• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Rumblings of a Sega Buyout??

Banned
My sources tell me it's on Wednesday.

on a more serious note, if they actually acquire Sega, then I expect Dreamcast and Saturn BC.

I was honestly hoping for at least Dreamcast BC no matter if they or if they don't buy them.
make the once planned og Xbox feature finally a real feature 3 generations later! (or 2 if the XBO also gets it)

but then again... I literally played Marvel vs. Capcom 2 an hour ago on an Xbox One (I set up retroarch for a friend on his XBO) soooooo... we already got it, kinda lol
at this point, making EVERY SINGLE Sega Xbox game BC would be more ofa big deal for me as I can easily play DC games on my Series X or One X if I want to.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY JSRF AT 1920p ON MY FREAKING SERIES X!

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I wonder how this would work in terms of IPs like who would own Sega rally? The arcade division or the console division
Same with crazy taxi

Right now, pretty much any structural move by the company is going to further the notion of a potential acquisition, but the Metro article is a bit misleading.

SEGA SAMMY Holdings (the main parent company) merged the remaining two SEGA businesses into a single company, SEGA Corp., and dissolved any shared administrative functionality between the SEGA business and their other company, Sammy Corp. Even under the new structure, the SEGA business still has responsibility for creating arcade & certain amusement machines, while Sammy remains focused on pachinko, pachislot, etc. and their related operations.

As for Nagoshi, his title is now Creative Director. In all likelihood, with the combined SEGA company, it probably no longer made sense for him to sit on the board of directors, which is now all business executives and not creatives. For clarity, the company currently recognizes three boards: the parent company, SEGA, and Sammy. Nagoshi always sat on one of the SEGA boards and was not a director of the main, listed parent company.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
According to this site https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SNE/sony/cash-on-hand Sony has around $41.593B on hand.
Will Sony spend that money on acquisitions or spend that money on improving its own studio is up in the air.
That’s over the whole company not just the gaming division where as Microsoft has that over a quarter for the whole company.
Sony will
Invest in new tech for TVs and other gadgets with that money going forward. Yes huge possibility of new game studios to but it’s on a different level to what Microsoft can do

VAVA Mk2

Microsoft walking to the negotiation table on Wednesday

vince mcmahon GIF

Last edited:

Banned
It would also effectively kill all three franchises. But that's a small price to pay if it allows Microsoft to double their market share in Japan. 0.2% here we come!

uhm, the PC is getting increasingly popular in Japan and Asia in general, while the PlayStation brand gets less and less popular.

so these franchises would be absolutely fine on PC even if the Xbox stays as ignored as it did so far.

and these games also sell well on PC in the west.

Eanox

uhm, the PC is getting increasingly popular in Japan and Asia in general, while the PlayStation brand gets less and less popular.

so these franchises would be absolutely fine on PC even if the Xbox stays as ignored as it did so far.

It’s the other away around. PS is gaining popularity in Asia outside Japan especially SEA. PC is always a go to machine for gaming in Asia ever since Because of the popularity of MMOs and Moba and other FPS games.
Internet cafes are widely popular in Asia but it is slowly being killed by the popularity of Mobile gaming. The rise of MOBA, MMO and gacha games in mobile is the new trend in Asia.

teezzy

Banned
If so, Microsoft would be fucking retarded not to cash in.

Imagine having Sonic, Banjo and Blinx all under the same roof.

Where's my kart racer you ******s?

Got any sales data comparisons for console and PC versions of the same game in Japan?

Yeah, and they sell primarily to people who want localized ports of Japanese games made for a Japanese audience. If the games lose the Japanese target audience they were originally made for, they're quickly going to turn into something else entirely. At that point they'd only technically be alive.

Banned
Got any sales data comparisons for console and PC versions of the same game in Japan?

Yeah, and they sell primarily to people who want localized ports of Japanese games made for a Japanese audience. If the games lose the Japanese target audience they were originally made for, they're quickly going to turn into something else entirely. At that point they'd only technically be alive.

why wouldn't they be made for a Japanese audience anymore? again, PCs are very popular nowadays.
then you got xCloud which if handled correctly could become popular in japan (very good internet and the mobile factor)

if Microsoft buys a Japanese company they will surely do so in order to get exactly what they're missing, Japanese style games.

but also don't forget that Sega also always catered to the west most so than most Japanese publishers, so that's also not unlike Sega to do both.

why wouldn't they be made for a Japanese audience anymore? again, PCs are very popular nowadays.
Again, do you have any stats? How well do PC versions of games available on console sell in Japan?

then you got xCloud which if handled correctly could become popular in japan (very good internet and the mobile factor)

if Microsoft buys a Japanese company they will surely do so in order to get exactly what they're missing, Japanese style games.
Microsoft has a terrible track record when it comes to handling anything Japan related, so for now my money is on them either doing nothing, or throwing a few millions at the issue to show they "care about the market" before calling it quits.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It seems major shake-ups are taking place at Sega: it's video game and amusement division are splitting up, and according to Famitsu - Toshihiro Nagoshi creator of Yakuza series is stepping down from his role as chief creative officer:

More here: https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/29/sega...-spark-baseless-acquisition-rumours-13989699/

Lol @ Metro.

This kind of restructuring signals the literal opposite of the intention to sell. You don't restructure your company's managerial slate only to sell and require another inevitable restructuring.

But hey, whatever gets them clicks from sad console warriors, I guess.

For those who have been paying attention to facts and not 4chan, this is simply the result of Haruki Satomi's effort to bring the company into the 21'st century. They've been going on for several years and it was obvious that he'd become CEO before long, and he's streamlining one of the most convoluted corporate structures in the Japanese gaming industry in the process.

PS: to anyone saying the "Sony makes more sense" bull, you know what makes the most sense? Sega remains independent and keeps making its games for everyone instead of pigeonholing itself into a single platform.

Last edited:
I always felt that Sony buying SEGA made more sense. Combining some of their Japanese studios together might reinvigorate them.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I still think Microsoft would a bad fit for Sega for the obvious reasons. I think that acquisition would be detrimental to Sega or any Japanese company in the long term. We’ll see what happens.

e&e

Banned
This was meant to be anyways since they were the first company Sega put Sonic with after they went under iirc...

Last edited:

Meesh

This is just so mind blowing if true!
Historical, mad facking historical. Just think, in an old school gamers point if view, like myself, it's almost poetic. How an American gaming giant that has been struggling against the Japanese market could come to aquire what I consider one of the crown jewels of gaming and game history.

Here's a thought, maybe buying Sega somehow portends to an Xbox portable at some point putting Segas rich catalogue on their VC.

If they get sega I’m probably out of gaming for good. No way MS owning all these game studios leads to anything more than watching them end up on life support for years on end shadows of their former selves.
You can still play on PlayStation though... Xbox gamers will be getting games, games, games every 1 or 2 months.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Better get ready for SMT, Persona and Yakuza to become Xbox exclusives. I bet that would go over well in Japan.

I don't even give a shit. Long as they come to PC and MS has made some of their games available on the Switch. So we could still see something like that, IF they procure Sega.

Top Bottom