one of those Disney straight to VHS cartoons. Toy Story 4, Finding Nemo 2, and now this. Disney has turned Pixar into a mediocre studio.

Just like they did Lucas Film and Marvel. Just milk star wars and every Marvel IP and Pixar until audiences are sick of it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Dead Girl in Apartment 3
Perfectly serviceable, low budget demonic horror movie if you're a horror fan. Don't expect much, won't be disappointed.

The Unkind
A UK horror film. The cut I watched was weird in that it was obvious they used American actors to redo the voices of all the characters. And it's stilted, constipated voiceover work at that. I suppose they didn't think it would appeal to US audiences if they retained the original accents? Are they not aware of how crazy this country is for UK media such as Downton Abbey and the Cornetto Trilogy?

Anyways, it's another OK low budget horror movie. Set in the Italian countryside, supernatural. Mid in every way. However, it involves one of the types of evil beings one fights in The Witcher, so that was kind of cool.

Mr Hyde

Oblivion

Pretty cool science fiction with Tom Cruise in the lead. Very high concept, striking visuals, slick action scenes and a touching love story. Somehow I missed this one, but it came out in the same year as Elysium, another high concept sci fi that I absolutely love, so it might be that Oblivion was just overshadowed. You don't really see these kinds of movies anymore, which is a shame because they are both very entertaining and beautiful to look at.

The Dead Girl in Apartment 3
Perfectly serviceable, low budget demonic horror movie if you're a horror fan. Don't expect much, won't be disappointed.

The Unkind
A UK horror film. The cut I watched was weird in that it was obvious they used American actors to redo the voices of all the characters. And it's stilted, constipated voiceover work at that. I suppose they didn't think it would appeal to US audiences if they retained the original accents? Are they not aware of how crazy this country is for UK media such as Downton Abbey and the Cornetto Trilogy?

Anyways, it's another OK low budget horror movie. Set in the Italian countryside, supernatural. Mid in every way. However, it involves one of the types of evil beings one fights in The Witcher, so that was kind of cool.
I laugh-reacted to your comment because I'd never heard of American dubovers for UK films. Granted, it makes sense since I have to use subtitles on UK stuff, but feel free to put me in the "subs-not-dubs" camp on this one lol

Just finished watching The Social Network. Played Chuzzle on my phone through most of it. Best part was when the ending music started.

The-Beatles-Paul-McCartney-John-Lennon-Ringo.jpg
So...it didn't hold your interest? 😆

That movie is great imo. Sorkin definitely has a "formula" for dialogue that isn't for everyone, but it keeps me engaged!

Andyliini

My first movie of 2023 was Black Rain, a buddy-cop thriller from 1989. I was quite mixed about it, the beginning and the middle did not really hold my interest, but the final act worked better. The cast was mostly unknown for me, and none of them really stood out either. Ridley Scotts 80's visuals with light coming through fans were certainly familiar, though.

It was a good for one watch, but I doubt I'll watch it again anytime soon. Strangely, this movie was rekeased in market on Blu-ray, but it does not feature local subtitles at all. Very strange.

Dural

My wife showed me a TikTok that had a scene from Me, Myself, and Irene and she wanted to know what movie it was from. I had to show her the movie since she'd never seen it, still hilarious. The scene where Charlie first turns into Hank is one of the funniest scenes ever, I almost passed out from laughing.

ikbalCO

I watched Fablemans very recently.

It was cliché, boring an bland.

Turns out, just because you are a good movie maker it doesnt mean your life is a movie.

Dialogs in particular was tropey. Yuck.

Great performance from michelle willams though. She must be the unluckiest actors ever. Whenever she is in the running for an oscar, there is always someone better. Sad she will listen to cate balchett acceptance speech come this march.

Andyliini

I watched Robin Hood (2010) yesterday. It looked like tried to do another Gladiator with Scott-Crowe combo, but it didn't work as well. It speaks volumes that this blu-ray release I have is from 2010, and barely has any special features on it. I don't think that streaming was as huge back then either, and extra features were still used to sell a movie for home.

Scott and Crowe also seemingly had some sort of a breach between them, as they did not work together after this again. It was also a bit too long, I got distracted by my phone towards the end.

I also watched Disney's Strange World with my girlfriend, but that was not good, or even remotely interesting. One of Disney's worst.

My wife showed me a TikTok that had a scene from Me, Myself, and Irene and she wanted to know what movie it was from. I had to show her the movie since she'd never seen it, still hilarious. The scene where Charlie first turns into Hank is one of the funniest scenes ever, I almost passed out from laughing.

i love this movie

bLlSn4O.jpg

he's savage as fuck.

