• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Pejo

Stay on the monster 100% of the time doing damage

"defensive"

:rolleyes:
In my hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing MH, I have never seen a player use evade lance to stay offensive. Maybe it's something that doesn't work in Multi where you don't always have the monsters attention or whatever, but the play I've seen is mostly people hiding and poking behind their shields on the more aggressive monsters.

Let's see your vid of you "staying on the monster 100% of the time doing damage". And don't @ me with a youtube speedrun (unless it's yours).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I2RBAzV.jpg

I did everything perfectly.....
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
In my hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing MH, I have never seen a player use evade lance to stay offensive. Maybe it's something that doesn't work in Multi where you don't always have the monsters attention or whatever, but the play I've seen is mostly people hiding and poking behind their shields on the more aggressive monsters.

Let's see your vid of you "staying on the monster 100% of the time doing damage". And don't @ me with a youtube speedrun (unless it's yours).

Wait, so videos where people show the lance being used offensively and skillfully aren't allowed? That's amusing.

And you don't use evade lancing since 4u, you use counters, shield advances, and the occasional block to keep offensive guard buff. This video isn't a speedrun, the guy whiffs and makes mistakes here and there but you can see how modern lance is played:

Pejo

Wait, so videos where people show the lance being used offensively and skillfully aren't allowed? That's amusing.

And you don't use evade lancing since 4u, you use counters, shield advances, and the occasional block to keep offensive guard buff. This video isn't a speedrun, the guy whiffs and makes mistakes here and there but you can see how modern lance is played:

"Don't link me a youtube speedrun"
"here's a youtube speedrun bro"

Worthless. This is like saying the general playerbase of Super Mario bros plays like this:

TheKratos

Lance is definitely a defensive weapon and people shouldn't be offended by being called a defensive player. I rather have a safe and solid lance teammate who doesn't cart than a meta sweatlord LS user who carts within 5 minutes (happens a lot vs Mango). Over the years Lance did get more attacking capabilities like offensive guard and counters.

Personally never used lance in any MH but I do occasionally gunlance and it's hella fun.

e&e

Banned
There is so much information in this game I’m trying to wrap my head around. What are the skills? How do I use them, so confused!

Methos#1975

Holy hell, anyone know a sure fire way to get a Anjanath plate? Killed over 30 of them now and not one plate even though I break every part I can and cut the tails off.

Pejo

There is so much information in this game I’m trying to wrap my head around. What are the skills? How do I use them, so confused!
There's quite a few systems and subsystems, and they come on rather quickly in low rank. Each weapon has a set of skills that are generally considered better than others. A lot of the time, you can get by with generic survivability skills and damage skills etc. A few pages ago I posted a link to Reddit that had a decent list of skills per weapon that would be useful. Also, don't worry about any of this too much until High Rank. You'll cycle through stuff very quickly until the latter half of high rank and beyond.

Here's the link:

Anyways, you can get skills from 3 sources.

Armor skills are just baked in to each armor piece. They vary in number by each piece of armor. This usually leads people that prioritize skills at the endgame to wear a mishmash of different armor sets (commonly referred to as clownsuits). You can hit the Right stick while examining the armor piece to go into a help menu of sorts and see what each of them do.

High rank armor and beyond also have decoration slots. There are 3 sizes of deco slots, and each HR armor can have between 0 and 3 slots, of varying size. Decorations are craftable once you hit high rank, and they allow you to supplement armor with slots with extra skills that otherwise wouldn't be available on that particular armor piece. When you get to be able to craft the decorations, you will see if it's a size 1/2/3, and each decoration can only go into a slot that's the same size or bigger. In other words you can put a size 1 decoration in a size 3 slot, but usually the size 1 decoration skills are considered less desirable, so keep track of which decorations you put in which slot. Weapons can also have decoration slots, but they're uncommon usually until the endgame.

Then you have Talismans. You make these at the merchant/melder. They are just a RNG-dependent necklace that you wear that you can get essentially a free skill on. With the vast RNG in this game, this is pretty much the end game grind currently, trying to get that "perfect" talisman to finish out your clownsuit. They can have between (I think) 1-3 skills, and 0-3 decoration slots.

No matter which weapon you are using, there are some Quality of Life skills that you should have if you play online. Mostly Flinch Free (just 1 point is fine) because otherwise when you play with others, particularly longsword and bowguns will friendly fire hit you. This doesn't do damage, but it will interrupt you and make you unable to move, so you can run into all sorts of shit because of it. If you are still getting used to the game and get hit/have to heal a lot, Free Meal and Divine Blessing are also good QoL skills. The first allows you to use potions and healing items without consuming them a certain % of the time, and Divine Blessing just flat out decreases damage taken based on RNG.

If you have any particular questions, let me know.

Holy hell, anyone know a sure fire way to get a Anjanath plate? Killed over 30 of them now and not one plate even though I break every part I can and cut the tails off.
Unfortunately, you're getting hit by the desire sensor. It's all RNG. Plates in High Rank look to be 7% droprate whether captured/reward/carved, so I'd personally go capture for the reduced hunt time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Try capturing the Monster couple of time and Also if you go in to your Hunter's note and go to Large Monsters it will tell you the % drop rate for Materials.

e&e

Banned
There's quite a few systems and subsystems, and they come on rather quickly in low rank. Each weapon has a set of skills that are generally considered better than others. A lot of the time, you can get by with generic survivability skills and damage skills etc. A few pages ago I posted a link to Reddit that had a decent list of skills per weapon that would be useful. Also, don't worry about any of this too much until High Rank. You'll cycle through stuff very quickly until the latter half of high rank and beyond.

Here's the link:

Anyways, you can get skills from 3 sources.

Armor skills are just baked in to each armor piece. They vary in number by each piece of armor. This usually leads people that prioritize skills at the endgame to wear a mishmash of different armor sets (commonly referred to as clownsuits). You can hit the Right stick while examining the armor piece to go into a help menu of sorts and see what each of them do.

High rank armor and beyond also have decoration slots. There are 3 sizes of deco slots, and each HR armor can have between 0 and 3 slots, of varying size. Decorations are craftable once you hit high rank, and they allow you to supplement armor with slots with extra skills that otherwise wouldn't be available on that particular armor piece. When you get to be able to craft the decorations, you will see if it's a size 1/2/3, and each decoration can only go into a slot that's the same size or bigger. In other words you can put a size 1 decoration in a size 3 slot, but usually the size 1 decoration skills are considered less desirable, so keep track of which decorations you put in which slot. Weapons can also have decoration slots, but they're uncommon usually until the endgame.

Then you have Talismans. You make these at the merchant/melder. They are just a RNG-dependent necklace that you wear that you can get essentially a free skill on. With the vast RNG in this game, this is pretty much the end game grind currently, trying to get that "perfect" talisman to finish out your clownsuit. They can have between (I think) 1-3 skills, and 0-3 decoration slots.

No matter which weapon you are using, there are some Quality of Life skills that you should have if you play online. Mostly Flinch Free (just 1 point is fine) because otherwise when you play with others, particularly longsword and bowguns will friendly fire hit you. This doesn't do damage, but it will interrupt you and make you unable to move, so you can run into all sorts of shit because of it. If you are still getting used to the game and get hit/have to heal a lot, Free Meal and Divine Blessing are also good QoL skills. The first allows you to use potions and healing items without consuming them a certain % of the time, and Divine Blessing just flat out decreases damage taken based on RNG.

If you have any particular questions, let me know.

Unfortunately, you're getting hit by the desire sensor. It's all RNG. Plates in High Rank look to be 7% droprate whether captured/reward/carved, so I'd personally go capture for the reduced hunt time.

Thanks!

Deep systems! I see that each skill has a level too, do I upgrade that? Also I just finished my first rampage (which was really cool and a nice change of pace) and they are now introducing Rampage Skills 😱! Are those supposed to be different than regular skills! Also what is Affinity! Sorry for so much questions!

Pejo

Thanks!

Deep systems! I see that each skill has a level too, do I upgrade that? Also I just finished my first rampage (which was really cool and a nice change of pace) and they are now introducing Rampage Skills 😱! Are those supposed to be different than regular skills! Also what is Affinity! Sorry for so much questions!
You can't directly upgrade skills on armor, that's where the decorations come in to either supplement some of the skills levels themselves or add brand new skills to your armor. Upgrading armor literally ONLY upgrades the defense value. A quick note about that - there's a softcap on how much you can upgrade armor based on story/hub progress. After a "major" event or an urgent quest, it's always worth looking to see if you can upgrade your armor again. Higher rarity of armor will naturally have higher defense, but you can still keep leveling up lower rarity stuff and it generally stays a little behind, but competitive. Rampage skills I haven't messed much with, but you use those tickets you get from doing Rampage quests to give your weapon a bonus skill. It seems that those available skills change as your weapon rarity goes up, so it's worth looking at them from time to time. Generally you want to pick the attack/affinity bonuses for weapons (Affinity = crit rate in this game).

Using the switch axe, how do you get it to shoot? I've done it once, but can't figure out how to do it.
If you mean the discharge move that ends with a big explosion, you hit X+A at the same time in sword mode, then mash X. If you do it while the sword icon is filled and glowing, you can mount the monster and jam it in their bodies and discharge it.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
You can't directly upgrade skills on armor, that's where the decorations come in to either supplement some of the skills levels themselves or add brand new skills to your armor. Upgrading armor literally ONLY upgrades the defense value. A quick note about that - there's a softcap on how much you can upgrade armor based on story/hub progress. After a "major" event or an urgent quest, it's always worth looking to see if you can upgrade your armor again. Higher rarity of armor will naturally have higher defense, but you can still keep leveling up lower rarity stuff and it generally stays a little behind, but competitive. Rampage skills I haven't messed much with, but you use those tickets you get from doing Rampage quests to give your weapon a bonus skill. It seems that those available skills change as your weapon rarity goes up, so it's worth looking at them from time to time. Generally you want to pick the attack/affinity bonuses for weapons (Affinity = crit rate in this game).

If you mean the discharge move that ends with a big explosion, you hit X+A at the same time in sword mode, then mash X. If you do it while the sword icon is filled and glowing, you can mount the monster and jam it in their bodies and discharge it.
No, its like the axe makes a bunch of explosions at the end of it. I've done the discharge move, what I'm asking about isn't mounted.

e&e

Banned

Thanks! So Skills only come with Armor and Rampage Skills are for weapons then?

And on another note, the battle music gets you HYPE! Such a great soundtrack!

Pejo

No, its like the axe makes a bunch of explosions at the end of it. I've done the discharge move, what I'm asking about isn't mounted.
Oh I think that's just using Axe mode after your sword mode gauge is full. It will do bonus hits every swing with whatever type of damage your phial is for as long as your sword gauge is charged. You can use the skill Power Prolonger to make it last longer.
Thanks! So Skills only come with Armor and Rampage Skills are for weapons then?

And on another note, the battle music gets you HYPE! Such a great soundtrack!
Yea as far as I've seen. I haven't played with Rampage stuff much though. They don't seem to be earth shattering, but more like nice little bonuses. There may be some more complexity to them with the "rampage" tree weapons, not sure.

Either way Armor skills, Decorations, and Talismans will be the majority of your build.

Same ol G

That's the amped state your talking about.
If you look at your phial meter you'll notice a white line around it.
Everytime a move connects you see the line growing, when it's complete you enter amped state every hit will give an extra explosion.
Keep in mind that it differs per weapon how many hits it takes to enter amped state.
Amped state is also necessary to mount with X+A so the moment you can mount you'll see that all your hits are doing extra damage.
Also i posted my almudron build a few messages above, i don't like the clownsuits without transmog so this is the best i can come up with atm.
I can really recommend using power prolonger in combination with rapid morph if you have the slots, or just build the almudron suit and max out the skills.
AACg7P3.jpg

Edit. I noticed we are already on the next page, this is the build i'm using atm.
Ow yeah forgot 1 thing, you can only build up the meter in sword mode.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Worthless. This is like saying the general playerbase of Super Mario bros plays like this:

Lol "speedrun". Rise speedruns are happening in the 2min-3min window.

In any case you have been shown how the lance moveset is used to offensively stay on the monster with as much uptime as possible, which is its value. If you refuse to understand it "because big shield lul" then I can't do anything anymore 🤷‍♂️

TheKratos

Hahaha don't worry I use Long Sword a lot as well, I love it. I have like 30 loadouts spread across Great Sword, Hammer, Long Sword, Dual Blades, Gunlance, HBG, LBG, Switch Axe and CB.

You probably know what I'm referring to though, the LS dude with the baggy pants and narga LS that carts within 5 min when encountering Mango alone xD. At the same time I'm happy when I see LS teammates because I know the hunt will go fast, they're usually good players.

nerdface

Banned
So from a noob perspective, the lance is definitely more about the monster than me, while the CB is the reverse.

CB is fun, but I’m keeping track of trying to weave my shield power up and axe spin into the mix. With the morph, you have access to a counter and/or guard, but it’s a lot for me and my mind starts forgetting about the AI I’m fighting.

I like both, but I’m going to spend some more time with the lance because I like having control.

Maybe lance for single player cause I always have aggro. In multiplayer I can twirl a spinning axe of flying damage numbers.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

>Skillful lance use
>Also makes mistakes, knocked on their ass twice when they could have blocked, pops potions

Pick one.

That said you are correct in that it shows how modern lance gameplay is like. It was boring before and it is boring now. You have to be a special person to like Lance.

Instead of combos Lance focuses on 1 command at a time generally by the rule of 3's.

Glad we cleared that up.

Quick hunts aren't going to happen often with lance. Something a Lance can clear in 5 minutes, DBs, CB or SA is going to clear in 2 minutes.

Reliance on blocks means you won't be on the monster's ass 24/7. Unlike the other weapons that have more mobility and combo centric power over the Lance.

Lance isn't bad it's just as for pure DPS others do it better. Tank wise the Lance is probably one of the best weapons out there.

Pejo

Lol "speedrun". Rise speedruns are happening in the 2min-3min window.

In any case you have been shown how the lance moveset is used to offensively stay on the monster with as much uptime as possible, which is its value. If you refuse to understand it "because big shield lul" then I can't do anything anymore 🤷‍♂️
So I'm supposed to accept it just because it was a bad speedrun? Ok then. I don't know why your panties are in a bunch about this anyways, my whole point was that Lance is not an "exciting" weapon with big/fun animations and moves. I never said it wasn't a fun weapon to play, nor did I say it wasn't effective. My only other point about lance was that it's a defensive style weapon, and to try to say that counters aren't a defensive mechanism, I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

nerdface

Banned
So I'm supposed to accept it just because it was a bad speedrun? Ok then. I don't know why your panties are in a bunch about this anyways, my whole point was that Lance is not an "exciting" weapon with big/fun animations and moves. I never said it wasn't a fun weapon to play, nor did I say it wasn't effective. My only other point about lance was that it's a defensive style weapon, and to try to say that counters aren't a defensive mechanism, I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

True, but it’s waaay easier to hit stuff in the head than a giant swinging blade of noob failure.

Probably not an issue if you already have your timing down. 🤪

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I'm supposed to accept it just because it was a bad speedrun? Ok then. I don't know why your panties are in a bunch about this anyways, my whole point was that Lance is not an "exciting" weapon with big/fun animations and moves. I never said it wasn't a fun weapon to play, nor did I say it wasn't effective. My only other point about lance was that it's a defensive style weapon, and to try to say that counters aren't a defensive mechanism, I'm not sure what to tell you about that.50

So LS, SNS, LBG and other weapons evades aren't "defensive"? Please.

Danjin44

LS’s “defensive” is much more aggressive compare to other weapons, since by countering it lets you consistently damaging the monster while defending against their attacks.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Those are faster weapons with a more aggressive playstyle where their only defense is by evasion since they do not have a shield or the shield strength to take hits.

HBG/LNC/GL/CB are tankier and more defensive by default.

The other weapons are faster and have a high risk high reward playstyle.

Danjin44

It looks like we getting even more Apex Monsters.

This could have been very exciting if these Apex monster weren't exclusive to Rampage Quests, so far this my only issue with Rise.

Pejo

It looks like we getting even more Apex Monsters.

This could have been very exciting if these Apex monster weren't exclusive to Rampage Quests, so far this my only issue with Rise.

Ah man, they're all going to be rampage exclusive? Yuck. I want to do a hunt vs. Apex Arzuros already.

Danjin44

Ah man, they're all going to be rampage exclusive? Yuck. I want to do a hunt vs. Apex Arzuros already.
Same, their attack patterns are interesting and they hit hard but none of that matters because most of the time they lose interest in you and they go attack the gates. in Rampage Quests none of the mastery your weapon matters because there is too much going on screen and you can barely focus on the actual fight.

Last edited:

Sejan

Every Anjanath fight I join is nothing but bowgunners. It’s annoying since I need a tail, and none of the fights have ever cut the tail.

Danjin44

Every Anjanath fight I join is nothing but bowgunners. It’s annoying since I need a tail, and none of the fights have ever cut the tail.
His tail easy to cut especially compare to Almudron, choose either Lance, LS or GS and just hunt solo and cut off his tail.

Last edited:

Pejo

Danjin44

Hoping for:

• Standard apex hunts
  • Chameleos reveal
  • 2-3 variants (not terribly exciting but it's something new to hunt)
  • Next teaser on returning/new monster(s)
  • Hopefully another new monster or two other than Chameleos
  • First collab info
Good list and hoping for the same, especially for letting us properly hunt Apex Monsters.

Same ol G

Supposed leaker has info on the upcoming digital event.

Fucking HYPED for Valstrax

If that monster is gonna be in this update i'm gonna be so hyped.
That was one of the more brutal battles in GU.
I can't wait to fight that jet engine

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Dude, that was a village tigrex. Has half the hitpoints of a solo hub quest, in which case that would've taken 2x time, 10 minutes. If you call speedrun a solo hub 10 minutes... yeah that it ain't. Let me give you numbers: that village tigrex has 5000 hitpoints. The magnamalo hr hub quest, has 16000 hitpoints solo and lance speedrunners do it in 4 minutes.

edit: here's the kiranico numbers: https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/quests/866171679 and https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/quests/748044951

Last edited:

Pejo

Dude, that was a village tigrex. Has half the hitpoints of a solo hub quest, in which case that would've taken 2x time, 10 minutes. If you call speedrun a solo hub 10 minutes... yeah that it ain't. Let me give you numbers: that village tigrex has 5000 hitpoints. The magnamalo hr hub quest, has 16000 hitpoints solo and lance speedrunners do it in 4 minutes.

edit: here's the kiranico numbers: https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/quests/866171679 and https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/quests/748044951
You're still on about this? I don't give a shit anymore. I don't even remember what you were arguing about. Lance is the best!11!! There, are you happy? Can we discuss other things now?

Top Bottom