• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morale at Mixer is low, and new management is making it worse, employee says.

Can you show me where Windows central says they are killing Mixer Support?

The article and the Op aren’t on the same thing and we already had a thread on the low morale.

Nowhere, of course. But, yeah, OP overreacted a little bit. But i thought that your post was related to article too. My bad,

octiny

Banned
Repost.

Also, Mixer isn't going anywhere & still on dashboard.

Edit: Thanks to whoever merged the threads (y)

Last edited:

element

I honestly enjoyed their homegrown content, as it was something that Twitch was not doing. But they ditched that and paid big streamers to try to get a larger audience and sadly it appears to have done nothing.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That's the point of the new dashboard, you can remove literally everything. So you have only the content you want. You can remove the store, does that mean that Microsoft killed the store?
You cannot remove the store. It is always present on the dashboard screen as the last item to the right of the your last five recently opened apps. It is "hidden" making you think you opened it, but you didn't. I just opened 7 games in a row and the thing is still there.

Also, there are still two ad units in the front row, but at least they aren't Mixer.

LazCq4G.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You cannot remove the store. It is always present on the dashboard screen as the last item to the eight of the your last five recently opened apps. It is "hidden" making you think you opened it, but you didn't. I just opened 7 games in a row and the thing is still there.

Also, there are still two ad units in the front row, but at least they aren't Mixer.

LazCq4G.jpg
It doesn’t stay up on mine. Nevermind it does I’ve never noticed it before.

Last edited:
I'm not really into streaming, I just don't see the point in watching someone play live, uuuu, big deal.
But, honestly, prior to this thread, I never heard of mixer. I thought twitch is the onlly major streaming player in the market. And youtube.

Arkam

You have a secretary in a managerial position with no actual experience.
Seems to be how they hire hire for the group. Just look at the original content "hosts" third rate boob tubers who dont even play games. Follow them on social media for a week and it becomes glaringly obvious. But downt worry they "Heart" whatever is the trend of the day. Blah....

nikolino840

Mixer: The Black Experience
So I’ve gone back and forth with how I wanted to share this information. I’ve debated doing a video and just letting my emotions come across raw and unfiltered but I believe the best way to share is to write how I feel.

I worked at Microsoft for 2 years starting in 2017. In 2018 I relocated to Seattle to work on the Mixer team. I was beyond happy and anxious to have the ability to finally work in the gaming industry. The flip side to all of this is crazy, this experience was the worst I’ve ever had professionally and it’s all due to RACISM.

#1 - I was one of the only black people working at Mixer during my tenure. While at a conference I was pulled aside and told that the only reason I was hired is because I am “street smart”. The first thing that popped into my head at the time was affirmative action. I believed I was only hired to meet a diversity goal because I was black. Anyways I decided to brush it off and let it go.

#2 - Time goes by and we are in an internal meeting discussing projects we wanted to execute. My manager decided to give us an analogy, that analogy was “I’m in between a rock and a hard place. What I mean is all the partners are my slaves, I own their content. I control their success on our platform. For me I am the slave master, I own partners”. Immediately I got angry, pissed off and honestly I didn’t want to work at Microsoft/Mixer anymore. My manager saw my mood was not the same and decided to have a 1:1. Within that meeting I told her why I was angry and why her using that analogy was NOT okay. She decided to defend her statement and even had the nerve to google that analogy to prove why it was okay. After Google showed her it was NEVER okay to use that analogy, she told me I need to work on myself. If I wanted to go far in this industry I need to work on my emotions and feelings to similar comments. After this meeting I knew I was leaving.

#3 - I reported my entire experience to a skip level manager, I also included examples when my ideas in meetings were passed on. When said ideas were the exact same from my white colleagues. The skip level NEVER reported any of the slavery comments to HR. So when I spoke with HR they were surprised and said this has never been communicated. After that meeting I resigned a few weeks later.

#4 - I spoke with the legal team to start an investigation with my manager. This investigation would continue even though I decided to terminate my employment. Months go by without a verdict. One day late last year I get a call from the legal team with their final findings. That finding was not guilty! The reason my manager was not penalized and the reason she still has her job today is because she CANNOT be racist. The reason she CANNOT be racist is because she hired a black person.

This is why you haven’t seen me in any streams. These four points are the reason I do not and will not support Mixer. Now I have a lot of close friends at Mixer and I don’t want you to think they are all bad. But one of the main people calling the shots has zero respect for any partner not their platform. She believes you all are slaves and she owns your future and content. I stood up to her because I refused to let anyone be classified as such and I hope no partners feel bad I did so. I do not care about how big a company is or their market share. If we do not have the same values, if you cannot be intelligent enough to know racism isn’t tolerated then I will not work for you or your company.

All in all this was my experience!

EDIT

Last edited:

McCheese

^ sounds like they are overly sensitive then spent most of their time trying to escalate a non issue.

My manager says shit that offends me sometimes and doesn't even sit down with me afterwards to understand why, sounds like the company listened to him, decided he was overblowing it, so he just blew harder.

Imagine hiring you own "legal team" because someone made a slave/master analogy in the tech sector.

As much a I enjoy dunking on mixer.

Last edited:

Hudo

So I’ve gone back and forth with how I wanted to share this information. I’ve debated doing a video and just letting my emotions come across raw and unfiltered but I believe the best way to share is to write how I feel.

I worked at Microsoft for 2 years starting in 2017. In 2018 I relocated to Seattle to work on the Mixer team. I was beyond happy and anxious to have the ability to finally work in the gaming industry. The flip side to all of this is crazy, this experience was the worst I’ve ever had professionally and it’s all due to RACISM.

#1 - I was one of the only black people working at Mixer during my tenure. While at a conference I was pulled aside and told that the only reason I was hired is because I am “street smart”. The first thing that popped into my head at the time was affirmative action. I believed I was only hired to meet a diversity goal because I was black. Anyways I decided to brush it off and let it go.

#2 - Time goes by and we are in an internal meeting discussing projects we wanted to execute. My manager decided to give us an analogy, that analogy was “I’m in between a rock and a hard place. What I mean is all the partners are my slaves, I own their content. I control their success on our platform. For me I am the slave master, I own partners”. Immediately I got angry, pissed off and honestly I didn’t want to work at Microsoft/Mixer anymore. My manager saw my mood was not the same and decided to have a 1:1. Within that meeting I told her why I was angry and why her using that analogy was NOT okay. She decided to defend her statement and even had the nerve to google that analogy to prove why it was okay. After Google showed her it was NEVER okay to use that analogy, she told me I need to work on myself. If I wanted to go far in this industry I need to work on my emotions and feelings to similar comments. After this meeting I knew I was leaving.

#3 - I reported my entire experience to a skip level manager, I also included examples when my ideas in meetings were passed on. When said ideas were the exact same from my white colleagues. The skip level NEVER reported any of the slavery comments to HR. So when I spoke with HR they were surprised and said this has never been communicated. After that meeting I resigned a few weeks later.

#4 - I spoke with the legal team to start an investigation with my manager. This investigation would continue even though I decided to terminate my employment. Months go by without a verdict. One day late last year I get a call from the legal team with their final findings. That finding was not guilty! The reason my manager was not penalized and the reason she still has her job today is because she CANNOT be racist. The reason she CANNOT be racist is because she hired a black person.

This is why you haven’t seen me in any streams. These four points are the reason I do not and will not support Mixer. Now I have a lot of close friends at Mixer and I don’t want you to think they are all bad. But one of the main people calling the shots has zero respect for any partner not their platform. She believes you all are slaves and she owns your future and content. I stood up to her because I refused to let anyone be classified as such and I hope no partners feel bad I did so. I do not care about how big a company is or their market share. If we do not have the same values, if you cannot be intelligent enough to know racism isn’t tolerated then I will not work for you or your company.

While the analogy she used was idiotic and unfitting, the dude seemed to be a bit eager to blow this out of proportions, IMHO. I don't think she was aware she might be offending someone, so she didn't do it with racist intentions. And she could've responded more tactfully with regards to his complaints but, again, he seemed like he wanted to make a 5-star meal out of a nothingburger.

Also, the guy clearly never assembled a computer in the 90s. You had to manually set slave/master hierarchies for your (hard) drives via jumpers on the main board.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You cannot remove the store. It is always present on the dashboard screen as the last item to the right of the your last five recently opened apps. It is "hidden" making you think you opened it, but you didn't. I just opened 7 games in a row and the thing is still there.

LazCq4G.jpg
Well mine goes away, but I have MS store below, where I rarely go. I buy everything through browser on PC.

Mr.ODST

I used to stream on Mixer and came close to partner, left because they just gave up on it after the Ninja acquisitions, a lot of my friends have either switched to Youtube or Twitch and multiple videos come out explaining what the issues are etc

Just not worth it to be on there, even their partnerships program has two separate requirements, one for people who stream popular games like BR's and FIFA (The only two genres you can get viewers in) and a lower requirement for those that stream anything other than BR titles.

Think the view requirement was 70+ concurrent viewers for a BR streamer, 30+ for non popular game streamer and even then they don't partner non BR streamers often because it doesn't bring in views.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
^ sounds like they are overly sensitive then spent most of their time trying to escalate a non issue.

My manager says shit that offends me sometimes and doesn't even sit down with me afterwards to understand why, sounds like the company listened to him, decided he was overblowing it, so he just blew harder.

Imagine hiring you own "legal team" because someone made a slave/master analogy in the tech sector.

As much a I enjoy dunking on mixer.
I work in software, and no manager has ever put me down. I also believe that is a stupid analogy to bring up by the manager.
Well mine goes away, but I have MS store below, where I rarely go. I buy everything through browser on PC.
Maybe it changed already. The point was that the store was always present on the front screen, like you said in your experience. It can never leave the front screen, Microsoft would be crazy to take it away.

D.Final

Banned

EDIT

The Phil smash

Top Bottom