• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

6* star high rank Zinogre is harder than Magnamalo in the demo.... I managed to beat it somehow but it was first quest I failed once.
HBG helps so much on Zinogre. All I do is just focus on slicing ammo on the tail non-stop. And throw out a flash bomb anytime he starts building up for super saiyan 2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
HBG helps so much on Zinogre. All I do is just focus on slicing ammo on the tail non-stop. And throw out a flash bomb anytime he starts building up for super saiyan 2.
Actually my Palico often uses flash bombs and poison traps, his been very helpful to me. With that being said I'm a melee fighter, I love to fight Monster as close to them as possible.

Last edited:

Pejo

Just in Village. Pretty sure they have far more than they used to in the hub.
Yep the hub monsters start out with a lot more in 1P, but really ramp up for 2-4P. There was a chart earlier in the thread that showed it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Finally picked up my melee weapon in Switch Axe. Probably the funnest melee in the game for me. That discharge by jumping on the monster is hype.

Can't get into the other melees for some reason. I've spent at least 3 hours trying them all in the training room. And only Switch Axe clicks. Damn.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Finally picked up my melee weapon in Switch Axe. Probably the funnest melee in the game for me. That discharge by jumping on the monster is hype.

Can't get into the other melees for some reason. I've spent at least 3 hours trying them all in the training room. And only Switch Axe clicks. Damn.

As long as one shoe fits you can walk ;)

Brazen

Midway through HR now and I swear the monster A.I. in rise can read my thoughts.

*places trap at feet of monster, he cancels to recovery and jumps away*
Ok, I'll just run to opposite side of map.
*monster stays on other side and lobs ranged attacks for 2 minutes*
*...*
*monter flees to another area*
*...*

OR

*readies counter attack, monster switches to delayed attack or charges to the side*
Really!?

Last edited:
Midway through HR now and I swear the monster A.I. in rise can read my thoughts.

*places trap at feet of monster, he cancels to recovery and jumps away*
Ok, I'll just run to opposite side of map.
*monster stays on other side and lobs ranged attacks for 2 minutes*
*...*
*monter flees to another area*
*...*

OR

*readies counter attack, monster switches to delayed attack or charges to the side*
Really!?
see post above ^ lol

nerdface

Banned
Game is rad. Almost done with 6 star village. Did some multiplayer.

QpavenE.jpg

Danjin44

Probably has the same 3% chance on cap, horns and tail as Zinogre did. They all show up eventually.
The fight is really fun so I don't mind the grind but people got worried over nothing when they first said you need less materials for crafting.

Pejo

Turns out you cannot get some material from capture

Yep this has almost always been the case. Also noteworthy is that you can get them from part breaks and monster riding damage, which is a lot more common in this game than past games. I still almost always capture just to shave off the 5 or so minutes from the hunt when they start limping.

Something else I've been noticing. When you have 2 monsters facing off and one of them knocks the other into a "ridable" state, it seems that the best bang for your buck is to ride monster A, attack until gauge is full, then instead of doing the big attack, do the Y ramming attack into the other monster. It will knock your monster down and put the other monster immediately in riding state. This way you get shitloads of materials on the ground and pretty decent damage to both monsters. If monster B is the target monster, I'll also ram it into the wall instead of doing the finisher attack too, just for the down time and tie-up. The finisher is kinda lame other than being a guaranteed knockdown for the target monster.

Shaqazooloo

They could've spaced out or did something different with the tutorials, honestly its like DOOM Eternal and its annoying having a box pop up everytime I try to do something, but from the few hours I've played its a fun game.

I especially like traveling using the wirebugs, its really fun. So far my favorite weapon is the Switch Blade I think. Combat feels a lot better than the other Monster Hunter games I've tried.

IKSTUGA

42 hours in and still absolutely loving it! Only need a couple of things from 7 star hub quests and my hammer build is done. Probably going to try another weapon after that :messenger_tongue:

Does everyone take the Palamute on Hub quests?