"vagiclean, huh? what's the matter honey? a little extra cheese on the taco?" :messenger_smirking:

"wrong answer and the name's Hank, fuckface!" 💀

Last edited:
M3GAN was ok, a 5/10 at best IMO. Felt like a YA version of the Child's Play remake, which I didn't think was that special either but at least that movie had some excellent horror comedy moments (and was rated R). M3GAN had... some funny dancing I guess? I'm not a gore hound but it felt like there was very little blood in the movie, or any on-screen deaths for that matter. I don't know, I was expecting more from the hype and people comparing it to Malignant (which is a much more fun movie).

GreenAlien

iu

Bloody Hell

So I went in blind and was expecting a cheap slasher that wouldn't make it past the 30minute mark, but what I got was a surprisingly great horror comedy thriller kind of thing. Anyway 8.5/10.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
emily the criminal
emily1-superJumbo.jpg

dumb as shit. 94% on rt ? good joke

Decision to leave

weak plot, but visually one of the most stunning movies I've ever seen

White Noise
white_noise_00_43_50_03_r_f_custom-3b03df4b3a165af8576abe8436fe072601228259-s1100-c50.jpg

Everyone told me this movie was terrible but its been a while since I laughed this hard during a movie. maybe something wrong with me. the actors killed it.

The Fabelmans
Screen%20Shot%202022-11-22%20at%2010.50.56%20AM.png

more mediocre spielberg.

A hero
a-hero-movie-review-2022.jpeg

good movie, but expected more from farhadi

The Menu
aac1978a3ac990565df00a66fc85b6312f-the-menu.jpg

I'm all for dark comedy/satire but this movie is just bad...could have worked as an anime I think

Happening

brutal. reminded me of blue is the warmest color

Aftersun
maxresdefault.jpg

best movie i've seen in a while

pale blue eye
Pale-Blue-Eye-The-WP.png

imagine being netflix and giving cooper 100 million to make this pile of dog shit

Honorable mentions:
watched 30 min of Elvis/Blonde and turned them off it was so bad

Last edited:

Jaybe

The Menu
aac1978a3ac990565df00a66fc85b6312f-the-menu.jpg

I'm all for dark comedy/satire but this movie is just bad...could have worked as an anime I think
Agreed on The Menu
Very boring. Seemed like another take down the rich movie which is getting rather worn by now.
Only two scenes I liked:
Chef making the foodie cook
The coast guard rescue fake out
But neither anywhere near enough to save this film

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Menu
Took me off guard. At first it feels too forward and uncomplicated but that's clearly by design. It's all in the meta. Can't delve further without spoiling things.

I'm going to need a second watch down the road to rate it. But I'll say everything about the acting, directing, and cinematography is very strong.

Valonquar

the-banshees-of-inisherin-13.jpg

The Banshees of Inisherin
The trailer for this movie made me think it was going to be a bit more of a comedy. Instead it was just absolutely depressing. By the end I was re-evaluating some of the friendships I've had that have fallen apart or grown out of and thinking "Am I dim?"
Reminds me of this old David Mitchell rant but without the insanity of bodily mutilation.
In Brugess is the better film.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
caught m3gan last night didn't go into it expecting it to be scary thought it was pretty funny though don't think they wanted us to have sympathy for the characters she killed off since they were d!ckheads/annoying I'd watch a sequel

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

This is such a sweet and optimistic movie. I love the character of Mrs. Harris ... She's so sweet and kind and treats everyone equally, no matter if they're poor or rich.

Andyliini

The Counselor
II winder why this film was even made? Almost every scene is a dialogue, and especially in the beginning, the script is pretty much nonsense, and doesn't attribute to anything. It's just people talking about sex or whatever. Can't recommend.

Exodus - Gods and Kings
I had not seen this since 2014 at cinema, but I remember enjoying the film then. Now as I watched it again, I enjoyed it as well, the visuals are good and I have always been interested in ancient Egypt. I wanted to watch this in 3D, but I found out that neither Xbox Series X or PS5 support 3D Blu-Ray, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
MV5BMjI5NGJjMmEtODk4Yy00ZDRjLWE5ZGItMjJiNGM4NTI0NmZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1Njg5NTA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

First two thirds of the movie are painfully boring. Last third drew my interest. Story deserved better writing + director.

Reactions: Gp1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom