• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 (tri) initial shipment exceeds 1 Million units

Vinci

Danish
AceBandage said:
You mean sells to the people that buy WiiFit?

He's saying he hopes it will sell enough to warrant being dismissed by naysayers as a 'casual game.' C'mon, man. You know that.

Blast Processing said:
I can't help but think it'll get the typical apathetic response here in the U.S.

If they market it properly, it can do well.
Again though, they need to bring over the bundle.

Vinci said:

He's saying he hopes it will sell enough to warrant being dismissed by naysayers as a 'casual game.' C'mon, man. You know that.

Oh...
Ooohhhhh.
Right, gotcha.

lo zaffo

I knew that in the land of the rising sun shipment is made extimating consumers orders, so it might be proportional to extimated demand.

If MH tri sells a million in a month I will be very impressed.

And if MH can be a huge home console success as a side effect it can also help my long favourite action franchise: the Legend of Zelda (Aonuma go!).

Anyone else gonna import a Classic Controller Pro? While I'll wait for the English MH3 to jump on the excitement (can't read Japanese! ;( ) I think I'll grab the new controller as I see you can get them separately to MH3, looks pretty solid for the more 'gamy' games that can use classic.

Personally I can't stand using the sticks on the old classic, perfect for NES/SNES etc etc but have always preferred a GameCube one for the N64 games because I didn't like the feel of the old classic's sticks. I wonder if the new one is any improvement.

john tv

cvxfreak said:
To put it into perspective, should the whole shipment sell, it'll be the first third party million seller on a Nintendo console since the Super Famicom era
You mean in Japan, presumably? Cause there've been plenty of third party million sellers on Nintendo consoles overseas.

We're playing it right now. Cute pig-in-diaper sidekicks FTW.

Vinci

Danish
Conrad Link said:
Anyone else gonna import a Classic Controller Pro? While I'll wait for the English MH3 to jump on the excitement (can't read Japanese! ;( ) I think I'll grab the new controller as I see you can get them separately to MH3, looks pretty solid for the more 'gamy' games that can use classic.

Personally I can't stand using the sticks on the old classic, perfect for NES/SNES etc etc but have always preferred a GameCube one for the N64 games because I didn't like the feel of the old classic's sticks. I wonder if the new one is any improvement.

Unless there's a vast difference, I'll stick with my Classic. I actually really like it.

Conrad Link said:

I've been considering it. I also am taking Japanese 101 this semester so I'm thinking of importing a couple 'lighter text' Japanese games.

cvxfreak

john tv said:
You mean in Japan, presumably? Cause there've been plenty of third party million sellers on Nintendo consoles overseas.

We're playing it right now. Cute pig-in-diaper sidekicks FTW.

Of course I meant Japan. I don't regurgitate RE4 Wii's awesome 1.6M sales only to make this kind of amateur mistake. Plus it said Super Famicom. :)

You still going to head out on Saturday for the launch festivities? I'm tempted to pick up the Black Wii. It's definitely nice.

Tenbatsu said:
Since its cvxfreak's thread I am going to post unrelated stuff:D
8z03r6.jpg
wii discs printed in full colour? how they come up with this amazing technology

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I love the "shock" this is causing in other parts of the net and among my friends. This probably the first 3rd party Wii game that isn't

1) a port of an existing game
2) an unheard of IP
3) isn't a spin off ( ie it's MH3, not MH Legends or MH swords)

And people are surprised that there could be great sales? The reason 3rd parties have failed isn't because of the Wii (though that's what they blame) but because it's one of the above. And even then, games in the above 3 have sold, but they act like they don't.

When will it end?

CTLance

Yeah no, I'm thinking it will remain in touch with the previous home console versions, so... 400k, to a maximum of 600k if the stars align correctly. It's not on a handheld, this is Japan we're talking about - and there's that pesky "will it be on PSP too" issue.

OTOH, Capcom/Nintendo seem to be giving it everything they have: huge marketing campaign, black Wii bundle, special editions, etc. Maybe that will help.

This will be very interesting.

[Nintex]

Capcom and Nintendo seem to want to proof something. If they pull this off it'll sure boost interest in the Wii in Japan for other more core oriented titles like The Crystal Bearers and Tales of Graces. It's also good to see that Nintendo sees the importance of third party releases like this.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CTLance said:
Yeah no, I'm thinking it will remain in touch with the previous home console versions, so... 400k, to a maximum of 600k if the stars align correctly. It's not on a handheld, this is Japan we're talking about - and there's that pesky "will it be on PSP too" issue.

I'm becoming a broken record here, but when the publisher and retailers both think its going to sell a million copies, the odds are pretty decent it eventually will. I understand the whole PSP argument, but Capcom and retailers are treating this like a game that is going to sell over a million copies, and I think at some point you have to look past the history of the franchise and look at what it has become right now. A 400-600K LTD would be 40-60% sold of its initial shipment- that would be a huge huge bomba, and I really doubt Capcom would ship that many units and retailers would order that many units if they thought that was a real possibility.

markatisu

MHG Wii, a freaking 4+ year old port of a PS2 game sold more than 250k and you think this game will only do 600k?

schuelma said:
I'm becoming a broken record here, but when the publisher and retailers both think its going to sell a million copies, the odds are pretty decent it eventually will. I understand the whole PSP argument, but Capcom and retailers are treating this like a game that is going to sell over a million copies, and I think at some point you have to look past the history of the franchise and look at what it has become right now. A 400-600K LTD would be 40-60% sold of its initial shipment- that would be a huge huge bomba, and I really doubt Capcom would ship that many units and retailers would order that many units if they thought that was a real possibility.

Especially after undershipping the CC bundle of MHG (that one had close to a 100% sell out)

The ad campaign we all know is funded by Nintendo and Capcom, Iwata said he wanted to make two games big worldwide and that was Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. The Black Wii, multiple bundles, and advertising in everything mirrors that of DQIX.

Not to mention all the events Capcom has been having and the excessive queues at game shows to get hands-on with it.

If this were a spin off or just an update I think the argument could be made that people would wait, but its an honest to god sequel with completely new monsters, weapons, locations, and split screen co-op (4 person online).

CTLance

Waitaminute. We're talking lifetime sales here? I thought we were guessing at first week sales. I'm thinking that over the course of the following months or maybe even only weeks H3 will breach the magic nongame barrier. I only believe it will start out less forcefully than its mobile counterparts due to Japans heavy mobile platform bias (and Capcoms port-it-to-everything-under-the-sun mentality).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CTLance said:
Waitaminute. We're talking lifetime sales here? I thought we were guessing at first week sales. I'm thinking that over the course of the following months or maybe even only weeks H3 will breach the magic nongame barrier. I only believe it will start out less forcefully than its mobile counterparts due to Japans heavy mobile platform bias (and Capcoms port-it-to-everything-under-the-sun mentality).

I thought you were talking LTD. For 1st week, I think 400K is a bit low but I could see anywhere from 500-650K.

thefro

Since this is a brand new entry in a franchise that should still be on the upswing I feel it won't have any problem selling the first shipment over the first couple months.

There's enough addicts in the userbase that I don't think the console switch will be a huge barrier, particularly with a certain percentage of the users already owning the console and DQ X looming in the distance (justifying a purchase for core gamers on the fence).

Top Bottom