• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin - Nintendo Switch Trial Demo is Live

rubhen925

Nintendo Switch Demo is live today. I am late in posting this, but i'm surprised no one else has posted. This is from an email from Capcom PR:
  • Progress made during the Trial Version is saved and can be transferred to the full game for those who own Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
  • Receive a Kinship Talisman in Monster Hunter Rise if you have save data from the Trial Version - this talisman can be used to activate the Master Mounter and Wide-Range skills

Couple things I have to add:

- takes around 2-3 hours to get the demo complete if you go for the main story
- turn based gameplay (I didn't know this lol. was so confused when the battles started, but i like the system)
- Monster collecting game (You can collect eggs from monster dens, Hatch them and train them to fight along with you)
- fps is not stable on Switch while docked as well. 30 FPS only in closed areas, open sections have multiple dips
- Demo ends when you beat the boss at Ratha's Den. As in the game keeps saying Thanks for playing on that save.
- If you'd like to keep collecting eggs and hatching eggs, well don't do that final mission
- 3 weapons can be used at a time, you can switch on the fly between those three while you fight, but need to be out of fight to change the weapons from your inventory
- every time you finish a fight the game has a loading screen..... slows the pacing imo
- can have up to 5 monsters in your party and can ride each one as well.

Nintendo Switch Demo Gameplay:

If you guys have more info to add do let me know. Enjoy the demo, and got to catch them all!

Astral Dog

honestly had more fun with this one than the main game, but looks like it could get repetitive, playing on handheld mode i didn't noticed any frame drops that distracted me. the game is turn based and plays well, not sure if the lack of difficulty is because the demo is a tutorial

Will play on Docked mode tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Played the demo for about 30 mins. I was impressed, looks very promising.

I will be very likely getting this around October when all the free DLC monsters are in the game.

Merkades

I have not played a MH game yet, so since this is on PC and turn based, I was thinking of buying this for July, GoTDC for August and ToA in September...and whatever else convinces me to pick it up.

RaptorGTA

Preordered. Fan of Monster Hunter and liking the combat system. Anyone else noticing frame rate issues when exploring? I don't notice it as bad in handheld but its really noticeable when Docked. I have an OG Switch so wonder if thats part of the issue as another friend has the new Switch and says he doesn't see an issue.

Finally got around to trying this out. I like the battle system and the story seems interesting enough to keep me going. But I have major concerns about the dungeons or "dens" - they seem to be randomly generated and thus are lacking anything interesting to see or do. After the tutorial den I just ended up running past everything to get to the egg lol. So my question is, do these dens make up the majority of the gameplay? Because if so I'll probably have to pass...

And yes, the framerate struggles to maintain 30fps. If I do get it, Im definitely picking it up on PC

Last edited:

Nico_D

Thanks Karak. Gameplay > graphics. Nice scores all around.

Really tempted but I will probably wait for the free dlc until getting it.

Yeah, I'm interested for sure. Fun battle system in the demo.

I was a little let down by the graphics though, but it's clearly a continuation of the previous 3DS game. I'll pick it up on sale because I'm drowning in other games at the moment, and it would just sit on my shelf.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the demo and the reviews seem positive so have pre-ordered. Got it on PC though as quite a lot cheaper and the frame rate wasn't great on Switch.

There is a new JRPG every month these days on at least one of the systems so a real good time if you are a fan.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

i think i got sold on the pc version.
after the no switch pro news.
nintendo can fuck itself infinitum

Nico_D

Finished this last night. That was a damn long final boss fight, took me 55 minutes to get to go to bed.

Ended up loving the game, had a really good time with it - after the midgmae lull where it started to feel repetitive thanks to lack of difficulty. But when I got to the 4th city, the difficulty ramped up pretty quick which made every fight much more interesting. I liked how you really had to start reading the monsters to recognize their patterns, that was well done. It could've started sooner though.

While the story was mostly just ok with some peaks, it had great cutscenes.

I'd give the game a very strong 8. With better missions (instead of "go to a city and kil three monsters to get to a boss") or non-general copy-paste dungeons it would've been an easy

Finished this last night. That was a damn long final boss fight, took me 55 minutes to get to go to bed.

Ended up loving the game, had a really good time with it - after the midgmae lull where it started to feel repetitive thanks to lack of difficulty. But when I got to the 4th city, the difficulty ramped up pretty quick which made every fight much more interesting. I liked how you really had to start reading the monsters to recognize their patterns, that was well done. It could've started sooner though.

While the story was mostly just ok with some peaks, it had great cutscenes.

I'd give the game a very strong 8. With better missions (instead of "go to a city and kil three monsters to get to a boss") or non-general copy-paste dungeons it would've been an easy
Been playing this game, only 12 hours in. Loving the game. How long did it take to beat the game?

Nico_D

Been playing this game, only 12 hours in. Loving the game. How long did it take to beat the game?

Took me 55 hrs. I didn't do side quests intentionally, just turned them in if I happened to do them by coincidence. Did moderate monster collecting.

And no, I didn't do postgame stuff, only the story. Just finished the game last night, i don't know yet if I'll return to it later. Probably not, that stuff isn't usually my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I’m playing it because I’m a huge monster hunter fan, but I think the game is a 7.

It’s tremendously repetitive on account of 99% of story missions being go there, kill a monster and only having only one real unique dungeon (tower), the rest are generic caves with repeated tile sets and atrocious tile reuse (tile = room).

On the other side it has the most monsters of any recent monster hunter game (well over 100) which is a huge plus.

I’ve said it before, but Capcom reluctance to go beyond “monsters be mad, kill them” is hurting their ambitions to make monster hunter a bigger IP across multiple genres.

Lanrutcon

I’m playing it because I’m a huge monster hunter fan, but I think the game is a 7.

It’s tremendously repetitive on account of 99% of story missions being go there, kill a monster and only having only one real unique dungeon (tower), the rest are generic caves with repeated tile sets and atrocious tile reuse (tile = room).

On the other side it has the most monsters of any recent monster hunter game (well over 100) which is a huge plus.

I’ve said it before, but Capcom reluctance to go beyond “monsters be mad, kill them” is hurting their ambitions to make monster hunter a bigger IP across multiple genres.

Monster Hunter World 2 is going to sell like cocaine, my friend, and all we'll be doing is kicking monster ass.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

you must not be very far.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
]

You should probably sit down and get your...story straight.

/ba dum tss

Why do you get so hurt when someone says things you don’t like about a game that you feel the need to run interference.

Stories 2 has a poor, repetitive story, is repetitive in its gameplay and has only one unique dungeon. The rest are repeating tiles and tile sets, even for story quests.

Deal with it.

And you’re still pretending stories and the mainline series are the same type of game.

For all your snark you don’t address the flaws I mention because you’ve played the game and you know they’re there.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Why do you get so hurt when someone says things you don’t like about a game that you feel the need to run interference.

Who cares. If you actually read my posts you'll notice I haven't said a single thing about Monster Hunter Stories 2's quality. 7/10 is pretty accurate. I'm keeping things lighthearted, but I don't think you got the joke in my last post.

Stories 2 has a poor, repetitive story, is repetitive in its gameplay and has only one unique dungeon. The rest are repeating tiles and tile sets, even for story quests.

Deal with it.

Never claimed otherwise. You're talking to yourself, and granted it's a conversation with a really slow partner but that's no excuse.

And you’re still pretending stories and the mainline series are the same type of game.

You have, literally, in this thread, on this same page we are currently on said that Monster Hunter Stories is both an RPG and not an RPG, and proceeded to have an imaginary argument around the game's quality with yourself. If there's a list of people who get to judge what kind of game MHS is then you're not on it, and it's your own fault for having the logical consistency of spaghetti. I'm still responding to you because your posting style is best described as "autistic trainwreck" and trainwrecks are really entertaining. Please, tell me more about how the game is average and is/isn't a classic pet action rollerderby Tuesday purple RPG (depending on how you feel at any given point in this conversation, stars willing).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
.Please, tell me more about how the game is average

It’s very average and considering Capcom are not a second tier devhouse it’s fucking shameful.

And if you’re not willing to engage with my opinions of the game on good faith you’re just being a troll so I’ll just put you on the ignore list.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

It’s very average and considering Capcom are not a second tier devhouse it’s fucking shameful.

And if you’re not willing to engage with my opinions of the game on good faith you’re just being a troll so I’ll just put you on the ignore list.

Is that classic good faith, pet good faith or (excuse my arrogance) action good faith? A 4 hour back and forth potentially hinges on the answer.

So I think it's intentionally average, like low budget high return. Use the MH name to target the Pokemon crowd kind of thing. I seriously doubt their A team worked on this, but I could be wrong. I think the real money is probably being channeled towards MHW 2 (far faaar out) or MHR DLC/updates/other platform versions. But you're right: I would love it if they put some real money and talent on the MHS line, but I doubt it sold enough to become a thing. That being said, it's not like the actual Pokemon titles are pushing the envelope and they must be rolling in cash.

Top Bottom