• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most expensive video game ever: Rare copy of 'Super Mario 3' sold at auction for $156,000

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

SUPER-MARIO-3.jpeg

While the condition of the game is remarkable, what makes this copy even more singular is the layout of the packaging itself: Exceedingly rare are sealed copies with the word 'Bros.' formatted to the left, covering one of Mario's signature white gloves," the statement added. "Collectors have spent years looking for such a version — the earliest in the Super Mario Bros. 3 production history – and usually come up empty-handed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone know if some of these ebay bids on sealed nes games are legit ? Like this listing for example ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Simpso...-vs-The-space-mutants-sealed-nes/303776500105

These games were going for about about $100 to $200 sealed a few years back . Now their value has seemingly skyrocketed, but I can't tell if it's legit bids or not . Thoughts ?
I can say from experience that the price on retro games has been going through the ever-loving roof in the last year. Complete copies of these games (not sealed) go for about $200 each now, so yeah this auction with both sealed and in protectors is probably legit.

I can say from experience that the price on retro games has been going through the ever-loving roof in the last year. Complete copies of these games (not sealed) go for about $200 each now, so yeah this auction with both sealed and in protectors is probably legit.
Hmm, hope it's true. I have all 4 different nes Simpsons games sealed . Including the very hard to find Krustys Funhouse and hard to find Bart meets Radioactive Man. Reckon I could get about $5000 or $6000 if I sold them as one lot. May have to look into listing these bad boys...

Nothing like WATA and those damn comic book nerds turning vintage collecting into this garbage. There were always CIB or sealed collectors, but now there’s this comic book like market. What a waste of money.

jshackles

Hmm, hope it's true. I have all 4 different nes Simpsons games sealed . Including the very hard to find Krustys Funhouse and hard to find Bart meets Radioactive Man. Reckon I could get about $5000 or $6000 if I sold them as one lot. May have to look into listing these bad boys...
For what it's worth, I sold a bunch of stuff earlier this year that wasn't even close to that rare - and made enough money to put a down payment on a house.

Good luck!

GloveSlap

I used to have big collection of sealed NES and other retro games including a near mint Super Mario Bros 3 (and 2). I sold them like an idiot about 13 years or so back. I don't think I even want to go see if i can find a picture of my Super Bros 3 to see if the text was formatted like this copy.

Last edited:
I used to have big collection of sealed NES and other retro games including a near mint Super Mario Bros 3 (and 2). I sold them like an idiot about 13 years or so back. I don't think I even want to go see if i can find a picture of my Super Bros 3 to see if the text was formatted like this copy.

Yeah, old games really started to grow dramatically around 2013. However, the last two years have been crazy. COVID has really made sagging NES game values increase.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I certainly didn't have some amazing or rare collection (mostly Saturn and DC stuff, some uncommon PS1/N64 games) but I avoid looking at how much the games cost that I sold over the years. I know why I sold them and don't regret it, but yea, they've gone up in price. A lot.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I sold a bunch of stuff earlier this year that wasn't even close to that rare - and made enough money to put a down payment on a house.

Good luck!
Thanks ! I got into retro collecting in 2009 and went pretty hard at it till about 2018 . Prices were still fairly reasonable for a lot of stuff back then. Got most of what I wanted by then and was frankly running out of room to store it.
Using the profits to put towards a house was always in the back of my mind. Looks like values have finally come up on a lot of my stuff to maybe think about selling some. I dont have a sealed Mario 3 launch copy though haha.

UnNamed

Banned
WATA grading is a scam. They have a bad reputation among true collectors and retrogamers, especially when they gave high value to piece of software turned out to be fake.

WATA grading is a scam. They have a bad reputation among true collectors and retrogamers, especially when they gave high value to piece of software turned out to be fake.

I’d say their reputation is divided amongst the collecting community. It’s a joke that they are grading repros. People who buy need to understand what they’re buying though. A serious collector knows the difference. They are a big reason why the wolves from comic collecting have joined the hobby though. You see good products like GVN being bought by the joke that is GoCollect. They destroyed the usefulness of Nintendo Age. It’s now hard to go find the wealth of information that site had.

I’d say their reputation is divided amongst the collecting community. It’s a joke that they are grading repros. People who buy need to understand what they’re buying though. A serious collector knows the difference. They are a big reason why the wolves from comic collecting have joined the hobby though. You see good products like GVN being bought by the joke that is GoCollect. They destroyed the usefulness of Nintendo Age. It’s now hard to go find the wealth of information that site had.

NintendoAge shutting down as it was- huge blow to the knowledge base that was collected there over the years.

jaysius

Banned
The dumbest shit, people that are pretentious fucks about video games and put them on pedestals thinking they need to be recorded in history are hilarious.

Buying a thing that is MEANT to be played and never opening the box is pretty funny.

This isn't ART, it has no good other than PLAYING the game.

Top Bottom