• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Darr said:
I remember playing Mortal Kombat 1 for hours in the arcade! Then obsessing over MK2 in game magazines! When part two came out my brother and I would play for hours and hours! I'm looking forward to this. Still, I wish they would use real actors. I would love to see that kind of effect with this generations powerful hardware.

If they used digitally-captured performances of actual people a la the original games, it would be insta-banned here in Australia. :lol

TreIII

infinityBCRT said:
I just picked up the EGM "komeback" issue with MK on the cover. Inside it confirms that Sub-Zero is the original one (who is killed by Scorpion and returns as Noob Saibot). Also in the Reptile/Sektor pic which may or may not be in the church, Rain is definitely in the background in his MK Deception costume and someone who kinda looks like Shinnok but not quite is also in the background.

Hm. So this does make it a bit more interesting when it comes to how things may play out this time. Bring on the more convoluted plot twists! :lol

fernoca

Nice info, so getting this issue when I see it around...I know there are mutliple covers..seen Sub-Zero and another one with Raiden...anyone else?

Anyway, some one small detail that has been mentioned around..don't know if it is on the EGM issue, but it seems that endings won't be just still images..so maybe..the ones asking for a comeback of the beloved Jax/Sonya scene from MK4 might be happy.. :lol :lol ..though won't be fully rendered movies..neither.

JdFoX187

Banned
Sounds like they're really mixing it up with the characters this time around. I hope old Sub-Zero coming back means young Sub-Zero is a cyborg. They could easily change up his moveset enough to differentiate them. I wonder if old Sub-Zero is an asshole again in this one.

PoliceCop said:
Who the hell is that tiger thing?
Kintaro. Sub-boss for Mortal Kombat II. Same race as Goro.

EDIT: I've been watching some of the Mortal Kombat Conquest episodes, and good god they were horribly cheesey. The continuation is completely fucked from the get-go. Scorpion is a spirit literally trapped in a scorpion that can posses people. And his voice was absolutely laughable.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The Lamonster said:
This. Sounds exactly like me except I was an only child. :lol

I still have the old EGM with MK2 on the cover.

Like 90% sure I still have that issue too somewhere in my big box o' old gaming mags.

xblcf9.jpg

Replicant said:
FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Boon should have paid up for license to use the song in the game. It'd be perfect for the final boss and the opening movie.

they better at least have custom soundtracks in the PS3 version so I can play this song in the backround

Chairhome

Lifejumper said:
New gameplay vid from E3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CIRC...os=6ELsE0jZLa4

NVM the whole vid is new
Haha, "don't do a fatality, don't do a fatality. These guys aren't excited"

JdFoX187 said:
EDIT: I've been watching some of the Mortal Kombat Conquest episodes, and good god they were horribly cheesey. The continuation is completely fucked from the get-go. Scorpion is a spirit literally trapped in a scorpion that can posses people. And his voice was absolutely laughable.
I actually liked Conquest when I was a kid, cause the action was decent, and all the girls were hot. Haha.

-viper-

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Yeah, back before they really started to emphasize Reptile's reptilian nature, he was more of a mysterious, badass ninja. In MK2 and Ultimate MK3, they treated him kind of like Mileena. He looked human until he took off his mask to reveal a lizard face. That is the reptile that I loved in the classic MK games.

Lizardman Reptile from all of the recent games can suck my balls. He looks more like a joke now than a badass.
Completely agree.

The Ninja variations were all insanely cool. The new Rain and Reptile designs look like shit as far as I'm concerned. Only Sub Zero and Scorpion look good.

LakeEarth

Chairhome said:
I actually liked Conquest when I was a kid, cause the action was decent, and all the girls were hot. Haha.
Every single girl on that show was hotter than hell, and they get the future T-X to be the main chick. Bravo, horny casting director.

Why'd they plan to follow Kung Lao and make it a prequel escapes me. Good final scene though :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Every single girl on that show was hotter than hell, and they get the future T-X to be the main chick. Bravo, horny casting director.

