• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Move Over Horse Armor - The New Xbox Wireless Headset Comes With 6 Months Of Dolby Atmos

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm not a scientist but how I understand it (from copying and pasting off of a random google link) is:

"Atoms are small. Really, really small. You’ll probably have heard that matter is made of bundles of these tiny things. You’ll likely also know that you can’t see them with the naked eye. We are told to take on trust the idea that atoms are there, interacting with each other and being building blocks for our world. For most people, though, that’s not good enough. Science prides itself on the way it uses real observations to work out the mysteries of the universe – so how did we come to conclude that atoms exist, and what have we learned about these tiny structures?

It might seem as if there’s a simple way to prove atoms exist: put them under the microscope. But this approach won’t work. In fact, even the most powerful light-focusing microscopes can’t visualise single atoms. What makes an object visible is the way it deflects visible light waves. Atoms are so much smaller than the wavelength of visible light that the two don’t really interact. To put it another way, atoms are invisible to light itself. However, atoms do have observable effects on some of the things we can see.

Hundreds of years ago in 1785 Dutch scientist Jan Ingenhousz was studying a strange phenomenon that he couldn’t quite make sense of. Minute particles of coal dust were darting about on the surface of some alcohol in his lab.
About 50 years later, in 1827, the Scottish botanist Robert Brown described something curiously similar. He had his microscope trained on some pollen grains. Brown noticed that some of the grains released tiny particles – which would then move away from the pollen grain in a random jittery dance.

At first, Brown wondered if the particles were really some sort of unknown organism. He repeated the experiment with other substances like rock dust, which he knew wasn’t alive, and saw the same strange motion again.
It would take almost another century for science to offer an explanation. Einstein came along and developed a mathematical formula that would predict this very particular type of movement – by then called Brownian motion, after Robert Brown. Einstein’s theory was that that the particles from the pollen grains were being moved around because they were constantly crashing into millions of tinier molecules of water – molecules that were made of atoms."

They're also a currency in Fallout 76 where you pay real money for in-game items. In either case, Todd Howard has the answer for you: It just works.
Bloody autocorrect “ Atmos” !!!!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So MS can't afford $15 per headset. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
778749.jpg

Soodanim

If you got an Atmos license for free with every Xbox headset it would be a lifetime license for something that exists across platforms including PC, so I can see why they wouldn’t include it.

The only way I could see it being included would be for Dolby to allow MS to include it in the hardware in a limited way, only allowing those headphones to benefit from it. Why that wasn’t that case is anyone’s guess.

Bernkastel

You really think MS is going to have to pay 15 a pop? Most likely they have a volume and wholesale discount. It would probably be $.50 to 2.00 a pop, or some other "partnership" deal. Shit ms could probably buy dolby with their so called "pocket change" and offer it for free as incentive. Companies never pay what they dish out to customers.
But now Dolby gets 15 USD to from everyone who purchases that license. Why would they sign a deal to only get $.50 to 2.00 from anyone who got the headset?

Wow. What an incredible thread!

From what i read, it feels like
  • 50% of the responses are telling the OP how shit their take is,
  • 30% is just the OP's gif game in response, with no real conversation/counterpoint and
  • 20% are console warriors trying to throw their lot in with the OP (because 'my plastic is best').
Disingenuous to start with and entertaining thereafter. Smells like GAF.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Not sure why some people are so upset by this, firstly all reviews agree that the new ms headset is already a crazy good value (what it offers for relatively low cost), most reviewers are saying that it is better than most of the competition (vs Sony pulse, and other headsets at this price point). dolby atmos support is nice but it is not requirement. I would be more concern with why other manufactures cannot match the value, quality and overall functionality of this new ms headset.

it is funny seeing some blue team warriors having fun with an optional license but are happy to pay extra for games due to Sony price hike.

Roxkis_ii

It makes since why Microsoft has its current business model. Their fans are so stupid, they can justify anything. Microtranscations in first party games, ads in your gui, hardware that requires AA batteries in 2021, now make customers pay for codecs.

You have to have some real cuck enegey to be a Microsoft fan.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
why would you pay for "dolby atmos" on a pair of headphones? it's fake. i could understand if you were playing on PC and had proper speakers hooked up.

let me tell you, having experienced true dolby atmos there is no way two small stereo speakers can come close to replicating that sound no matter how good the virtualisation is. when i get a pair of headphones that shake my entire room/windows and have neighbours shouting through the walls then i'll believe it.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

It makes since why Microsoft has its current business model.
What business model? Who else has the business model where they give Dolby Atmos for free on 100 USD headphones?
Their fans are so stupid, they can justify anything. Microtranscations in first party games, ads in your gui, hardware that requires AA batteries in 2021, now make customers pay for codecs.
All the three console manufacturers provide MTX on online games. Infact Forza Motorsport 7/Horizon 4 do not have MTX even though they are mostly online. Once again who actually give Dolby Atmos for free on 100 USD headphones.
What about fans who are always triggered over others and for not having the same opinion, and consider everyone around them a fanboy.

TheKratos

I'm sure you know why it's a bad analogy but I will elaborate anyways. The product MS is selling is headphones. One of the features that they advertise for use of the headphones is Dolby Atmos, which you requires you to make an additional purchase later.

Sony, on the other hand, the product they are selling is a game called demon's souls. Depending on which version you buy, it comes with a physical disc at no additional cost.

Better analogy would be pay extra 15 bux for the framerate mode lol.

It makes since why Microsoft has its current business model. Their fans are so stupid, they can justify anything. Microtranscations in first party games, ads in your gui, hardware that requires AA batteries in 2021, now make customers pay for codecs.

Your calling millions of people stupid for buying xbox?

Just because they have the option to buy atmos. People here have been banned for less.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Your calling millions of people stupid for buying xbox?

Just because they have the option to buy atmos. People here have been banned for less.

The fact that he wants a non user replaceable battery in a controller baffles me 😂

Kids these days.

If I had a choice in 2021, give me replaceable batteries in flagship laptops & phones. Bring back the glory days where options existed, not ultimatums.

Back on topic. I enjoy the $15 license myself, since it's not tied to that device, or even headphones. I hit 10 devices last year, and didn't realize I could actually remove one of the devices which was cool. Comes in handy w/ Atmos content on Netflix while traveling. I rarely use it for games.

Edit: welp, he didn't last long

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You guys think this is bad, you have to pay per CPU core for a windows server license now

You got a more powerful box as an investment? Better make sure you can pay the recurring fee for how many cores your CPU(s) have

EDIT: Not to mention gating how many VMs you can have with those licenses too, and having to get additional recurring licenses for the shit based on cores as well

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
You guys think this is bad, you have to pay per CPU core for a windows server license now

You got a more powerful box as an investment? Better make sure you can pay the recurring fee for how many cores your CPU(s) have

EDIT: Not to mention gating how many VMs you can have with those licenses too, and having to get additional recurring licenses for the shit based on cores as well
How many consumers are running Windows Server to play games and movies? if they are then they have made a conscious decision to pay core licensing for pretty much everything they install. This is what they signed up for.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is. Only you are not.
I'm fine, I'm not the one crying over a thread because my misguided feelings are hurt for my favorite brand, all while pretending there is some gamer persecution complex and only Xbox ever gets criticism on the internet or these very boards.

Last edited:

Fbh

Office equipment rental already gets charged per color or b&w impressions from companies like Xerox and Toshiba, and they check on and bill you remotely. Like reading an electrical meter.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets worse in the future though.

Like "oh your printer has our new lightningprint® technology with up to 2X the printing speed of the previous model! Each new printer comes with a 30 days trial but afterwards you'll need our lightningprint® plus subscription to continue enjoying the fastest printing on the market".
"We've also noticed you are getting close to the 1000 monthly pages print limit included in the free small business plan that came with your printer. You might want to consider upgrading to a medium business plan, it's only an additional $150 a month per printer with a monthly cap of up to 10.000 pages. Anyone who upgrades from a Small Business to a medium business plan is also eligible to get a 50% discount on their lightningprint® plus subscription for a whole year!"

DaGwaphics

Totally. These companies were not happy with how powerful the systems were getting, how many clients could be hosted on them, etc. This is the new way to keep the money flowing. An even worse practice is the new trend where some of the software vendors want a percentage of your profits for using software in a commercial setting. 🤪

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Fun fact: the PS3 had system settings for activating optional decoders. Consumers had the possibility to opt in, at no extra charge. Sony would pay the licensing fees, per activation.
I'm sitting next to a PS3 I used extensively for BR playback for years.. curious what you are even talking about here.

It supported the Dolby and DTS standards that were out for BR when it launched.. then added things like Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD MA in firmware updates.. you just installed firmware.. there was no menu option for onlocking decoders Sony paid for lol

Last edited:
How many consumers are running Windows Server to play games and movies? if they are then they have made a conscious decision to pay core licensing for pretty much everything they install. This is what they signed up for.
Exactly. I paid 1.79$ for my windows license. What home user is using Windows server?

Also so much bitching about general capitalism from a bunch of capitalists. What do you expect when you let the rich choose the economic system?

DaGwaphics

The fee comes from Dolby, not MS. But nice try trolling with complaining about Xbox Live from 2004.

The poor attempts at console warring in this thread are hilarious. It's crazy trying to spin this into a MS vs. Sony thing. I can see it if Sony was including an activation code for Atmos for headphones with their headset, there might be some ammunition there. But, SonyBros arguing against MS making the option available while providing a free proprietary solution and thinking that is scoring some points is insane.

The reality is these headsets aren't even competition for each other. The Xbox branded headset will become the best selling wireless headset available for Xbox, the Sony set will do the same for PS5. Hardcore audiophiles may choose better options, but most of the market is just buying the branded option for their device. Especially since both went with rock bottom prices for a wireless set.

Top Bottom