• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |OT| MASSIVE EXPANSION ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TheKratos

Can't say I like the new seregios fight. He basically uses one move the entire fight and the player tracking is insane, it's more about timing your dodges than learning the fight which is not what monster hunter should be about imo. It's just not fun.

On the other hand, Astalos, shogun and especially lunagaron are all excellent fights. I just hope they nailed gore or I'm going to be really upset.
I never enjoyed Seregios fight, the flying, the screeching, the bleeding. He and Barioth can stay away IMO. At least Seregios armor looks great.

Skifi28

At least Seregios armor looks great.
That's actually the biggest issue. If his set looked bad, I'd fight him once to progress and then ignore him. Now though, I'm "forced" to build the entire set plus most of his weapons by farming I fight I hate. Talk about first world problems.

TheKratos

That's actually the biggest issue. If his set looked bad, I'd fight him once to progress and then ignore him. Now though, I'm "forced" to build the entire set plus most of his weapons by farming I fight I hate. Talk about first world problems.
Gunlance his ass, whenever I see a shitty fight I gunlance cheese them.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don’t know if I should try and get into this, or just wait for inevitable MHWorld 2 on SeX/PS5. You Need to pay for Nintendo online to play it co-op right?
You can play it on PC without paying for Nintendo online, just as playing World on PC without MS/Sony subscriptions.

Last edited:

ebevan91

It's kinda fun going back to LR/HR and absolutely demolishing some of the monsters once you're decked out in good MR gear.

Pejo

It's kinda fun going back to LR/HR and absolutely demolishing some of the monsters once you're decked out in good MR gear.
Yea I've been slowly going through the event quests in HR to make layered sets with my MR gear. It's a lot of fun.

Just a side note here, but did they modify stagger thresholds for Sunbreak? I feel like I can stagger monsters a lot more easily now, even in Co-Op. It's actually great if they did, because staggers and part breaks and stuff are the really satisfying hits that you get in during a hunt. It's the best highlight reel footage too for free publicity.

Alexios

I just got to The Citadel, that was a super fast turn out, I didn't expect it, complete with two new monsters, so I dunno where people find the lack of new content when you advance so fast. Already two new hunting grounds, 3 new monsters and some new sub species after like, at most 10 missions I've dabbled in. I'll probably slow down and get some new armor forged because both Tobi-Kadachi and The Citadel's first urgent basically could one shot me with this unupgraded HR Bazel set (even though for the former I also ate for a lightning defense boost), though I still managed to beat them. Unrelated screenshot, I don't wanna spoil people of course. I was checking out twitter for cool gifs by that one guy and almost spoiled the final boss for myself with those stupid people using the Sunbreak tag feigning shock and awe while spoiling stuff all over the place on purpose.
monsterhunterrise_202jqjjb.png

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve played these games before on PS2, 3DS, and PS4, but I’m not an expert when it comes to understanding what’s OP or what is a good damage output at each HR/MR. My weapon is the Guardian Long Sword on HR6. I’ve done all village quests and now I’m working my way to Sunbreak. One thing I notice with my weapon, the main reason I’m using it is cause it outclasses every weapon I RNG out in the vanilla plot. I have upgraded it to around 230. Reason for my question is cause I want a good weapon to finish out HR7 with.!

Should I trying to obtain a better Long Sword than the Guardian Weapon III(?) or will I prolly end up swapping it out with something I can get from Sunbreak? I saw a video of some player charging a Greatsword and getting like 2k. I wonder what that build looks like. At what Strength is a Longsword hitting that high? I realize a Longsword is fast and I’m hitting for like 40-70 per hit depending upon the monster. At this point should I be hitting for a couple hundred or something? I don’t want to walk into Sunbreak and be hitting for 40 HP. I realize I hit 3 times and that’s 120 because the Long Sword is a very fast weapon that can add up damage over time. I can solo anything HR6 and below except some of the tougher monsters I am only doing 40 per hit, which takes a good 15 minutes to drop the monster. This loop just works for me.

Am I missing a Bloodborne type parry with other weapons? I feel like there’s some sorta weapon mechanic I’m not utilizing. I pound the weapon skill for extra damage, so I know it’s not that.

I’ve played these games before on PS2, 3DS, and PS4, but I’m not an expert when it comes to understanding what’s OP or what is a good damage output at each HR/MR. My weapon is the Guardian Long Sword on HR6. I’ve done all village quests and now I’m working my way to Sunbreak. One thing I notice with my weapon, the main reason I’m using it is cause it outclasses every weapon I RNG out in the vanilla plot. I have upgraded it to around 230. Reason for my question is cause I want a good weapon to finish out HR7 with.!

Should I trying to obtain a better Long Sword than the Guardian Weapon III(?) or will I prolly end up swapping it out with something I can get from Sunbreak? I saw a video of some player charging a Greatsword and getting like 2k. I wonder what that build looks like. At what Strength is a Longsword hitting that high? I realize a Longsword is fast and I’m hitting for like 40-70 per hit depending upon the monster. At this point should I be hitting for a couple hundred or something? I don’t want to walk into Sunbreak and be hitting for 40 HP. I realize I hit 3 times and that’s 120 because the Long Sword is a very fast weapon that can add up damage over time. I can solo anything HR6 and below except some of the tougher monsters I am only doing 40 per hit, which takes a good 15 minutes to drop the monster. This loop just works for me.

Am I missing a Bloodborne type parry with other weapons? I feel like there’s some sorta weapon mechanic I’m not utilizing. I pound the weapon skill for extra damage, so I know it’s not that.
It outclasses every weapon you can currently craft because guardian weapons were made with the intention of carrying players straight to Sunbreak. You basically cheated yourself out of the regular MH experience.

EDIT: For reference, the commonly agreed upon best long sword in Rise is the Phantom Mirage which has 220 attack.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It outclasses every weapon you can currently craft because guardian weapons were made with the intention of carrying players straight to Sunbreak. You basically cheated yourself out of the regular MH experience.
It’s not like I had this weapon when the game launched. I finished the village quest months ago. I’ve literally used it for just HR5 HUB quests. If we subtract that and say I just “switch” back to a weapon I used before I launched MHR again. What was your DPH like during HR6 quests?

It’s not like I had this weapon when the game launched. I finished the village quest months ago. I’ve literally used it for just HR5 HUB quests. If we subtract that and say I just “switch” back to a weapon I used before I launched MHR again. What was your DPH like during HR6 quests?
I can't remember what my damage was like for LS, and I can't open the game up right now since my GPU is dead. Also see edit to my previous post.
Honestly, at this point, don't worry about it. A lot of people get mad about the defender and guardian weapons but all they mean are faster hunts. It's the Black Belt armor that's going to teach you bad habits cause of how much more survivability it gives.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can't remember what my damage was like for LS, and I can't open the game up right now since my GPU is dead. Also see edit to my previous post.
Honestly, at this point, don't worry about it. A lot of people get mad about the defender and guardian weapons but all they mean are faster hunts. It's the Black Belt armor that's going to teach you bad habits cause of how much more survivability it gives.
Awesome. Thanks for that.

Finished the Sunbreak campaign. Final boss was a bit annoying because once he got down to like 10% health, he would power up and be able to one-shot kill me. I should have forged new armor but I'm just too hooked on this build I currently have lol

Edit: Also, the penultimate Quest was probably the most difficult part of the game so far. Not having access to any endemic wildlife, helpers, or other monsters to ride is a major handicap in this game. We've been spoiled by their existence in Rise, and it's entirely appropriate to have them taken away for a final battle with a tough monster.

Last edited:

Pejo

I was helping a friend that I talked into buying Sunbreak with the Allmother fight in base Rise last night. I forgot how cool that fight sequence was. Scripted, sure, but when Magnamalo jumps in towards the end, that was such a cool surprise. Though I guess not really much different than when Nergigante joined in vs. Shara.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Do meowcenaries work as well? Do they collect from those?
Its kind of a grab bag with meowcenaries in my experience. I mostly use them for monster parts. I stick them on the local with the most "sparkles" on the monsters I need parts from. When I go mining I just have more control over the outcome because I choose the route to mine. With the upsurges they respawn so quickly...for example I can get a good 5-7 runs in of the "ruined jungle" before the upsurge effect expires.

Pejo

Do meowcenaries work as well? Do they collect from those?
You can set the exact type of cat you want in the Buddy recruitment screen, so just pick the ones with the skills you want and hire a few. You have to do 1 hunt after selecting the types for it to refresh the list of available buddies.

*edit*

Sorry this was kinda unclear and not answering your question, but I'm eluding that just picking the white icon cats with gathering skills will be much faster and more direct than Meowcenaries, which is a total crapshoot. If you see Upsurge for that locale, it's even better. And wearing armor with gathering skills is even better than that.

This is exactly how I farm for money. Mine a bunch of ore with all that stuff then sell it.

Last edited:

Alexios

New armor, yay. Weirdly it needed Pukey bits? It's not some OP DLC is it? Ceanataur can be lethal with its speed, wide range & bleed, way more than the Hermitaur. This Almudron was pretty big too, both carted me twice. Reminder, dangling during the return time out skips the little victory scene.
monsterhunterrise_202zxk25.png
monsterhunterrise_202w6jn4.png
monsterhunterrise_2023bkg0.png
monsterhunterrise_202ozkre.png

Last edited:
First Sunbreak patch is out which is mostly bug fixes, but also includes a nerf to the first two tiers of the endgame. Kinda weird and unnecessary IMO, coming from someone who hit the third tier last night... but whatever!

Chukhopops

Any tips for getting Lunagaron Frost Jewel?
Not really, just low drop rate from Lunagaron. I needed one so I joined the M4 quest a few times for randos since you usually get more part breaks in MP. Took me around five hunts to get one.

Luna lance is just ridiculous with the purple sharpness.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Not really, just low drop rate from Lunagaron. I needed one so I joined the M4 quest a few times for randos since you usually get more part breaks in MP. Took me around five hunts to get one.

Luna lance is just ridiculous with the purple sharpness.
was it a drop? a reward?

EDIT: I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question, any recommended horn silkbind moves?

Last edited:

Chukhopops

was it a drop? a reward?

EDIT: I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question, any recommended horn silkbind moves?
Good job :) was about to post I had another one as target reward. I don’t think you can get it from the white drops. It seems the drop rate is around 20% ?

I'm having fun with the expansion, but dang, everything just kills me in 1 hit. I'm currently stuck on the magma Almudron, and it has insane range on all of its attacks with some extra AoE and it applies a status effect. It's a bit much. Currently playing with bow as that seems to be the only weapon I can deal any kind of damage with. Everything is properly upgraded too so there's not much I can do to increase survivability. Maybe they just wanted to balance ranged weapons a bit since they're so OP, but it makes the fights less fun when all I can do is run away for minutes.

Pejo

My headpiece is HR (Bow Charge Plus) but apart from that it's all MR stuff fully upgraded as far as it will go at MR4.
May want to slot in some defensive skills too. Defense Boost goes up to I think 7 now, and Divine Blessing is always nice when it procs. They're both pretty easy to slot in.

Also make sure you're carrying your power/armor charms and talons. They stack, so for Inventory space -4 you get the benefits of all 4.

*edit*

Also, Mega Demondrug/Armorskin last the whole hunt now, or until you cart. So they're really worth crafting and using for harder hunts.

Also also, goes without saying, but you should include the Dango Defender (Hi) dango ball in your food before the hunt. I think it's probably the most valuable one until you have everything on farm status.

Last edited:
Top Bottom