• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billbofet

John Wick 4:
Great action, but waaaaay too long. I really lost interest by the end even though there are several very memorable action set pieces.
The incendiary bullets scene was jaw-dropping.

Andyliini

Moonfall
Upon rewatch, this was a bit better than the initial watch at the cinema. I remembered most of the plot points, so it didn't bring anything new to the table. Still, wathing it at home probably made it a better experience for some reason. Of course, the plot of the moon being a machine and getting knocked off it's orbit is completely ridiculous, but the visuals save the film. Roland Emmerich knows how to direct disaster films, but I just have to wonder how were they able to get this much money for an india film like this? Well, they probably won't get to do it again, as the film bombed at box office. Local blu-ray release is also devoid of any special features, which is a shame.

Billbofet

Polite Society:
Very unique, quirky, and fun action-comedy about one sister trying to stop her sister's wedding. There is kung fu, dancing, everything. My family all loved it. High recommend.

Valonquar

John Wick 4:
Great action, but waaaaay too long. I really lost interest by the end even though there are several very memorable action set pieces.
The incendiary bullets scene was jaw-dropping.
Agreed. It had to have taken a LOT of work to make a movie that technically impressive while also kind of boring. I think part of it was an overreliance on subpar CGI to carry the action along. The car stuff around Paris was particularly dumb levels of CGI. Donnie Yen was good though.

Mr Hyde

The Gate

The 80s was legendary when it came to producing inventive, scary and quality horror flicks. A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Thing, Hellraiser, The Fly, Child's Play, Predator. The list goes on and on. And then you have The Gate. Made in 1987, it's a low budget horror with a very young Stephen Dorff as the main lead. He plays Glen, who discovers a gateway to Hell in his backyard. This leads to a series of events where demons are unleashed upon his house and together with his sister Al and best friend Terry they battle against the forces of darkness. It's cheesy and bad in all the wrong ways, with terrible effects and visual design of the demons. The story is ludicrous with uninteresting characters, which probably has to do with the subpar acting. This movie has zero redeeming qualities whatsoever and is best left forgotten.

sedg87

Banned
The Haunted Palace
Really good take on a H.P. Lovecraft story. Vince Price is excellent as usual. Really love the sets and atmosphere of 1960's horror.

GeekyDad

The lady in the van

It tunes its instrument in front of you, but you never notice the song has already begun until you realize it has been singing to you the whole time. They try to mask the horror in gentile music, but it is also very touching. Some really artistic use of camera and color toward and at the end of the film. Good sense of humor. Romantically silly, but in a harmless, perhaps pleasant way.

Wonderfully told tale.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Spinning Gold. It was ok. About a music executive.

FAST X I felt dummer after watching it.

that new Charlie day film. It had way to much Ken Jong. I liked the premise though.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
will ferrell anchorman GIF

Anchorman tonight.

It's been a while.

Watched it so many times back in the day.

Andyliini

Skiptrace

This Jackie Chan action-comedy from 2016 is very by the book. It does nothing new, but keeps the watcher entertained during it's 2 hour run. Some of the jokes land, some don't, but there are so many of them it doesn't matter if there are a few duds on the way. Director Renny Harlin knows how to do action, altough the script is quite thin on new ideas. Fun watch for one time, but there is no reason to rewatch it until you have forgotten it, as I had.

Mossybrew

I didn't care for John Wick Chapter 4. The series has become increasingly bloated and silly and this last one is the worst. By the final third of the movie we were actively laughing at it. I recall it getting pretty good reviews so I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

I didn't care for John Wick Chapter 4. The series has become increasingly bloated and silly and this last one is the worst. By the final third of the movie we were actively laughing at it. I recall it getting pretty good reviews so I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

I loved it but I can understand why people disliked it. I hated the third film due to that forced man hating Mary Sue that was played by Halle Barry

Glad she wasn't in the 4th movie

Billbofet

Sweetwater:
This movie takes a very interesting topic - the first black players in the NBA - and makes the most cliched, saccharine, over-acted, made-for-tv nonsense I have seen in a while.
It can't even be blamed on the performances, as they are all solid, it's just bad. The kind of movie where everyone talks in platitudes and the music swells so you know this is a real important scene.
It is stacked with pretty big stars considering the quality of the production - which feels like they all think they are performing in a play or about to break out into a song at any moment.
I found the movie so bad, it actually does a true disservice to the story and history it tries to honor.
The worst part is my son loves it - he's 8 - so I have had to endure this shit in the background for the last four days.

Andyliini

True Lies

I was a bit surprised to find this from Disney+, considering we never received a Blu-ray or even a DVD for this around here. My first time seeing this, and it looks like they wanted to do something James Bond style, as this follows that format, at least in the beginning. The film is quite lenghty, and maybe they should have cut some scenes to make it less bloated in that sense. The action is mostly fine, and it has beautiful women in it, so I enjoyed it. Not Cameron's best, but still entertaining.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Beau is Afraid was a bit of a misfire for me. I could appreciate the weirdness and it was well made, but it's more of a series of vignettes, and it makes no sense thinking about what you are seeing because it might be 99% not real. So you just get to experience it. For me this movie was desperately lacking a deeper layer. I saw it compared to Synecdoche New York which is a movie I loved and did it much better; or at least it worked much better for me.

It gets a bit better when he reaches the house and man Parker Posey still has got it, but overall I was more frustrated than anything.

Last edited:

Andyliini

The Flash

The latest DC film is about the scarlet speedster himself, in his first big screen solo film. I went to see it with my girlfriend who I feared might not understand all this multiverse and parallel timeline stuff. Thankfully it was well explained in the film, so no problem there.

The film is an absolute delight to watch. It lasts for 2 hours and 27 minutes (or something like that), but it went by without me even noticing it. It was great to see Michael Keaton back as Batman, and newcomer Sasha Calle was promising Supergirl. But this film is Ezra Miller's show, and the double role is played to a point here. You can say what you will about the person, but Miller certainly can act, and this is the best role yet. Sure, some CGI is dodgy and the finale is a bit cumbersome, but other than that, quite a ride. Best DC film since Wonder Woman.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Beau is Afraid was a bit of a misfire for me. I could appreciate the weirdness and it was well made, but it's more of a series of vignettes, and it makes no sense thinking about what you are seeing because it might be 99% not real. So you just get to experience it. For me this movie was desperately lacking a deeper layer. I saw it compared to Synecdoche New York which is a movie I loved and did it much better; or at least it worked much better for me.

It gets a bit better when he reaches the house and man Parker Posey still has got it, but overall I was more frustrated than anything.

Too bad because its super well made. The first act gave me some of the biggest laughs I've ever had during a movie and phoenix is really doing some top notch acting

Unfortunately it was just way too long and it began to drag during the second act (family scenes). Lot of artistic value to appreciate in the third act but it should have probably been cut out entirely. Really enjoyed the final act and that scene of Elaine on top of him with bloodshot eyes sent chills down my spine...good stuff. overall an absurd movie that I would never rewatch because of its length but I enjoyed the experience and I can't believe this A24s most expensive movie ever by far 😂

NahaNago

I saw the latest transformers movie, Transformers rise of the beast. It is pretty much the most boring Transformers movie, and they barely used the beast transformers.

Andyliini

Willow

Watched the Blu-Ray release from 2013. It still is a fun fantasy adventure, though the special effects have certainly dated. Other extra material was pretty light considering this is considered a classic film. If I remember correctly, this movie has been rereleased on Blu-Ray recently in certain markets, but atound here this long out of print release is the only one. Thankfully I was able to find one.

Andyliini

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The golden boy movie of 2021, I watched this for the second time now. Time has not been kind to this film. I was kind of amused then, but now I did not enjoy it as much. The four hour epic is very heavy watch, and even in two parts, it was sometimes too much. I found myself browsing internet more and more often.

It is the more coherent cut of Justice League, of course, but is still has problems. Some CGI is very dodgy, huge cast of characters make some of them distant and the music. My god, if I have to listen to one more second of a woman wailing while shit happens on screen, I'm gonna burst. Someone should have told Holkenborg to stop.

