• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat XL (free update, QLOC) and KP2 (paid DLC) coming to Steam October 4th

this game went through a number of patches and while it was a complete gongshow at launch, but it's been fixed up pretty good. runs at 4k/60 for me and looks great. i dont play online so can't comment on that part

looking forward to getting to play as alien when the update hits

Dinjoralo

I'd like to invite everyone on a little hypothetical journey. Way back when KP2 was announced, people asked about it coming to PC. All NRS/WB said was that it was coming to XB1 and PS4. The PC version wasnt acknowledged. They didn't even use the word 'only', they were talking as if the PC version didn't exist. People assume the worst, and WB/NRS do nothing to stop peoples opinion from spiraling down.

But, imagine if they just said that the PC version would have to wait on KP2 and XL, because they were gonna come with a patch that would fix the game. That would change EVERYTHING. People would still be upset at MKX releasing broken as hell, but nobody would ever claim the PC version was "abandoned". It could even have been called a step in the right direction for WB on PC.

... Then again, that would require them hiring qloc to fix the port being their plan from the start. Not that, say, they were intending to abandon the PC version, and only changed course after all the backlash. Still, communication is important. They could have easily avoided a lot of the hate they're getting by not leaving people high and dry. I'm still gonna say WB should go fuck themselves.

I'd like to invite everyone on a little hypothetical journey. Way back when KP2 was announced, people asked about it coming to PC. All NRS/WB said was that it was coming to XB1 and PS4. The PC version wasnt acknowledged. They didn't even use the word 'only', they were talking as if the PC version didn't exist. People assume the worst, and WB/NRS do nothing to stop peoples opinion from spiraling down.

But, imagine if they just said that the PC version would have to wait on KP2 and XL, because they were gonna come with a patch that would fix the game. That would change EVERYTHING. People would still be upset at MKX releasing broken as hell, but nobody would ever claim the PC version was "abandoned". It could even have been called a step in the right direction for WB on PC.

... Then again, that would require them hiring qloc to fix the port being their plan from the start. Not that, say, they were intending to abandon the PC version, and only changed course after all the backlash. Still, communication is important. They could have easily avoided a lot of the hate they're getting by not leaving people high and dry. I'm still gonna say WB should go fuck themselves.

I have to agree on your point about communication because I feel like their lack of transparency is really what hurts the game in the long wrong. I'm tired of the cryptic Twitter messages from Boon. When it comes to the actual product, I would like them to be more open with the fanbase because as of right now, we don't even know for sure if the game is going to continue to be supported. People think they're just going to move on to IJ2 and thus are dropping the game. It SEEMS like we're going to be getting a balance patch and possibly KP3 but no one really knows. It grows tiresome and saps whatever hype I had and deters me from getting better at the game.

All the secrecy was fun before release, but now it feels like we're just being toyed with. It's not fun, it's just annoying.

Khezu

They hired QLOC to fix the port late last year, before KP2 was announced for consoles.
And they did a pretty good job.

I think NRS/WB straight up didn't know if they were going to come back to the PC release or not, so they declined to say anything.
QLOC was probably busying and the timing for KP2 console/PC development didn't align, so it couldn't be done at the same time, and they had to wait for QLOC to have an opening.

That said, once NRS and QLOC started active work on KP2 for PC, they should have said something way sooner.
This was like 3/4 months ago.

jett

D-Member
Good for them for not abandoning or screwing over PC gamers, even took the extra mile of hiring someone else to fix the game. It took a while, though. :p

BigEmil

, giving players access to all of the latest balance updates as well as the enhanced online experience, that was available in the recent beta test for the game.

This was the issue with the original PC version.

XL stuff also cost money for the consoles too.
XL on console includes all that plus all Kombat Pack dlcs which this doesn't seem to have included for PC

pHand

I was hoping that the Premium Edition would be phased out and replaced with XL, so that everyone with it would automatically get upgraded.

I was hoping that the Premium Edition would be phased out and replaced with XL, so that everyone with it would automatically get upgraded.

But isn't everyone getting the netcode/patch update/the Pit for free? Just seems like you gotta pay for the DLC characters like they did on the consoles.

The Light

Guess WB will be going all in with QLOC from now on. With their busy schedule I hope if there is ndeed a KP3 that they will be able to do it in a timely manner.
Same goes for Injustice 2.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
QLOC is awesome, but I will never support WB ever again on PC. I'll just buy other titles QLOC worked on. =P

Damn sure not buying any Kombat Packs or shit for MKX on PC (which I did purchase =/).

VariantX

XL on console includes all that plus all Kombat Pack dlcs which this doesn't seem to have included for PC

XL on console is an entirely different purchase to begin with as it also came with extra free costumes to further incentivize people to buy XL instead of getting base MKX on the cheap. MKX on console got all the system and online upgrades same as MKX on pc will.

Soodanim

This seems great for everyone that likes MKX, but based on the roster change and the time I wasted watching the story mode on YouTube, I'm still passing on this. It's weird, I followed MK for years and aside from 4 I have owned every mainline iteration of the game. I even bought DLC for 9. Now I'm passing on X(L) and I couldn't care less that it exists.

This seems great for everyone that likes MKX, but based on the roster change and the time I wasted watching the story mode on YouTube, I'm still passing on this. It's weird, I followed MK for years and aside from 4 I have owned every mainline iteration of the game. I even bought DLC for 9. Now I'm passing on X(L) and I couldn't care less that it exists.

That's a shame really. MKX is my favorite Mortal Kombat next to UMK3. MK9 didn't grab me at all. Hopefully you'll play it one day.

After all that they want you to pay for the characters fuck that. Thanks for abandoning the PC players WB. Game is already dead.

Smart move pre-Injustice 2 launch.

I'm impressed, though it took time, Netherrealm really stepped it up with the console version, completely re-writing the netcode to a point where it's one of the better ones on the market...and now, this. While there's obviously the business end of it, wanting to convince potential I2 players that the PC version will function/get support, I also think the company just really is convincing their publisher that with huge sales, a portion of that being re-invested back into improving the game for diehards/competitive players is valuable.

Speaking of which..guessing this means a final (?) balance patch for MKXL launching before or on October 4th?

Soodanim

That's a shame really. MKX is my favorite Mortal Kombat next to UMK3. MK9 didn't grab me at all. Hopefully you'll play it one day.

I think the biggest thing is that they rebooted, fleshed out characters more than ever, then killed a bunch of them off in favour of the kids that don't strike me as interesting at all. They seem like inferior versions of the originals from what I've seen.

Or maybe it's just because I can't play as Smoke.

kuYuri

Glad to hear QLOC is handling it. They must've turned a lot of heads after Dragon's Dogma PC release. That was quite the achievement, and I was always surprised they they didn't get more work from other publishers.

QLOC has always been pretty great, they worked on PC ports as far back as SSFIV: Arcade Edition and Street Fighter x Tekken.

El Sabroso

Early adopter syndrome, no different then people who bought MKX on console when they released MKXL

which is I am glad I have my policy of not buying anything from WB until is 10 USD or less, glad to skip this game b/c of it

Yeah, the upgrade being free is a forced upgrade for everyone, so it's not like they had to pay to opt in.

I'm not fond of the "give me something free for my inconvenience" sentiment, but if I were in their shoes, I certainly would have pushed for it internally IF there is a KP3 coming.

yeah me neither, but for all the BS they got for this game is the minimum, a friend got the steam version even when I told him not to get it and it had all the problems so he then bought a PS4 with the game, which I believe he didn't touched since a month after release, I'm glad he listened when I told him to get KOF14 since he got only SFV after MKX

By September 2015 QLOC already fixed the original X release.

Back then there was no improved netcode or KP2, that was announced late 2015 and released early 2016 on consoles.

Technically PC has only been missing that...for 6 months. Which is a bit on par with the previous release, that was released later and without improvements. :p

The beta for this demonstrates otherwise. Basic engine performance is far, far better in XL. It actually behaves like a well-optimized PC port now. A year ago it was better than the disastrous launch version but it still wasn't even close to this quality level. XL beta is what the PC game should have been like at launch, even ignoring the netcode entirely (because like you say, it was trash on all platforms at release).

This is the fix we deserved, not the halfway effort we got last year.

EDIT:
I'm still mad about the launch for this game (obviously), but I should say that I do appreciate WB has committed to getting the product up to snuff. It's a good start. I don't want to come across as too negative. I'm completely willing to be won back over by WB.

Top Bottom