• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More SEGA Mega Drive Mini 2 games announced, including both Lunar SEGA CD games

Bullet Club

More SEGA Mega Drive Mini 2 games announced, including both Lunar SEGA CD games​

Another live stream has taken place in which more SEGA Mega Drive Mini 2 games have been revealed! In addition to the games announced, we got our first look at both the SEGA Genesis Mini 2 and Mega Drive Mini 2 side by side with their packaging. So what games did SEGA reveal
  • Alien Soldier
  • Final Fight CD (MEGA CD)
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Garoudensetsu 2
  • Aa Harimanada
  • Katayama Masayuki no Mahjong Dojo
  • Lunar: The Silver Star (MEGA CD)
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue (MEGA CD)
  • Wondermega Collection: Game Garden (MEGA CD)
  • Spatter aka Sanrin San-Chan
Aside from Alien Soldier, which had been previously announced outside of this series of reveals, none of the new titles are the ones we saw revealed on Wednesday for the SEGA Genesis Mini 2. It is possible both Lunar games see release on the American model, as they had english translations, but nothing has been confirmed as of yet. Game Garden is a compilation of four games from Wondermega Collection, a sample disc bundled with Wondermega consoles. The games are: Paddle Fighter, Flicky, Pyramid Magic and Quiz Scramble. Spatter aka Sanrin San-Chan appears to be a new Mega Drive version of the System 1 arcade game, proof that SEGA and M2 are not done revealing new surprises.

The next set of reveals is planned for August 11th.

If you want the full list of titles so far, they are as follows:

SEGA Mega Drive Mini 2

• Silpheed – MEGA CD
  • Shining Force CD – MEGA CD
  • Sonic CD – MEGA CD
  • Yumemi Yataka no Monogatari! (Mansion of Hidden Souls) – MEGA CD
  • Popful Mail – MEGA CD
  • Final Fight CD – MEGA CD
  • Lunar: The Silver Star – MEGA CD
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue – MEGA CD
  • Wondermega Collection: Game Garden – MEGA CD
  • Night Striker – MEGA CD
  • The Ninja Warriors- MEGA CD
  • Starblade – MEGA CD
  • Virtua Racing
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Thunder Force IV
  • Magical Taruruuto-kun
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Alien Soldier
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Garoudensetsu 2
  • Aa Harimanada
  • Katayama Masayuki no Mahjong Dojo
  • Spatter aka Sanrin San-Chan
  • OutRun
  • After Burner II
  • Splatterhouse Part 2
  • Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
  • Megapanel
  • Puzzle & Action
  • Columns III
  • Star Mobile
SEGA Genesis Mini 2

• Silpheed – MEGA CD
  • Shining Force CD – MEGA CD
  • Sonic CD – MEGA CD
  • Mansion of Hidden Souls – MEGA CD
  • Night Striker – MEGA CD
  • The Ninja Warriors – MEGA CD
  • Virtua Racing
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Lightening Force/Thunder Force IV
  • OutRun
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Alien Soldier
  • After Burner II
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Rainbow Islands Extra
  • OutRunners
  • Super Hang-On
  • VectorMan 2
  • The Ooze
  • Rolling Thunder 2
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Star Mobile
Source: Sega Bits

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Not sure how well Lunar 1&2 have aged, but man it’s almost worth playing 1 for the soundtrack alone. It was a huge bummer that they changed it for the PS1 remake.

Sadly last time I tried 1 was about 15 years ago and I found the encounter rate to be insufferable.

Full OST is here if you’re interested (the entire thing is only like 30 minutes since it’s redbook audio)

Not sure how well Lunar 1&2 have aged, but man it’s almost worth playing 1 for the soundtrack alone. It was a huge bummer that they changed it for the PS1 remake.

Sadly last time I tried 1 was about 15 years ago and I found the encounter rate to be insufferable.

Full OST is here if you’re interested (the entire thing is only like 30 minutes since it’s redbook audio)

Remember, Ruby bash Zophar first form is weaker than Borgan.... which is kind of ture.

RAIDEN1

....But NO Snatcher....a HUGE omission....and the other point being, why in the world would you want Final Fight CD, when Streets of Rage 1 AND 2 are better....and on top of that including Super Streetfighter 2 only reminds you that what if there was a Super Streetfighter 2 CD? With CD Red-book audio or audio on par with the 3DO version, that would certainly have been something and would have taken sales of the original CD add on to "Super" levels!!

Naked Lunch

There's been so many Mega Drive/Genesis Collections, and Genesis mini consoles - all with slightly different game selections - they all just blend together at this point.
I would much prefer just have downloadable titles on modern consoles - or something like Capcom Arcade Stadium.
Let us download the Lunar games individually for example.

Shifty1897

So will the Genesis Mini 2 include the Phantasy Stars / Shining Forces or should I just buy the first Genesis Mini for those?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

radewagon

....But NO Snatcher....a HUGE omission....and the other point being, why in the world would you want Final Fight CD, when Streets of Rage 1 AND 2 are better....and on top of that including Super Streetfighter 2 only reminds you that what if there was a Super Streetfighter 2 CD? With CD Red-book audio or audio on par with the 3DO version, that would certainly have been something and would have taken sales of the original CD add on to "Super" levels!!
I agree with Snatcher's absence being unfortunate. However, the addition of Final Fight CD is awesome. While Streets of Rage 2 is probably better (Not part 1, LOL), SOR2 was already on the first Genesis Mini so I can understand them not putting it here as well. But back to Final Fight CD. Back when it was released, outside of the arcade, it was the single best way to experience the game. The SNES never even got a complete version of the game and instead got two separate releases where neither one had the full character roster available. The Sega CD version is highly regarded and commands high prices on ebay. It is, like I said, awesome and I am pretty stoked to see its inclusion.

RAIDEN1

I agree with Snatcher's absence being unfortunate. However, the addition of Final Fight CD is awesome. While Streets of Rage 2 is probably better (Not part 1, LOL), SOR2 was already on the first Genesis Mini so I can understand them not putting it here as well. But back to Final Fight CD. Back when it was released, outside of the arcade, it was the single best way to experience the game. The SNES never even got a complete version of the game and instead got two separate releases where neither one had the full character roster available. The Sega CD version is highly regarded and commands high prices on ebay. It is, like I said, awesome and I am pretty stoked to see its inclusion.
Yeah but imagine you are Sega though, you had a choice of either getting Final Fight or a one-on-one fighter that was a game-changer, why not go with a title that at the time you don't have a strong showing in, a title that sold bucket-loads on the SNES would do wonders for sale numbers on the Sega CD....instead Super Streetfighter 2 on the genesis only got better once the fans came in and made the edits more than 25 years later, Capcom brings a port with poor audio voice samples...it was nowhere near at the time the definitive edition..(not that it proclaimed to be I know..)

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

The Ninja Warriors on Sega CD was a good port at the time, but I think it got more playtime in my car’s CD player. 😅

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

If the western version contains Lunar and Snatcher, I'll bite. Final Fight CD is awesome addition by the way.

Regarding Lunar, I have never played the original on Sega CD but I did play EB. I think EB was better than the PSX/Saturn version.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Only Sega CD that's worth it.
V5oPojJ.jpg

Fredrik

No Shinobi?
Shinobi 3 was the type of game I always wanted on SNES, a friend had a Megadrive and I had him record a playthrough on VHS for me so I could watch and dream.

Vyse

Gold Member
Still have both of the Lunar CD games in my garage. Should see if I can get my OG Genesis with CD to work. Haven’t fired up in years.

lachesis

Just pre-ordered one for Genesis ver. Hope we'll get some good ones filled up for it. Some of the JP games that I don't care too much about... but I would love to see Popful Mail and some other Working Design games added like JP ver...

Biggest issue with this is Segas has spammed as well as allowing third-parties to spam, these compilations so much that they run into the Atari issue of burnout interest.

At least the new Atari collection shook things up including Lynx, 7800, and Jaguar games, Sega should do the same with master System, GG, and Saturn games.

Fox Mulder

Does it really matter? This will be hacked immediately like the last Genesis mini I put like 100 games on. I’m still buying this as it’s the Genesis model I had as a kid and nostalgic for.

Isa

Gold Member
I really hope we get the Lunars here in the west. Seriously some top tier games right there. I had the PS1 versions but gave them to my sister when I moved out and she got married. I'd love to play them as they were originally. Also need some Popful Mail love and hell anything WD related. Come on Sega!

RAIDEN1

Maybe Konami and Kojima combined said no? Also it got me thinking imagine if Policenauts had released onto the Mega CD as well? If that came as a pack-in with this for the first time ever a official western release....

Bullet Club

Maybe Konami and Kojima combined said no? Also it got me thinking imagine if Policenauts had released onto the Mega CD as well? If that came as a pack-in with this for the first time ever a official western release....
It came out on the PC Engine/TG16 Mini. That was a Konami owned mini though and the game wasn't in English, but I don't see why they wouldn't want it on the MD Mini, especially Kojima.

Top Bottom