• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition - Out Now for PS5, XSX + XSS

regawdless

Banned

- 4k resolution
- Improved textures
- 60 fps on PS5 and XSX
- 30 fps on XSS
- Free upgrade for last gen owners

Out now.

A raytracing patch for PC was announced for November last year on an Nvidia event. Still no sign of it and no info from the devs.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Loving the free upgrades but I was a little surprised I had to claim it in the store. Will probably give it another playthrough. The Seat of Infinity area looked messed up without HDR, so I'm hoping that got resolved.

Definitely check this game out if you are a fan of dark fantasy, action games with weighty combat or the souls franchise.

jaysius

Banned
I'm surprised this didn't go on deep sale to help drum up some attention for this "new" edition.

Make a patch that optimizes the game, call it an "enhanced edition" get attention... I can see how this can be abused.

I am seeing a lot of positive impressions from XsX and PS5 owners regarding the visual upgrades here, some people saying it looks incredible.

One guy even said he thinks it looks nearly as good as Demon's Souls Remake. Same YouTuber also said he noticed framerate dips on his PS5, but obviously we will need some professional analysis to know for sure.

Anyone on here played the enhanced edition yet?

skit_data

How is the game, I've heard conflicting things

/\This. How is this game?
Id say its easily worth buying on sale, if youre into the Souls-series. I bought it at full price when it launched and havent had any regrets.

It has some cool mechanics, mainly hardening, that is quite innovative and fun when one starts to understand how to use them. But it lacks the depth and build variety of the Souls-series, altough it somewhat makes up for it by making the different shells having unique abilities that you unlock.

Im extremely impressed that such a small dev team being able to create this. Its quite short so dont expect a full 100+ hours of gameplay that the Souls-series can deliver. I really would like to see this studio develop something with a larger budget, because its very good considering that only 4 people managed to put this together.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Trogdor1123 Trogdor1123 Hayabusabruh Hayabusabruh I enjoyed this game a lot but it's probably about a third the size of a standard souls game. Definitely worth it for the price if you like the genre.

The main mechanic let's you inhabit several different "shells"that each have slightly different aspects to level up and abilities/perks. You can also mix and match the 4 shells with a 4 different melee weapons. There is also a shell-less option that introduces even more difficulty. There are (surprise) 4 main areas to explore as well. There are definitely a few hidden surprises to discover, but again it's paired down relative to its cost.

Graphics are pretty good throughout and it was a mostly bug free affair when I played though on the ps4.

I would support these devs again in their next effort based on the quality and support of this title.

kingpotato

Google is telling me it is about a 12-15 hour campaign, and that you need 2 playthroughs for the Plat. Not sure if that's entirely accurate but that seems worth it for 30 bucks on PSN right now.
If you are into trophies and want to minimize playthroughs, make sure to use a guide because certain world events can make some collectibles unreachable until you start another playthrough. Also make sure you're a masochist because one of the trophies is basically a no hit playthroughs

If you are into trophies and want to minimize playthroughs, make sure to use a guide because certain world events can make some collectibles unreachable until you start another playthrough. Also make sure you're a masochist because one of the trophies is basically a no hit playthroughs

Can you still use harden without a shell? Or for that run do you just have to dodge every attack?

skit_data

Google is telling me it is about a 12-15 hour campaign, and that you need 2 playthroughs for the Plat. Not sure if that's entirely accurate but that seems worth it for 30 bucks on PSN right now.
That seems pretty accurate, I played through in two sittings with a friend. The second playthough will probably be a lot faster than the first when one has a good sense of the map layout. There are a lot of games that costs $30 that arent anywhere near the quality of Mortal Shell. I think the price is good considering its quality.

kingpotato

Yea, this game rivals DS in every way graphically. It's using the UE4 tech. Very frustrating to play though.

Short is good. Just watched a video of a dude saying the enhanced version is on par with DS Remake on ps5. This is probably the wrong place to say that though. Lol
The game definitely has some great effects and if it runs 4k native 60fps rock solid that would be a definite edge on Demon's Souls PS5. The design of the characters, environment and enemies is awesome as well. I would say graphically the only place it doesn't quite match up would be the amount of visual content (fewer everything and no facial animations), but still really great overall.

skit_data

Short is good. Just watched a video of a dude saying the enhanced version is on par with DS Remake on ps5. This is probably the wrong place to say that though. Lol
It doesnt come close to the graphical showcase that is Demons Souls imo, but it does look better than DS1-3 in many ways, albeit lacking in the design aspects. They dont have anything on From Software when it comes to enviorment and enemy design.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It doesnt come close to the graphical showcase that is Demons Souls imo, but it does look better than DS1-3 in many ways, albeit lacking in the design aspects. They dont have anything on From Software when it comes to enviorment and enemy design.
Idk...it looked good enough for people to think it was Elden Ring.

DavidGzz

Seriously MS, get rid of the SS and make a discless SX instead.

I think both is smart. A tiny SS that can be $199, a $299 digital, and $399 regular XSX by holiday 2022. Kids don't care about 60 fps as much as we do. Look at Nintendo Switch sales...

Ive been day one with this since it hit pc and i loved the game. Its a cool game that obviously bothers alot of stuff out of 'From titles..Hopefully if they get a cool sequel together theyll do more to separate it from the pack a bit better.

Rea

This game looks similar art style when compared with Demon's Souls PS5. It looks like texture resolution for both games looks similar but the tessellation and amounts of polygon are way more superior in Demon souls. The most obvious difference is in lighting, Demon's Souls has Dynamic GI combined with fixed light probes all over the scenes, and many objects cast own soft shadows on every surfaces. The engine used in Demon's souls is much more superior.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Meh. Yes, it does. But opinions and all..

VFXVeteran

Banned
This game looks similar art style when compared with Demon's Souls PS5. It looks like texture resolution for both games looks similar but the tessellation and amounts of polygon are way more superior in Demon souls. The most obvious difference is in lighting, Demon's Souls has Dynamic GI combined with fixed light probes all over the scenes, and many objects cast own soft shadows on every surfaces. The engine used in Demon's souls is much more superior.
DS does not have dynamic GI. Everything is baked lighting. Dynamic GI is only seen on games with dynamic TOD.

Rea

DS does not have dynamic GI. Everything is baked lighting. Dynamic GI is only seen on games with dynamic TOD.

Timestamp.
I don't know much about the lighting techniques but from my understanding of what they are talking about is that " demon souls uses real time global illumination, which uses fixed light probes and lighting and shadows are updated real time depending on camera angle.

regawdless

Banned
I own it since last November for PC. Still waiting for the raytracing patch. But I'm kinda losing hope as there's no info whatsoever. Tweeted at the devs and Nvidia, without any response.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yea, this game rivals DS in every way graphically. It's using the UE4 tech. Very frustrating to play though.
It's not frustrating, you just have to re-adjust yourself to the hardening mechanic instead of the usual shield block.

Do you have any difficulty hardening yourself?!

Where's the performance comparison?

lee daniels blood GIF by Empire FOX

GymWolf

/\This. How is this game?
For what i understand from the demo\feedbacks, it's good but short, only 4-5 weapons and no armours to collect like in souls game, but you can find 4 different upgradable shells.

Not a fan of the health\objects system tho.

20-30 euros is the right price for this one imo.

I want to see what they can do with a fairly bigger budget, graphically is already far better than ds3 or sekiro and almost on the level of ds remake, at least on pc.

Last edited:

Troozi

I really enjoyed this game on the PS4, it was one of my last platinum's before the PS5 came out, the games a bit short, but I had fun with it.

The new upgrades look pretty nice, but not sure I can be bothered to play it again. Hopefully this will tempt people who didn't play it originally to give it a go. I'm glad I played it

Rippa

Awesome!!

I stopped playing it on PS4 due to the save glitch. I was about 3 bosses in. So you can imagine my frustration.

About to get my free enhanced upgrade.

Inviusx

No interest in the game but mad props to any developers getting these next gen patches out to fans.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Timestamp.
I don't know much about the lighting techniques but from my understanding of what they are talking about is that " demon souls uses real time global illumination, which uses fixed light probes and lighting and shadows are updated real time depending on camera angle.

That is the most weird way of dynamic GI I have ever heard of. Essentially the probes are out in space and are only computed when the person looks in some way. I guess they are using it for light bounces from their torches.

I stand corrected. I would have never thought of such a way to use GI as the more robust system will update based on the Sun's movement, night time environment lighting, as well as nearby light sources. I don't know why they wouldn't just bake it out like most games do.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Pretty good game. Some good build variety and the harden ability is cool. Hammer and Chisel with the rogue/thief shell was my favorite combo. I beat it 3 times, and might go through it again in a year or two.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
That is the most weird way of dynamic GI I have ever heard of. Essentially the probes are out in space and are only computed when the person looks in some way. I guess they are using it for light bounces from their torches.

I stand corrected. I would have never thought of such a way to use GI as the more robust system will update based on the Sun's movement, night time environment lighting, as well as nearby light sources. I don't know why they wouldn't just bake it out like most games do.

Glad to know that you're smarter than the 🐐 Remake Team in the industry, they probably don't know what they're doing.

Can't wait for Ps6 keynote, hopefully to see you there 💪🏻

Rea

I find it weird too, maybe that's the brand new technique only they (blue point) came up with? i heard them saying that they will talk about it more in the future, probably during GDC. Right now is just a brief explanation of their technique.

Top Bottom