• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter - The Time is Right

Sheroking

I think its irrelevant if Japan is not into the MK games. MKXL has seen sales that SFV could only dream of. And Honestly it would be Street Fighter that would benefit from the cross over more than anything (in terms of sales).

Though I don't want to go down this rabbit hole again, I'll only say that Capcom's model is not NRS' model. They want to grow their game as an esport, sell continuous DLC and support one game for 5-6 years. In which time NRS will likely produce and release 3 games, have them all sell a bunch to casual fans who will stop playing them soon thereafter.

Lulubop

Honestly, if there was gonna be some big East meets West Capcom & Netherealm collab, I'd rather have Marvel vs DC.

What? Why would Capcom be involved in this project? They don't have exclusive rights for a Marvel fighting and WB/DC has it's own fighting game studio. They'd just go to NRS.

What? Why would Capcom be involved in this project? They don't have exclusive rights for a Marvel fighting and WB/DC has it's own fighting game studio. They'd just go to NRS.

Because Capcom's the only studio to make good Marvel fighting games and is IP is pretty much irrevocably tied to them in the eyes of the gaming community at this point.

Lulubop

I assume because no MvC fan wants to see NRS touch it.

Because Capcom's the only studio to make good Marvel fighting games and is IP is pretty much irrevocably tied to them in the eyes of the gaming community at this point.

But that's irrelevant when an NRS game is still gonna outsell anything Capcom puts out.

You really think this matters? DC vs Marvel by NRS would be the best selling fighter of all time. DC has it's own internal fighting game studio, why would they want a middleman?

SephLuis

I was hoping SF V story mode would show the more serious part of the lore, but it wasn't meant to happen.

I certainly would like to see this crossover, either in the way you described or going in another complete and insane direction.

tribal24

Banned
Only if capcom does the gameplay and animations , the rest NRS can handle. I think the better crossover would be Capcom vs Shonen Jump

erawsd

I'd love to see them try. Capcom is in a particularly desperate position that they may be willing to do something crazy.

EYEL1NER

C'mon, guys. I address this. The game wouldn't have Chun-li's head ripped off.

When MK fought DC, Scorpion didn't rip off Wonder Woman's head. That's the middle ground, and for all the whining about it, the game was still popular and sold a lot of copies.

It's not like Chun-li is untouchable either.

Chun-li vs Vega is more savage than any fight I've seen in a Mortal Kombat film adaptation.
Mortal Kombat has been going further and further with their violence, to the point where some people were asking here on GAF last year upon seeing trailers for the latest game if they had taken things too far, and saying that some of the fatalities were stomach-churning. You are correct that they toned things down for the DC crossover game, but you even admitted yourself in your OP that Mortal Kombat vs DC wasn't good. I don't think MK vs DC is anything they should be aspiring to replicate again.

Street Fighter is and has been extremely goofy in-game. The SF animated movie had some violence in it but it doesn't cross over to the games. And I don't know what artwork from Marvel comic books and footage from an Activision game about a Marvel character have to do with how Capcom wants the characters they own portrayed.

They don't mesh and one side would have to compromise quite a bit.

RM8

I'm a big MK fan and I wouldn't mind toning down the violence for this to happen. These are two of my favourite series ever, I'd love to play this game but I'm pretty sure it's never going to be a thing.

wildfire

Banned
So next question...
2. How does it play?
Mortal Kombat's combat is defined by hard-uppercuts, "dial-a-combos", and the notorious block button. Street Fighter set the genre rules ages ago with its own timeless combat that is far more about the flow of battle while controlling stage space.

Fundamentally all the fighting games have that timeless feel with controlling space and having a flow of battle.

Mortal Kombat needs a block button because they use teleport mechanics that would be broken with back to block controls.

I don't know much about fighting games but if you can't see some really obvious design decisions and similarities you shouldn't have bothered making such a sanctimonious post and prove you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to game design.

Anyway regarding the main idea of your post it would be cool to see happen but we saw what happened with Street Fighter X Tekken.

The mistakes made with that game that also led to the abortion of Tekken X Street Fighter should be avoided.

Considering how differently input controls are treated in both franchises from buffered commands to string inputs, in addition to that block button, it's going to be hard to satisfy fans who will argue a bastard child of both games wouldn't feel right.

Garlador

Mortal Kombat has been going further and further with their violence, to the point where some people were asking here on GAF last year upon seeing trailers for the latest game if they had taken things too far, and saying that some of the fatalities were stomach-churning. You are correct that they toned things down for the DC crossover game, but you even admitted yourself in your OP that Mortal Kombat vs DC wasn't good. I don't think MK vs DC is anything they should be aspiring to replicate again.

Street Fighter is and has been extremely goofy in-game. The SF animated movie had some violence in it but it doesn't cross over to the games. And I don't know what artwork from Marvel comic books and footage from an Activision game about a Marvel character have to do with how Capcom wants the characters they own portrayed.

They don't mesh and one side would have to compromise quite a bit.
Again, there exists a kid-friendly animated Mortal Kombat universe and multiple bloody Street Fighter adaptations. Heck, I'm old enough to remembers the bloodied, swollen, bruised, cut, and pummeled loser faces from Street Fighter 2. Remember those?

The point is SF has rubbed elbows with plent of M-rated characters before, not that SF should mimic their violence itself. MK would have to tone it down, but they've done that repeatedly over and over throughout the years.

gfdoom

Though I don't want to go down this rabbit hole again, I'll only say that Capcom's model is not NRS' model. They want to grow their game as an esport, sell continuous DLC and support one game for 5-6 years. In which time NRS will likely produce and release 3 games, have them all sell a bunch to casual fans who will stop playing them soon thereafter.

it'll be interesting to see what they do with Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite.

sneas78

Banned
Nope. I want them to do digitized characters. Exactly what that MK HD was supposed to be. That's all I ask for. We have 4K now. No crossover with SF.

Garlador

Fundamentally all the fighting games have that timeless feel with controlling space and having a flow of battle.

Mortal Kombat needs a block button because they use teleport mechanics that would be broken with back to block controls.

I don't know much about fighting games but if you can't see some really obvious design decisions and similarities you shouldn't have bothered making such a sanctimonious post and prove you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to game design.

Anyway regarding the main idea of your post it would be cool to see happen but we saw what happened with Street Fighter X Tekken.

The mistakes made with that game that also led to the abortion of Tekken X Street Fighter should be avoided.

Considering how differently input controls are treated in both franchises from buffered commands to string inputs, in addition to that block button, it's going to be hard to satisfy fans who will argue a bastard child of both games wouldn't feel right.
Both games have these elements, but they emphasize different things. No need to be a dick about it. I play all fighting games and all of them have common elements.

Injustice 2 has teleports and you hold back to block. It works.

And SFxT is a good game. The gem system and DLC fiasco hurt it, but in no universe is it a bad game.

Fraeon

Like it's been said above, the likeliest scenario will be both companies making their own versions of the games. You'd get a Street Fighter style game with MK characters and MK style game with Street Fighter characters.

Seriously though, stories in fighting games (especially crossover fighting games) is such a wasted effort that there's really no point. You're not going to get anything that's not utterly stupid. See: every fighting game since 1991.

Nope. I want them to do digitized characters. Exactly what that MK HD was supposed to be. That's all I ask for. We have 4K now. No crossover with SF.

Why aren't there any digitized games anymore? I would LOVE an HD or 4K, 60+ FPS Pit-Fighter. I just want to see with my own eyes how far that particular technology has come.

EYEL1NER

Again, there exists a kid-friendly animated Mortal Kombat universe and multiple bloody Street Fighter adaptations. Heck, I'm old enough to remembers the bloodied, swollen, bruised, cut, and pummeled loser faces from Street Fighter 2. Remember those?

The point is SF has rubbed elbows with plent of M-rated characters before, not that SF should mimic their violence itself. MK would have to tone it down, but they've done that repeatedly over and over throughout the years.
Kid-friendly Mortal Kombat cartoons from decades ago don't seem to be the direction Netherrealm is currently taking the series. And like I said, they have been getting more violent and more gory with each MK game post-MK vs DC. Pics of Ken with a split lip and black eyes and bruises that are also from decades ago don't compare at all with what Netherrealm is currently doing with their MK games. And Wolverine isn't holding Ryu's body up to helicopter blades so he can be decaptiated in MvC3, so I still don't know what media from other companies featuring characters that don't belong to Capcom have to do with anything. It guess there was a pic of Chris Redfield mixed in there too, but I don't recall his Desert Eagle causing Ken's head to explode when he gets shot with it in MvC. So yeah, Capcom had characters that can get down with violence and gore, but even they were toned down and neutered for games where they mixed it up with SF characters.

lupinko

Not gonna happen. I'd play it if it were entirely designed by Capcom, don't get me wrong. But the game isn't even acknowledged by most Japanese players (I think it's just Gamerbee, and he's Taiwanese) and MKX wasn't even released there. It has no headspace in Japan.

EDIT: It's like a Japanese person asking if there will be a big Western game crossover with Under Night In-Birth. Most people would have no clue wtf that was.

There is a MK fan base in Japan, now it's mainly made up of casuals but it's there.

The recent games aren't released because they're too violent for CERO.

You can buy import NA copies of MKX in Akihabara for example.

Kart94

Banned
LOL i wonder how the story would even go? It would just end up with all the Street Fighter characters dead because they are wimps except Akuma.

Chun Li and Cammy are wimps compared to Sonya Blade and she could easily wipe both of them out. You think i am kidding? Go watch Death Battle.

Finaika

There is a MK fan base in Japan, now it's mainly made up of casuals but it's there.

The recent games aren't released because they're too violent for CERO.

You can buy import NA copies of MKX in Akihabara for example.

Is Injustice 2 big in Japan?

Great post, you clearly put a lot of thought into it and found a good balance

As much as I enjoy Mortal Kombat, I'd love to see Capcom's take on MK characters in their gameplay system.

Evilisk

LOL i wonder how the story would even go? It would just end up with all the Street Fighter characters dead because they are wimps except Akuma.

Chun Li and Cammy are wimps compared to Sonya Blade and she could easily wipe both of them out.

Eh, story wouldn't really matter. You can make up any plot to justify the crossover. Some games don't even explain things (like MVC2).

Also, while yeah, you probably won't see most SF characters killing folks, it's not like every MK character goes around killing folks in the Story Modes either. MK9 was really bad about fighting the same few villains multiple times.

Though I actually doubt they'd kill off anyone in a MKvSF crossover

Pizza

I want to see Ryu's eyes pop out of his head in a cartoonish way, but then actually pop out while someone X-Ray uppercuts his balls to oblivion

walei

Solution: make two games.

Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat where Scorpio move cancels into an Ultra to beat the crap out of Ryu

and

Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter where Ryu rips Scorpio's head off.

Evilisk

On topic, I don't think I'll ever not feel weird about a SFvsMK game. About the only reason I'd ever want to see one is to see how Capcom handles the MK cast (part of why I liked SFxT is seeing how they handled the Tekken cast, which moves and costumes they went for etc.)

This, though specifically gameplay animations.

That said, I feel like Mortal Kombat vs. Darkstalkers would make more sense.

Somehow that feels even less fitting than SF vs MK.

Thinking about it, some of the Darkstalkers characters could work (Lord Raptor, Anakaris, Jedah, Demitri). Not sure how Netherrealm would feel about having fatalities work on a young character like Bulleta though

Paul Gale

I'm all for either a joint effort Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat title or one developed by Capcom and one developed by NetherRealm Studios. We've come far enough that it could happen and I think it could potentially turn out to be amazing.

cordy

Banned
Honestly I don't think that the time is ever right for these series. I'd rather see MKvsT and of course TxSF (not SFxT lol) than MKxSF. Just doesn't feel right.

The Adder

Banned
that's even worse.

Nah, MK v. Darkstalkers is the one that works. MK v. Street Fighter would be awful.

To quote myself from here:

Call me crazy, but MK x Darkstalkers makes SO MUCH more sense than SF x MK. I can't be the only one who sees this, right?

The worlds just slot so perfectly into each other. Makai is effectively just another realm. Side-by-side, MK and DS characters don't look all that incongruous with each other. Their design concepts mesh really well and would transition well in either direction.

DS already has a little blood and some dark themes, and I imagine Capcom is less protective of the DS cast than the SF characters.

Basically what I'm saying is that THIS is the fighting game crossover I'd most want to see.

To add to that, NRS already has a game that uses a lifebar system similar to DS.

Lulubop

Nah, MK v. Darkstalkers is the one that works. MK v. Street Fighter would be awful.

To quote myself from here:

To add to that, NRS already has a game that uses a lifebar system similar to DS.

They don't mesh well interms of gameplay, infact they're likely on opposite ends. It's like oil and water. Also even tho DS is pretty violent, it has a very cartoony style.

Top Bottom