• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Move Over Horse Armor - The New Xbox Wireless Headset Comes With 6 Months Of Dolby Atmos

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Why are you keep bringing conventional 7.1 setups and tv speakers that will never utilize 3D audio accurately, ever? Stop moving goalposts and admit that you were insulting Cerny and calling him a FUD spreader when it was the truth.

oTfWgV3.png

It's like saying the TV is better than VR when no one is talking about ordinary TV's. Wake up.
If talking about 7.1, same as Atmos. You can do so much with typical setup before hitting the ceiling. HRTF? 32 vs hundreds is a massive gap in favor of the Tempest.
I get it. Same or inferior to Windows Sonic then.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If talking about 7.1, same as Atmos. You can do so much with typical setup before hitting the ceiling. HRTF? 32 vs hundreds is a massive gap in favor of the Tempest.
It shows that you don’t know what your talking about. You are googling stuff to try and make yourself right but you are not reading what you are copy and pasting.

you do know the difference between channels and objects don’t you?
dolby has come out and said Cerny is wrong and that Atmos can handle hundreds of objects but you believe Cerny above everybody else lol

Last edited:

Gatox

Banned
It shows that you don’t know what your talking about. You are googling stuff to try and make yourself right but you are not reading what you are copy and pasting.

you do know the difference between channels and objects don’t you?
dolby has come out and said Cerny is wrong and that Atmos can handle hundreds of objects but you believe Cerny above everybody else lol
Dolby Atmos issued the following statement.

“It is not correct that Dolby Atmos handles 32 objects maximum. As a technology, Dolby Atmos can support hundreds of objects simultaneously. Having said that, we refer to some advice from game developers who have already created content with Atmos support: objects are fantastic tools, but you should use them sparingly as regards their number in activity within the same scene. Too many moving objects can create a confusing sound environment. “

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exposed? Literally an arrangement that exists since 2017, and everyone knew about it. Only now you find a reason to concern troll.
were not worthy waynes world GIF

Take My Money GIF by memecandy

cOnCeRn tRoLl

Shut up and pay up, consoooooomer! The criticism is about the practice, no matter "how old."

Every perceived criticism against your favorite brand, is "concern troll." Put the thread on ignore, sunshine, it seems to be upsetting you.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

cOnCeRn tRoLl

Shut up and pay up, consoooooomer! The criticism is about the practice, no matter "how old."

Every perceived criticism against your favorite brand, is "concern troll." Put the thread on ignore, sunshine, it seems to be upsetting you.

mate you criticising Microsoft for giving you options Sony hasn’t?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
mate you criticising Microsoft for giving you options Sony hasn’t?
See, some you are incapable of accepting criticism without dragging in Sony (or MS vice/versa). I don't give a fuck all, and would criticize them the same. Why not bring Nintendo into this? You know why? Because some of you live and breath Sony vs Xbox 24/7. Any criticism against your favorite brand, you have to drag in the war proxy as deflection.

The criticism is about the practice and precedent it sets, no matter the FOR THE BRAAAAANNNND banners.

Cope.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
See, some you are incapable of accepting criticism without dragging in Sony (or MS vice/versa). I don't give a fuck all, and would criticize them the same. Why not bring Nintendo into this? You know why? Because some of you live and breath Sony vs Xbox 24/7. Any criticism against your favorite brand, you have to drag in the war proxy as deflection.

The criticism is about the practice and precedent it sets, no matter the FOR THE BRAAAAANNNND banners.

Cope.

that doesn’t answer the question I asked, are you criticising Microsoft for giving you extra options?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
that doesn’t answer the question I asked, are you criticising Microsoft for giving you extra options?
You asked, bu bu bu bu bu what about Sony!?

I answered, clearly in my post what the criticisms entail. Remove the console war bullshit from your brain, and view it objectively.
The criticism is about the practice and precedent it sets
You see it as options, or a fucking console war, I'm old school and see it as another way to nickel and dime what would have been standard prior to tWeNtY sEvEnTeEn. And if others want to jump on in, in the not so distant future, then one time standard options will now be upcharges.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I answered, clearly in my post what the criticisms entail. Remove the console war bullshit from your brain, and view it objectively.

I am removing the console war from this, how is it a criticising to offer you optional extra?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
See above.

You edited your post, so these consoles cost a lot to make, all THREE consoles have decided that to pay for the licence it would up the cost, so one console maker has decided to offer it as an extra. Where is the problem?

I call out the other console makers for not giving me the option

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

You see it as options, or a fucking console war, I'm old school and see it as another way to nickel and dime what would have been standard prior to tWeNtY sEvEnTeEn. And if others want to jump on in, in the not so distant future, then one time standard options will now be upcharges.
I asked you this a few times and never got a response. So again, how is it nickle and diming?

Are buying apps nickle and diming? If I buy an EQ app on my phone that allows for more bands to tune my audio am I being nickled and dimed? If I buy software that allows me to do anything other than what the dedicated baseline experience is, am I being nickled and dimed?

This true? Selling a spec feature as DLC now?
Atmos isn't a feature of headphones, it's its own thing, works with any headphones and isn't free. Sometimes headphone manufacturers bundle in a license as long as you're using their headphones but at the end of the day you're still paying for it, whether it's a one time fee for a permanent license, or with your headphones.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I asked you this a few times and never got a response. So again, how is it nickle and diming?

Are buying apps nickle and diming? If I buy an EQ app on my phone that allows for more bands to tune my audio am I being nickled and dimed? If I buy software that allows me to do anything other than what the dedicated baseline experience is, am I being nickled and dimed?
Yes, we've been nickled and dimed since horse armor. That is the point. Some like it and enjoy the new payment options, others not so much and remember a time when soundboard makers to game makers would have free maps and sound fonts just for being loyal customers.

That is the crux of the tug o war.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

cOnCeRn tRoLl

"Practice". This is literally the model Dolby uses. Criticism against MTX is because publishers are changing the existing business model to increase their profits. Dolby Atmos for hedphones requires you to buy a 15 USD license for 10 devices. You are hoping to create a similar outrage over a third party codec's licensing policies to that of MTX and DLC's. Often replying with GIF's to fill the void you hoped to get filled being validated by your pals.
This practice is entirely on Dolby, yet not only did you paint it as wholly on Microsoft but you even attack posters for suggesting this is just Dolby's policy.
Its the same thing as EA Play on Game Pass. Its good that it happened, but what you are doing is equivalent to someone raging if EA Play was not part of Game Pass.
MTX changed an existing model. If you are concerned over something that was not based on changing the model of an exiting practice, that is concern trolling. Literally no one had issues with paying the Dolby Atmos for headphones license since 2017, yet you are hoping for people to get outraged now, that is concern trolling.
Figures, your desperation at seeking false equivalence with horse armor DLC, because you are creating an issue over something no one thought of as an issue. You want the equivalent outrage from horse armour DLC and even that from the wrong target, the platform holder who does not charge or get anything from that licensing fee.
cOnCeRn tRoLl

Shut up and pay up, consoooooomer!
SonyToo™
FOR THE BRAAAAANNNND banners.
Why do you think I requoted your own post to you?
You project a certain image you hoped to get from other users. Probably the only form self validation you can get is desperately formatting their posts/your projected posts by alternating casing of the words, bolding and increasing font size or just give up and use upper case altogether. This is not much different from the ;) emoji users.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yes, we've been nickled and dimed since horse armor. That is the point. Some like it and enjoy the new payment options, others not so much and remember a time when soundboard makers to game makers would have free maps and sound fonts just for being loyal customers.

That is the crux of the tug o war.

No one is required to purchase anything. Nickel and dimed is being charged fees to keep using a product/service. You are actively taking things away from a product that makes it no longer usable if you are nickle and diming someone. If I dont pay for the Dolby atmos app, I am still able to use the product in every way I was before. That will not change in any capacity with the atmos app.

iQuasarLV

Atmos isn't a feature of headphones, it's its own thing, works with any headphones and isn't free. Sometimes headphone manufacturers bundle in a license as long as you're using their headphones but at the end of the day you're still paying for it, whether it's a one time fee for a permanent license, or with your headphones.
I believe MS should have doubled down on the clarity of their marketing at the time of announcement. But when has that stopped marketing advertisers from cowboy marketing?

The Xbox Wireless Headset and Xbox X|S SUPPORT the Doly Atmos feature. It does not include it.

Taken from their product page.
Supports spatial sound technologies including Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, and DTS Headphone:X for realism and audio precision that fully surrounds you.*

What does the * mean?
*Audio customization available via the Xbox Accessories app for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows 10 Devices. Windows 10 app support available after installing the latest Windows update. Use a compatible USB-C cable (sold separately) to configure audio settings on the Xbox Accessories App when using a Windows 10 PC. Some voice chat features require Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Live Gold (memberships sold separately). Dolby Atmos and DTS:X: may require additional purchases, app downloads, and supported hardware. Battery life varies significantly with distance from console, additional accessories, usage and other factors. Testing conducted by Microsoft using pre-production units.

I feel like I am reading the small print of a car ad there. That there be a whole lot O' caveats.

Bernkastel

Yes, we've been nickled and dimed since horse armor. That is the point. Some like it and enjoy the new payment options, others not so much.
Define "others". An internet avatar suddenly getting concerned over something that no one considered as an issue is not "others".

iQuasarLV

Off topic, I just want to say that Dolby Atmos can support 24.1. 10 setups, it is in no way limited to 7.1 LOL
I guess if you can afford that and run a movie theater. I am lucky to have sat in one. It sounds goddamn good, but at home meh. I suppose it gets lost in the translation between theater and home. I do not have the environment setup to properly utilize the product.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Okay. Now explain what Microsoft has got to do with this.
Sony again, eh?

Just let the thread die if it bothers you so much, or does it grate at you so much that you just can't not click on it? It'll be okay. MS will be okay. There stocks are doing well. We all win!
Same as above. I don't see you crying about negative or critical Nintendo or Sony threads. Ignore the thread or Cope.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Who needs that inferior tech when you got...

Tempest2019.jpg

Well that's great and all for the 10 games that support it so far, where as the MS solution actually supports all of their games, including older ones.........
It also hasn't proven in any real world capacity that it is leaps and bounds above the MS solution, so there's that too.

DaGwaphics

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

I posted "Or you could just use Windows Sonic and never spend the $15. 🤪" without mentioning Sony at all. Nor had anyone mentioned Sony at that point, and you responded with:

But that’s not the bullet point that we can use as fanatics when comparing plastic idol specs!!!*

*sold separately

So clearly your issue was that you saw Dolby Atmos as bullet point for MS vs. Sony in this imaginary battle of headsets and this thread was meant to diminish that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

I posted "Or you could just use Windows Sonic and never spend the $15. 🤪" without mentioning Sony at all. Nor had anyone mentioned Sony at that point, and you responded with:

So clearly your issue was that you saw Dolby Atmos as bullet point for MS vs. Sony in this imaginary battle of headsets and this thread was meant to diminish that.
I never mentioned Sony in the OP nor ever brought them up first in the thread. It was warriors coming in and bringing them up by proxy which caused me to comment about them.

I even praised both products for sound quality at a $99 price point.

DaGwaphics

I never mentioned Sony in the OP nor ever brought them up first in the thread. It was warriors coming in and bringing them up by proxy which caused me to comment about them.

No one had mentioned Sony when you were ranting about plastic idol specs.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

You talked about platform holder responsibility of paying for the licence, one platform holder has given an option if people want to use it, the others haven’t.

you mentioned platform holder as a dig at Microsoft in your third post on this thread.

DaGwaphics

Are you kidding me. Everyone including you were dropping Sony by name... when the OP did not mention them once.
the league please GIF

Again, read. My first post was very early in the thread #22. As was your response to it #25. Please point me in the direction of the Sony references in those first 25 posts...

If you are going to play the deflection game, get better at it.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
From these which were several years old, hence my "working with old info from when they started their R&D at the time," possibly. I don't believe there were any malicious intent of easily verifiable info by Cerny.
32 Channels, Dolby Atmos, Auro3D...Trinnov is proud to set new standards with the Altitude32 (campaign-archive.com)
Trinnov demo Altitude32 Atmos and Auro3D processor | AVForums
Timeframes add up from when one would start the R&D into Tempest, that the only hardware for Atmos at the time was 32.

just remember that this is the guy who brought up a 32 speaker amp as why Cerny might have gotten it wrong with Atmos and 32 objects lol

sorry dude but that one really made me laugh

Bernkastel

You can also start console war bait like this. Infact this method is more effective.
MS be like,
Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF
Oh fuck right off. You huff your own team green farts like the rest of us on here.

Remove your head from your ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom