• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motherboard for Athlon XP 3200+ ???

robochimp

I went with the Chaintech Nforce4 ultra board. Its cheap has all the ultra features and some overclocking options.

That is assuming you go the PCI express route with your video card

pestul

For an Athlon XP 3200+.. an Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0 (SATA/RAID/Nforce2) is a good choice. I put one of those in for my XP2700+ (overclocked to shit) just so I could get USB 2.0 support over my old EPoX 8k3a.

jedimike

I have a Soyo KT880... great features, good price. However, I think you are going to have a hard time finding the motherboard you want.

jipe

robochimp said:
I went with the Chaintech Nforce4 ultra board. Its cheap has all the ultra features and some overclocking options.

That is assuming you go the PCI express route with your video card

Nforce4 is only for Athlon64 (socket 754 & 939), not Athlon XP (socket A). As far as I know there are no socket A motherboards available that supports PCI Express.

Anyway, I wouldn't invest too much in it, given that you'll have to dump the mainboard if you decide to upgrade to a faster CPU. Asrock makes excellent budget boards - try taking a look at K7S41.

ejdonk

pestul said:
For an Athlon XP 3200+.. an Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0 (SATA/RAID/Nforce2) is a good choice. I put one of those in for my XP2700+ (overclocked to shit) just so I could get USB 2.0 support over my old EPoX 8k3a.

Good choice indeed.

robochimp

jipe said:
Nforce4 is only for Athlon64 (socket 754 & 939), not Athlon XP (socket A). As far as I know there are no socket A motherboards available that supports PCI Express.

Anyway, I wouldn't invest too much in it, given that you'll have to dump the mainboard if you decide to upgrade to a faster CPU. Asrock makes excellent budget boards - try taking a look at K7S41.

oops, my brain just threw a 64 in there, since I had just purchased an Athlon 64 3200+

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Might as well ask here....

Mac Mini or HP Pavilion s7210n Slimline PC?

I've always been a PC owner, but I need a comp in the price range of those two.
Suggestions?

Top Bottom