• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X is now the best selling real fighting game of all time (~11 million sold, ~46+ million franchise)

Do you think Mortal Kombat X deserves it's sales?

• Total voters

CatCouch

You are not a fan of violence, in a fighting game? You know they are called "fighting" games for a reason. I could understand if you stated that you were not a fan of gore, but being a fan of fighting games and not the violence within them seems like some strange cognitive dissonance that I cannot wrap my head around.
I do mean the gore, I guess I weirdly worded it. Mortal Kombat is known for it's hyper violence but it doesn't really draw me in like Japanese fighters can.

I don't think I would have put much thought into it if it wasn't for how often people attack Japanese fighters for having sexy women but see no issues with the gore and violence levels in Mortal Kombat. That's the kind of thing I can't wrap my head around, lol~

petran79

Banned
I do mean the gore, I guess I weirdly worded it. Mortal Kombat is known for it's hyper violence but it doesn't really draw me in like Japanese fighters can.

I don't think I would have put much thought into it if it wasn't for how often people attack Japanese fighters for having sexy women but see no issues with the gore and violence levels in Mortal Kombat. That's the kind of thing I can't wrap my head around, lol~

People have issues with both MK and Japanese games, but you know game journalists bias

AuraFeliz

Neo Member
RiP Fighting games because it is a average to bad fighting game.

BTW inaccurate like usual... there are others fighting games that sold more... MK X is TOP5 best-selling thought.

From a business perspective not really because its sold more than the previous ones because there are more people buying videogames now. It's gotten a lot more mainstream since the 90s, so of course more copies are sold of the rebooted series (including X) than the original. Because old fans want more MK still, and theres a mass of new fans being created basically constantly every single successive year.

It won't always be like this though because at some point people start dropping off and spending money elsewhere.

VertigoOA

Banned
If you are a fan of racing games like pgr, ridge racer, forza... most likely mario kart doesn’t satisfy a goddamn thing about your arcade racing tastes.

If you’re a fan of fighters like street fighter, tekken, soul caliber.... smash bros doesn’t cater to a goddamn thing either.

Both Mario Kart an Smash are unlike anything in their genre. They blur the lines and are often not directly comparable to more hardcore games in those genres.

So ... smash is not a real fighter. Correct

Last edited:
For some reason people believe Smash is the only game that isn't a traditional fighting game. As that's the only reason why anyone would have the problem with the title. It's not just smash. I'm also not the only one separating things.

Also Mk didn't have mass bundling with its sales. Very impressive.

As for the above post Kart Racers and Arcade racers were separated almost from the start. It's just kart racing is dead except Mario kart because Mkart is used to bridge software gaps and usually is heavily bundled. Arcade Racers still have an audience, although Japanese arcade racers are struggling right now.

Of course when you put out a 4 track game and require $50 dlc for the other 12 tracks I can see why.

lock2k

Banned
I'm a HUGE MK Fan and I own every single entry of it. Still on the fence with 11 though.

But we have to take one thing into account. Install base. We have more people playing consoles now so numbers by themselves don't mean much.

I mean... Tekken 3 sold 8 million on PS1 alone. PS1 sold 102.49 million units according to wikipedia. The install base of PC, Xbox 1 and PS4 is bigger than that.

So if you have a bigger install base and 11 million units of MKX sold, while it is impressive, it's not as impressive as Tekken 3 selling 8 million in only one console with a smaller install base.

It's like comparing Avatar numbers with Gone with the Wind numbers without taking into account the bigger audience.

zenspider

If you are a fan of racing games like pgr, ridge racer, forza... most likely mario kart doesn’t satisfy a goddamn thing about your arcade racing tastes.

If you’re a fan of fighters like street fighter, tekken, soul caliber.... smash bros doesn’t cater to a goddamn thing either.

Both Mario Kart an Smash are unlike anything in their genre. They blur the lines and are often not directly comparable to more hardcore games in those genres.

So ... smash is not a real fighter. Correct

Smash has a neutral game, footsies, "oki", mixups, combos, confirms, mad layers of "yomi", and oodles of tech.

It's a real fighter.

ethomaz

Banned
For some reason people I believe Smash is the only game that isn't a traditional fighting game. As that's the only reason why anyone would have the problem with the title. It's not just smash. I'm also not the only one separating things.

Also Mk didn't have mass bundling with its sales. Very impressive.

As for the above post Kart Racers and Arcade racers were separated almost from the start. It's just kart racing is dead except Mario kart because Mkart is used to bridge software gaps and usually is heavily bundled. Arcade Racers still have an audience, although Japanese arcade racers are struggling right now.

Of course when you put out a 4 track game and require $50 dlc for the other 12 tracks I can see why.
Fixed for ya.

Last edited:
Smash has a neutral game, footsies, "oki", mixups, combos, confirms, mad layers of "yomi", and oodles of tech.

It's a real fighter.

If that's your criteria a bunch of action games suddenly become fighters as well.

Even the damn maker of smash said it wasn't intended to be a fighting game in the vein of Mk or SF. Hell, part of melees "fighting system" was exploits and glitches which if they weren't there would have likely never became semi-competitive.

I'm a HUGE MK Fan and I own every single entry of it. Still on the fence with 11 though.

But we have to take one thing into account. Install base. We have more people playing consoles now so numbers by themselves don't mean much.

I mean... Tekken 3 sold 8 million on PS1 alone. PS1 sold 102.49 million units according to wikipedia. The install base of PC, Xbox 1 and PS4 is bigger than that.

So if you have a bigger install base and 11 million units of MKX sold, while it is impressive, it's not as impressive as Tekken 3 selling 8 million in only one console with a smaller install base.

It's like comparing Avatar numbers with Gone with the Wind numbers without taking into account the bigger audience.

Tekkrn 3 had a good quantity of bundles.

Also it's not more impressive, Tekkrn 3 released at the PSx point of peaking and there was no other competing system that had comparable fighting game output or sales. It was already king of fighting games on the PSx before 3 came out.

During the PS2 generation which included Xbox, not one traditional fighting game broke 5 million copies, and that had a much bigger installbase.

Last gen was the biggest we ever had, not one traditional fighter came close to Tekken 3.

Now we have MKX for this generation, selling around 11 million, double digits. a first for traditional fighting game, blowing all the competition out of the water with a big gap, selling the first 5 million not long after launch, no bundling. Banned from numerous countries, rated M, and you think thats NOT impressive???

Lol sure.

lock2k

Banned
Tekkrn 3 had a good quantity of bundles.

Also it's not more impressive, Tekkrn 3 released at the PSx point of peaking and there was no other competing system that had comparable fighting game output or sales. It was already king of fighting games on the PSx before 3 came out.

During the PS2 generation which included Xbox, not one traditional fighting game broke 5 million copies, and that had a much bigger installbase.

Last gen was the biggest we ever had, not one traditional fighter came close to Tekken 3.

Now we have MKX for this generation, selling around 11 million, double digits. a first for traditional fighting game, blowing all the competition out of the water with a big gap, selling the first 5 million not long after launch, no bundling. Banned from numerous countries, rated M, and you think thats NOT impressive???

Lol sure.

It is impressive, of course, but the install base is way bigger, that's what I said... doesn't it help that the gaming audience is way bigger than it was back then? Of course it does. It IS impressive and I wish the best for MK because my favorite genre is fighting games.

zenspider

If that's your criteria a bunch of action games suddenly become fighters as well.

Even the damn maker of smash said it wasn't intended to be a fighting game in the vein of Mk or SF. Hell, part of melees "fighting system" was exploits and glitches which if they weren't there would have likely never became semi-competitive.

Well, if you can play an action game against someone else it's a fighting game. Criteria met.

As far as "glitches and exploits", that was how combos became a thing in Street Fighter II, before they became "features" in later versions.

Also, Sakurai can say whatever he wants, his tips and patch notes say otherwise. Smash is balanced for competiton.

It is impressive, of course, but the install base is way bigger, that's what I said... doesn't it help that the gaming audience is way bigger than it was back then? Of course it does. It IS impressive and I wish the best for MK because my favorite genre is fighting games.

Way bigger than what? It's not bigger than last gen, and is still slightly behind the gen before. What install bases are you comparing? Also don't forget you're talking about a rated M game that isn't even sold in some countries.

lock2k

Banned
Way bigger than what? It's not bigger than last gen, and is still slightly behind the gen before. What install bases are you comparing? Also don't forget you're talking about a rated M game that isn't even sold in some countries.

Tekken 3 was only on PS1 and MKX is on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Those 2 consoles + PC have a WAY BIGGER INSTALL BASE than the PS1.

Tekken 3 was only on PC and arcades for godsakes. It is absolutely impressive considering the install base was smaller and it sold 8 million in one console. Even more impressive since I knew a fuckload of people who played Tekken 3 in pirated copies back in the day. I bet it would surpass 10 million if pirated copies were counted.

Also, consider that Tekken 3 was launched in 1997 and PS1 was nowhere near the 100 million+ units it sold. Which makes Tekken 3 sales even more impressive.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It proves that the hardcore proplayers are just a tiny fraction of the market. People like Namco or specially Capcom should learn how important is the single player content because the people who plays online is just a small fraction of the market.

It's Mortal Kombat.

A Mortal Kombat fighting game will sell millions based on the name alone.

Offline content will help, but that doesn't mean it's going to generation a lot of sales. I'm sure Tekken X Street Fighter will have a bit more offline content compared to Tekken 7, but I can see it selling better simply because it's a crossover between Street Fighter and Tekken characters.

Tekken 7 was critized heavily early on, but things changed when they introduced Fated Retribution which included Akuma. That's what really helped them boost sales compared to Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Tekken 3 was only on PS1 and MKX is on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Those 2 consoles + PC have a WAY BIGGER INSTALL BASE than the PS1.

Tekken 3 was only on PC and arcades for godsakes. It is absolutely impressive considering the install base was smaller and it sold 8 million in one console. Even more impressive since I knew a fuckload of people who played Tekken 3 in pirated copies back in the day. I bet it would surpass 10 million if pirated copies were counted.

Also, consider that Tekken 3 was launched in 1997 and PS1 was nowhere near the 100 million+ units it sold. Which makes Tekken 3 sales even more impressive.

That's now how that works.

Tekken 3 was indeed on on PSX, however Tekken 3 was decently bundled and it had no real competition wordlwide when it came out on the paltform, MKX however did. We also have had other big name games for the last 10 years, INCLUDING Tekken itself, release on more devices with a bigger install base and all failed to touch 7 million sales let alone 8 for years.

Which makes MKX sales even more impressive. Where it had a ton of competition, including a game by the same company that made MKX, Injustice 2, and those sales kept right on sailing. Tekken 3 was at peak PSX with no competition at all, especially since the one series that "WAS" Tekkens competition on the system, Toshiden, was long irrelevant outside japan and was slowly becoming irrelevant there as well. Also massive marketing campaign helped with that zero competition.

lock2k

Banned
That's now how that works.

Tekken 3 was indeed on on PSX, however Tekken 3 was decently bundled and it had no real competition wordlwide when it came out on the paltform, MKX however did. We also have had other big name games for the last 10 years, INCLUDING Tekken itself, release on more devices with a bigger install base and all failed to touch 7 million sales let alone 8 for years.

Which makes MKX sales even more impressive. Where it had a ton of competition, including a game by the same company that made MKX, Injustice 2, and those sales kept right on sailing. Tekken 3 was at peak PSX with no competition at all, especially since the one series that "WAS" Tekkens competition on the system, Toshiden, was long irrelevant outside japan and was slowly becoming irrelevant there as well. Also massive marketing campaign helped with that zero competition.

You have a great argument here. But... hey... both are impressive.

You have a great argument here. But... hey... both are impressive.

Assuming MK11 plays its cards right I'm going to guess it will probably be the most impressive games. If they learn from the criticism of MKX.

MK11 could potentially be a 15+ million seller, which would be something never expected from any fighting game franchise in the genres history. Of course that will probably be the peak for MK as well. I can't see a fighting game ever hitting COD numbers unless there's a new popular format that's discovered for the genre.

lock2k

Banned
Assuming MK11 plays its cards right I'm going to guess it will probably be the most impressive games. If they learn from the criticism of MKX.

MK11 could potentially be a 15+ million seller, which would be something never expected from any fighting game franchise in the genres history. Of course that will probably be the peak for MK as well. I can't see a fighting game ever hitting COD numbers unless there's a new popular format that's discovered for the genre.

True. But it will sell gangbusters, for sure!

"Real fighting game" yeah...change that crap inaccurate bait title please.

Also no, Tekken is the best-selling "real fighting game".

Again, is it okay to report threads for blatant misinformation?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Bragging about being second-place among the casual fighters and then calling it best selling among "real fighting games" is amusing. Hope you get paid for shilling this hard.

Javthusiast

Banned
Those naruto or dbz arena fighters and other ''fun fighters'' are not real technical esports fighting games, so using the term real fighters is applicable for this thread. Peope complaining about it, please stop.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Insane, I had no idea that Mortal Kombat was even relevant anymore these days, let alone sell 10M units.

I suppose it has to be a fun game. Maybe I will give MK11 a shot. Was it the woke one?

Vaelka

Didn't they rerelease the game too?
That + loads of sales I'd imagine that it'd sell quite a lot more and inflate the numbers a bit tbh.

Tevious

MK9 was really fun. I didn't care much for 10's story mode and the characters weren't as appealing, so I didn't stick with it for long. I've pretty much lost interest in the series now, so I'm gonna pass with MK11 for now. Maybe I'll grab it someday when it's cheap, as I'll probably only ever want to play it for the story mode.

Top Bottom