• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Comfortable Controller

Hoddi

I'm thinking of trying the 8BitDo Pro 2 next.
I have this as my PC controller and it's excellent. I don't have very strong opinions about one controller being 'better' than another but it's been a fantastic all-rounder for me.

I recently finished Ori and the Blind Forest going back and forth between my PC and Xbox. I still like the Xbox controller a lot but the better Dpad on the Pro 2 actually helped me through some parts of it. I always thought it was just age that made me suck at platformers nowadays but the Dpad genuinely makes a difference.

YCoCg

If the Xbox Series controllers had the same Dpad as the Xbox One controller, it'd be perfect, but right now it's just too clicky.

jaysius

Banned
Dual Shock 4 was great comfort wise, the touchpad was in a decent place, the share button for me was mostly worthless so I really wish they had of allowed it to be assignable. The touchpad had 4 assignable areas, each corner but the top corners weren't very accurate which is why they weren't use as extra buttons. You could assign all the corners a function in games like Elite Dangerous.

The Dualsense is only the same weight as the Xbox Series controller but the weight in it is all wrong, it makes it feel forward heavy, which is uncomfortable it's probably all the junk in it. I like the L1/R1 buttons more than the Series L1/R1 buttons, but I like the Series LT/RT buttons more, we need some bastardized hybrid of the 2.

The Series is the best controller right now, I look forward to the new Elite, hopefully they'll announce it at the June announcement. I hope the Elite Series controller is made with better parts than the Series 2 controller, I also hope they get rid of the annoying clicking on the Dpad for the new Elite.

Ozzie666

I'm disappointed no Colecovision, Intelivision or Jaguar controller thus far. Got something against number pads?

For the record, the Elite v2 is something special.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
MgCKTzu.png

It’s lame that we only get one official size of controller for each system. There is massive difference in hand size between people and especially children.

Calverz

Xbox series controller is more or less perfect for me. Dual shock 4 surprised me though. If the analog sticks were asymmetrical it may have been most comfortable for me.

I am convinced this would have been comfortable though:
RhgXDEs.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I think I'll never stop thinking about the infamous PS3 "boomerang", I just can't fight the feeling that aside from the obviously awful look, this might have been the most comfortable controller ever created.

I disagree. Looks like you would be holding on to half of a steering wheel. And it looks as if your fingers would be reaching to get to the bumper and triggers rather than resting on them.

From my limited experience (I haven't used all of the controllers across the generations), I'd say

1. DualSense
  2. Sega Saturn japanese default pad
  3. Series S/X controller

Last edited:

tassletine

Competition Pro (original edition) and the Dualshock 2/3 -- For long periods anyway.

All the new controllers feel comfortable but get on my tits after a few hours. They're too ergonomic.

reezoo

My left hand is still saying that's not true to me.
It definitely will vary person to person due to size and hand's shape, my experience is based on sega genisis, snes, nes, ps1, ps2, ps3, switch & ps5. I have found dualsense to the most ergonomic (and unreliable due to trigger behaving differently after some time and drift!)

I am just curious why controllers dont come in different sizes. Just changing the size of the controller can have big impact.

geary

Guys, i'm looking to change my old Xbox 360 controller which i use it on PC whit a new one. But i cannot decide between Dualsense(PS5) or Elite (Series X/S). Do you have some pro and cons for using one or another on PC?

Xbox controllers have always been the most universally comfortable in my opinion. There's a reason why the Dualsense was designed to be more like the Xbox controllers. Though I do have 2 complaints: the D-pad and asymmetrical sticks. If we could have a fusion of Xbox size, comfort and trigger buttons as well as Dualsense D-pad and sticks, that would be amazing.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Current gen I think it might be Switch Pro. Feels like an evolution of the Dualshock 3, which is one of my GOATs. Slightly larger, feels great in hand, better rumble and asymmetrical sticks but retaining the digital triggers. It’s light but not too light. Just feels amazing and premium in hand.

The Dualsense and Elite v2 are also lovely pads.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Depends on hand size, the way you grip it, left handed /right handed. Too many variables to declare one a winner.

I will say though, i always thought the DS4 was better than the series x controller - until yesterday when i tried the DS4 i had laying around. After 10 month's of using the series x controller, it felt pretty bad, esp the thumbsticks being on the same level. It made it harder to press certain buttons.

I still dislike the D pad and the clickiness on the series x though, its too noisy. DS4 wins there.

Tams

Gold Member
Guys, i'm looking to change my old Xbox 360 controller which i use it on PC whit a new one. But i cannot decide between Dualsense(PS5) or Elite (Series X/S). Do you have some pro and cons for using one or another on PC?
If you like the Xbox 360 controller, then either get another one or any other Xbox one. Bear in mind they still haven't gotten the Dpad right though. The new 8BitDo XBox Ultimate Wired Controller may be a better choice if the Dpad matters to you.

I'd say the Switch Pro controller is a better version of the Xbox 360 and onward design. No analogue triggers though. It does have a gyroscope though, that you can get working a PC.

The DualSense design is Marmite; love it or hate it. It does have the most features though like the touchpad, and even the adaptive triggers work in some PC games. It's heavy. If you like the sticks at the bottom, then the 8BitDo Pro 2 Controller is great. It has two back buttons and a gyro, though the triggers aren't 'adaptive', just analogue. There's the Wii U Pro Controller too, which I think is incredibly comfortable, but again digital triggers and you need an adapter.

For comfort the Gamecube controller with my big ass hands.

From a functionality pov with 3D videogames I still feel like that controller doesn’t exist yet especially with comfort; To solve the functionally problem I’m still clawing to cook people on console in multiplayer videogames.

The Saturn controller was fire too, a lot of Mortal Kombat back then with my folks; The Dreamcast controller looked OD retarded but idk why it just felt good to play fighters on it as well back then.

PlayStation controllers are great for fighters and d-pad games in general.
Xbox controllers are great to use analog, bad bad bad d-pad.
Nintendo Controllers sux, but the scam after console released, the "pro controllers" are great.

So, for me the most comfortable is the xbox one controller, but need to have better d-pad. Every hardcore fighting game player knows that im not lying...

Thank god i have an arcade stick and a converter to play d-pad games on 360 and one.

Last edited:

MikeM

1. Dualsense for me. Thing is the most comfortable and most innovative controller made this far. I buy games mainly PS now because of it.

2. Xbox One controller. The Series X one is too small for me and gives me hand pain. This one was literally the perfect controller (for me) up until the Dualsense.

Tams

Gold Member
PlayStation controllers are great for fighters and d-pad games in general.
Xbox controllers are great to use analog, bad bad bad d-pad.
Nintendo Controllers sux, but the scam after console released, the "pro controllers" are great.

So, for me the most comfortable is the xbox one controller, but need to have better d-pad. Every hardcore fighting game player knows that im not lying...

Thank god i have an arcade stick and a converter to play d-pad games on 360 and one.
Saying that the Wii U Pro Controller or Switch Pro Controller 'sux' is just objectively wrong.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
360 controller is the most comfortable, but the dpad is such a piece of shit its hard to believe they didn't set out to design the worst dpad possible as a joke and it somehow went in to production.

Three

#1 - It felt a little awkward at first, but once I got used to it over my old Sega Genesis controller (specially designed or fighting games) felt very comfortable:

obyYL.jpg

#2 - Nintendo NES joystick (not the pad) so many years of beating on it and playin games.
oh how I miss the NES advantage:

joy013.jpg
That looks like some sort of hip replacement

Rykan

I use a lot of controllers on PC. Here is my take on the pros and cons of each controller when using them on PC.

XSX controller:
Pros:
- Better compatibility. Works flawlessly with Steam games and Gamepass games. It will also have native support for older games that came out pre - dual sense. Nearly every game that has had a console release alongside a PC release has full Xbox controller support. While native support for Dual sense has increased, it's nowhere near Xbox controllers.
- Super easy to use it on Xcloud if that's your thing.

Cons:
- Does not come with a battery pack included. You can still use it wired, but you have to get a battery pack if you want to use it wirelessly.
- Buttons are kind of loud, but you're probably used to that if you use an Xbox 360 controller.

PS5 Dual sense controller

Pros:
- Dual sense haptics are really cool.
- Battery is build in, so you don't have to buy a separate battery pack

Cons:
- Haptics aren't supported in every game
- Compatibility is constantly improving and getting better, but it's not up to Xbox's level yet.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every new controller has shown us new things and have had honeymoon periods thank god for Sony for being loyal to their past and heritage.

Forsete

Dualsense IMO.

I have a old wired Xbox controller (360) for my PC which I have always liked. But, now when I used it to play some Forza Horizon 5 (damn that game is annoying tbh) the analogue sticks feel really horrible compared to the ones on the DS.

BlackTron

I was trying out different controllers on my Switch and decided to try a DualSense. I'd tried one in a store beforehand and it felt really good. So upon getting one I played about an hour and my hands ended up cramping and getting sore really badly. Perhaps it was the controls of the game I was mainly playing, Splatoon, but going back to the Switch Pro Controller felt like immediate heaven.

I'm thinking of trying the 8BitDo Pro 2 next.

So with that said, what's are the most comfortable controllers for you (I'm not making a poll as I'm too lazy)?

Mine's:
  1. Switch Pro Controller
  2. Xbox One Controller
  3. Xbox 360 Controller
  4. R.A.T. MMO 7 and Roccat Tyon
  5. Wii U GamePad
I honestly didn't think I was an offset joystick fan, and just holding a controller offset doesn't feel right to me, but apparently I am.

The lower placed sticks always cramp my hands after a while and have been my #1 issue with the Playstation brand for 20 years.

Generally Nintendo is god-tier for ergonomics, top honors going to Switch Pro and Gamecube, but SNES and even N64 was good for what it was.

Xbox 360 is still my fav non-Nintendo controller. The variety of Xbox controllers that came before and after it all pretty much OK or pretty close but can't beat 360.

Disagree about the Wii U Gamepad. I know some people love it, but it's an ergonomic nightmare for me. My first time playing through BOTW on Wii U, I kept switching between the Pro pad and Gamepad for motion control when I needed it (like the water boss) because I COULD NOT hold that thing for hours like that. The biggest buff to the Switch version was motion control in a normal controller.

Tams

Gold Member
The lower placed sticks always cramp my hands after a while and have been my #1 issue with the Playstation brand for 20 years.

Generally Nintendo is god-tier for ergonomics, top honors going to Switch Pro and Gamecube, but SNES and even N64 was good for what it was.

Xbox 360 is still my fav non-Nintendo controller. The variety of Xbox controllers that came before and after it all pretty much OK or pretty close but can't beat 360.

Disagree about the Wii U Gamepad. I know some people love it, but it's an ergonomic nightmare for me. My first time playing through BOTW on Wii U, I kept switching between the Pro pad and Gamepad for motion control when I needed it (like the water boss) because I COULD NOT hold that thing for hours like that. The biggest buff to the Switch version was motion control in a normal controller.
I didn't play BOTW on Wii U, but I did Splatoon. A lot. With the heavier larger battery too. The only issues I had were my other things and my neighbours when I was on a losing streak. That thing makes a pretty loud thud when it hits things.

ZoukGalaxy

DualShock 4 is perfect.
As well as XBOX 360 and DualSense.

I tried to love the Xbox One, but it's too big and it really hurts my hands after some time. I hate it nowadays.

Top Bottom