Why'd they plan to follow Kung Lao and make it a prequel escapes me. Good final scene though :lol
You could tell the women were only there for the looks :lol Especially when they introduce Jade? and have the real slow pan up her legs and body. I need to get back to watching it. It's somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

The video itself seems to be from some fanmade project, but I'm pretty sure the fatality is from Mortal Kombat Trilogy. At least, the N64 release.

zoukka

I just played Mortal Kombat vs DC heroes and it was one of the worst games I've ever tried. So this reboot comes as a godsens :b

zoukka said:
I just played Mortal Kombat vs DC heroes and it was one of the worst games I've ever tried. So this reboot comes as a godsens :b

you must have skipped Mortal Kombat 4 through Mortal Kombat Armegeddon then :lol

Irish

Armageddon was the only 3D MK game I haven't really liked over the past two generations.

Also, I don't remember MK II being this difficult? (I just bought it off PSN.)

Irish said:
Armageddon was the only 3D MK game I haven't really liked over the past two generations.

Which version of MK2 did you play the most? I remember the Genesis version being pretty easy, but that might have been because you had a lot of credits. The PC version gave you limited credits and even on very easy that game was a bitch. The furthest I got was beating Shao Kahn in one round. I usually got destroyed by Kintaro most of the time.

Been playing the PSN version lately and I've been getting my butt kicked on the hard difficulty.

By the way, Warner Bros just released Midway Arcade Treasures for PSP on PSN. Has a bunch of awesome games in it including MK1,2,3 (no UMK3 unfortunately).

Irish said:

i could never beat MK II when i was a kid, but i can now though. I have to revert to just using cheap tactics though

infinityBCRT said:
Which version of MK2 did you play the most? I remember the Genesis version being pretty easy, but that might have been because you had a lot of credits. The PC version gave you limited credits and even on very easy that game was a bitch. The furthest I got was Shao Kahn in one round. I usually got destroyed by Kintaro most of the time.

Been playing the PSN version lately and I've been getting my butt kicked on the hard difficulty.

By the way, Warner Bros just released Midway Arcade Treasures for PSP on PSN. Has a bunch of awesome games in it including MK1,2,3 (no UMK3 unfortunately).

Genesis version all day. Left, Down, Left, Right, Down, Right, Left, Left, Right, Right. And that Fergality was the shit. SNES version was nice too once you knew the codes. It was the version I played for years. I need to get that shit for PSN. It's $5 still right? I might pick that up today.

That Midway Arcade Treasures may be a buy for me. Having the first 3 in a single pack is nice instead of what they did by spreading the first 3 and UMK all over the place. 1 was on LE Versions of Deception. 2 was on Shaolin Monks and MAC2. 3 was on MAC2. And UMK was on LE Versions of Armageddon. And this gives me hope that they'll update UMK on Live and fix all the dumb shit that was wrong with that port

And don't hate on the 3D games. Deadly Alliance and Deception were very good. A lot of what we're gonna see in 9 has it's basis from MK vs DCU which wasn't bad either. Still want that Harley Quinn DLC.

Anyanka

Mortal Kombat II on Midway Arcade Treasures PSP runs fast.

by the way, a clip on the Lopez Show had Kitana in chains in the arena. Wearing a new Slave Leia costume. Hopefully they show her playable soon and she's a beast like she was in MKDC. :D

zoukka

MKII was brutal. I got past Kintaro only once and remember beating Shao Kahn with the Shang Tsung fireballs-only. If I would've lost, I probably would've destroyed my SNES.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I gotta say, the idea of doing a Star Trek style "reboot" of the MK universe is a pretty fantastic idea. I'm pretty excited to see where they go with it.

Anyanka

You can't fight the MK II and MK3 AI like it's a real person. Single player MK is a meta game where you have fun manipulating the AI.

Monocle

Zen said:
Hey now, both Deception and Deadly Alliance were really good.
This is the truth. Neither were great compared to other fighting games of their time, but both were damn fun. I spent many hours with DA and Deception, and I don't regret it.

Monocle said:
This is the truth. Neither were great compared to other fighting games of their time, but both were damn fun. I spent many hours with DA and Deception, and I don't regret it.
Yeah, they were fun. A shame that DA hadn't second and stage fatality's ... :(

I look forward to this game.

Monocle said:
I think MK Deception along with SFA3 (PSX/DC) are among the most complete fighting games ever released. The Konquest mode in Deception and the World Tour mode in SFA3 were both great ways to experience the game in single player and a good starting point for noobs. And both had loads of unlockables.

In general I'm not a fan of unlockables in fighting games (especially the ones that require you to beat a game 20 times to unlock all the characters) but if you're gonna have them, those two games did it right.

Top Bottom