• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World Arrives August 9th on Steam (System Requiremets Inside)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The wait for the critically-acclaimed Monster Hunter: World on PC is almost over! Originally planned for Fall 2018, Capcom has now confirmed it will be arriving on August 9th, 2018. The title that released for consoles earlier this year has since gone on to become Capcom’s best-selling game in company history with over 8 million units shipped globally. In this entry, players take on larger than life monsters in a variety of vast, living, breathing ecosystems either solo or with up to three other hunters via online co-op, complete with drop-in functionality, a first for the series.

In Monster Hunter: World, follow the journey of the elder dragons as they begin their once a decade migration across the sea to a land known as the New World in an event referred to by inhabitants as the Elder Crossing. As part of the Guild’s Research Commission, players must embark on a grand journey to this massive, mysterious land and uncover the secrets behind this phenomenon. As hunters set out on their quests, the Commission’s sights are set on Zorah Magdaros, a colossal elder dragon that rises from the earth like a volcano.

Future updates will add new content and gameplay features. Updates and fixes made in other platform versions will be gradually applied to the PC version. The Event Quest schedule will differ from other platforms so fans should stay tuned to official Capcom channels for more details on additional content release dates.

And PC specs:

Minimum:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460, 3.20GHz or AMD FX™-6300
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x (VRAM 2GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c)
Additional Notes: 1080p/30fps when graphics settings are set to "Low"

Recommended:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 3.4GHz or Intel® Core™ i3 8350 4GHz or AMD Ryzen™ 5 1500X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (VRAM 3GB) or AMD Radeon™ RX 570X (VRAM 4GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c or better)
Additional Notes: 1080p/30fps when graphics settings are set to "High"
So they're basically telling us that GTX 980 is not enough to play this game on high in 1080p 60 and it's more or less the same as console GPUs. What a joke!

P.S. Messed up the threads title but no big deal ( ^ _ ^ )

Last edited:
The game runs around 40fps on a Pro if I remember the DF analysis correctly. Seems the PC version is pretty much in line with that. Still, not very good.

Dontero

Banned
These guys have no clue what they're doing lol

30fps recommended on PC is bananas

Game supports 60fps even on console and they showed framerate settings on twitter feed.
Also recomended in this case means highest settings and probably 30 fps WITHOUT dips so after unlocking a lot more than 30fps.

Zambatoh

I'm not at all surprised at these specs. The game has to keep track of a lot of shit in the background. Not just the monsters but also the ecosystem surrounding them.
Also once you're on the map, there are no load times so that's going to leave a huge memory footprint right there.

Espada

I'm going to wait and see how this turns on in reviews and in Digital Foundry's analysis. Those odd figures they're using (1080p/30) are giving me pause. I've seen the screen where it shows 2160p and 60fps as options, but it didn't ease my concerns. This is an MT Framework based title, there's no way optimization is that bad on PC. The consoles actually jump into the high 40s, low 50s with terrible CPUs and old GPUs. A 1060 paired with a Ryzen or i5 should easily do 1080p/60 here.

Zambatoh

I'm going to wait and see how this turns on in reviews and in Digital Foundry's analysis. Those odd figures they're using (1080p/30) are giving me pause. I've seen the screen where it shows 2160p and 60fps as options, but it didn't ease my concerns. This is an MT Framework based title, there's no way optimization is that bad on PC. The consoles actually jump into the high 40s, low 50s with terrible CPUs and old GPUs. A 1060 paired with a Ryzen or i5 should easily do 1080p/60 here.

Not necessarily. Even Dragon's Dogma didn't have to keep track of anything that wasn't directly in front of you. It just streamed data in over time.
MonHun World doesn't do that. By necessity the engine needs to keep track of all creature's movements regardless of where they are on the map and it's a pretty big map.
Some parts of the environment are also destructible and there are tons of resources scattered around the map too, including small animals and fish that players can capture with their toolkit.

Last edited:

Espada

Come on now, this game is not some graphical powerhouse, its textures are decidedly modest, and everything I've seen does not convince me that the world simulation is an obscene burden. Just looking at all the open world games the 1060 can run at 1080p easily with nice visuals makes me raise an eyebrow at this. We'll see, but it'd be in everyone's best interest if we keep our expectations low.

Zambatoh

Come on now, this game is not some graphical powerhouse, its textures are decidedly modest, and everything I've seen does not convince me that the world simulation is an obscene burden. Just looking at all the open world games the 1060 can run at 1080p easily with nice visuals makes me raise an eyebrow at this. We'll see, but it'd be in everyone's best interest if we keep our expectations low.
As I've said in my previous post, open world games like Dragon's Dogma, Horizon, Witcher 3, and so on only have to keep track of what's in front of you. That's not the case here.
If we look at some video footage that tracks the frame-rate across the different console models, we can see that even the Pro has trouble reaching 40 FPS let alone 60 FPS.
This is easily the most demanding game ever made in MT Framework.

ickythingz

Banned
Couple of questions. If I found the other monster hunter games (PSP era) too grindy and boring will this be any better? I like the idea of these games, but I can not stand the insane grinding (why do Asian cultures love grinding?) Just want a more fun game, not a game of chores. Also, is it locked at 30FPS?

Zambatoh

Couple of questions. If I found the other monster hunter games (PSP era) too grindy and boring will this be any better? I like the idea of these games, but I can not stand the insane grinding (why do Asian cultures love grinding?) Just want a more fun game, not a game of chores. Also, is it locked at 30FPS?

I found the grind to be more forgiving then earlier games myself. But you'll still be doing a lot of it in post-game.
If you're just here for the story however, then the grinding can be kept to a minimum.
As for frame-rate, the baseline version is perfectly playable as I've done so myself with very little trouble.

There's practically no grind at all during the story. If you're good you can just get by with whatever you can craft from whatever you get during missions. The only reason I had to grind during the main story is that I hate wearing clownsuits. The main story can probably last you about 40 hours. Post-story is a different matter, that's pure grind.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
even the Pro has trouble reaching 40 FPS let alone 60 FPS
But PS4 Pro nowhere near as powerful as say 4790K / 6700K / 7700K / 8700K + 980 / 1060 and somehow on PC it's 30 FPS at best on High with such powefull GPU in bog-standard 1080p which is not demanding at all for the PC hardware anymore.

This port for sure will be a mess, i just know it. Buyer beware.

P.S. Oh, wait, PS4 Pro's GPU - 4.2 TFLOP and 1060 6GB - 4.4 TFLOP... I guess it makes sense. but still... 30 FPS on PC is not the same as 30 FPS on consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom