• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Move Over Horse Armor - The New Xbox Wireless Headset Comes With 6 Months Of Dolby Atmos

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s ok we can afford it because we ain’t paying the extra £10 for our games
See what I mean.
Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You brought us up as victims, your bait
You're crying over your favorite brand, in a circle jerk over only 1 avatar poster, me, to the point where you think you need to dig at an unrelated to the topic brand. Offended for your plastic toys.

I don't even own a PS5, and bought a gaming laptop instead, but carry on as if $10 is such a dig.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
See what I mean.
Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO
You brought us up as victims, your bait
You're crying over your favorite brand, in a circle jerk over only 1 avatar poster, me, to the point where you think you need to dig at an unrelated to the topic brand. Offended for your plastic toys.

I don't even own a PS5, and bought a gaming laptop instead, but carry on as if $10 is such a dig.
your one of the biggest warriors on here.

I own a PS4 , series x , switch and a gaming pc. So favourite brand? I prefer my Xbox but still like my PS4 so no problem as for the £10 your the one talking about plastic boxes and such lol

iQuasarLV

Again, read. My first post was very early in the thread #22. As was your response to it #25. Please point me in the direction of the Sony references in those first 25 posts...

If you are going to play the deflection game, get better at it.
Sure CTRL+F is your friend. Post #12.

Also, how TF did you leap to the logic that post #25 was a dig at MS for Sony's benefit by that jargon? I can reading comprehension pretty damn good, but this feels like putting your words into someone else mouth. The furthest I can read into #25 before assuming shit is that MS wanted to add a talking point bullet presentation to their headphones to seperate it from the pack.

This in a market filled with the following competitors (via a quick Google search)
SteelSeries Arctis 7X and 7P
Razer Blackshark V2 / V2X
Logitech G Pro X Wireless
Corsair HS70 Bluetooth
Fnatic React
Roccat Elo X Stereo
LucidSound LS15P / LS15X
SteelSeries Arctis Pro
Audeze Penrose
Astro A40 TR with MixAmp Pro
Epos GTW 270 Hybrid
Nuraphone + Gaming Microphone
Sennheiser GSP 600
Creative SXFI Gamer
Corsair HS60 Haptic
Bonus: Sound Blaster G3

Yet, somehow you want to just narrow down the field to Pro Sony and anti Microsoft in this thread. based off post #25? That right there is arrogance. Microsoft is contending with more than Sony's first party offering. They are contending with the open third party market as well. They have to put themselves above the very competition the let through the door. Their marketing team wanted to add a bullet point to their product in an attempt to separate it from the herd. Knowing full well they could add an asterisk saying, "Oh, by the way, you gotta pony up $15 more than the competition to use a feature we advertised with."

Within conext, before the arguments over 11 pages turned this into an armchair psychologist circle jerk in an attempt to manipulate OP chosen words into a trap to admit its a "pro sony - anti microsoft stance, OP had a point that this was a shit move by MS and their marketing to advertise something at $99 to look better than the rest and knowing full well it would cost more to get the most out of the product.

iQuasarLV

Do you have any evidence that it will change ? Or you just making that up?
Sure do. History.

Video games
Cars
Cable/Satellite TV
Smart TVs
Home Appliances

Need I go on? If you want a specific example from any of those topics I would be happy to oblige. Just because they haven't gotten away with it yet on PC components doesn't mean they aren't trying. Remember when Intel tried to lock out motherboard features based on how much money you spent on a CPU 4 years ago??? No? Check out Linus Tech Tips and his response to it.

RGB is another example of paying a premium for something. I hate RGB shit, but guess what 90% of the offerings have it now at a higher price than nonRGB. Is there really an option when there is no option?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sure do. History.

Video games
Cars
Cable/Satellite TV
Smart TVs
Home Appliances

Need I go on? If you want a specific example from any of those topics I would be happy to oblige. Just because they haven't gotten away with it yet on PC components doesn't mean they aren't trying. Remember when Intel tried to lock out motherboard features based on how much money you spent on a CPU 4 years ago??? No? Check out Linus Tech Tips and his response to it.

RGB is another example of paying a premium for something. I hate RGB shit, but guess what 90% of the offerings have it now at a higher price than nonRGB. Is there really an option when there is no option?

so how does any of that compare with a one off payment with Dolby?

DaGwaphics

Sure CTRL+F is your friend. Post #12.

Also, how TF did you leap to the logic that post #25 was a dig at MS for Sony's benefit by that jargon? I can reading comprehension pretty damn good, but this feels like putting your words into someone else mouth. The furthest I can read into #25 before assuming shit is that MS wanted to add a talking point bullet presentation to their headphones to seperate it from the pack.

This in a market filled with the following competitors (via a quick Google search)
SteelSeries Arctis 7X and 7P
Razer Blackshark V2 / V2X
Logitech G Pro X Wireless
Corsair HS70 Bluetooth
Fnatic React
Roccat Elo X Stereo
LucidSound LS15P / LS15X
SteelSeries Arctis Pro
Audeze Penrose
Astro A40 TR with MixAmp Pro
Epos GTW 270 Hybrid
Nuraphone + Gaming Microphone
Sennheiser GSP 600
Creative SXFI Gamer
Corsair HS60 Haptic
Bonus: Sound Blaster G3

Yet, somehow you want to just narrow down the field to Pro Sony and anti Microsoft in this thread. based off post #25? That right there is arrogance. Microsoft is contending with more than Sony's first party offering. They are contending with the open third party market as well. They have to put themselves above the very competition the let through the door. Their marketing team wanted to add a bullet point to their product in an attempt to separate it from the herd. Knowing full well they could add an asterisk saying, "Oh, by the way, you gotta pony up $15 more than the competition to use a feature we advertised with."

Within conext, before the arguments over 11 pages turned this into an armchair psychologist circle jerk in an attempt to manipulate OP chosen words into a trap to admit its a "pro sony - anti microsoft stance, OP had a point that this was a shit move by MS and their marketing to advertise something at $99 to look better than the rest and knowing full well it would cost more to get the most out of the product.

If you can point me in the direction of the threads where the Corsair and Razer warriors are going at it, I'd be happy to include them. The "plastic idols' thing is fairly limiting as it stands.

About sales, let's be honest now, these headsets don't have real competitors on their respective platforms going forward. The third-party brands have thrived because Sony and MS didn't bother to market Brand specific gaming headsets.

By generations end, the MS unit will be the best selling unit for Xbox users, the PS headset will hold the same position. Buyers that are very informed or are audiophiles in general will look at other (probably more expensive) options while a good 60% of the console buyers will just grab the official branded unit.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

so how does any of that compare with a one off payment with Dolby?
Not gonna Explain-like-I-Am-5 it for you.
Contextually, every one of those topics have a history of offering things built-in or optionally initially. Then becoming a must pay for later rolling it into other necessary shit.

Video games: Want multiplayer? Gotta buy the yearly pass
Cars: Want bigger tires? Gotta buy the sport package with decals and chrome
Cable: Want DVR? Gotta pay for the whole home package with internet.
Appliances: Want a water dispenser? Gotta buy one with an ice maker and combo air / water filtration
Smart TVs: Want a 4k TV with App support? Gotta take our built in Ads with microphone recording and usages tracking.
---Don't want that? Pay for the extended manufacturer warranty for a firmware update.

All those features should be optional by themselves. But no, eventually you, as a consumer, get fucked by the marketing teams, manufacturer, or societal pressure to take this shit because sales #s determine that the public by and large just accepted it and you will have to as well. Or, you know, just don't buy it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not gonna Explain-like-I-Am-5 it for you.
Contextually, every one of those topics have a history of offering things built-in or optionally initially. Then becoming a must pay for later rolling it into other necessary shit.

Video games: Want multiplayer? Gotta buy the yearly pass
Cars: Want bigger tires? Gotta buy the sport package with decals and chrome
Cable: Want DVR? Gotta pay for the whole home package with internet.
Appliances: Want a water dispenser? Gotta buy one with an ice maker and combo air / water filtration
Smart TVs: Want a 4k TV with App support? Gotta take our built in Ads with microphone recording and usages tracking.
---Don't want that? Pay for the extended manufacturer warranty for a firmware update.

All those features should be optional by themselves. But no, eventually you, as a consumer, get fucked by the marketing teams, manufacturer, or societal pressure to take this shit because sales #s determine that the public by and large just accepted it and you will have to as well. Or, you know, just don't buy it.

Again a lot of what you used as an example are one off payments, sport package on a car? You dont pay every year for their sport package or they take it off you

again smart tv’s you have the option for the apps and stuff so bad examples.

Atmos will always be a one off payment

end of the day it’s an option, unfortunately the other consoles are not giving that option at all

Last edited:

Excess

I don't really understand why Atmos is an additional license cost, and not just that, specifically for headphones. Whereas, home theater Atmos is available for free on Windows. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the headphone version of Atmos is much more highly compressed, unlike the home theater version, which is lossless?

On the flip-side, I've also seen community posts where Samsung owners want the option to purchase a Dolby Vision license separately because Samsung TVs lack DV, so maybe Microsoft is on to something? Maybe it is better to offer it as an option, rather than baking it into the price? It'll be interesting to see if this trend continues with other products.

iQuasarLV

Again a lot of what you used as an example are one off payments, sport package on a car? You dont pay every year for their sport package or they take it off you

again smart tv’s you have the option for the apps and stuff so bad examples.

Atmos will always be a one off payment

end of the day it’s an option, unfortunately the other consoles are not giving that option at all
Whoosh man.

You said:

One Time.

I said:

For now.

You asked me to elaborate and I did.

Now you drop the very reason you asked me to explain my stance of "For now." I explained the context and you say I am missing the point...

I said for now not as a precursor to subscription model, but as a precursor to forced inclusion feature sets whether the consumer wants it or not. They are going to pay for it.

Atmos is optional for now. Who is to say in the future it won't get rolled into a headset purchase for $15 more to make the headset $114.99 whether you want it or not?
Also, you cannot sit there with a straight face and claim that you know that Microsof isn't offering this feature as a test to see what the market adoption rate is. Hell they may choose to roll it in sometime in the future and roll the cost down to the consumer. You cannot sit there and claim I am wrong and you are right when we are both hypothesizing outcomes. We are both right, and we are both wrong because neither of us can see the future.

All this is just from the consumer side. Can you imagine how pissed developers and designers would be if some middle management yahoo came into the office and said, "I think this year we are going to tack on X feature to our product because we got a great deal and can charge MSRP for it on the bottom line."

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't really understand why Atmos is an additional license cost, and not just that, specifically for headphones. Whereas, home theater Atmos is available for free on Windows. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the headphone version of Atmos is much more highly compressed, unlike the home theater version, which is lossless?

On the flip-side, I've also seen community posts where Samsung owners want the option to purchase a Dolby Vision license separately because Samsung TVs lack DV, so maybe Microsoft is on to something? Maybe it is better to offer it as an option, rather than baking it into the price? It'll be interesting to see if this trend continues with other products.
Home Theatre Atmos/Receiver decoding is already built into the Xbox OS. This is specifically for an Atmos app for headphones that takes an audio source and applies an algorithm for spatial sound.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

All right you are sir.

The reason its free on Windows is because the license fee is rolled into the receiver purchase hardware side. That's why Atmos receivers are so much more expensive than the non-variants.

Also I would wholeheartedly welcome an Ala-carte advertising of options. Some companies do it, and I love that. Its just that the biggest cows in the pasture do these types of marketing and I am forced to wonder if they aren't doing shady shit under the table. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
All right you are sir.

The reason its free on Windows is because the license fee is rolled into the receiver purchase hardware side. That's why Atmos receivers are so much more expensive than the non-variants.

Also I would wholeheartedly welcome an Ala-carte advertising of options. Some companies do it, and I love that. Its just that the biggest cows in the pasture do these types of marketing and I am forced to wonder if they aren't doing shady shit under the table. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Id love to see some receipts on that claim.

iJudged

Banned
I actually got these just last night, an unexpected gift.

I did not get a chance to try them on my Xbox/PS5/PC but did pair them to my phone and ran some tests and listened to some tunes, the noise canceling is extremely effective, it sounds well enough for me, I am by no means an audiophile, I did like the sound, the deep bass and the highs. I do like the dial on each side of the earcup, one for volume and the other for the mic, gonna be super convenient when playing to adjust quickly on the fly if you're having trouble hearing someone. Also, I like the way mic tucks in to the side of the earpad. They're relatively light. That is all.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Whoosh man.

