• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Pejo

Oh don't mind me, I was going through clips on my Switch to delete (too many) and spotted this one from weeks ago and thought it might be funny. It also shows that you can use the Mounted Punisher on a monster that was minding its own business.

Since you mentioned perma dung ball, I'm interpreting it as you not liking your target monster relocating after a Wyvern Ride???

Also what would the slugging it out part add? Believability? Chance for player to interrupt? I'm asking cause it's a bit vague as is.
So in World, for instance, when monsters came to the same area, they slugged it out for a while. They did damage to each other, and could mess you up if you got in the middle of it, but also gave you a good opportunity to go for tail cuts and stuff since the monsters would keep each other's attention for the most part. Then you usually got to see a turf war if you let it play out, and then the monster fucked off for a while. It was a risk/reward thing. For the older games, it was pretty much full detriment to have 2 monsters together in a zone since they didn't really care about each other. In Rise, not only will they instantly put one of them into a rideable state, but then when they end up in the same zone again later in the hunt, one of them will always run off again. There's no opportunity for 2 rides for the same set of monsters. I'm sure that was done by design to keep you from soloing a hut via wyvern riding, but it still kinda sucks. It'd be ok if you could still do decent part damage while somebody is riding a monster, but you can't. It's just a very 1 dimensional mechanic. Not saying it's all bad, but it's like whenever you see a 2nd monster enter an area that you're fighting, your mind instantly just goes, "oh cool, let me back up until one of them gets stunned and then ride it". There's no dynamic way for the situation to play out, it's always the same.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wyvern riding has its issues but I still prefer that over Clutch Claw in World any day.

One thing I would change from wyvern riding is only players can put Monsters in that rideable state, not other monsters.

Last edited:
So in World, for instance, when monsters came to the same area, they slugged it out for a while. They did damage to each other, and could mess you up if you got in the middle of it, but also gave you a good opportunity to go for tail cuts and stuff since the monsters would keep each other's attention for the most part. Then you usually got to see a turf war if you let it play out, and then the monster fucked off for a while. It was a risk/reward thing.
Glad I asked. This is the kind of elaboration I want (but can't expect everytime obviously, lol). I didn't play World that much so my impression of TW was that it was always free damage on at least one monster and I'd be an opportunist to get some parts from either one.
For the older games, it was pretty much full detriment to have 2 monsters together in a zone since they didn't really care about each other.
Yea they never did, though having an aggromon like Tigrex was always fun, just put the other monster in between at all times and let Tigrex charge away haha. I did that quite a bit in one arena quest in MHXX featuring Tigrex and Garuga.
In Rise, not only will they instantly put one of them into a rideable state, but then when they end up in the same zone again later in the hunt, one of them will always run off again. There's no opportunity for 2 rides for the same set of monsters.
From what I'm gathering in the rest of your post, it might be that your team of hunters is performing efficiently.

I play solo and I'm not a minmaxer, let me tell you that you can ride the same monster more than once per hunt, but there's a hidden cooldown (which I never bothered to time) and I've had many hunts where the initial monster that ran away after WR would meet up after enough time and get put into a rideable state again. You don't get the same number of monster mats this time from bashing them since I believe that's based on breaking parts.

I think Turf Wars happen based on predetermined pairs of monsters, usually meant to be a cinematic fight played out in realtime, in engine.

So stuff like Zinogre vs Mizutsune (fated match up since the MHX trailer) or Goss Harag vs Tetranadon (part time slugger vs sumo wrestler), Magnamalo vs Teostra (catfight) or in one particularly traumatic case, Magnamalo vs Aknosom (purely to bully Akno lol).
Not saying it's all bad, but it's like whenever you see a 2nd monster enter an area that you're fighting, your mind instantly just goes, "oh cool, let me back up until one of them gets stunned and then ride it". There's no dynamic way for the situation to play out, it's always the same.
Yea the main drawback of this IMO is that whenever a monster is rideable, the A button gets overridden in a large radius, so if you wanna pick up items you gotta at least ride the monster and crash it first.

