• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Hype countdown

Whats gonna be your main weapon

• Total voters

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
to perform that move(Called the Zero-Sum Discharge, ZSD), a swaxe user simply has to use their sword mode a lot until the meter around their swaxe gauge fills up and starts to glow light blue, and then while in sword mode, they press Y+B/Triangle+Circle and land the hit. You can be knocked out of it because it doesn't have superarmor but it does loads of damage.

In iceborne, while the sword mode is charged in the same state, you can perform this attack directly from the clutch claw grapple animation.

This is me doing it two and a half years ago, in base MHW. I think I had like 5 mixed drinks in me, so the gameplay is kinda scrubby.

That’s awesome. How long did it take you to get the gear? Did you have to farm a lot of the same type or something? I had this one match where these Japanese players were summoned and they all had elemental weapons. They completely destroyed the boss.

Nehezir

Banned
That’s awesome. How long did it take you to get the gear? Did you have to farm a lot of the same type or something? I had this one match where these Japanese players were summoned and they all had elemental weapons. They completely destroyed the boss.
not really? I used a lot of the same stuff back then, and it wasn't all offense oriented either. pretty sure a lot of the time I ran with a bit of handicraft from death stench legs, wex from the dragonking eyepatch and the teostra hands, and had some crit or attack boost in the chest/waist(Probably Dober).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
xv8UkwH.png

So no one cares about Heavy Bowgun here?

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
I haven't really thought about HBG for Rise. Gunning requires a lot of knowledge about the individual entry in question most of all. so it's better saved til at least high rank.

So you didn’t use LS at all.....
giphy.gif

Say no to weeb weapons. Insect Glaive is French, before you mention that.

If you look at the Iceborne OT I actually posted my older weapon usage that was purely HBG. I didn't ruin my weapon virginity unti I promised myself to do 100+ uses for alternating weapons. And at this point I don't think I can sneak in 100+ uses of the other weapons before I move on to Rise. Anyway, I just roll back my save whenever I use the other weapons so I don't ruin the alternate weapon usage. Besides if I don't use the other weapons that means passing up the aesthetic as fuck Jyura CB and Armor.

HmmoomB.jpg

Also the weapon usage I posted is only for PC. My PS4 looks alot different, heavily in favor of CB actually. The only weapon that's never really clicked for me is Bow.

GymWolf

Well in the end i choose the swaxe for the new run, any advise for the defensive movements?!

I know they introduced something for iceborne...

I'm still intrigued by the HBG, maybe i'm gonna try it against bad match ups for the swaxe.

Last edited:

Same ol G

Well in the end i choose the swaxe for the new run, any advise for the defensive movements?!

I'm still intrigued by the HBG, maybe i'm gonna try it against bad match ups for the swaxe.
Get good at dodging, Switch axe doesn't have block in the moveset but the damage output is great.
Switching between sword and axe mode mid combo makes it possible to chain your attack until the weapon degrades or you get knocked down.
In mhgu i forgot wich armor i used but everytime i dodged the blade would be sharpened making it possible to keep dodging and attacking.

GymWolf

Get good at dodging, Switch axe doesn't have block in the moveset but the damage output is great.
Switching between sword and axe mode mid combo makes it possible to chain your attack until the weapon degrades or you get knocked down.
In mhgu i forgot wich armor i used but everytime i dodged the blade would be sharpened making it possible to keep dodging and attacking.
Not sure if that ability exist in world...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sword and Shield, like I always do... but I’m interested in learning new weapons in this game
Charge blade might be your thing. It's basically a more complex sword and shield with a little bit of unga boonga thrown in there.

Charge blade might be your thing. It's basically a more complex sword and shield with a little bit of unga boonga thrown in there.
For me, the one negative thing that sets CB apart is how long it takes to sheathe the weapon.

I literally played only CB for years and when I finally decided to mess around with the more vanilla melee weapons in MHW and MHR's demo I was surprised to see how quickly I could sheathe, or in the case of SNS, use items without sheathing.

Part of CB's learning curve is knowing when to move around without sheathing because that long animation is asking for trouble at times.

Of course, there is the trick where you sheathe while moving off a ledge so that the animation gets cancelled, but that only works if you have ledges to begin with.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me, the one negative thing that sets CB apart is how long it takes to sheathe the weapon.

I literally played only CB for years and when I finally decided to mess around with the more vanilla melee weapons in MHW and MHR's demo I was surprised to see how quickly I could sheathe, or in the case of SNS, use items without sheathing.

Part of CB's learning curve is knowing when to move around without sheathing because that long animation is asking for trouble at times.

Of course, there is the trick where you sheathe while moving off a ledge so that the animation gets cancelled, but that only works if you have ledges to begin with.
Yep, sometimes it feels like it takes ages to sheathe, specially when you most need it.

Thabkfully this seems kind of alleviated in Rise thanks to being able to do it after getting hit with the silkbug, so it's not that bad.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm thinking Hammer will be my second main weapon after LS. It might not have any defensive moves or counters but hitting Monster's head with it is really satisfying.