You said:

One Time.

I said:

For now.

You asked me to elaborate and I did.

Now you drop the very reason you asked me to explain my stance of "For now." I explained the context and you say I am missing the point...

I said for now not as a precursor to subscription model, but as a precursor to forced inclusion feature sets whether the consumer wants it or not. They are going to pay for it.

Atmos is optional for now. Who is to say in the future it won't get rolled into a headset purchase for $15 more to make the headset $114.99 whether you want it or not?
Also, you cannot sit there with a straight face and claim that you know that Microsof isn't offering this feature as a test to see what the market adoption rate is. Hell they may choose to roll it in sometime in the future and roll the cost down to the consumer. You cannot sit there and claim I am wrong and you are right when we are both hypothesizing outcomes. We are both right, and we are both wrong because neither of us can see the future.

All this is just from the consumer side. Can you imagine how pissed developers and designers would be if some middle management yahoo came into the office and said, "I think this year we are going to tack on X feature to our product because we got a great deal and can charge MSRP for it on the bottom line."
And as a consumer I have my Dolby Atmos stuff ready and get a PS5 (eventually) or my Nintendo switch and go for my Full Atmos and wait.......no option to use it 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

very consumer friendly eh, oh wait I have to use Sony’s propriety headphones to get full 3D sound.oh wait the switch doesn’t offer any 3D sound

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

iQuasarLV

And as a consumer I have my Dolby Atmos stuff ready and get a PS5 (eventually) or my Nintendo switch and go for my Full Atmos and wait.......no option to use it 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

very consumer friendly eh, oh wait I have to use Sony’s propriety headphones to get full 3D sound.oh wait the switch doesn’t offer any 3D sound
PS5 = Wrong. Any headset headphones that can jack into the controller will get the feature

Also keep it to one Eco-system. Competing brands does not equal forced inclusive features. Otherwise known as a closed Eco-system, ala Apple.

You just made an argument like equating Apples feature failures to Android feature sets. You cannot do that. Apples and oranges man. They're both phones right, but fuck drastically different setups.

And Dolby Atmos is not a 3D audio technology. Its surround sound. probably the same bullshit Sony pulls to call their tempest audio 3D. But that is a whole other debate about subjective interpretation.

iQuasarLV

Lets say thats correct as the document over 15 years old and likely has been updated.

If they charge per channel that would not increase the cost specifically for atmos as there were multi channel receivers before atmos.
Look I am diabetic and there is a certain reality I need you to understand. Insulin is old patent wise. Yet why do I still pay over $425 each prescription. Because they renew their patents every 12 years. Tweak a formulae for delivery and viola new patent.

Oh look we introduced a height element to a 7.1 setup in 2017 and filed for a new patent. Viola new royalties.

Don't argue with me on the first point that shit is 27 years of experience talking. I will fight you :messenger_smirking:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PS5 = Wrong. Any headset headphones that can jack into the controller will get the feature

Also keep it to one Eco-system. Competing brands does not equal forced inclusive features. Otherwise known as a closed Eco-system, ala Apple.

You just made an argument like equating Apples feature failures to Android feature sets. You cannot do that. Apples and oranges man. They're both phones right, but fuck drastically different setups.

And Dolby Atmos is not a 3D audio technology. Its surround sound. probably the same bullshit Sony pulls to call their tempest audio 3D. But that is a whole other debate about subjective interpretation.

agree on the 3D surround sound especially with only headphones.

we agree on something finally!!!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Look I am diabetic and there is a certain reality I need you to understand. Insulin is old patent wise. Yet why do I still pay over $425 each prescription. Because they renew their patents every 12 years. Tweak a formulae for delivery and viola new patent.

Oh look we introduced a height element to a 7.1 setup in 2017 and filed for a new patent. Viola new royalties.

Don't argue with me on the first point that shit is 27 years of experience talking. I will fight you :messenger_smirking:

No one is trying to claim that new licenses and technologies dont cost more. But your specific claim was that Atmos specifically drives up the cost. But to try and claim its just Atmos is a bit silly.

What about DTS X? HDMI 2.1? VRR? More Channels. Etc Etc.

Top Bottom