That said, you do have options when riding. The monster that gets downed and punished will remain in the zone, the ridden one will leave and of course ramming another monster puts it into a rideable state immediately, provided it wasn't already ridden recently.

I've done things like riding my target monster, running around to find another monster, ram them then ride them to inflict blights and damage to my target monster and continue the fight. Or like the one time I rode Jyuratodus onto dry land so it couldn't hide in the water and then it got ganked by Narga and Zin who happened to be there lol.

I'm not sure how much of these can play out in MP, but my experience with it in solo has been great for the most part.

Pejo

Glad I asked. This is the kind of elaboration I want (but can't expect everytime obviously, lol). I didn't play World that much so my impression of TW was that it was always free damage on at least one monster and I'd be an opportunist to get some parts from either one.

Yea they never did, though having an aggromon like Tigrex was always fun, just put the other monster in between at all times and let Tigrex charge away haha. I did that quite a bit in one arena quest in MHXX featuring Tigrex and Garuga.

From what I'm gathering in the rest of your post, it might be that your team of hunters is performing efficiently.

I play solo and I'm not a minmaxer, let me tell you that you can ride the same monster more than once per hunt, but there's a hidden cooldown (which I never bothered to time) and I've had many hunts where the initial monster that ran away after WR would meet up after enough time and get put into a rideable state again. You don't get the same number of monster mats this time from bashing them since I believe that's based on breaking parts.

I think Turf Wars happen based on predetermined pairs of monsters, usually meant to be a cinematic fight played out in realtime, in engine.

So stuff like Zinogre vs Mizutsune (fated match up since the MHX trailer) or Goss Harag vs Tetranadon (part time slugger vs sumo wrestler), Magnamalo vs Teostra (catfight) or in one particularly traumatic case, Magnamalo vs Aknosom (purely to bully Akno lol).

Yea the main drawback of this IMO is that whenever a monster is rideable, the A button gets overridden in a large radius, so if you wanna pick up items you gotta at least ride the monster and crash it first.

That said, you do have options when riding. The monster that gets downed and punished will remain in the zone, the ridden one will leave and of course ramming another monster puts it into a rideable state immediately, provided it wasn't already ridden recently.

I've done things like riding my target monster, running around to find another monster, ram them then ride them to inflict blights and damage to my target monster and continue the fight. Or like the one time I rode Jyuratodus onto dry land so it couldn't hide in the water and then it got ganked by Narga and Zin who happened to be there lol.

I'm not sure how much of these can play out in MP, but my experience with it in solo has been great for the most part.
Bolded is really interesting. I hadn't considered that there would be a cooldown for it. I know it can be forced with trap spiders, but that's cool if that's how it works. I'll have to test it out later. I do agree with you that once you're on the monster, there are a lot of options of what to do and how to treat it. My own problem, though, is that maximum efficiency (which I have a hard time not following) is to Ride Mon1 -> Attack until timer is almost up for part break drops -> Ram into Mon2, which puts him in a ridable state -> Jump on Mon2 -> fill gauge and get part break drops -> finisher or wall bang depending if Mon2 is the target or not.

It'd be cool if there was something more random or dynamic that could happen with the system, I guess is my whole criticism of it. It's fine for most people who probably play through the story and do some hub stuff, but for me who puts hundreds of hours in by the end of the life of the game, it just gets tiresome like watching the same cutscenes through repeated playthroughs of a game.

One thing I would change from wyvern riding is only players can put Monsters in that rideable state, not other monsters.
I think they went with what works best for the player. If they implemented your suggestion then the player would end up with these choices when faced with multiple monsters:
  • Always carry Dung Bombs
  • Always carry 1-2 Puppet Spiders
  • Always carry a Farcaster
  • Always run away
  • Just cart and wait
Basically it all boils down to "someone's gotta go" because it's very unlikely that you'll want 2-3 monsters on your ass in the same zone.

And the general design philosophy in Rise seems to be avoiding having the player need to carry too many mandatory items (some of this started in World), like you can still carry the items I mentioned but it'd be because you want to and not because you need to.

Bolded is really interesting. I hadn't considered that there would be a cooldown for it. I know it can be forced with trap spiders, but that's cool if that's how it works. I'll have to test it out later. I do agree with you that once you're on the monster, there are a lot of options of what to do and how to treat it. My own problem, though, is that maximum efficiency (which I have a hard time not following) is to Ride Mon1 -> Attack until timer is almost up for part break drops -> Ram into Mon2, which puts him in a ridable state -> Jump on Mon2 -> fill gauge and get part break drops -> finisher or wall bang depending if Mon2 is the target or not.

It'd be cool if there was something more random or dynamic that could happen with the system, I guess is my whole criticism of it. It's fine for most people who probably play through the story and do some hub stuff, but for me who puts hundreds of hours in by the end of the life of the game, it just gets tiresome like watching the same cutscenes through repeated playthroughs of a game.
Just so you know Puppet Spiders don't negate the cooldown, if they're still on that timer you'll just waste the spider, I learnt this when I tried it in the demo in a desperate bid to dish out more damage to Maggie.

Hmm, when you say more dynamic/random I take it you're referring to the canned outcome of "two monsters meet up, one becomes rideable"? Cause otherwise I can't agree with everything else.

It'd be a different story if I couldn't ride a monster out of the zone if another monster was around.

And I guess you know this but just in case: monsters have varying attacks based on your left-stick + attack input, so even choosing the attacks you want for certain blights, timings or hitboxes is a thing.

I gotta say I haven't explored WR thoroughly enough myself: Diversion decoration, Stinkmink etc. I just think for a first iteration of giving the player control of monsters it's pretty well thought out, though I'm also sure there'll be tweaks in the future, maybe with the expansion.

Anyway, while making the earlier joke post involving Pejo, I thought it'd be fun if some of us repped various MHR monsters in our avatars.

And then anyone here can feel free to post a screenshot or clip of them owning (or getting owned by) the monster and tagging the relevant user in it.

Eg. If you have a badass clip vs Mizutsune, feel free to post it and tag me in, maybe craft a light mock story for it as well, it's all for fun. Self pwns are fine as well:
Mizutsune thought he was smart but the drift on both joycon sticks were way ahead of him.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Doing the Allmother quest now. Failed 3 times now. This fight has way too many effects going on at once. Can't see shit along with other players fainting after that ultimate move.

EDIT: Okay got it the 4th time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Doing the Allmother quest now. Failed 3 times now. This fight has way too many effects going on at once. Can't see shit along with other players fainting after that ultimate move.
In my opinion when you fighting a monster for the first time, do it solo to experience the full fight without interference.

Last edited:
Hawks Eclipse Hawks Eclipse I never recorded myself playing before, so this is not my best moment. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Ouch, you even had to do so much damage to my Apex form. Just you wait, lol!

Oh and don't worry about it not being your best performance or whatever, it's just a way of having some interesting and entertaining clips in here.

What monster would you want to be represented by, Zinogre?? If you don't pick a good monster I'm going to designate you with Bombadgy :D

Danjin44

Ouch, you even had to do so much damage to my Apex form. Just you wait, lol!

Oh and don't worry about it not being your best performance or whatever, it's just a way of having some interesting and entertaining clips in here.

What monster would you want to be represented by, Zinogre?? If you don't pick a good monster I'm going to designate you with Bombadgy :D
Zinogre is good, I do like fighting with him.

Danjin44

Danjinouga: Watch as I enter my final foooo...

Me: Oh, behave!

I'll try to capture an interesting Apex Zinogre clip sometime!
tenor.gif

Hitting while I’m charging. :messenger_winking:

Been binging Rampage mode solo with two Palamutes for the past ~10 days to unlock the rest of the Apex monsters and I think it's a lot of fun.

The Apex monsters really show off their ramped up moves in this mode; Apex Rathalos doing the equivalent of an orbital bombardment had me in awe. He still has that move in regular hunts but it's only a single shot.

Love hearing the war cries of some of the Kamura NPCs like Master Utsushi and Yomogi (TATATATATATATATATATA!) such that I switched to Japanese voices just to hear them after almost 200 hours in MH language. Both JP and MH languages seem to be using the same voice actors.

I've always been the kind of player who likes managing chaos in games via multitasking, so the mode has been right up my alley. Bashing on an Apex while it's being mercilessly pelted by my installations is also appealing in a primal way.

The worst part about Rampage is that there are only two layouts and it's seemingly chosen at random. As such the level's interplay with the monsters isn't nearly as dynamic as in a regular hunt. However, this mode is also the only time where there can be up to four large monsters spawned in; regular is capped at three AFAIK.

Here's a trio of Diablos and one target called Magnamalo.
DMjdp0m.jpg

Lastly, a clip of me KSing Elder Fugen, lol.

Pejo

Shame.

Seems they’re done with big stuff until g-rank expansion.
Agreed. This game definitely did not have the legs of World, as far as keeping the playerbase interested. I have to think that at least part of that is how awful Nintendo's online system is. Even trying to do basic communication with my friends on Switch about what we want to fight next is awful and laborious. We used Google Hangouts for a while when we were playing often, which worked pretty well, but that also ties up your phone for the duration that you're playing.

I'll probably wait until the PC version to buy the G rank stuff, no sense double dipping on Switch at that point.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Agreed. This game definitely did not have the legs of World, as far as keeping the playerbase interested. I have to think that at least part of that is how awful Nintendo's online system is. Even trying to do basic communication with my friends on Switch about what we want to fight next is awful and laborious. We used Google Hangouts for a while when we were playing often, which worked pretty well, but that also ties up your phone for the duration that you're playing.

I'll probably wait until the PC version to buy the G rank stuff, no sense double dipping on Switch at that point.

Shame you’re ditching switch.

I was hoping we’d hunt together some day.

Pejo

Shame you’re ditching switch.

I was hoping we’d hunt together some day.
I bought the whole year subscription for Nintendo Online, and I'm always down for a hunt. I just probably won't double dip G-Rank on it, depending on when it releases. We'll see what the timing/announcement looks like. Kinda ironic that the PC version will probably be better even in handheld mode once the Deck releases.

I was really holding out that we were getting a Switch Pro instead of the OLED version, that was a big bummer. The current framerate in handheld mode is ok, but on my TV it looks awful.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I bought the whole year subscription for Nintendo Online, and I'm always down for a hunt. I just probably won't double dip G-Rank on it, depending on when it releases. We'll see what the timing/announcement looks like. Kinda ironic that the PC version will probably be better even in handheld mode once the Deck releases.

I was really holding out that we were getting a Switch Pro instead of the OLED version, that was a big bummer. The current framerate in handheld mode is ok, but on my TV it looks awful.

We’ve got the Amaterasu event opening up this Saturday… wanna have a go?

Last edited:

Pejo

Akuma himself looks like shit, IMO, but boy does he look fun to play. This was totally out of left field for me personally, but I can't wait to try playing as him.

Wyvern riding has its issues but I still prefer that over Clutch Claw in World any day.

I would make it so you can press a specific button to cancel the ride altogether before it begins. Would be nice to have a way to “opt out”

Danjin44

Not as frequent as before but I'm still playing Rise, mostly doing Event quest whenever they come out.

Pejo

looking at the rude comments on twitter , if its was intended the developer would have announce CP/CS before the game's release or via their own 'direct'
With how far behind Nintendo is with Online offerings and infrastructure, I had no doubt that there wouldn't be crossplay. Cross save was also a pie-in-the-sky dream. No biggie though, that's why I stopped playing the Switch version a few months ago.

Lanrutcon

Not gonna play the demo.

Just going to blind buy.

It's MH. At this point you either know what the series offers or you don't, and I've been playing since like 2006.

I do have one question though: why is there a dog?

Top Bottom