• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morbid Metal is a Game Developed By One Person and Looks Absolutely Stunning

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Morbid Metal may very well be a ways off from now. With a game that looks as intense as this, I wouldn't be surprised if we were still at least a couple years off from seeing it officially released. Even if they had a team of multiple super talented people behind the game. But this is an even more intensive situation with the game being developed by one single person, likely in their free time if they haven't secured some sort of major investment. This is totally fine with me, though. I think any video game should always take all the time it needs in the oven before being released and I have no interest in rushing it or looking into whether or not they're behind schedule.

Morbid Metal should take all the time it needs to become whatever it is it seems to be wanting to be. And I highly recommend that we all keep our eye out for more development on it. It might not shake up the entire video game landscape with any brand new innovative concepts or extremely expensive voice actors, but it does seem like it's going to satisfy a large swath of gamers who just want to turn on a game and jump into some stylish action for a few hours after work or maybe on the weekends. It certainly seems like the type of game for me, and if you like a little Nier Automata with your Samurai Jack, then odds are it'll be something that you may want to keep your eye on as well.

Pejo

This reminds me of that action game "Lost Soul Aside" that that one dude was making, and Sony picked him up and gave him resources......

And that game's still not out.

I think passion projects like these are fun to look at, but I'd be honestly surprised if it actually came out. I've been soured by Early Access milkers and Patreon-model development and Kickstarters that failed to deliver, so it's hard to get excited about anything until it's within release window.

Amiga

This reminds me of that action game "Lost Soul Aside" that that one dude was making, and Sony picked him up and gave him resources......

And that game's still not out.

I think passion projects like these are fun to look at, but I'd be honestly surprised if it actually came out. I've been soured by Early Access milkers and Patreon-model development and Kickstarters that failed to deliver, so it's hard to get excited about anything until it's within release window.

using 3rd party tools to create contained few minutes long recorded concepts is nothing like a full length structured game that should last several hours.

Reactions: Fbh

Pejo

using 3rd party tools to create contained few minutes long recorded concepts is nothing like a full length structured game that should last several hours.
Yep, I agree with you, which is why I don't get excited about concepts like these anymore. It looks cool, you can see the potential, but it's likely going to be vaporware. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I hope these 1 person dev action games get recognized by bigger companies. Companies like Bandai Namco could use a better combat director for some of their Non-Souls action games.

Keihart

Meh, can't see anything interesting design wise.
I mean, sure, it looks good as any modern game using stock assets but it's not like there is anything special about the combat shown nor the art direction.
Hardly impressive as something to look forward too.

Edit: I honestly find way more interesting stuff surfing itch.io games.

Last edited:

yurinka

Looks amazing, as a experienced dev I can tell you this guy is super talented.

Character design, modelling, texturing, animation, lighting, vfx, camera movement, timing of everything for the combos and so on, how it blends the different combat mechanics... it feels great, better than the job made by most teams with several experienced guys.

As prototype or vertical slice it looks stunning. This is one thing and to make an entire game is another. But to make something attractive with a short video is super difficult and this guy did it. I'm looking forward to see more of it.

Crazy what Engines which are available for free allows people to do.
Meh, can't see anything interesting design wise.
I mean, sure, it looks good as any modern game using stock assets but it's not like there is anything special about the combat shown nor the art direction.
Hardly impressive as something to look forward too.

Edit: I honestly find way more interesting stuff surfing itch.io games.

Bullshit, you have no idea of how complicated is to do that.

This demo required weeks or months of work and a lot of knowledge and talent. And its combat looks great for an action game.

Last edited:

Keihart

Looks amazing, as a experienced dev I can tell you this guy is super talented.

Character design, modelling, texturing, animation, lighting, vfx, camera movement, timing of everything for the combos and so on, how it blends the different combat mechanics... it feels great, better than the job made by most teams with several experienced guys.

As prototype or vertical slice it looks stunning. This is one thing and to make an entire game is another. But to make something attractive with a short video is super difficult and this guy did it. I'm looking forward to see more of it.

This demo required weeks or months of work and a lot of knowledge and talent. And its combat looks great for an action game.
I don't doubt that it required time. Talent? great? fun? now you are just reaching.

Amiga

You are making my point. it takes all this effort just to make a small contained demo. making a full game like this is a whole other category.

kiphalfton

One project I was super excited for was Earth's Special Forces (a Dragon Ball Z fan game). It LOOKED good a few years ago, but by today's standards it looks "meh" and it hasn't even released (if it ever will release). Not sure how many people are/were involved with that, or any of the other "games" made by small teams I've seen concept videos for, but realistically you need a TEAM to build a game. Art direction, animation, dialog, etc are all every important and take a long time and if the game ever does release, and if it was only made by one person, it's likely going to be lacking in some regard. If any one of those things I mentioned are lacking, the game is likely going to suck.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Crazy what Engines which are available for free allows people to do.
Now, when people said it is good we are giving devs a lot more processing power, storage speed, and RAM to use and abuse and were met with a “it is good that company N keeps older HW that helps keeps costs down by limiting the devs aims”… well this provides some good context in terms of what that performance can do.

More than just raising the ceiling of what AAAA can do (and where you need greater and greater performance jumps to see a difference), what I like is raising the floor of what small underfunded devs can achieve. Problem for most games is becoming content more and more: pretty graphics are lowering in costs (see what all these free engines can do), but more needs to be done in tooling to create game content.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I don't doubt that it required time. Talent? great? fun? now you are just reaching.
I agree, any fool could make something like this. The only reason that we don’t see more projects like this is because everyone else in the world realizes it is a waste of time.

I wish indie devs would stop aiming too high because they usually underdeliver.

There's a limit to how much content a single person can create for a game, and if you have to make fancy graphics + fancy animations + fancy sound and music, either all of those will end up being bland or the game will be really short and lack content to be enjoyed.
And when they aim low (platformer, sidescroller, walking simulator) all you get is "pass" or "zzzzzzzz" in chat.
There's really no winning with you guys.

jigglet

Banned
just for the lolz, a 1 man indie company should hire a dedicated HR person just to maintain diversity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom