• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Rumblings of a Sega Buyout??

Hudo

Better get ready for SMT, Persona and Yakuza to become Xbox exclusives. I bet that would go over well in Japan.
Ironically, that would mean that both Persona and SMT would get released on more platforms as they would right now. Atlus have no reason to act as if they're a second-party dev. They're third party and it's high time for them to release their games on more than one platform. If Sony want a JRPG, they could fund Japan Studio for once and let them take on a bigger project instead of treating that studio like some internal outsource developer.

TLZ

Banned
Right now, pretty much any structural move by the company is going to further the notion of a potential acquisition, but the Metro article is a bit misleading.

SEGA SAMMY Holdings (the main parent company) merged the remaining two SEGA businesses into a single company, SEGA Corp., and dissolved any shared administrative functionality between the SEGA business and their other company, Sammy Corp. Even under the new structure, the SEGA business still has responsibility for creating arcade & certain amusement machines, while Sammy remains focused on pachinko, pachislot, etc. and their related operations.

As for Nagoshi, his title is now Creative Director. In all likelihood, with the combined SEGA company, it probably no longer made sense for him to sit on the board of directors, which is now all business executives and not creatives. For clarity, the company currently recognizes three boards: the parent company, SEGA, and Sammy. Nagoshi always sat on one of the SEGA boards and was not a director of the main, listed parent company.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

RAIDEN1

Sega needs to return to console making.
Well clearly after having only a one-hit wonder with in the Genesis/Megadrive, and then the Dreamcast party being over before you know it, Sega just couldn't nail the number 1 spot against the competition...

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Ironically, that would mean that both Persona and SMT would get released on more platforms as they would right now. Atlus have no reason to act as if they're a second-party dev. They're third party and it's high time for them to release their games on more than one platform. If Sony want a JRPG, they could fund Japan Studio for once and let them take on a bigger project instead of treating that studio like some internal outsource developer.

They have a reason.

They want to. That's all the reason a developer needs to release games on whatever the heck of a platform they want to. Developers don't owe you ports to other platforms whether they're first, second, or third-party, you know?

It's amazing that some people don't understand that supporting all platforms isn't some sort of sacred duty for third-party developers. Some simply prefer to focus on their platform of choice for a given game, and that's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
uhm, the PC is getting increasingly popular in Japan and Asia in general, while the PlayStation brand gets less and less popular.

so these franchises would be absolutely fine on PC even if the Xbox stays as ignored as it did so far.

and these games also sell well on PC in the west.
While PC gaming is king in Asia, its still too niche in the Japanese market

like seriously, MHW sold like 100k on pc, and League of Legends isnt even a thing in japan lol

Hudo

They have a reason.

They want to. That's all the reason a developer needs to release games on whatever the heck of a platform they want to. Developers don't owe you ports to other platforms whether they're first, second, or third-party, you know?

It's amazing that some people don't understand that supporting all platforms isn't some sort of sacred duty for third-party developers. Some simply prefer to focus on their platform of choice for a given game, and that's perfectly fine.
That is only the case for privately owned companies. Atlus is a publicly traded company who has to answer its shareholders (or rather Sega's shareholders). So are you saying that they intend to maximize profit by purposefully disregarding other platforms?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That is only the case for privately owned companies. Atlus is a publicly traded company who has to answer its shareholders (or rather Sega's shareholders). So are you saying that they intend to maximize profit by purposefully disregarding other platforms?

That's as silly and simplistic as it gets. There are a lot more factors to profitability than simply releasing games on every toaster available. Ports have a cost. They also require development resources that a developer might prefer to use on new games instead (generating more profit). On top of that, there are likely deals in place with first-parties that help finance development (massively improving margins).

I'm fairly positive that Atlus is a very profitable company. That's all shareholders need to be concerned with.

But hey, keep up the port begging. It's always funny to see. 😂

Last edited:

Hudo

That's as silly and simplistic as it gets. There are a lot more factors to profitability than simply releasing games on every toaster available. Ports have a cost. They also require development resources that a developer might prefer to use on new games instead (generating more profit). On top of that, there are likely deals in place with first-parties that help finance development (massively improving margins).

I'm fairly positive that Atlus is a very profitable company. That's all shareholders need to be concerned with.

Why are you so antagonistic? I am aware that Atlus' in-house engine before they went with UE4 was apparently held together buy prayers and duct tape (as suggested in one of the first interviews regarding Shin Megami Tensei V, where the producer praised UE4 for being able to hot swap assets without the need to recompile, etc.) So I guess that played a heavy part in why there was platform exclusivity with their previous titles. However, with now apparently being open to third-party engines like Unreal, there is little to suggest that ports to other platform might be so costly, on the contrary, one of the main reasons why a developer might choose a third-party engine is exactly that these have development pipelines set up for multiplatform development.

But OK, continue to mock me if it makes you feel better.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Why are you so antagonistic? I am aware that Atlus' in-house engine before they went with UE4 was apparently held together buy prayers and duct tape (as suggested in one of the first interviews regarding Shin Megami Tensei V, where the producer praised UE4 for being able to hot swap assets without the need to recompile, etc.) So I guess that played a heavy part in why there was platform exclusivity with their previous titles. However, with now apparently being open to third-party engines like Unreal, there is little to suggest that ports to other platform might be so costly, on the contrary, one of the main reasons why a developer might choose a third-party engine is exactly that these have development pipelines set up for multiplatform development.

But OK, continue to mock me if it makes you feel better.

Because port begging is ludicrous, especially from those who sound like they think developers owe them ports. They don't. Simple as that.

Hudo

Because port begging is ludicrous, especially from those who sound like they think developers owe them ports. They don't. Simple as that.
Sure but I never port begged? I voiced my confusion about their business practices and largely about temporary third-party exclusives instead of platform holders investing that money in boosting their first-party. If I really want to play a game, I just go buy the platform if it's worth it. But the practice of buying temporary exclusives helps no one. Instead, third-party stuff should reach as many people as it is possible (for the budget a developer has) and Platform holders should rather invest money for more first-party games, so everyone wins.

Port begging would require being "loyal" to a platform or a company , which is probably the most idiotic thing an adult can do.

ksdixon

Restructurings happen after an acquisition often than before. This is just clickbait.

Sometimes it's done before to clear the pathway. See: Turner killing WCW's TV deal because Viacom balked at Mcmahon buying WCW and running a WCW TV show in the same time slot as WWF RAW on a competing channel.

Last edited:

driqe

zoom in chesapeake shores GIF by Hallmark Channel

Dane

Heh, funny is that they announced the Bethesda acquisition... in a Monday, 8 AM EST.

EDIT: Sounds like for brazil they slipped Ubisoft games

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo buy out sega. For ultimate revenge put the 8/16 bit wars to bed. Dance on their graves and make better sonic games then sega ever could. Hahahahahhaajahhaha

No the ptsd is back from the old console wars.

Last edited:

Alex Scott

That’s over the whole company not just the gaming division where as Microsoft has that over a quarter for the whole company.
Sony will
Invest in new tech for TVs and other gadgets with that money going forward. Yes huge possibility of new game studios to but it’s on a different level to what Microsoft can do
Cash on Hand is not for operating the company. It is usually reserve for economic hardship like recession. Also Sony is Japanese company so they like to horde cash

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Dude, you see what you want. This was not port begging. This was an opinion on Atlus' practices based on Sony's practices. But ok, fuck it. You win.

Sony's practices?

You do understand that Atlus often makes games for single platforms, but it's not just Sony's platforms, right? It's funny because you went from mentioning Shin Megami Tensei to complaining about Sony in the same paragraph.

Or when it's Nintendo's platforms only it's ok in your view? 😂

Xcloud is gonna be their big push into Japanese gaming markets. Need to have something worthwhile to play on your phone. Enter sega rts and atlus rpg

Hudo

Sony's practices?

You do understand that Atlus often makes games for single platforms, but it's not just Sony's platforms, right? It's funny because you went from mentioning Shin Megami Tensei to complaining about Sony in the same paragraph.

Or when it's Nintendo's platforms only it's ok in your view? 😂
Sure :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Halo0629

Well that would suck since some of the sega game's home and fanbase has always been on both the playstation/nintendo.

Top Bottom