• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon Studios is Making an ARPG After Ori & the Will of the Wisps

Mista

Banned
aa1ca7650d0e072be310548fe2ecbdbe.jpg

Developer Moon Studios, the team behind Ori and the Blind Forest, will make an action-RPG following the completion of Ori and the Will of the Wisps, according to a new job listing posted over on Gamasutra.

The advert calls for a senior designer, whose job it will be to help Moon “revolutionize the ARPG genre.”

The prerequisite experience level noted in the advert gives us a small flavor for what sort of game Moon is intent on creating:
You’ve played and studied RPGs your whole life and you still can’t get enough of them. You have a love for all things Diablo, Zelda, Dark Souls and other games in the genre. You’d love the opportunity to work on an RPG that dares to innovate and go far beyond what the genre has offered players thus far.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Definitely interested to hear more. I loved Ori even though I hate platformers and suck at them. ARPGs OTOH are my favorite genre. A Moon Studios RPG would be amazing.

I haven't played Ori but from what I've seen, Moon Studios is already very capable in terms of executing on artstyle and animation.

And while it might sound like hubris to say they want to "revolutionize ARPGs", I'd rather they attempt something new and bold instead of just making an ARPG that fits nicely into what most gamers have already experienced.

In short, more power to Moon Studios and I hope they can pull it off.

Exentryk

Moon Studios is very talented. Looking forward to this effort from them.

I hope it has enough focus on narrative, and isn't structured like Dark Souls.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If there's something I learned in all those years following gaming industry and all that is never underestimate anyone bro

I've also learnt that these companies are happy to hype themselves to levels they can't live up to.

Don't tell me, show me.

Reactions: Fuz

GymWolf

They nailed the art and atmosphere, but when most of the time i dont ***** know where ori is, all becomes useless T_T
I'm just the worst with precision platform games, i have no problem with the game itself tbh.
Maybe the combat was shallow as hell but it was not the foucus of the game.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Good. Certainly better than 2D platform we, hopefully pc focused with open world and extensive mod support. My favorite genre.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I've also learnt that these companies are happy to hype themselves to levels they can't live up to.

Don't tell me, show me.
You know its just a job posting. Moon Studios is not some secret society that they have to hire in secret with personal interviews.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm just the worst with precision platform games, i have no problem with the game itself tbh.
Maybe the combat was shallow as hell but it was not the foucus of the game.

I'm sorry, but I'm sure I'm worse than you - no one could be as bad as me. That's why I'm so excited they will be making an RPG. I don't suck at those and I love everything about Moon Studios except platforming.

VAL0R

Banned
damn i gave that title to Hollow Knight myself. Maybe I should check this out.
I was just playing Hollow Knight last night (I haven't finished yet) and said to my oldest, "people LOVE this game, but it's nowhere near as good as Ori to me."

VAL0R

Banned
Nah. They're independent. They've just worked closely with Microsoft lately. It's not surprising that people think that. I thought for sure when Microsoft was announcing acquisitions that Moon Studios would be one of them.
Yeah, Moon is independent but they have a very close partnership with MS and CEO Thomas Mahler said MS is good to them. Moon is odd in that they are literally spread all over the world. They all essentially work from home I guess. They only hire the cream of the crop in the gaming industry "smartest person in the room" types. The Ori IP is owned by MS. Thomas Mahler from Moon said he'd love to do a Banjo reboot.

GHG

Gold Member
While I do agree, technically they're not telling you, they're asking a senior game designer to help them show you. This is a job posting after all, rather than a fluff piece interview with a "journalist".
You know its just a job posting. Moon Studios is not some secret society that they have to hire in secret with personal interviews.

Job adverts are called job adverts for a reason. They're always made to sound more exciting and exotic than they actually are. That's how you attract the top people to apply.

GymWolf

I'm sorry, but I'm sure I'm worse than you - no one could be as bad as me. That's why I'm so excited they will be making an RPG. I don't suck at those and I love everything about Moon Studios except platforming.
cats are more agile than wolves tho 😆

Last edited:
I was just playing Hollow Knight last night (I haven't finished yet) and said to my oldest, "people LOVE this game, but it's nowhere near as good as Ori to me."

Ori was amazing, but I found Hollow Knight to be the better Metroidvania, that game really was on another level for me.
Moon has proven their chops quite well, I'll purchase whatever they put out if they keep that Ori level quality and shine.

Top Bottom