• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate Edition PS5/Xbox Series Enhancements?

ManaByte

Gold Member
So they're releasing Mortal Kombat 11 on PS5 and Xbox Series next week. Has there been any word on what enhancements (if any) there are or are they just slapping the current-gen game in a new box?

Justin9mm

That is correct.

The other enhancements we know for sure are “significantly reduced load times” and dynamic 4k.

I'm pretty sure if you have the standard PS4 version you will get a free upgrade to PS5 but it won't be the full Ultimate Edition with the additional DLC characters if you have not already purchased.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

All we really know is

mortal-kombat-11-will-upgrade-to-ps5-xbox-series-for-free-with-cross-gen-play-details.jpg

No real details as far as "visual enhancements" are concerned - probably the usual increase in shadow detail etc. you'd see in a scalable Unreal engine game.

I'm pretty sure if you have the standard PS4 version you will get a free upgrade to PS5 but it won't be the full Ultimate Edition with the additional DLC characters if you have not already purchased.

Right. You just have to buy Kombat Pack 2 right now if you want the extra characters.

Either way your game will be called Ultimate after the 17th.

Justin9mm

Right. You just have to buy Kombat Pack 2 right now if you want the extra characters.

Either way your game will be called Ultimate after the 17th.
Ok so yeah no Kombat Pack 1, No Aftermath expansion and no Shao Kahn but yeah if you exclude all that then I guess you can say its almost the same lmao

MiguelItUp

This whole time they said that cross platform wasn't happening, but then all of a sudden yesterday they said there was cross play across all platforms including Switch and PC. I was like wtf? Well, that's cool, haha.

I'm pretty curious to know if PC is going to receive enhancements as well. I haven't seen any confirmations anywhere.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This has to be the worst fucking thing i've ever had to install from a disc yet. Installed it twice on a Series X and STILL half the rosta either doesnt show up, or shows up then goes again

What is this shit?

Fucking awful way to do things. Looks like good fun but this is total bollocks

Carry on.

MiguelItUp

This whole time they said that cross platform wasn't happening, but then all of a sudden yesterday they said there was cross play across all platforms including Switch and PC. I was like wtf? Well, that's cool, haha.

I'm pretty curious to know if PC is going to receive enhancements as well. I haven't seen any confirmations anywhere.
Shortly after they came out and said that there WASN'T crossplay with Switch and PC. They just practically blame it on those platforms being done by another developer. You'd think that they'd at least work with them to try and get crossplay in across the board.

MK11, much like X, showed that the PC community was getting shafted yet again. I guess in the future I shouldn't buy MK for PC.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This has to be the worst fucking thing i've ever had to install from a disc yet. Installed it twice on a Series X and STILL half the rosta either doesnt show up, or shows up then goes again

What is this shit?

Carry on.
Shortly after getting it all working I came to a realisation that I suck at fighting games anyway.

MrMephistoX

What is this shit?

Carry on.

Didn’t have to deal with a disc but pure downloading was borked too. Characters didn’t show up immediately for me either but I just left it overnight and it all magically started working.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hmm... so modders doing whay developers can't? Sounds about right.
Well I guess they wanted a certain look & feel to the scenes which I guess you can only call "cinematic"
The 60fps while technically better on paper looks more amateurish or like a Korean drama in most media
Now not everything is subject to this, you can get 60fps and up that you can barely tell the difference other then the picture looks more defined and that's a good thing.
If it's not jumping out at you then it been done properly.
But if you start noticing movement difference or anything that looks off, that because it is and should not be running at that framerate
For example
Days Gone & Ghost of Tushima on PS5 looks fantastic running at 60fps
But I bet you notice 60fps more in both Spider-Man games
That thing you notice, is not a good thing and unwanted.
Sadly some people actually like this effect and even enable it through their TV with Motion+ or whatever
Yeah I can't take anybody that does that seriously.
But yeah, it a artistic choice, and they purposely put the cap there.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Didn’t have to deal with a disc but pure downloading was borked too. Characters didn’t show up immediately for me either but I just left it overnight and it all magically started working.
It was an absolute nightmare off disc, in the end it took three full reinstalls, even then it took a few reboots of the system and it continually wanting to 'upgrade' characters!

Never known anything like it!

It sounds like you had a fun time too! I bought XL today, I heard all the DLC is on the disc anyway and doesnt have any of these problems. Just wanted to play a few fighters lately.

carlosrox

Banned
Been wanting to buy this game since it came out but I think with PS5/SX enhancements now will really be the time to bite.

Well I guess they wanted a certain look & feel to the scenes which I guess you can only call "cinematic"
The 60fps while technically better on paper looks more amateurish or like a Korean drama in most media
Now not everything is subject to this, you can get 60fps and up that you can barely tell the difference other then the picture looks more defined and that's a good thing.
If it's not jumping out at you then it been done properly.
But if you start noticing movement difference or anything that looks off, that because it is and should not be running at that framerate
For example
Days Gone & Ghost of Tushima on PS5 looks fantastic running at 60fps
But I bet you notice 60fps more in both Spider-Man games
That thing you notice, is not a good thing and unwanted.
Sadly some people actually like this effect and even enable it through their TV with Motion+ or whatever
Yeah I can't take anybody that does that seriously.
But yeah, it a artistic choice, and they purposely put the cap there.
Yeah, no, this makes no sense. There is a massive difference between movie scenes that are shot in 24fps (or something similar) and then machine-smoothed to 60 or 100 or whatnot fps,
and full 60fps (one "real" image per frame) that you have in the "unlocked" cinematics and fatalities and so on in MK11.
There is no "soapy filter" and weird image, there is pure, crisp image quality througout. Fuck "Cinematic" for gaming content. It's just a shitty engine and/or shitty programming.

Last edited:

RobRSG

That's a mod
I suppose you believe this looks better at 60fps

DecimalMaleDragon-size_restricted.gif

It’s 105GB on PC and cinematics are 60hz, along with Xrays, fatalities and intros.

No mod needed.

I guess that’s the only way they could do “Krossplay” between all the Playstations and Xboxes... A 60hz Xray would desync the hell out of the online play.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, no, this makes no sense. There is a massive difference between movie scenes that are shot in 24fps (or something similar) and then machine-smoothed to 60 or 100 or whatnot fps,
and full 60fps (one "real" image per frame) that you have in the "unlocked" cinematics and fatalities and so on in MK11.
There is no "soapy filter" and weird image, there is pure, crisp image quality througout. Fuck "Cinematic" for gaming content. It's just a shitty engine and/or shitty programming.
I agree, should be crisp image quality all the way
But just because you don't see doesn't mean it's not there in some of them, especially cinematics
this is the same as "I can't see the difference in 30fps Vs 60fps"

I agree, should be crisp image quality all the way
But just because you don't see doesn't mean it's not there in some of them, especially cinematics
this is the same as "I can't see the difference in 30fps Vs 60fps"
I tried this after replying to you. On PC the story cinematics are not in game real time renders and therefore are locked to, it seems under 30fps. So you were right, they decided to go with the lower numbers and a post process fps-push would end in the soap-effect.
My guess is, rendering time. Double the framecount, double the rendering time...
Still, this shit is so fucking jarring going from 60fps gameplay into the "better looking", but in the end worse seeming lower fps cutscenes.
And they still could patch this in (I know, it's WB, they will for the life of them never patch something good into their games).

...man, these cutscenes aren't even 4k.

Oh and hell, I wouldn't see those effects. I almost disinherited my father for putting this shit on in his TV. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom