• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Pejo

Not gonna play the demo.

Just going to blind buy.

It's MH. At this point you either know what the series offers or you don't, and I've been playing since like 2006.

I do have one question though: why is there a dog?
In the beginning of the game, the dog is a great mode of transport until you learn the wirebug/map layout and get the great wirebugs unlocked. In the middle you'll probably replace him with a cat in Multi or 2 cats for single player to help you get extra materials. At endgame when you're not really out for materials anymore, they become really good at applying status. There's also some cool ass armors for them.

So I played about 4 hours of just the PC demo last night, pissing with settings. On my 2070Super I can get 4k solid 60 with very few concessions. It feels so so so much better at 60FPS. Man I can't wait to dive back in on PC. This time I'm going Hunter Horn/SNS and trying to stay away from my crutch of SwitchAxe for a second playthrough. I wish the textures, particularly of the map, were better, but it's an up-rezzed Switch game, so I think it looks good enough. Wonder if we'll get some texture swap mods from World eventually for the environments.

Pejo

Less than 2 weeks PCbros. Anybody else in here planning on double dipping? I haven't touched the game at all for months so I'd be fresh for a PC playthrough. I've been getting the itch for some monhun, so it can't come soon enough.

Going HH main this time for the first time ever. Excited for some bonk and toot.

GymWolf

Less than 2 weeks PCbros. Anybody else in here planning on double dipping? I haven't touched the game at all for months so I'd be fresh for a PC playthrough. I've been getting the itch for some monhun, so it can't come soon enough.

Going HH main this time for the first time ever. Excited for some bonk and toot.
I'm gonna be there day one, but it is not a double dip.

Not sure on what weapon i'm gonna use, the hammer got really fantastic moves in rise...

Also not sure about how much i'm gonna play after finishing the campaign, i really dislike rise compared to world, i'm only playing it because it's a new mh game with new monsters.

Pejo

I'm gonna be there day one, but it is not a double dip.

Not sure on what weapon i'm gonna use, the hammer got really fantastic moves in rise...

Also not sure about how much i'm gonna play after finishing the campaign, i really dislike rise compared to world, i'm only playing it because it's a new mh game with new monsters.
I expect the MH World modding community to embrace Rise quite a bit. I wouldn't be shocked to see some cool stuff. I don't know if you followed the mod scene for World, but they've done some amazing stuff. A big range from useful to cool to straight up weird.

GymWolf

I expect the MH World modding community to embrace Rise quite a bit. I wouldn't be shocked to see some cool stuff. I don't know if you followed the mod scene for World, but they've done some amazing stuff. A big range from useful to cool to straight up weird.

Yeah no mod can substitute what rise lack\changed over world.

From how monsters interact to each other, to the bland plain maps, to the climb monster method to the lack of impact to that fucking mandatory rumble royale mode that make me want commit suicide...

Last edited:

Pejo

Yeah no mod can substitute what rise lack\changed over world.

From how monsters interact to each other, to the bland plain maps, to the climb monster method to the lack of impact to that fucking mandatory rumble royale mode that make me want commit suicide...
True. I strongly dislike how scripted the monster interaction is, and wirebug mounting is just as bad if not worse than clutch claw. Still, there ARE monster behavior mods for World, so there's a non-zero chance we could get some more realistic interactions and turf wars back.

GymWolf

True. I strongly dislike how scripted the monster interaction is, and wirebug mounting is just as bad if not worse than clutch claw. Still, there ARE monster behavior mods for World, so there's a non-zero chance we could get some more realistic interactions and turf wars back.
Unless they are super simple to install, i usually don't lose my sleep over mods on pc.

Pejo

Here's a bit of good news I missed earlier, looks like the PC version will include all the post launch content from the Switch version at launch.

This is great since I purposely didn't play any of the event quests on Switch.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Here's a bit of good news I missed earlier, looks like the PC version will include all the post launch content from the Switch version at launch.

This is great since I purposely didn't play any of the event quests on Switch.

I feel like where still missing a few bits, I know the amiibo stuff being exclusive is not counted (which sucks)

But I remeber vaguely a few more hairstyles, where the shrine maiden twins hairstyles not DLC on switch?

Trogdor1123

Off topic so I apologize for that but I just started monster hunter world on ps5. It’s pretty fun but I’m a bit lost as it is my first mh game.

Do we have a an active discussion on that? Anything on what I should get, avoid, understand, etc

Thanks!

Pejo

Off topic so I apologize for that but I just started monster hunter world on ps5. It’s pretty fun but I’m a bit lost as it is my first mh game.

Do we have a an active discussion on that? Anything on what I should get, avoid, understand, etc

Thanks!
Nothing recent for World, as its only major expansion is years old at this point. You could always start a LTTP thread to drum up some fresh conversation about it, or just post questions in either of the Rise threads. I'm betting that about 90% of all people that read these topics have played both.

There is a LOT for a first time player to understand, Rise and World to a lesser extent are some of the easiest to pick up though. I'd say your first steps should be to familiarize yourself with all of the systems that the game throws at you, then find a weapon that you like and learn the ins and outs of it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Thanks!
Ask away man. It's been a bit since I played World but I'm sure someone can help out if I don't know.

SCB3

So jumping back into Rise, can I still get the Sonic stuff right now on Switch, only on 4 star Hunts on Village and Events atm

ebevan91

Just jumped back in to get ready for Sunbreak. I haven't played in so long that I forgot I wasn't even high rank yet. Made it halfway through HR6.

I'm mostly going into Sunbreak blind other than the first couple of trailers they showed a few months ago.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Same. Loaded up the Sunbreak demo and it took me 15 minutes to get back into the flow. Don't know if I am going to restart the whole sha-bang on PC or pick up where I left off on switch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In Sunbreak Demo I only fought Malzeno once, but I'm not gonna fight him again until in the full game.

I dont want to make the same mistake I did with base demo, I like Magnemalo but I kind ruin that fight for myself because how much fought him in the demo.

CAPSOL

Just started playing Rise.

I know I'm late to the game but I'm blown away by the depth of the weapons and set options.

Pejo

Just started playing Rise.

I know I'm late to the game but I'm blown away by the depth of the weapons and set options.
Yea, each weapon is essentially its own game. Enjoy your time with it!

If you're not planning on buying Sunbreak or rushing to it, I recommend avoiding the "Defender" weapons and Black Belt armor set. They become a crutch and are mainly there to get as many people to Sunbreak as quickly as possible. If you're just going to enjoy the base game and decide on Sunbreak later, part of the core experience is fighting new monsters -> farming their equipment so you can fight new harder monsters -> repeat.

If you don't care about that or are planning to get Sunbreak, they're a hell of a shortcut.

Keep in mind though, when you hit Sunbreak, if you've been relying on the mega damage and relatively high DEF of that equipment, you're in for a rude awakening if you haven't also learned your weapon inside and out.

CAPSOL

Yea, each weapon is essentially its own game. Enjoy your time with it!

If you're not planning on buying Sunbreak or rushing to it, I recommend avoiding the "Defender" weapons and Black Belt armor set. They become a crutch and are mainly there to get as many people to Sunbreak as quickly as possible. If you're just going to enjoy the base game and decide on Sunbreak later, part of the core experience is fighting new monsters -> farming their equipment so you can fight new harder monsters -> repeat.

If you don't care about that or are planning to get Sunbreak, they're a hell of a shortcut.

Keep in mind though, when you hit Sunbreak, if you've been relying on the mega damage and relatively high DEF of that equipment, you're in for a rude awakening if you haven't also learned your weapon inside and out.
Excellent advice! I'm really enjoying the learning curve with each weapon. I can see mastering weapons is going to take a while before I 'git gud' and I'm cool with that.

Also, I definitely plan to avoid the defender set so I don't crutch myself going into MR(Sunbreak). :)

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Excellent advice! I'm really enjoying the learning curve with each weapon. I can see mastering weapons is going to take a while before I 'git gud' and I'm cool with that.

Also, I definitely plan to avoid the defender set so I don't crutch myself going into MR(Sunbreak). :)
The one thing I ALWASY sleep on are deploying items. Status effect items, flash bombs, etc. In higher level co-op hunts those things are a must and I have not worked them into my rhythm. I would say to set up your item shortcuts/loadouts early and start using some of that stuff. Just so you are familiar with their deploy time and effects.

The game is so damn fun. Enjoy the ride, it is VERY much worth the investment of your time.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
FLTTP.

Just wanted to say i really like this game. The style, ambiance, cute and colorful.

Played World on Pro for a good while but never got good at it.

The 60FPS, wirebug and riding your.... uhh dog adds so much for me. Playing with a big sword. As a girl of course haha.

Been mostly doing the starting quests (duh) and expeditions to chill out, explore the map and gathering.

I'm so used to Lock on lmao. It's about learning the monsters movement/attack patterns and placing yourself in the right spot at the right time!

And with the long wind up for attacks that's pretty tricky for a novice!

Secondly, managing using blinders and bombs or whatever in the heat of battle and such is very though atm. But that's just a case of "it'll come with time" I think.

Overall very happy and can't wait to have it all on autopilot and go apeshit on the monsters!

PS you can select different stuff to appear on the map and choose to only let, well let's say a Herb appear, but in the end I think it's really about ending up remembering where what is on the map. Is that correct? Because atm I'm constantly switching to see where this or that particular item is.

TLDR 🍆 Game.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Running, unsheathing. Shits takes a while. Need to get accustomed to it.

And using flashbombs through the radial menu is hard. Seems you have to predict a location and then face it and then select.

With that said. Gonna farm some pararahrooms to craft the tranqs.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Longsword mostly. I did sword and shield and the dual blades. I haven’t ventured outside that much.

aaron carter swords GIF by MTV Cribs

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Forged the second katana looking Long Sword. Need to gather shrooms and catch some jugra or whatever they're called to forge that armor set.

Imagine saying this when something is asking what your day is going to be IRL haha

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Dear hunters. I made a second radial for the traps and tranqs and such but they didn't activate. I was on a exploration mission. Wanted to catch a Jagra. But had to kill it. What gives?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah I know bae but the traps etc wouldn't activate from the second radial menu. Got the bastard blue and limping but again, radial 2 didn't responded on any input.

So me having 2 or more traps in the radial makes it void of use.
Were the other traps triggered? You can only have one of each type out in the world at a time. If they haven't been triggered, you can disable them by standing on top of them and pressing the prompt.

EDIT: Another possibility might be your radial is set for crafting and not actually laying down a trap.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Were the other traps triggered? You can only have one of each type out in the world at a time. If they haven't been triggered, you can disable them by standing on top of them and pressing the prompt.

EDIT: Another possibility might be your radial is set for crafting and not actually laying down a trap.

Ahh. Ok so 1: there are already pre "made" traps on the map.

2: I can only assign 1 trap type to my radial menu.

3: my second radial is set for crafting perhaps

Thank you will check it out.

Last edited:

Pejo

There are 2 types of traps for each type. You get the normal ones from crafting, that you put in your bag and bring with you. Then there are the "EZ" type traps which are the freebies given out in the box, which is a different item ID and will need to be set separately in the radials.

Also, in-town and in-field each have their own radials, so make sure you're setting the correct ones. It's kinda confusing at first.

Top Bottom