• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moonscars - Announcement Trailer

Pejo

Looks pretty cool. Depending on the price, I'll give it a try. It's more about the movement and combat for me, wonder if they'll do a demo?

reksveks

Missed all the humblegame announcements.

If the GP partnership continues, then hopefully we will get them on GP day 1

Myths

Alright let's see:

✅ Dark Souls clone
✅ Features a dark and gritty setting
✅ Features gothic Anor Londo inspired cathedral
✅ Features dodging
✅ Wants to be edgy and even features a metal soundtrack!

Whoooooooooooa, I have never seen any other indie game like that before!
Forgot to add the cliche line “Discover the … world of … “

Fuz

Banned
I should love this, but I'm getting tired of the formula.

Also getting tired of none of them living to the trailer's hype.

Konnor

You forgot "Crap indie 4-bit pixel style because "ooooh so retro"*

The most infuriating thing about this "art style" is that 2D games didn't look terrible like that. The fucking imbeciles that popularized this ugly as fuck style didn't take into account that retro 2D games took into account CRT technology that made games look way smoother and better looking that this crap full of ugly edges and visible pixels.

scanline-lcd-pixel.jpg

Final-Fantasy-6.jpg

I fucking hate pixel "art" so fucking much

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Put an hour or so into this on Game Pass, this game is great. If you like Blasphemous you'll probably dig this.

I'm getting pretty far as well, but it's a brutal game.

Counter basically every hit, or don't even bother playing. 2 hits and you're dead. Your only super move uses the same MP pool as the healing you need, and also functions as a key for locked doors. So yeah, I would change some things if I could.

But the combat feels fun. The graphics are cool. Music is cool. Setting is interesting. But I'd say like 90% of people will get pummeled in this game and leave.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Looks pretty cool, wishlisted on Steam and hoping to read some more feedback from you guys. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

jaysius

Banned
Put an hour or so into this on Game Pass, this game is great. If you like Blasphemous you'll probably dig this.

Nope the devs took too much pride in breaking the player's balls to think about how to make the game fun, if you die 2 or 3 times the game actually gets harder and then you need to waste a valuable currency item to make it not super hard again.

The dumb "You have to fight a doppleganger" every single time you get to a checkpoint gets old, and I've gotten to the first boss and even those few times it's annoying.

Also cheap spikes everywhere to eat up your health sucks too.

It's not even that hard, it's just the emphasis as mentioned previously in this thread of parry and countering that gets really old and annoying fast. Countering doesn't even kill things in 1 hit, you'll have to counter enemies repeatedly if they're bigger.

As also previously mentioned, your spells are taken from the same pool as your healing, and they tell you that SOME ENEMIES are spongey AF if you don't use the spells on them... this just drags out some fights.

The level design is that you'll get locked into small place with a number of enemies, then as your fighting them, more will "SURPRISE"(not a surprise because it constantly happens) drop from the roof.

Your reward for fighting all the same enemies over and over is a souls type resource and that lets you level up ONLY the spells that you'll only rarely use because you'll want to use that pool for healing, the spells are an uninspired "Spike Bolt l Spike Bolt ll Spike Bolt lll and they don't really tell you if any of the levels are more economical. Well there is a shop that you can buy things with those souls too, but the buffs those things give you is usually small. The better buffed items are bought with the resource that gets rid of the red moon.

Blasphemous was hard but it still had fairness and fun.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I almost bought it for playstation just before noticing it's out on gamepass! I'm still at the very beginning so can't speak to difficulty spikes I'm hearing about but then I've heard that about many other games I love and I'm digging it a lot this far. Jumping back in as soon as I'm back in the den!

I beat it, some of the abilities make the game insanely easy and can suck the fun out of it. The cat stuff was kind of off and weird lol, but the animation is beautiful - especially on the bosses. Like someone above said blasphemous is better, but it's a cool game. Made me want to play 3DS castlevanias again.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member

- Soft locking in multiple situations across the game
- Balancing for late game enemies, Moon Hunger system and many others.
- Can't cast spells that requires more Ichor than your maximum pool
- Grave spawning at wrong positions.
- Progress lock dying after a boss

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Just beat the game.

Really liked it overall especially after figuring out how to navigate around some of its issues.

It can be balls breaking difficult in ways you can mitigate but the game never really tells you how. I died to the first boss like 20+ times, somehow made it but upon reaching the second one it felt almost impossible (2nd phase combo-ing me down from full health to zero in an instant) and that's when I figured out moonhunger mechanic stacks and buffs enemy and boss attacks so much I'm playing on ultra hard mode...

But then there is a fairly early game item that gives you lots of damage resistance at the cost of some movement speed you won't even notice, when I "discovered it" (tnx reddit) I blasted through the remaining 2/3ds of the game killing bosses first try...

So yeah, balancing could definitely use more work.

Also crashed a ton, especially annoying during boss fights. The game just got that big patch on steam that should come to consoles soon and hopefully rebalance the game a ton.

It's great fun and a very solid Metroidvania, 3 out of 5 people who made the game are animators and it shows.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone hungry for more Blasphemous, but give it some time so it's properly patched.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Played this last night on Game Pass. Got to a ridiculously hard-hitting boss and I think I’ve had enough.

It has all the markings of the average indie game.
Metroidvania-lite? Check.
Souls-like mechanics, including a common pool for mana and health restoring? Check.
Hollow Knight vibes? Check.
Graphics and FOV that make everything harder to see for no reason at all? Check.
Amateurish level design? Check.
Visibly random enemy placement just for the sake of “difficulty”, disregarding game balance? Check.
Obnoxious difficulty spikes out of nowhere and at random points because of a fundamental misunderstanding on how to properly balance a game? Check.
Risk-reward mechanic that’s basically 100% risk because it puts you at a spectacular disadvantage? Check.
A skill tree with mostly superfluous, exceedingly expensive spells? Well, I think you get this by now.
NPCs acting all aloof and mysterious and blabbing about stuff they can’t be arsed to explain in a way anyone can understand? But of course.

Still, I was somewhat interested and trudging through until the area where some enemies, including a boss that hits like a column of trucks, are only vulnerable to magic. The boss is the one where I think I’m quitting unless someone reveals to me some strategy that can make it affordable, because it’s just crazy. But those flying enemies invulnerable to weapons who shoot projectiles with very, very generous hitboxes were just as obnoxious. Magic is clunky at the best of times in this game, it’s awfully slow and therefore just useless where you meed it most, ie when you’re getting gangbanged left and right by a group of enemies with different parry timing and ludicrous health reserves. Compare this to Hollow Knight’s lightning-fast magic bullet - nay, lightning-fast everything.

It’s always the same with these games. There’s some good stuff and the whole kinda works, but there’s just too many design and balancing issues and you really have to wonder if these games get actually played before release. The flaws are so easy to see, you’ll be forgiven for thinking there’s almost no testing of the actual final game.

Top Bottom