Zack Snyder's Justice League

The golden boy movie of 2021, I watched this for the second time now. Time has not been kind to this film. I was kind of amused then, but now I did not enjoy it as much. The four hour epic is very heavy watch, and even in two parts, it was sometimes too much. I found myself browsing internet more and more often.

It is the more coherent cut of Justice League, of course, but is still has problems. Some CGI is very dodgy, huge cast of characters make some of them distant and the music. My god, if I have to listen to one more second of a woman wailing while shit happens on screen, I'm gonna burst. Someone should have told Holkenborg to stop.

Oh yeah there was so many unintentionally funny parts that just got me laughing so hard with tears in my eyes. Especially hard for me to watch due to the aspect ratio. I was like really? Terrible movie

I call him Pretentious Snyder

They should have told Snyder to stop lol

Last edited:

NahaNago

Saw the flash a couple a days ago and that movie felt like it was stitched together with different styles, vibes, and atmosphere. At times it felt like they were going for almost a snyder feel and then it felt like a goofy kids tv show when the two barry's would interact. Some interesting cameos but missed someone of the newer characters. Cameos of several villains would have been nice as well but that might have felt like a spiderverse ripoff. The movie isn't horrible but I just feel like it could have been done a lot better. I think the comic and maybe the cartoon did this story better and felt a bit more touching and epic. I'm mixed on if this should have went more light hearted and touching or far darker and grim almost horror. I'd give this a rating of C.

Tried to watch Evil Dead Rise but it was fucking stupid and I fell asleep. Someone at work said I should watch it. I've only seen the original Evil Dead and the 2013 remake/reboot.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
True Lies.

I've seen it many times before, but just had the urge to watch some classic Arnold.

One thing that struck while watching it was that Harry told Helen a massive lie that's really overlooked.

While under the influence of truth serum, Helen asks Harry if he's killed anyone and he confirms he has, but ensures her they were all "bad" people.

But is that true?

In the opening of the movie when Harry is trying to escape the billionaire party, he decides to go out the front gate. When asked for his invention by a random guard, he pulls out the classic "sure. Here's my invitation" before detonating a previously planeted C4.

Harry then goes to escape and is chased by the random guards on snowmobiles and skis(!). Harry kills tens of guards while trying to escape, shooting them down with pint point accuracy. But were they all bad?

At this point Harry and his boys don't really know how bad this billionaire is. Even they're own boss is unconvinced by their weak evidence. Did that make the guards bad guys? They were paid to do a job, which is protecting their billionaire boss and his rich/powerful friends. They might have just been doing this to provide for their families. They could have been good people.

"But they were shooting at Harry" I here you say. This is true. But Harry chose to exit the party like a fucking maniac. He could have snuck out in a number of different ways that didn't include killing random guards.

Used to be a 10/10 film, but now upon reflection it's a 6/10. Harry not only lied to his family, but lied to himself by trying to pretend he only kills bad people.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sweetwater:
This movie takes a very interesting topic - the first black players in the NBA - and makes the most cliched, saccharine, over-acted, made-for-tv nonsense I have seen in a while.
It can't even be blamed on the performances, as they are all solid, it's just bad. The kind of movie where everyone talks in platitudes and the music swells so you know this is a real important scene.
It is stacked with pretty big stars considering the quality of the production - which feels like they all think they are performing in a play or about to break out into a song at any moment.
I found the movie so bad, it actually does a true disservice to the story and history it tries to honor.
The worst part is my son loves it - he's 8 - so I have had to endure this shit in the background for the last four days.
I watched this as well and while it is a good story it is told poorly.

Watched a movie this morning on Netflix called "Becky". Was alright I suppose. Writing/Plot was not great but if you like movies with violence and gore it might be worth checking out. The general plot is that some nazi prisoners escape and break into a house but Becky is an angsty teen and wants to kill them all.

I had to look away at one point and cringed at another. I didn't expect it to be that gory lol. There is a sequel called "The Wrath of Becky" so I might watch that if I can find it. I could see it being good if they go all in with the silliness and violence.

EDIT: I watched the Mario movie today. I really liked it. Wish it was a bit longer as it did feel rushed at times. Hope we get a sequel! Charlie as Luigi was brilliant but I couldn't get Sunny Charlie out my mind. At times I could forget Chris Pratt or Jack Black were Mario/Bowser. I'm not saying Charlie was bad but I'm too used to watching Sunny.

Last edited:

Andyliini

The Batman

This isn't really a super hero movie (though Batman never had superpowers in the first place?) and instead plays like a detective story, very much like Zodiac. For the first time in movies about the caped crusader, it's the first time I see that for Bruce, Batman is the person he actually is, while Bruce Wayne is more like a stand-in, someone he has to use as an later ego. The movie is well written, but also extremely slow paced, the few action scenes it has are often short, but effective. Especially the highway chase scene. Big thumps up also has to go to whoever was in charge of lighting the set. The shots are often dark, but it's always clear what is happening. Soundtrack also works extremely well.

GeekyDad

The Batman

This isn't really a super hero movie (though Batman never had superpowers in the first place?) and instead plays like a detective story, very much like Zodiac. For the first time in movies about the caped crusader, it's the first time I see that for Bruce, Batman is the person he actually is, while Bruce Wayne is more like a stand-in, someone he has to use as an later ego. The movie is well written, but also extremely slow paced, the few action scenes it has are often short, but effective. Especially the highway chase scene. Big thumps up also has to go to whoever was in charge of lighting the set. The shots are often dark, but it's always clear what is happening. Soundtrack also works extremely well.
Yeah, it lived up to the trailer in terms of it being a true detective tale set in a fictional place. I do disagree with you regarding its execution, however. I think the actors did a great job -- pretty much all of them. I think, ultimately, the movie's (as it was released on Day 1 in the theaters) main faults all lie in the editing. So much should have been left on the cutting room floor. It's mostly a matter of "less is more" here. And a few effects scenes needed major clean-up.

I'm hoping we get a tighter, more considered movie with the inevitable sequel.

Humdinger

Master and Commander.

I rarely watch movies anymore, but this is the best one I have seen in years. Great cast, beautiful cinematography, top-notch writing, historically accurate. For those who haven't seen it, the movie is about leadership at sea during wartime, men, friendship, and obsession. It's very well acted, with Russell Crowe at the top of his game. Some people expect Gladiator at sea. It's not that; it's more of an art film. But it has some tremendous action sequences too, with close attention to historical detail. I especially liked the dynamic between the captain and the doctor.

It's an excellent film all around. Highly recommended.

Billbofet

All is Lost
Fantastic movie. Not for everyone, as there are maybe three sentences of dialogue. It is not action packed, just thoughtful, meaningful, sad, uplifting, quiet. Could totally see why someone would hate this, but I took a lot away from this. Loved it!

Muffdraul

I waited until John Wick 4 was streaming, I finally saw it whenever that was. A month and a half ago maybe? Then a couple of weeks ago I bought the JW trilogy 4K set and started re-watching them in order. It's probably been less than two years since I last re-watched them. Now I'm watching JW4 again. I thought it was "pretty good" the first time I saw it, but I'm enjoying it much more the second time around.

Hoppa

Beau is afraid

What the fuck was this movie, entertaining but very bizarre. It has an unsettling feeling all throughout that I guess is intentional but it sometimes felt like it was a movie made using AI like that one pizza commercial. Sometimes the camera just hangs on a shot of a person doing nothing for a few seconds which was kinda creepy, but it’s apparently a comedy? I think I liked it, I haven’t used ‘random’ as an adjective in years but this movie deserves it. I’ll probably watch it again at some point

Mr Hyde

cSjqZ3w.jpg

Hellraiser (2022)

After the declining quality of this once great franchise it's good to see it come back in great shape yet again. I'm a huge Hellraiser fan and this movie is excellent, easily on par with the original trilogy. The new actress who plays Pinhead, or the Hell Priest as it's labeled in the credits, felt eerily close to the original version that Clive Barker describes in his novella "The Hellbound Heart", which Hellraiser is based on. Of course, nothing comes close to the legendary portrayal of Pinhead that Doug Bradley established, but this new version is very much up there in terms of creepiness, intelligence and charisma. The new actress nailed it.

Story is good as far as a reboot goes and I love that we get to see new contraptions of the puzzle box, showing how elaborate it really is. The movie has some gnarly special effects too, mostly in camera, with the gore cranked up to eleven. The makeup of the cenobites are also very well made, with old favorites returning as well as new ones emerging.

Simply put, it's a fucking great Hellraiser movie and a great horror film period.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Weathering With You

It's good, but the bizarre earnestness the protags of these new Japanese anime movies have is just weird to me. Anyways, I thought it was an intense modern take on old mythology. I found myself really rooting for a happy ending. My wife was literally squeezing my arm as the final moments unfolded.

4/5

sedg87

Banned
Little Bone Lodge
Dull horror. Seen it all before and I guessed the 'twist' about five minutes in. 4/10

Warlock
I really liked this film when I was younger, and since Julian Sands passed recently, I decided to give it another go. Sands is excellent as the warlock. 8/10.

Subspecies
I remember watching this on TV in the 90s; I think it was one of those crappy U.K. channels called Bravo or something similar. It's ridiculously cheesy in every aspect but there's some real charm also. Way better than most vampire movies. 8/10

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
D&D Honor Among Thieves
8/10

Super nerdy and full of Forgotten Realms and D&D references that add a lot if you pick up on them, but works for general audiences too. Times have changed for something like this to get made faithfully and with a solid budget. Even warmed up to the dad jokes as it went.

Weathering With You

It's good, but the bizarre earnestness the protags of these new Japanese anime movies have is just weird to me. Anyways, I thought it was an intense modern take on old mythology. I found myself really rooting for a happy ending. My wife was literally squeezing my arm as the final moments unfolded.

4/5
Rewatched it recently after reading the novel. Have you seen any other Makoto Shinkai movies? If you haven't seen "Your Name" then you need to watch it if you enjoyed Weathering. Also recommend The Garden of Words and 5 Centimeteres Per Second. There are more but I am still to watch all his movies.

I'm waiting patiently for see Suzume but I don't think it's out on bluray in Japan until next month. I'm kicking myself for not going to see it in the cinema but I was all late showings so couldn't make it work.

Not Shinkai movies but "A Silent Voice" and "I Want To Eat Your Pancreas" were great. After watching "Your Name" I got into anime movies. I wouldn't say I am an expert on these movies but they are all good places to start I think. I'm still working my way through a lot of movies. Only recently watched classics from Studio Ghibli so what do I know lol. Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke were my favourites. Watched My Neighbor Tortoro and Spirited Away which were good but I think I need to rewatch them.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rewatched it recently after reading the novel. Have you seen any other Makoto Shinkai movies? If you haven't seen "Your Name" then you need to watch it if you enjoyed Weathering. Also recommend The Garden of Words and 5 Centimeteres Per Second.

I intend on watching all of his stuff, yea. Weathering is all I've seen so far.

Mr Hyde

The Witches (1990)

This movie was way worse than I remember it. Thought it was a great movie as a kid, it was scary and tense, but as an adult it was a snoozefest. Angelica Hudton is the only shining light, carrying the entire movie all by herself. And the makeup effects are solid as hell. Jim Henson pulled off an incredible feat here, that should be praised. But the rest? Oof, it has notaged well. Won't even bother with the remake.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Master and Commander.

I rarely watch movies anymore, but this is the best one I have seen in years. Great cast, beautiful cinematography, top-notch writing, historically accurate. For those who haven't seen it, the movie is about leadership at sea during wartime, men, friendship, and obsession. It's very well acted, with Russell Crowe at the top of his game. Some people expect Gladiator at sea. It's not that; it's more of an art film. But it has some tremendous action sequences too, with close attention to historical detail. I especially liked the dynamic between the captain and the doctor.

It's an excellent film all around. Highly recommended.

Hell yes

IElggZI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom