• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: National Tournament | Las Vegas, Nevada | May 14 - May 15, 2011

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Alright, so this is my Sp00ky After Dark (S.A.D) theory;

Once Floe won losers semis it was decided to split the pot since LI Joe and Justin were waiting in winners finals and at that point they were the only 3 left, since both Justin and Joe had equal (at least on paper) chances of winning winners finals (and thus pretty much gauranteeing 1st place due to 2 sets of 4/7 in GF) they thought it would be wise to do a 3 way split instead of potentially losing out on a large chunk of cash. Whether it was an even split I don't know, maybe they decided whoever won winners finals would get a larger portion.

[/S.A.D]

Khezu said:
NRS should go all blizzard on kung lao and put him in baraka tier.
I think it'd be more entertaining for them to put Baraka in Kung Lao tier.

That being said, they did scale down some of Lao's damage already. Hopefully by Evo they'll have the patch and new balancing out by then and all of the systems at Evo actually have the patches on them.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Conceited said:
Alright, so this is my Sp00ky After Dark (S.A.D) theory;

Once Floe won losers semis it was decided to split the pot since LI Joe and Justin were waiting in winners finals and at that point they were the only 3 left, since both Justin and Joe had equal (at least on paper) chances of winning winners finals (and thus pretty much gauranteeing 1st place due to 2 sets of 4/7 in GF) they thought it would be wise to do a 3 way split instead of potentially losing out on a large chunk of cash. Whether it was an even split I don't know, maybe they decided whoever won winners finals would get a larger portion.

[/S.A.D]
That would explain why Wong was so glad to see Floe do well. Might also explain why Joe was so sodium free.

Grecco

1.Its no doubt they split the pot

2.Does it matter?

Im still more suprised at Perfect Legends perforamnce more than anything

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Grecco said:

2.Does it matter?

Yeah LI Joe and PerfectLegend chokes were some "wait what?" moments that kind of killed entertainment value in retrospect.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Grecco said:

2.Does it matter?

I don't really care all that much. It just takes the wind out of the sails of a tournament, which kinda sucks. If people are playing like their lives depend on it, (See Joe vs PL) then it's a thrill to watch.

As far as morality though, it doesn't bother me in the least. I would do the same if I was in their position.

Grecco

Once LI Joe, Wong and Floe were top 3 it was bound to happen. PL was the guy i thought would win this, and would have made a fun final but PL just didnt deliver

Kimosabae

Banned
To me, it does matter when there's an obvious split in these tournaments. It doesn't bother me personally, but it's all about what your vision is for competitive gaming at large. This shit has zero legitimacy if in the end, it's just a small group of the same guys chumming it up in the top 8, or whatever.

h3ro

I'm taking two things away from this tourney:

1. MK is pretty damn entertaining to watch. It's not Marvel, but watching the juggles and combos work out was cool.

2. MarkMan! What a performance! His Smoke was on point for most of the tourney until the last match where he started dropping his bnbs.

Grecco

Kimosabae said:
To me, it does matter when there's an obvious split in these tournaments. It doesn't bother me personally, but it's all about what your vision is for competitive gaming at large. This shit has zero legitimacy if in the end, it's just a small group of the same guys chumming it up in the top 8, or whatever.

It isnt any different than like the NBA, where a bunch of players are real good friends. (see DWade and LeBron, Chris Paul and Carmelo) they are gonna stick to each other.

In the end if you dont really like it either hope for others to step it up. Alot of good players didnt go to this tournament. Maybe things would have been different who knows. Im curious to see how it goes for MK at Evo.

Kimosabae

Banned
Grecco said:
It isnt any different than like the NBA, where a bunch of players are real good friends. (see DWade and LeBron, Chris Paul and Carmelo) they are gonna stick to each other.

In the end if you dont really like it either hope for others to step it up. Alot of good players didnt go to this tournament. Maybe things would have been different who knows. Im curious to see how it goes for MK at Evo.

This is a bad analogy. The incentives to compete are different. If Dirk and Lebron James meet in the finals, they could be best of friends, but they have every incentive to compete against each other. There's nothing for an NBA champion to share with loser.

Neki

Kimosabae said:
I guess you can't help that the top 8 are all good friends, if you want that to stop, people other than them will step up to have to win. They've already earned their place by being in the top 8.

Kimosabae

Banned
People need to stop making assumptions regarding what I do/don't "want". My subjective inclination is not a part of this equation. Splits = tournament results with no integrity = a community of tournament players/organizers with no integrity = a deterrent to corporate and casual interests (and everything in between) that value integrity.

Done.

And that's all I'm saying.

Assumptions way out of control up in here. There was nothing in the matches between JWong/LI Joe LI Joe/Floe or Floe/JWong that would suggest to me that anyone wasn't working hard trying to win.

LI Joe switching to Cyrax was a little odd, but he does play Cyrax and maybe he thought he could throw a curveball to win.

Neki

Kimosabae said:
People need to stop making assumptions regarding what I do/don't "want". My subjective inclination is not a part of this equation. Splits = tournament results with no integrity = a community of tournament players/organizers with no integrity = a deterrent to corporate and casual interests (and everything in between) that value integrity.

Done.

And that's all I'm saying.

I don't see how splits equal tournaments with no integrity, that is quite the leap you're making there.

Kimosabae

Banned
Ultimoo said:
I don't see how splits equal tournaments with no integrity, that is quite the leap you're making there.

What? That's not a leap at all. If two or more players agree to share winnings, they obviously have less incentive to compete against each other. This obviously hurts the integrity of the tournament's results, regardless of where the players lie in the bracket.

This isn't hard.

Ultimoo said:

MLG banned two players Smash from their finals when they were made aware of them splitting the potential winnings. It's match fixing and it's the thing that most sports fear the most. There was also a huge fallout over some Starcraft match fixing (although that was on a much larger scale than this). So integrity does play a large role in it which is why you see the major organizers take strong actions to try to eliminate it.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Kimosabae said:
What? That's not a leap at all. If two or more players agree to share winnings, they obviously have less incentive to compete against each other. This obviously hurts the integrity of the tournament's results, regardless of where the players lie in the bracket.

This isn't hard.

Completely agree. It is like the poster below you said, match fixing.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hi guys. Thanks for all the support!

Lots of love for fighting game fans! I wished I could have done commentary!

I gotta practice... !

kirblar

Prize splits are not equivalent to match fixing. Competitors do prize splits because they'd rather be guaranteed a set amount rather than risk a large amount.

When there's such enormous disparities between 1st place and the next 2 down, wanting a downside guarantee rather than a giant risk isn't crazy. The problem is that there's no official way to get the prize structure altered, like in Poker or M:TG, to allow the players to alleviate some of the risk involved while ensuring both competition and keeping everything on the up and up.

kirblar said:
Prize splits are not equivalent to match fixing. Competitors do prize splits because they'd rather be guaranteed a set amount rather than risk a large amount.

When there's such enormous disparities between 1st place and the next 2 down, wanting a downside guarantee rather than a giant risk isn't crazy. The problem is that there's no official way to get the prize structure altered, like in Poker or M:TG, to allow the players to alleviate some of the risk involved while ensuring both competition and keeping everything on the up and up.
I think you just torpedoed your own argument.

W Hudson

Pretty fun tournament to watch. I certainly learned a few things I'm trying to implement in my game. You could tell that J Wong really put in the time between PowerUp and the the PDP tourney.

MarkMan said:

I gotta practice... !

Great effort and showing overall. It was awesome to see such a high level Smoke being played, it seemed like he was few and far between at the tournament. He's one of my favorites so far, and I was able to pick up a few things from your matches. Nice work.

Dahbomb

JWong put in a lot of time in MK and even skipped on some WNF showings and MVC3 time to practice MK. He is a deserving winner here. Same for Floe, as they were both sparring partners.

There wasn't any fixing involved here, too much money at stake. Split grand final pot? With Floe and JWong in the final it is very likely but so what? The rest of the players were free to beat them but they didn't and these two prevailed.

People are just unhyped because it's a grand finals that we have seen one too many times in other games (particularly MVC3). They didn't want the same ol' but hey... a good fighting game player is a good fighting game player.

MarkMan said:

I gotta practice... !
You have a really good smoke going on there, using more then just his teleport punches :p

alstein

Grecco said:

2.Does it matter?

I got no problem with pot splitting, provided they play honestly to win despite the pot split.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Ultimoo said:
people seem to think that's never the case though for some reason.
It's pretty simple: the vast majority of people prefer competition where the results matter. Baseball is the same game in Spring Training as the regular season, but not one gives a shit about the games in March because it doesn't matter who wins or loses. That indifference to results by the competitors and spectators is reflected in the lower quality of play.

Pot-splitting turns competitions into exhibitions. People can say they're playing "honestly" all they want, but reality is that they know damn well it barely matters if they win or lose when they agree to split the pot. Competition without real pressure to perform is not all that interesting to most people because human beings react different when there is pressure. There's a reason why playoff tickets cost more than regular season tickets in any sport. There's a reason why WWE results aren't covered by ESPN. Hell, there's a reason why the NFL's revenue is many, many times higher than that of the WWE.

At the end of the day, these guys spent their own money to enter a fighting game tournament on their time. They don't owe me anything. That said, if you look at the number of people watching the stream during casuals versus the number of people watching the finals, I think it's pretty obvious that most spectators do care about the integrity of the competition. If the top players enjoy the extra money that a larger audience brings with them, then the pot-splitting circle-jerks may very well come back to bite them in the ass.

I just don't think that after all the controversy about PowerUp, JWong would be brazen enough to do any pot splitting, even if he had intentions of doing so. I don't doubt that some of that money will come Floe's way in one way or another---picking up the bill when they go out or something, but I don't believe the pot was actually split.

fernoca

Posted a recap (in the OP) of day two courtesy of Mortal Kombat Online and a link to Team Spooky's site for those that want to watch it either for the first time, or again.

ToyBroker

Banned
Splitting the pot = unbelievably lame.

Aside from that, was fun to watch (for the little amount of time I did).

Kung Lao is just.......I dunno.

I enjoy watching MK more just because it's not as hectic and wild as Marvel.

Top Bottom