• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

eo2sj2Y.png

Rise to the challenge and join the hunt!​

qQVa4Kb.png

Hunt solo or in a party with friends to earn rewards that you can use to craft a huge variety of weapons and armor. Brand new gameplay systems such as the high-flying ‘Wire Action’ and your canine companion ‘Palamute’ will add exciting new layers to the already robust combat that Monster Hunter is known for.

PLATFORMS: Switch March 26, 2021; PC 2022 (IGN)
GENRE: Action RPG
RATING: ESRB Teen
PLAYERS: 1 (1-4 Online Co-Op)

🔷 ABOUT

Monster Hunter Rise is an action RPG that will transport players to the colorful Kamura Village, an all-new serene mountain locale that attracts visitors with its unique culture and innovative hunting technologies. After hunters equip their armor and select from one of the various weapon types, all-new hunting grounds await, including the ancient Shrine Ruins and more. As players defeat monsters and progress through the game, items from fallen foes can be used to craft unique weapons and armor that will increase their chances of future success and survival. Hunters can tackle these challenges solo, or with up to three other players in local or cooperative online play.
Evolving the Monster Hunter series, Monster Hunter Rise will provide players with an inventive set of new tools to track down and defeat threatening monsters. For the first time ever in a Monster Hunter game, wire-based grappling actions can be performed by using a “Wirebug” while standing or in mid-air, adding an all-new level of aerial maneuverability to hunting strategies and attacks. The game will also debut new hunting partners called Palamutes, personalized and rideable “Canyne” companions that will provide players with a new set of attack options, while “Felyne” Palicoes will return as support characters for actions like healing.

🔷 FEATURES

Rise to New Heights – The debut of the new “Wirebug” mechanic allows for wire-based grappling actions that can be used to scale cliffs and other hard-to-reach areas, providing new traversal and aerial attack options.
New and Returning Monsters – The game will introduce Magnamalo, a menacing new flagship monster, as well as other new monsters like the shape-shifting Aknosom, the amphibious Tetranadon, and more. Hunters can also expect to encounter numerous fan-favorite and returning species from previous Monster Hunter games.
Canyne Companions – New hunting partners called Palamutes can be personalized and used to ride across the terrain, providing players with all-new traveling and attack options. On solo hunts, players can select both a Palamute and Palico to assist them, while multiplayer hunters can bring one or the other into the field.
The Rampage – In addition to the plethora of solo and multiplayer quests, the immersive story mode will task aspiring hunters with discovering the secrets behind the puzzling “Rampage” events that threaten Kamura Village.
Hunting Options – Play solo, or join up to three other hunters in local or online co-op play. The Nintendo Switch system also allows for hunting anywhere, anytime and with anyone!
Seamless Gameplay – Featuring maps with no loading times, the continuous gameplay ensures that players will remain on their quests as soon as the hunt begins, without transitions between areas.

🔷 WHAT'S NEW

IGN provides a quick guide for what to expect in MH Rise:

🔷 EDITIONS

product_img02_esrb.png
Deluxe Kit Content
- Hunter layered armor "Kamurai" set
- Palamute layered armor piece "Shuriken Collar"
- Palico layered armor piece "Fish Collar"
- Gestures (4 Jumps)
- Samurai pose set
- Kabuki face paint
- "Izuchi Tail" hairstyle

product_img07-top.png

Collector's Edition contents
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Deluxe Kit extra contents
- Magnamalo amiibo
- Monster icon sticker pack
- Kamura Mark – Enamel Pin
product_img06.png
Magnamalo amiibo
Palamute amiibo
Palico amiibo
MH RISE Special Edition Switch
MH Rise Edition Switch Pro Controller

* Layered armor only changes the appearance of your Buddies.
* Purchase any qualifying version of Monster Hunter Rise at participating retailers before March 26, 2021 to receive the preorder bonus pack
* Images shown are for illustration purposes only.
* Content and features are subject to change without prior notice.
* Standalone amiibo available exclusively at GameStop locations in the United States and EB Games in Canada while supplies last.

🔷 REVIEWS

xyzHI04.png

🔷 MONSTERS

A total of 55 monsters are in the game so far; 25 Small monsters and 30 Large monsters.
11 new monsters were added in Rise; 2 Small monsters and 9 Large monsters.
  • 1 new Amphibian: Tetranadon.
  • 3 new Bird Wyverns: Aknosom, Izuchi, and Great Izuchi.
  • 3 new Fanged Beasts: Bishaten, Bombadgy, and Goss Harag.
  • 1 new Fanged Wyvern: Magnamalo.
  • 2 new Leviathans: Almudron and Somnacanth.
  • 2 new Temnoceran: Rachnoid & Rakna-Kadaki.

magnamalo.png

Magnamalo is the flagship monster of this game. Its face exudes a fearsome malice, and its hide is as tough as armor, as if it were the physical manifestation of the grudges of fallen warriors. The purple gas that rises from its body when it eats other monsters is called "Hellfire," and it makes Magnamalo's already ferocious attacks even more destructive.

🔷 WEAPONS, ARMOR, SKILLS

armor_img01.jpg

Enter a new hunting dimension with the 14 weapon types! Thanks to the Wirebug's powers, your actions are bigger, more powerful, and more spectacular than ever before! Pick the armor and Talismans that best suit your playstyle, and get ready for a new hunt!
Your armor consists of five pieces, and each piece has its own defense and elemental resistance stats, as well one or more skills that will help you on your hunt. Skills can also be added by equipping Talismans, which can be earned by progressing in the game. Make sure you pick the right skills to suit your playstyle and objectives!
Skills are a variety of abilities that affect hunters in a number of ways. Each Talisman or piece of armor has its own skills, which are activated just by equipping the corresponding gear. If you equip more than one piece of gear with the same skill, this will augment the effect. (Note that each skill has its own level cap.) If you equip three or more pieces of the same armor set, you will receive a bonus to all of your resistance stats.

🔷 BUDDIES

Can you pet them? Of course you can!

GZKdbTc.gif

Palamutes are a new type of Buddy that will join you on your hunts. They will synchronize their attacks with you, and they will even let you ride on their backs!
As long as you're riding a Palamute, you will not consume any stamina, so you can run across the fields to your heart's content. You can even use some items and recover health while on the move!

DhhTBjR.gif

Of course the Palicoes also make their triumphant return. As always, they will provide you with various kinds of support.

character_creator.jpg

You can create not just your own player character, but your own Palico and Palamute as well. You can customize your Palamute's coat, eyes, ears, tail, and voice, and Palicoes let you pick your favorite support type on top of that too!

tkw88outqlm61.jpg

🔷 HUNTING GUIDE

EgpcCTt.png

🔷 SCREENSHOTS

sc8ky2.png
sc8ky3.png
sc8ky4.png
sc8ky5.png
sc8ky6.png
sc8ky7.png

🔷 TRAILERS

D9oNd66.png

🔷 WEBSITE

🔷 WIKI

🔷 SOCIAL MEDIA

🐦 Twitter | 📺 YouTube | 📘 Facebook | 📸 Instagram

zILXjuJ.png

🔷 GAF FC EXCHANGE

JONEZZEEonGAF JONEZZEEonGAF : SW-8379-6154-5503
F31 Leopard F31 Leopard SW-5369-4481-5897

🔷 OTHER MH THREADS

guide03_5.gif

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Cancelled my Amazon pre-order since I did not get shipping confirmation. That means there was no way it was arriving Friday. I'm out of town all day Saturday so that would leave Sunday as the first real day to play and I can't accept that.

I'm tempted to try getting the $10 in-store discount through Walmart. Does anyone know if the pre-order bonus is likely to be included with the psychical version via insert? Not sure if it's worth risking not getting the pre-order bonuses to save a few bucks.

Edit: saved myself the hassle of leaving the house and just pre-ordered on the eShop.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Good, i preordered. Don't know why i even waited. I played World for a few hundret hours. Just onnneeee more hunt....

Sure the resolution could be higher, shadows could be more dynamic and more detailed, and so could the vegetation density and it is not 60 FPS... but...

I like MHR aesthetics more than I do MHW, I find this Switch edition more pleasant visually... MHW I dunno feels a bit too clean and shiny, they both look great but I think I prefer MHR color palette and shaders more (the DF video by D dark10x got me to trigger the preorder :)).

Last edited:
Cancelled my Amazon pre-order since I did not get shipping confirmation. That means there was no way it was arriving Friday. I'm out of town all day Saturday so that would leave Sunday as the first real day to play and I can't accept that.

I'm tempted to try getting the $10 in-store discount through Walmart. Does anyone know if the pre-order bonus is likely to be included with the psychical version via insert? Not sure if it's worth risking not getting the pre-order bonuses to save a few bucks.

Edit: saved myself the hassle of leaving the house and just pre-ordered on the eShop.
It's only fitting that the man behind such a great OT would eventually find his way back to the light.

(But really, sorry to hear about the Amazon woes, these situations always suck.)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Mine was sent this morning and it says that it should arrive tomorrow, and even got an email some days ago telling me I'll have it on launch day so... Fingers crossed.