I assumed it was the best choice because of the mobility but I've encountered several Japanese players bringing their palico instead.

nerdface

Banned
Does everyone take the Palamute on Hub quests?

I assumed it was the best choice because of the mobility but I've encountered several Japanese players bringing their palico instead.

oh that’s interesting...I wonder if the warp camps are close enough that the kitty is worth it?

I noticed it runs and un-stuns me a lot in combat, plus heals.

Last edited:

Eevee86

The fight is really fun so I don't mind the grind but people got worried over nothing when they first said you need less materials for crafting.
I can see why they did it. The melding pot will gobble up all your extra stuff. It still takes a few fights to make a complete set, more if it needs a rare drop usually.

Eevee86

Are you fighting him on Hr hub quests or solo village?
Can't get the rare drops for the high rank gear out of the village, just Plates.
oh that’s interesting...I wonder if the warp camps are close enough that the kitty is worth it?

I noticed it runs and un-stuns me a lot in combat, plus heals.
Doggo will knock you out of stuff as well, but the kitteh has all sorts of useful tools like poison traps and buff drums.

Yeah, maybe I should give my palico some love. They have significantly better items. Just have to run there like you used to in past games. You'd have to memorize all the shortcuts and great wirebugs for sure though or you'll just be so far behind the entire time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think both Palicos and palamutes have useful stuff but I think Palico's can get enraged or do powerful shit when buffed with Felvine.

Palamutes are great for mobility and killing trash. You can also sharpen weapons while moving on doggo. Very useful. Also you can carve off doggo. Like woah.

YOLO DOGGO JENKINS with barrel bombs is also a thing.

Last edited:
I have Palicoes on rampages and Palamutes on hub quests.
That's what I was thinking as well.

Palamutes are great for mobility and killing trash. You can also sharpen weapons while moving on doggo. Very useful. Also you can carve off doggo. Like woah.
All valid points and the reason why I've been taking the dog on Hub hunts.

I think I read a post on /r/monsterhuntermeta that talked about damage output and the fact that the cats have a higher potential output. Maybe that's why I've seen some people take them on HR Hub quests? Maybe the mobility and ability to sharpen/carve/etc... on the run doesn't trump the damage the cat can do?

blackjon24

Finished all the story and hub content. I did quite like the game. Even though I had heard about its issues before i really wasn’t prepared for how abruptly/incomplete it ends. I think it will turn out to be a really great game after the patches and DLC. If I were to compare base games I would have to go with world. I found it much more innovative, immersive and more memorable new monsters.

Glad we’ve got these portable games in between the main releases, makes the wait not that bad

Last edited:

Danjin44

I have so much more fun playing with other people. Even if you fail, it's just fun to see what everyone does and fun to try and help others through quests.
I’m just not in to playing with other people, I tried and I never had fun as much as hunting solo. It was same with Soul series, I always have best time playing solo.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Finished all the story and hub content. I did quite like the game. Even though I had heard about its issues before i really wasn’t prepared for how abruptly/incomplete it ends. I think it will turn out to be a really great game after the patches and DLC. If I were to compare base games I would have to go with world. I found it much more innovative, immersive and more memorable new monsters.

Glad we’ve got these portable games in between the main releases, makes the wait not that bad

I think rise is a little lean.

In part it's because how smooth it is, there's nothing that causes friction: logistic needs have been greatly reduced since max potions are useless, cold and hot potions are gone, and there's very little gear checks unlike world. The maps are less confusing and easier to navigate and with palamute + rope bug you move a long at a great pace.

So, with Capcom attending E3 this year... Do you think they might announce something G Rank related? Or is it too soon?

Between World and Iceborne, that was almost 2 years...

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So, with Capcom attending E3 this year... Do you think they might announce something G Rank related? Or is it too soon?
I think that information would probably come out closer to the PC release next year. However, I think they'll show the big signature monsters coming as free dlc at E3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom