• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 female characters were purposely made less sexual according to NetherRealms.

Odinnii

I always thought NRS games had the worst design and animation in all FGs. I still bought em and messed around with em for a week or two but this progressive virtue signaling is all I need to just straight up skip this one.

Closer

Personally couldn't give a fuck less what ANY of the characters are wearing (or not wearing). If I'm playing MK, I'm focused on fighting. Not staring at digital tits, abs, dick bulges, asses. Regardless, people are gonna be offended and outraged at shit no matter what, no matter how insignificant someone else thinks that issue may be. I'm basically indifferent/apathetic towards it all. Got way more important shit to do in life than be upset about a fucking video game character in a fighting game wearing high heels and having an ample bosom. It gives me a headache thinking about this shit. The devs should just make the game they want to make, the game they have faith in and think will sell well. You can't put out a product that appeases everybody. Especially not the people who were never planning on purchasing the product to begin with. It's Mortal-fucking-Kombat. What's next? Are some surgeons and kinesiologists gonna suddenly get on the developers' case about how unrealistic the fatalities and movesets are?

I'm on the same camp. There are two sides on this whole mess that are being really bitchy: The ones that want the changes to be made, and the one that don't want the same changes to be made, or else they are not gonna buy the game. It's incredible how annoying both sides are.

I'm on the same camp. There are two sides on this whole mess that are being really bitchy: The ones that want the changes to be made, and the one that don't want the same changes to be made, or else they are not gonna buy the game. It's incredible how annoying both sides are.
It's fine to be apathetic, but don't shit on people who care because you are apathetic.

There's a middle ground. People just like to go to extremes. This is where this whole thread lies.
Fair enough. Where is the middle ground here? One side has decided to have half naked, completely sexualized male characters while dressing the female characters head to toe in clothing because they think it is disrespectful. And the other side feels like they are being treated as children and see something filled with excessive, grotesque gore making a value statement not just on their characters, but also on their fans.

So the middle ground there would be...? I guess having some sexy female characters and some sexy male characters, but maybe not going extreme in one direction or another, while the fans should... be okay with being treated like naughty little children?

Tesseract

Banned
the older designs were kinda sleazy tho, but she's right that showing less skin shouldn't be the goal

the goal should be great designs, sometimes that'll mean less skin and sometimes it won't

TBH i wish game dev artists would speak up more

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
There's a middle ground. People just like to go to extremes. This is where this whole thread lies.

That's not true, there's been plenty of moderate voices in this thread, I know it's easier to notice the more volatile posts, but I assure you they're there. Compared to the discourse on the net in general on subjects like this, this thread has been pretty mild.

If this sort of discussion upsets you it's probably best to just avoid threads of this nature, instead of intentionally exposing yourself to things that annoy you.

Whitesnake

Banned
The impact is the normalization of a certain kind of depiction of female characters.
It really depends on the developers themselves to think about what motivated them to design them the way they did, what these ideas are based on and what they reflect.
There can be entirely valid reasons for sexualized depictions, but there can also be reason that basically boil down to "I'd tap that".
Women already are faced with tons of constructed standards and ideals they have to meet, most of them conveyed through media depictions. Developers need to ask themselves if they want to contribute to this trend.
And the guys at NetherRealms did that and decided they do not want to.

Show proof. Give me metrics. Show me numbers that can find a causitive link between Mileena’s tits and women having low self-worth. Show me factual, undeniable evidence that sexy female characters have a long-term negative effect on women regarding how they are percieved.

Show me the receipts.

Closer

Fair enough. Where is the middle ground here?

Go back to MK1 designs. Everything after is too stupid looking.
That's not true, there's been plenty of moderate voices in this thread, I know it's easier to notice the more volatile posts, but I assure you they're there. Compared to the discourse on the net in general on subjects like this, this thread has been pretty mild.

If more than half is rotten, everything is rotten.

Dacon

Banned
This is a silly thread.

Why did you engage in it then? Why didn't you just ignore it? Why feel the need to interject when you have nothing meaningful to add to the subject of the discussion beyond "you guys r all dumb this thread is dumb reeeee".

Guess you gotta live up to that avatar.

I think you may be missing those women criticizing overly sexualized women in music because you aren't within that culture. You like video games. You joined and participate on a video games forum, so you see all the news about stuff like this. But how closely are you following a music artist like Cardi B? She was an ex-stripper that became a rapper and loves being sexual in her videos. Along with Nicki Minaj and trust me those two women get ALOT of flack from a certain section of women about how they dress and do stripper moves on stage and in their videos.

That is true, but I feel the difference is artists like Carbi B, Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera to name a few still do the art they what they want despite being ridiculed by the media. They also do it for their fans who seemingly appreciate their offerings and art form which is indicative of the money they make and popularity. You don’t see them bending to the will of the critics coming out on stage dressed in trash bags covered from head to toe telling the fans to screw you if you do not like what we are doing.

Video games industry is a legitimate joke in this regard. A few SJW’s complain on a forum and video game developers act like they are scared for their lives and will conform to their ideologies and change the direction of their entire game or even the company. At least with the sexy artists, they are probably true to themselves. Their fans support them in droves while these small but vocal groups video game developers are aggressively catering to don’t even support the companies video games.

If the developers want to change their characters, that’s perfectly fine but I just think the way they handled it is rather misleading and even kind of pompous imo.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That is true, but I feel the difference is artists like Carbi B, Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera to name a few still do the art they what they want despite criticism and being ridiculed by the media. They also do it for their fans who seemingly appreciate their offerings and art form.

Video games industry is a legitimate joke in this regard. A few SJW’s complain on a few forums and video game developers s t like they are scared for their lives and will conform to their ideologies and change the direction. If the entire game or even company. At least with the sexy artists, their fans support their work in droves while these small but vocal groups these game developers are aggressively catering to don’t even support the companies video games.
100% true.

I don't follow any sleazy dressed singer's twitter or music forums, so I don't know how much flak they've got for acting the way they do, but one thing's for sure...... they don't seem to give a shit and keep doing it. And people still love them and they rake in the bucks.

I don't mean this statement in a literal-gender sense, but for all you video game makers out there sometimes you got to be a man and don't crouch on the dusty concrete floor and cover your head like a sissy. If you want that game to be sexy or bloody do it. I don't see Rockstar transforming GTA games into Lego Adventures. Tits, swearing, cop killing, drugs, the don't care. Why should you? Stick to your vision and make a good game and sales will follow. Those awesome GTA games are on top 10 sellers list like 5 years after they come out.

However, it's understandable why video game makers cave in:

1. SJW have conceited defeat in other media, so gaming is one left they can still kick ans scream

2. Game forums are huge, so what you get is an absolute number of gamers who complain so they think that is representative when there's probably millions gamers using forums who don't complain

3. Gaming vs. singers is different. Singers have more control over what they do. Yeah, they have record labels and managers and agents to appease, but it's all about them. Game companies are corporations (big or small) with a ton of people all chiming in from Q&A tester to programmer to HR manager and marketing PR dude given canned answers. So you get a lot of viewpoints trying to mould a game's image and content.

Unfortunately, it seems gaming is getting influenced by all the HR departments hearing about SJW issues, so what happens is the core gaming development departments get nudge to fix the game.

All I know is at my company, HR sticks to payroll, benefits, hiring/firing people. The last thing they should be doing is trying to influence sales strategy and product development.

Last edited:

llien

conceited defeat in other media
Uh, nope. Director had to exercise self-flagellation for daring to sneak bra covered boobs in:

Individual actresses/singers are indeed telling the enlightened once to go have sex with themselves quite succesfully though.

And once again, why would a women dress like this when it's cold, chuckle:

jennifer-lawrence-photocall-t.jpg

Last edited:

Closer

Buuuut... in MK1 Liu Kang was half naked! and Johhny Cage too! And Sonya Blade didn't even have a real cleavage and was the only female fighter! Waitaminit...

Do you get it?

Why did you engage in it then? Why didn't you just ignore it? Why feel the need to interject when you have nothing meaningful to add to the subject of the discussion beyond "you guys r all dumb this thread is dumb reeeee".

Because I care about the game, not how avatars look like.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That is true, but I feel the difference is artists like Carbi B, Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera to name a few still do the art they what they want despite being ridiculed by the media. They also do it for their fans who seemingly appreciate their offerings and art form which is indicative of the money they make and popularity. You don’t see them bending to the will of the critics coming out on stage dressed in trash bags covered from head to toe telling the fans to screw you if you do not like what we are doing.

Video games industry is a legitimate joke in this regard. A few SJW’s complain on a forum and video game developers act like they are scared for their lives and will conform to their ideologies and change the direction of their entire game or even the company. At least with the sexy artists, they are probably true to themselves. Their fans support them in droves while these small but vocal groups video game developers are aggressively catering to don’t even support the companies video games.

If the developers want to change their characters, that’s perfectly fine but I just think the way they handled it is rather misleading and even kind of pompous imo.

I do think some video game companies are jumping the gun and overreacting. I'm amazed at the fact that some of them don't seem to be able to find the middle ground. Which lends the thought that it's a top-down approach to the decision to change the wardrobes in the first place.

To go from one extreme to the other extreme so (relatively) fast is weird.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So basically cleavage (sexuality) is no good, yet ripping out spines (ultra violence) is A-OK?

And not gaming related but adds to this discussion. Women fighting and winning the right to go top less in public beaches in NYC for the longest. So it's OK to publically show your tits (with children around) but in games its bad to show cleavage and have jiggle which reflects so much the post 90s dress code of alot of women in urban areas (tighter/showing more). Also men continue to be bare chested in games and supposedly sexualized but thts OK.

Hypocrisy bs. Show tits, ass, dick whatever if thts your vision and the game is rightfully rated. We live in a world where everyone is different and nine times out of ten what you reflect in a game is someone's reality.

I don't think most here are outraged at the change itself but the reason behind it. Slowly but surely this society is trying to be more conservative and big pussies. We went through tht in the past no need to revert back to it.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
MK original fans and financers were those arcade going degenerates and kids who skipped school.
Now MK is about respecting women, representation and progressive ideas. They must be joking

Dacon

Banned
Why don't you read the thread and find out?

I've read all of your posts and all youve done of late is bitch about how other people are talking about this.

If you don't care how the characters look why the hell are you in a thread all about how the characters look and why they look that way? It makes no sense.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

The game will be the same either way. I will judge the game for the gameplay when it's released.
This sums up what you've had to say in this thread. It's fine if you don't care about the aesthetics or reasoning of the devs. That's all you mang.

Do you understand why others might care though and why it would be baffling to have someone that doesn't care at all keep talking about how much they don't care? Everyone knows that the gameplay isn't the issue here so why do you keep bringing it up?

Closer

I've read all of your posts and all youve done of late is bitch about how other people are talking about this.

If you don't care how the characters look why the hell are you in a thread all about how the characters look and why they look that way? It makes no sense.

This is not an echo chamber. If you read everything you know how I ended up engaging in this mess.

This sums up what you've had to say in this thread. It's fine if you don't care about the aesthetics or reasoning of the devs. That's all you mang.

Do you understand why others might care though and why it would be baffling to have someone that doesn't care at all keep talking about how much they don't care? Everyone knows that the gameplay isn't the issue here so why do you keep bringing it up?

I was not talking about how much I don't care, you guys brought it up and now we're here, with people asking why I don't care or why should I engage in this thread.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I was not talking about how much I don't care, you guys brought it up and now we're here, with people asking why I don't care or why should I engage in this thread.
What I mean by "Don't care" is that you don't care about this issue. Obviously you do care about the gameplay, but in regards to this topic I only recall you pointing out how it doesn't matter because the gameplay is fine.

I'll give your thread of comments another read though in case I missed something. I don't want to harp on this too much since it'd be stupid for the thread to devolve into arguing about who cares lol

I've seen a few posts of this nature though and figured I'd poke at it.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
This thread is all about the aesthetics of the female characters in the game. If you don't care and you're not on either side of the discussion, for or against, you're in the wrong thread and there's no point in you posting. That's really all there is to it.

Which is why I don't really understand these kinds of posts, but I suppose I'll move on now.

Last edited:

Closer

This thread is all about the aesthetics of the female characters in the game. If you don't care and you're not on either side of the discussion, for or against, you're in the wrong thread and there's no point in you posting. That's really all there is to it.

Except when people quote me. Then there are. And actually, when people say what I can or cannot do. It's up to me.

Dacon

Banned
Yes it makes total sense to post in a thread about a subject you don't care about to post how much you don't care about the subject.

Upon closer inspection, Jade's face looks pretty good.

8jko6fson6j21.jpg

Shame about the boring costume. That and the complete remodeling of her body type, but eh.

Barnabot

Yes it makes total sense to post in a thread about a subject you don't care about to post how much you don't care about the subject.

8jko6fson6j21.jpg

Shame about the boring costume. That and the complete remodeling of her body type, but eh.

such a contrast...

Az7J2Up.jpg

8jko6fson6j21.jpg

If you think she has been remodeled, you should see Sub-Zero throughout all of history.

While I think Jade looks only ok in the screenshots, in action her costumes are amazing with the light that comes from her bo-beam. I have her set up in a white costume with green fringes, and then the light makes all of her white glow green. It's great.

Ten_Fold

Soo it’s fine to have men shirtless but if a female shows too much boob then it’s too much? I’m confused.... man this sjw era we are in sucks, the one part of the internet I hate.

Dacon

Banned
If you think she has been remodeled, you should see Sub-Zero throughout all of history.

While I think Jade looks only ok in the screenshots, in action her costumes are amazing with the light that comes from her bo-beam. I have her set up in a white costume with green fringes, and then the light makes all of her white glow green. It's great.

Mk3 Sub was poop

Hellblueboy

I wouldn't expect any fanservice from western videogames at this point.
Nowadays, western developers put more focus on "Ground" and "Realistic", it make games more boring for me tbh.

Dacon

Banned
I wouldn't expect any fanservice from western videogames at this point.
Nowadays, western developers put more focus on "Ground" and "Realistic", it make games more boring for me tbh.

Yeah that whole aspect of escapism that drew us to games in the first place is out the window now.

8jko6fson6j21.jpg

Lose the shoulderpads and the weird underboob-thingy and it would be a pretty decent design. NRS LOVES its layered metal-stuff... so silly :D

"To clarify, Beran’s insinuation about the art team targeting clothing and costumes that are more realistic for combat is not true. Keep in mind that all of the male fighters in Mortal Kombat 11 have shirtless or pantsless options, as demonstrated in the images below."

I hate SJWs :( Everything they do doesn't make any sense, like for example what i just quote.

I'm a progressive leftist, & even I think that censorship on characters within gaming has gone completely out of hand.

Publishers/Developers should be able to make whatever games/characters that they want to make.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Unfortunately everyone wants to ‘appear’ politically correct these days (even if that is not true behind closed doors). You darent say that you voted Brexit or support Trump even though, in both cases, the majority voted for them. Everyone is towing the line now, you see it all over social media.

The other big politically correct impact we are seeing in games is the de-sexualisation of female characters, we should be thankful they haven’t gone even further and made MK’s women look featureless and gender neutral. Apex is an example of this, Bangalore looks neutral to the point of being hard to tell what gender she is. Her body type is completely featureless, made more so by the armour. Then we have Wraith, she looks female, and you can just about make out her feminine figure under all the heavy clothing they have covered her with. Finally Lifeline, the most feminine of all but also the token black character. It’s all so forced it’s embarrassing.

llien

Eat this, tit gazers!
Look how free and un-objectified women in, allegedly "not free" countries are:

This is, of course, trolling, by the famous creator of #wrongskin (former Godfrey Elfwick), who had quite a number of hilarious pieces in the past.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

8jko6fson6j21.jpg

This is what I mean when I say MK11 went to the total opposite extreme. Even Jade's arms are covered. Like damn man. I some what get what some posters here are saying. WB went too far. No way the devs wanted Jade to look exactly like that. I mean EVEN HER HANDS ARE COVERED!!!:messenger_fearful:

This is a nice outfit if you uncover her hands and arms. And make it a midriff top to expose her belly button.

Barnabot

This is what I mean when I say MK11 went to the total opposite extreme. Even Jade's arms are covered. Like damn man. I some what get what some posters here are saying. WB went too far. No way the devs wanted Jade to look exactly like that. I mean EVEN HER HANDS ARE COVERED!!!:messenger_fearful:

This is a nice outfit if you uncover her hands and arms. And make it a midriff top to expose her belly button.

Then no sugar for you - NR. Sorry. :messenger_crying:

Gamernyc78

Banned
And just like that these devs lost a sale off of principle. Funny shit is the demographic they are trying to please aren't the ones buying most of their games. I hate pussy, political shit like this. You wanna ride with sjw? I'm going to speak with my wallet no matter how good your game is.

Last edited:

Barnabot

I think I saw classic Sonya costume. But it was so shy to show itself. So afraid of being exposed.

Qkmj1VG.jpg

Maybe you can pull a costume like that but only through god-knows how many levels of customization.

Last edited:
I really can’t believe this thread has made it to this many comments over women not wearing sexy lingerie in a video game. The dudes are beefy but they’re not in their under wear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom