• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Nintendo Smartphone Games Are Currently in the Works, According to Furukawa

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During the Q&A segment of the Financial Results conference call with investors, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa stated that more Nintendo smartphone games are in development, while the company will also focus on maintaining the six current games available. That said, nothing new was announced during the conference call itself.

Speaking on Nintendo’s stance towards smartphone games, Furukawa reiterated that rather than developing many different smartphone games to release onto the market, Nintendo hopes to use the platform to further promote the company’s IP so that it can maximize its business. The direct goal of the company’s smartphone ventures are so that more customers are able to learn more and play games related to existing IP, with Super Mario Run and Mario Kart Tour listed as examples.

Furukawa also revealed that Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp had a spike in new players and active users during the launch period of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp has been able to help the IP become more active, and reveal more hidden potential customers who may be interested in buying Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Furukawa ended by saying that Nintendo doesn’t expect there to be a large increase in profits on the smartphone business end.

Rat Rage

giphy.webp

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yay. Not.

The extent of my interest in these progressively worse, more outrageously predatory games, is funding Nintendo’s console endeavors, and sticking it to all the people who complained about a $10 flat fee for Super Mario Run. Enjoy your microtransaction hell.

But then again, they probably will. (Facepalm)

Shaqazooloo

I mean, we already know that they have a Zelda mobile game on the way so that's not exactly news.

So far I've really enjoyed Fire Emblem Heroes and to a far lesser extent Mario Kart Tour, I'll never spend money on the latter though, I haven't enjoyed that much. Fire Emblem is fun enough for me to feel comfortable throwing a couple dollars their way every so often.

I dont know how Zelda will turn out, doesnt exactly seem mobile friendly, similar to 2D Mario Platformer.

Eevee86

As long as their main devs aren't involved, doesn't really matter to me. Fire Emblem and Pokemon Masters were fun for a while though.

D.Final

Banned

During the Q&A segment of the Financial Results conference call with investors, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa stated that more Nintendo smartphone games are in development, while the company will also focus on maintaining the six current games available. That said, nothing new was announced during the conference call itself.

Speaking on Nintendo’s stance towards smartphone games, Furukawa reiterated that rather than developing many different smartphone games to release onto the market, Nintendo hopes to use the platform to further promote the company’s IP so that it can maximize its business. The direct goal of the company’s smartphone ventures are so that more customers are able to learn more and play games related to existing IP, with Super Mario Run and Mario Kart Tour listed as examples.

Furukawa also revealed that Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp had a spike in new players and active users during the launch period of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp has been able to help the IP become more active, and reveal more hidden potential customers who may be interested in buying Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Furukawa ended by saying that Nintendo doesn’t expect there to be a large increase in profits on the smartphone business end.

I'm not surprised by this.
I'm expecting a new Wario mobile game pretty soon.

Top Bottom