• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Tg89

What items do you series vets like to bring on your hunts?

World was my first MH and tbh I didn’t really bring anything other than potions and meat, I don’t think I ever even captured anything my entire time playing the game. I’ve seen the light here and expanded my regular arsenal to include bringing traps + tranq bombs, large explosive barrels and might seeds. What other useful stuff should I add to my default loadouts?

R6Rider

Gold Member
What items do you series vets like to bring on your hunts?

World was my first MH and tbh I didn’t really bring anything other than potions and meat, I don’t think I ever even captured anything my entire time playing the game. I’ve seen the light here and expanded my regular arsenal to include bringing traps + tranq bombs, large explosive barrels and might seeds. What other useful stuff should I add to my default loadouts?
I usually keep the following saved as my main loadout:
  • Potions
  • Mega Potions
  • Pitfall Trap
  • Shock Trap
  • Tranquilizers
  • Large Barrel Bombs
  • Powertalon/Powercharm
  • Armortalon/Powercharm
  • Rations/Meat
  • Nulberries
  • Antidotes
I generally don't bring Demondrugs or the other buffs unless I really struggle with a fight (which I haven't yet in Rise). I also utilize the radial menu and have one set up for traps, bombs, and poisons, one for the regular use items such as potions, nulberries, and antidotes, and then anther for buffs and misc. The last radial menu I use for emotes and stickers.

Last edited:
Question for the lads.

Between World and Rise which is the more beginner friendly game. I got World back in the day on sale but never really played past the intro. I'm not worried about the money saving part.

Eevee86

Question for the lads.

Between World and Rise which is the more beginner friendly game. I got World back in the day on sale but never really played past the intro. I'm not worried about the money saving part.
Rise is probably easier to get into. I found it more difficult than World once you get to the high rank hub quests, but you should know what you're doing by then.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Question for the lads.

Both World and Rise are pretty good for beginners but Rise has great training room to test out each weapons and the Village quests pretty easy to get you started.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Question for the lads.

I would say Rise is. It has more streamlined fights, and a more compact village. In general Rise has easier quests for the main story parts and is easier to get into online play.

Rise is probably easier to get into. I found it more difficult than World once you get to the high rank hub quests, but you should know what you're doing by then.
Both World and Rise are pretty good for beginners but Rise has great training room to test out each weapons and the Village quests pretty easy to get you started.
I would say Rise is. It has more streamlined fights, and a more compact village. In general Rise has easier quests for the main story parts and is easier to get into online play.
Thanks guys! I think I’ll grab it as soon as I’m done with P5S

I haven’t really been in the series since Tri but this has managed to pull me back in. The insect glaive has crazy manoeuvrability so I’m going with that for the time being. The Japanese aesthetic is also really doing it for me as opposed to whatever World had going on. I can see myself playing this game for some time!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Just fought Shampoo Falkor in MH Rise. Never fought it in Generations because I played it for like 5 hours. It was... Mid, meanwhile I LOVE Goss Harag.

Pejo

9aecg5j6h5s61.png

Handy guide for the Meowcenaries special equipment. Click to embiggen.

nerdface

Banned
Ok, I’m sold on palicos. Even on flat land you can wirebug to stay close behind, but you also can traverse easily. After learning all the warp points, and watching where the monster is running, I beat palimute players sometimes.

I don’t understand the felvine ability, but this makes it all worth it:
SYA8MXt.jpg

Brazen

I agree 2x palicos is more preferable once you unlock all the camps. The only thing I miss about not having a palamute is the ability to eat/sharpen on the move.

Earplugs and Negate Stun are imo the best defensive skills as they negate the more common occurring restraints. Sleep/Paralysis are more situational with the monsters capable of using them, and even more so at the rate a monster will use them on your kitties, and a lot of times your pets will get knocked out of them soon after in any case.

I prefer Status Attack Up and Knockout King for offense and in general myself though.

Felvine "berserks" your pets in a nutshell. They use their abilities more, deal more damage, evade more, etc.

nerdface

Banned
Yeah, but they mostly roar at the beginning of the fight, so it’s easy to block.

I don’t sharpen as much with the kitty, but I’m not really deflecting either. If it gets low, I stop and sharpen.

Most players are too busy trying to mount and sharpen and follow roads. I’m Spider-Man on the chase...banging tail before they even show their face!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t sharpen as much with the kitty, but I’m not really deflecting either. If it gets low, I stop and sharpen.
I put 3 Grinder Jewel in my gear which makes me only do one cycle for sharpening.

Edit: also Sheath Jewel is must have if you are using LS, it makes me do special sheath much faster.

Last edited:

Eevee86

Wish they'd unlock the HR. I kind of put the game down until they do then I'm going to figure out what I want to do with my gear and get all the monster scrolls.

nerdface

Banned
I put 3 Grinder Jewel in my gear which makes me only do one cycle for sharpening.

Edit: also Sheath Jewel is must have if you are using LS, it makes me do special sheath much faster.

I’m using CB. When I’m on top of my game, I don’t sheath much. I try to time my counter morph to their attacks.

When my timing fails, cause I have a lot of learning to do, I can just wirebug out of it and I’m instantly sheathed for item use or just running. Wirebug is the knees of bees.

Looking forward to learning LS at some point...it seems to have special sheathing capabilities too.

Brazen

Yeah, but they mostly roar at the beginning of the fight, so it’s easy to block.

I was referring to the screenshot on your pet's defensive skills, sorry. Roars usually happen at start of a fight, but also sometimes when you reengage in other areas, and anytime they enrage. This adds up to about 4-5 roars per fight on the low side of things, more as a fight goes on longer. Palicoes/Palamutes aren't good at blocking roars so was just saying I find earplugs to be more useful as a defense skill over others for them.

nerdface

Banned
I was referring to the screenshot on your pet's defensive skills, sorry. Roars usually happen at start of a fight, but also sometimes when you reengage in other areas, and anytime they enrage. This adds up to about 4-5 roars per fight on the low side of things, more as a fight goes on longer. Palicoes/Palamutes aren't good at blocking roars so was just saying I find earplugs to be more useful as a defense skill over others for them.

yeah, the earplugs for me are palamutes, that’s why it isn’t in the screenshot

are there different kinds of each?...like my kitty is healing type

Brazen

Yeah, just like the level 5, 10, & 15 moves that are random, all the offensive/defensive skills your palico/palamute can get are also random.

Exede

Wish they'd unlock the HR. I kind of put the game down until they do then I'm going to figure out what I want to do with my gear and get all the monster scrolls.
Why is the HR such a big deal for you? You don't get any benefits with a higher rank do you?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My amulet luck is terrible... I hope amulet tables are not back urgh.... getting a bad table is a shit deal.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
So it seems palamutes don’t get different support types. At least looking at the scouting screen on buddy island, there’s many support types for palicos.

I’m not really sure what that means in terms of what abilities are available to the palamute.

Eevee86

So it seems palamutes don’t get different support types. At least looking at the scouting screen on buddy island, there’s many support types for palicos.

I’m not really sure what that means in terms of what abilities are available to the palamute.
Palamutes get several pieces of gear you can switch out at the buddy board to customize them. They don't play a support role in the same way Palicoes do though.

Last edited:

Pejo

I LOVE everything about MHRise except I wish Apex Monsters and Ibuki wasn't Rampage exclusive, I wish I could fight them in proper hunt.
Yea Rampage is real shit. I detest every time I have to go into it. Maybe it's fun with 4 players but with 1-2 it just sucks Arzuros ass. It should have been entirely optional.

I'm sure eventual content drips will give us the ability to do regular hunts for Apex and your spoiler.

trickybiff

Yea Rampage is real shit. I detest every time I have to go into it. Maybe it's fun with 4 players but with 1-2 it just sucks Arzuros ass. It should have been entirely optional.

I'm sure eventual content drips will give us the ability to do regular hunts for Apex and your spoiler.
I sure hope so. Rampage is a serious lifedrain

F31 Leopard

So what do you guys think which monsters will be returning to the roster? I'm placing my bets on Agnaktor and Zamtrios because there's Uroktors and Zamites. My third guess would be Duramboros because of the Flooded Forest map.

Eevee86

So what do you guys think which monsters will be returning to the roster? I'm placing my bets on Agnaktor and Zamtrios because there's Uroktors and Zamites. My third guess would be Duramboros because of the Flooded Forest map.
Wouldn't be surprised if Kirin and Bazelgeuse show up to wreck my teammates.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd be happy with all three of these. I know people want Lagiacrus, I'd like to see Gammoth or Kecha Wacha.

Skifi28

I wouldn't expect any of those before the G-rank expansion. Updates are usually reserved for elder dragons or something at similar power levels. You won't really see a low or mid-tier addition at this point.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'd be happy with all three of these. I know people want Lagiacrus, I'd like to see Gammoth or Kecha Wacha.
Gammoth had such cool armor and looked menacing but he was such a boring fight. Plus wasn't he a unique skeleton? It'd be a tough sell for that, I feel like.

I want to see Lagi and Najarala come back, but more than that I'd like to see more new monsters. The movesets of all of the Rise exclusive monsters is so much better and more varied than the hipcheck/body hitboxes of old MH. Rathalos, Zinogre, and Mizutsune are also great examples of old monsters with upgraded kits.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finally got a Wyvern Gem after breaking basically the entirety of a Somnacanth and then capturing it.

On a side note, I hate the talisman melding.

Last edited:

Pejo

Finally got a Wyvern Gem after breaking most basically the entirety of a Somnacanth and then capturing it.

On a side note, I hate the talisman melding.
Yea I don't get the whole system. Why even bother letting us pick a skill we want to aim for when 9 out 10 times it turns into some random other bullshit? I feel like it should guarantee at least the skill you aimed for + a chance of a random skill.

Pejo

Anybody up for doing these egg delivery subquests in HR? I feel like they're easier with 2 people. Also, can we just admit how stupid it is that you can't either put the eggs on your dog's back or ride the dog while carrying the eggs? I get why they do it (because the devs hate us and keep putting delivery quests in the games), but I mean come on. Our dogs can attack 50 foot beasts, climb straight up vertical vines, for hundreds of feet, use (or presumably read) scrolls, wear armor, but they can't carry a fucking egg while I defend them.

Top Bottom