GymWolf

You know you’ll get your money’s worth out of it. Plus you’ll be able to play online along with everyone else.
MAKE WAY FOR MAXIMUM HYPE!!
Yeah i know, it's just that i didn't liked the demo very much compared to world.

Also i hate paying to play online.

And last but not least, i have a pretty bad controller for switch, i bought the hori one but it's trash and i really need a good controller to play mh.
Buying this game automatically means buying a fucking pro controller for 70 euros...

I don't know, i re-started a new campaing in world with a different weapon, maybe it's gonna keep me me occupied enough to survive the day one hype.

I just have to wait a year for the pc version...

Animagic

Banned
Yeah i know, it's just that i didn't liked the demo very much compared to world.

Also i hate paying to play online.

And last but not least, i have a pretty bad controller for switch, i bought the hori one but it's trash and i really need a good controller to play mh.
Buying this game automatically means buying a fucking pro controller for 70 euros...

I don't know, i re-started a new campaing in world with a different weapon, maybe it's gonna keep me me occupied enough to survive the day one hype.

I just have to wait a year for the pc version...
Ah yeah I see what you mean. Well, I don’t blame you then.
Yeah if I had a righteous pc I would just wait also

TintoConCasera

130 hours
Guess I'm not the only one afraid of losing control of it's life once the game arrives. :')

No hype. Game is sadly to slow and clunky.
Sometimes not the game, but the player bro. I thougj the same about those games before learning how to play and now I really like them, so I advise you to give it a chance.

Guess I'm not the only one afraid of losing control of it's life once the game arrives. :')

Sometimes not the game, but the player bro. I thougj the same about those games before learning how to play and now I really like them, so I advise you to give it a chance.
Did it once already.
Not sure a second chance will change it.

I like the fast games. PoE or Diablo, where I attack 5 to 20 times a sec9nd5

trickybiff

Monster Hunter World was my introduction to the franchise, and I was obsessed for a few months. But I am on the fence about getting this one. I guess I should play the demo before I make a call, but as of now I am very unsure.

Nehezir

Banned

I don't know how to do it, but there is a move on it somewhere that kinda "backs off"

GymWolf

I don't know how to do it, but there is a move on it somewhere that kinda "backs off"
yep, i was talking about that one, i watched a tutorial and you do that moving the stick down + B while attacking with the axe.

I don't know what they didn't made an evade move for the sword part too, the axe was already far better in the evading department.

I trashed in mere seconds the noob monsters at the begin of the campaign (jagras, barroth etc.) but i have the fear that this weapon is not gonna cut at all against hyper-aggressive monster or monsters with a lot of aoe attacks...tonight i have anjanath...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do you guys know the best poke combos for the swaxe? like the one you use when the cunt doens't stop but you have to do damage in some way...

Yo Danjin44 Danjin44 , have you never played swaxe? gimme some good advices.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Monster Hunter World was my introduction to the franchise, and I was obsessed for a few months. But I am on the fence about getting this one. I guess I should play the demo before I make a call, but as of now I am very unsure.
I'm in for the Japanese twin hostesses mostly. And more cat cooking cutscenes. And a ridable doge.

GymWolf

Sorry I cant help you there, I mostly used Long Sword, Lance and Hammer, never used Switchaxe.

At least I can recommned watch videos like these.

well at least you are a lance bro 🕺

nice try posting rise guides instead of iceborne guides:lollipop_squinting:

just fucking with you, thanks dude

Nehezir

Banned
yep, i was talking about that one, i watched a tutorial and you do that moving the stick down + B while attacking with the axe.

I don't know what they didn't made an evade move for the sword part too, the axe was already far better in the evading department.

I trashed in mere seconds the noob monsters at the begin of the campaign (jagras, barroth etc.) but i have the fear that this weapon is not gonna cut at all against hyper-aggressive monster or monsters with a lot of aoe attacks...tonight i have anjanath...
yeah. I guess swaxe players basically use the transform back into axe mode and disengage asap after?
I do run into occasional Bomb Ass Swaxe Bros so keep it up and learn it well.

Last edited:
Yep, sometimes it feels like it takes ages to sheathe, specially when you most need it.

Thabkfully this seems kind of alleviated in Rise thanks to being able to do it after getting hit with the silkbug, so it's not that bad.
It was almost fully alleviated in MHGU if you were savvy with the Absolute Evasion skill :D

Your example requires getting hit to begin with haha! But yea it can be a good tradeoff at times.

Then there are the moves which knock you down and disable your wire fall and the getting up animation looks like you're still wielding your weapon but you get up with it sheathed. Hope that isn't in the final game but we'll see (it's one of my minor gripes with the demo).

GymWolf

yeah. I guess swaxe players basically use the transform back into axe mode and disengage asap after?
I do run into occasional Bomb Ass Swaxe Bros so keep it up and learn it well.
Anjanath was pretty easy, it's literally a new style for me because with the lance you don't really run away that much.

The power axe mode is great tho, the monsters get tired every minute or so.

Top Bottom