• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mature Games

OrionNebula

In your opinion, what is the real reason we barely ever get even more mature type of videogames?

Ignore the fact that a large number of games tend to fall onto super violent and gory territory, where characters act like mass murderers without any type of remorse or don’t even have questionning for their own brutal actions, and let’s focus instead on different types of mature subjects, like sex and relationship

There are the obvious reasons for barely ever getting a game where people have sexual relations (or barely ever sex-related/relationship-related subject games, and when we do, it’s kind of brought up with non-realistic graphics, à-la-Catherine), as this would basically cut off a huge chunk of gamers solely based on age alone, but wouldn’t there be a market, still, for those types of games, in this day and age ? Demographics shows there’s a lot, lot more ‘’older’’ gamers out there nowadays

If you go with one of the closest comparison, which are movies, even though films rated PG or 13+ tend to bring a lot more than a rated R film at the box office, there’s still a very profitable market for more mature-oriented films, still

So what is still stopping gaming to tap (yes yes I said tap, haha iz funny) into this territory?

You guys go ahead and start posting your pics of Abby, and get out of your system all your pee-pee and vagine jokes, but I’m interested to see why you think gaming tends to refrain from heading towards this nowadays

THEAP99

Banned
I think it's because gamers are an immature audience that struggle with concepts and stories that challenge their viewpoints or the norm.

Example being, the last of us part 2, even death stranding.

Some game developers are growing up, but gamers simply aren't, they're stuck in the teenage years even if they're actually like 30.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I hear the new Bloodline game is supposed to be mature. Mature games definitely became less common as the audience for video games expanded. More $$$.

Always about more $$$.

Everyone who makes and plays video games are manchildren
catch me outside GIF

OrionNebula

I think it's because gamers are an immature audience that struggle with concepts and stories that challenge their viewpoints or the norm.

Some game developers are growing up, but gamers simply aren't, they're stuck in the teenage years even if they're actually like 30.
Following GAF tradition, first post nails it 👍

(yes yes, I said nail haha iz funny)

YukiOnna

Even if I try to look at it objectively, I don't think it translates to video games that well. Nor can I see how that would be an interesting subject to cover especially in an interactive media in the first place so it just creates a small niche that's not worth investing in. I certainly don't want it unless you can make it light-hearted (comedic, etc) where it's easier to chew on. FWIW I've never liked it in movies either.

Vol5

Watch video game characters fuck? Sounds hilariously bad.

There's a decent amount of video games that infer sex or sexual relationships which I'm fine with just not the act itself. It doesn't translate well or get me off in any way...

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

Most gamers didn’t like Death Stranding’s story because the undertones held a mirror to them I feel.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
And you have no issue exploring those themed through films, books, tv shows, etc?

If so, what exactly differenciates this from gaming? I didn’t say you have to press x to fuck, but just for the themes to be there and have a larger impact on the story?

No it's fine either way. I just like my themes subtle and not get in the way of gameplay. I'm more than fine with more mature/complex themes but in the end it's how they're implemented I guess. Sorry I'm tired lol can't think for shit =P

kyliethicc

In your opinion, what is the real reason we barely ever get even more mature type of videogames?

Ignore the fact that a large number of games tend to fall onto super violent and gory territory, where characters act like mass murderers without any type of remorse or don’t even have questionning for their own brutal actions, and let’s focus instead on different types of mature subjects, like sex and relationship

There are the obvious reasons for barely ever getting a game where people have sexual relations (or barely ever sex-related/relationship-related subject games, and when we do, it’s kind of brought up with non-realistic graphics, à-la-Catherine), as this would basically cut off a huge chunk of gamers solely based on age alone, but wouldn’t there be a market, still, for those types of games, in this day and age ? Demographics shows there’s a lot, lot more ‘’older’’ gamers out there nowadays

If you go with one of the closest comparison, which are movies, even though films rated PG or 13+ tend to bring a lot more than a rated R film at the box office, there’s still a very profitable market for more mature-oriented films, still

So what is still stopping gaming to tap (yes yes I said tap, haha iz funny) into this territory?

You guys go ahead and start posting your pics of Abby, and get out of your system all your pee-pee and vagine jokes, but I’m interested to see why you think gaming tends to refrain from heading towards this nowadays
Because when any games try to go beyond the usual basic "fun" ideas, a bunch of people get vocally angry and criticize said games for trying to explore any ideas beyond just "shoot, run and or jump."

OrionNebula

Even if I try to look at it objectively, I don't think it translates to video games that well. Nor can I see how that would be an interesting subject to cover especially in an interactive media in the first place so it just creates a small niche that's not worth investing in. I certainly don't want it unless you can make it light-hearted (comedic, etc) where it's easier to chew on. FWIW I've never liked it in movies either.
That’s very understandable, too
However, wouldn’t you at least agree there should be a market for this, even if niche?

I mean, David Lynch has been making movies for 40-50 years, now? Most of them are very niche, and not bring home the big bucks (although, those films do not have blockbuster budget)

There should also he a way to bring it up so it fits in context, as well as done properly, that’s for sure

I haven’t played it yet, but a title like ‘12 Minutes’ would appear, at least at first glance, like a vehicle that could have touched on the subject, without making it a focal point

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Mostly true yes. But I also think that most gamers are simply not really that interested in playing games that remind them of real life stuff and prefer their escapism more fantastical. I mean, I like complex thought provoking movies (or something), real life relationship drama movies? Not so much =)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When I sit down at the end of the day to unwind with a video game, I don’t want to experience some deep, mature, realistic story about believable relationships and the human condition. I mostly just want to feel like a badass who runs around hitting things with a sword.

if I want serious, mature drama, then movies, TV, books are great for that. That’s not what I want from a video game.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's to appeal to a wider audience. To make things easy to digest for everyone. To make it simple.
A bit like in the movies. Except that in cinema there's an incentive to make a few movies with deep adult themes, for the Oscars and Cannes.

OrionNebula

Because when any games try to go beyond the usual basic "fun" ideas, a bunch of people get vocally angry and criticize said games for trying to explore any ideas beyond just "shoot, run and or jump."
I definitely agree on that based on people I know

However, those games would not be for them, anyway

OrionNebula

Most gamers didn’t like Death Stranding’s story because the undertones held a mirror to them I feel.
Is that a fact?
Honestly asking, I haven’t played it yet

even in this thread there are morons who actually think Heavy Rain is mature.
And that’s coming from someone who calls people morons on a gaming message board

You are right, violence against women, attempt to sexually abuse, kidnapping children, torture. Totally not mature subject. I think those themes are also explored in Mario Galaxy, but I could be wrong

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Look at how many complained that TLOU2 was too dark or depressing but what were they expecting?
I personally have zero problem game being dark and depressing, it was why I love Drakengard and SMT series. My problem with TLOU2 is it is has more character it has more death and it much more violent but none of it was as impactful as the first game, I mean most of side character in Part 2 die like flies but none of them was meaningful as death of Tess , Henry and Sam in the first game.

I felt the game was trying too hard to "shock" me rather meaningful story.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Is that a fact?
Honestly asking, I haven’t played it yet

Probably for some.

"I'm very prone to loneliness. I think there are similar people around the world - especially gamers. When they're alone playing video games in their living room, they don't feel like they fit into society or their community. So when people play this game they realize people like them exist all over the world. Knowing that even though I'm lonely, there are other people like me - and that makes you feel at ease. That's what I want people to feel when they play this game."

- Hideo Kojima about Death Stranding

Calling all brap fetishists! (Pseudo)Science has acknowledged your degeneracy!

yurinka

Most major retailers from USA and Japan didn't buy games with age rating that indicates explicit sex related mature content. I assume that when the percentage of digital games become something very high in console, developers and publishers will care less about retailers and age rating, and they will start introducing more nudity and sex once they notice that sex sells and that most of their audience is over 20 years old.

Another problem is that now companies are too worried about SJW who tell them that is problematic to have sexy or pretty female characters, heterosexual white males as main characters, etc.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

No it's fine either way. I just like my themes subtle and not get in the way of gameplay. I'm more than fine with more mature/complex themes but in the end it's how they're implemented I guess. Sorry I'm tired lol can't think for shit =P
No, I believe you are correct

It does feel weirder to see gaming characters having sex compared to movies. At no point during the movies you are actually in control of the person on-screen, so that may be a part of the reason why. You never truly feel connected to those characters on that level, even subconsiously

And the fact that you are into an interactive media with games is making it difficult to just suddenly sit as a spectator while fictionnal characters get to town on each other

I don’t really have an issue with the Abby scene in TLOU2, but that scene was not totally necessary IMO. Message could have gone through without it. It mostly just feels weird because 10 mins before I was ravaging brutally people and monsters, and 10 mins after I’m back at murdering everything on my path. It may not have been the most subtle approach to the message they were trying to pass

Woggleman

I imagine in that world people would have sex and that get back to murdering. Violence is part of their daily life so I can see getting a quicky in then back to killing scars.

Guilty_AI

We do get them, its just that:
1- Writing mature themes requires some degree of writing skills, something AAA market is really lacking.
2- More mature stories usually aren't a good fit with action packed games, which is what sells more.
3- For games with expensive productions, naturally most publishers will prefer safer approaches

OrionNebula

I personally have zero problem game being dark and depressing, it was why I love Drakengard and SMT series. My problem with TLOU2 is it is has more character it has more death and it much more violent but none of it was as impactful as the first game, I mean most of side character in Part 2 die like flies but none of them was meaningful as death of Tess , Henry and Sam in the first game.

I felt the game was trying too hard to "shock" me rather meaningful story.
Excellent point
In TLOU, it felt effortless in that regard

2 definitely had a more ‘’trying to be edgy’’ feel to it. It least that’s how I perceived it. I suppose it’s not the same for everybody

I usually look at subject matter or delivery of the subject. Fate of the world is a good example of a mature game from its subject matter while still delivering an actual game. Final fantasy 14 explores many mature themes throughout storm blood and even shadowbringers, and they often use college level diction, and journey explored life itself.

Violence, sex, and relationships are things fifteen year olds are capable of, and don't reflect a mature theme or subject.

OrionNebula

This is true but they still get mad that these games even exist. Look at how many complained that TLOU2 was too dark or depressing but what were they expecting? Go and play something else then. I don't get mad because Ratchet and Clank exists.
It’s no secret : gamers are king complainers

It simply seems impossible for a lot of them to see something they might not like or agree with, and just pass by it/ignore it, and just get on with their day. No. They have to let you know that they don’t like something. Some, multiple times. Per day
Rebels with a million causes

When I sit down at the end of the day to unwind with a video game, I don’t want to experience some deep, mature, realistic story about believable relationships and the human condition. I mostly just want to feel like a badass who runs around hitting things with a sword.

if I want serious, mature drama, then movies, TV, books are great for that. That’s not what I want from a video game.
I get that
After a hellish work day, I’d rather take it easy and re-watch some Brooklyn Nine Nine rather than giving Her or Punch Drunk Love a chance
But it’d be nice to have that option available for the days I do feel like watching something touching deeper subjects. And I’d love to have more than 5 options, too (and TLOU2 isn’t one of them)

I imagine in that world people would have sex and that get back to murdering. Violence is part of their daily life so I can see getting a quicky in then back to killing scars.
I can see that too, for TLOU2
Their way of life and society is very different than pretty much all of us nowadays

YukiOnna

That’s very understandable, too
However, wouldn’t you at least agree there should be a market for this, even if niche?

I mean, David Lynch has been making movies for 40-50 years, now? Most of them are very niche, and not bring home the big bucks (although, those films do not have blockbuster budget)

There should also he a way to bring it up so it fits in context, as well as done properly, that’s for sure

I haven’t played it yet, but a title like ‘12 Minutes’ would appear, at least at first glance, like a vehicle that could have touched on the subject, without making it a focal point
Yeah I agree with you. I think there's a market for everything tbh and nothing should be banned, I guess I was just looking at it from the AAA space rather than titles like 12 Minutes. If you look at it like that then I hope they continue making more- variety is good.
In the end, for your question in the OP it probably just boils down to consumer needs. But you have titles like SMT, Nier, TLOU or even GoW if you consider Kratos and Atreus character arc that have a breakthrough and keep people coming back for more because they blend it in well.

Bartski

Gold Member
I would love to see more games not shy away from exploring any difficult, dark and uneasy subject matter, and one day see something like This War of Mine done with an AAA budget.

Problem is that such themes severely limit their target audience which at modern budgets is something only a few studios can afford.

It really is about diversity in what this medium has to offer and it's ok to enjoy different flavors of it - we need those games as much as we need a new Astrobot.

OrionNebula

We do get them, its just that:
1- Writing mature themes requires some degree of writing skills, something AAA market is really lacking.
2- More mature stories usually aren't a good fit with action packed games, which is what sells more.
3- For games with expensive productions, naturally most publishers will prefer safer approaches
3 excellent points

However, if a AA games like Hellblade is able to do great, realistic-looking graphics, touch on a very heavy subject, and still have it an interesting gaming experience, I feel a more mature, relationship-oriented game could be a possibility in the future. Even welcomed

I’m not saying like a realistic version of It Takes Two, but some ideas from it could definitely be used for a more mature-themed game

Top Bottom