Any word on how's the late game? Is it very Rampage centric or does it also have the usual hunts? I'm also wondering if exploiting Wivern Riding is really mandatory for the later fights.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I read somewhere that Rampage is a large part of endgame and that Apex monsters are gated behind it but as I said I hope they're just bullshitting.
If true that's some bullshit, i don't give a damn about the rampage mode, i never gonna play that thing.
As far as I know that might be the case.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Any word on how's the late game? Is it very Rampage centric or does it also have the usual hunts? I'm also wondering if exploiting Wivern Riding is really mandatory for the later fights.
Apparently there are no elder dragons other than the story bosses so I imagine it's all about rampage. Still, the first update in April should bring back a few from what we know. I also can't imagine not getting the apex monster outside of rampage at some point.

TintoConCasera

Apparently there are no elder dragons other than the story bosses so I imagine it's all about rampage. Still, the first update in April should bring back a few from what we know. I also can't imagine not getting the apex monster outside of rampage at some point.
Yeah I guess we'll at least have some event quests with Apex on normal maps.

TheGejsza

I would love to get it right now but as there is no info about cross save with PC I'll wait. I just don't have time to double dip like I did with Word.

Termite

Have this preloaded and looking forward to midnight tonight, even if I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as World, based off the demo (don't like the wirebug or the less intricate levels). On the other hand, I doubt I'll bounce of it entirely like Tri or Generations, where the segmented sections killed my interest in the game.

Biggest decision will be whether to try to learn another weapon. I was 100% Insect Glaive in World and none of the other weapons have that instant "click" with me that IG had. But now that everyone's mobile, it feels like I should branch out, and that a new weapon will make this game feel like a new experience.

Also, played through World and Iceborne without ever playing multiplayer once. I rarely carted, but still didn't feel confident enough to go online and potentially screw someone's hunt up. Since I'll be in on Rise on launch day and there's bound to be a bunch of shitty beginners I reckon I might give it a go this time.

Great OP! A better subtitle than the cringe I would've come up with, like something about nintendogs + cats, or you're the hunter now dog :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I was 100% Insect Glaive in World and none of the other weapons have that instant "click" with me that IG had. But now that everyone's mobile, it feels like I should branch out, and that a new weapon will make this game feel like a new experience.

Also, played through World and Iceborne without ever playing multiplayer once. I rarely carted, but still didn't feel confident enough to go online and potentially screw someone's hunt up. Since I'll be in on Rise on launch day and there's bound to be a bunch of shitty beginners I reckon I might give it a go this time.

Exactly my thinking about the IG. It still does have an edge in mobility so maybe give it a shot before giving up on it entirely.

I didn't play World but speaking from experience with Tri, people in multiplayer are generally very nice and rooms are organized by whether people are looking for serious players or just to hang around and have fun - they indicate it and it says it right on the room. I've never seen anyone get yelled at for carting. People will get annoyed at you for tripping them so it's best to be mindful of your moveset and how it affects others.

But I wouldn't be anxious about playing online if I were you. Experienced players are most likely than noobs to be kind to you because they've internalized the monhun etiquette and ethos of cooperation.

R6Rider

Gold Member
How does everyone play these games?

Do you go for all armors and/or weapons in Low Rank before moving on to High Rank stuff? Go for all the armors in general? I generally don't go for extra Low Rank gear unless I really like the looks of it. Once into the High Rank levels I start to go for all armor, but only all weapons for my main and a few secondary weapon types (these being Hammer as my main, with SnS and Lance as secondaries in World).

I'm hoping for some great Palico and Palimute gear too.

GymWolf

How does everyone play these games?

Do you go for all armors and/or weapons in Low Rank before moving on to High Rank stuff? Go for all the armors in general? I generally don't go for extra Low Rank gear unless I really like the looks of it. Once into the High Rank levels I start to go for all armor, but only all weapons for my main and a few secondary weapon types (these being Hammer as my main, with SnS and Lance as secondaries in World).

I'm hoping for some great Palico and Palimute gear too.
Why going for all the armours?! I only pick what i need in term of abilities for my builds.

What is the pro of grinding for ALL the armours?!

Also fuck the look in my case, i only care about abilities, looking fabolous doesn't help when a giant monster want to use you as an inflatable sexdoll...

R6Rider

Gold Member
Why going for all the armours?! I only pick what i need in term of abilities for my builds.

What is the pro of grinding for ALL the armours?!

Also fuck the look in my case, i only care about abilities, looking fabolous doesn't help when a giant monster want to use you as an inflatable sexdoll...
Fashion Hunter is basically my favorite way to play these games. I also play the Soulsborne games that way, but armor is often not as effective there.

Top Bottom