• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 (tri) initial shipment exceeds 1 Million units

cvxfreak

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e090730d.html

Capcom is pleased to announce that the initial Japanese shipment of Monster Hunter Tri has surpassed 1 million units.

“Monster Hunter Tri” is the latest entry in the series, and adds fresh new features to the already rich and unique Monster Hunter experience. Beyond the greatly enhanced graphics, the entire world of “Monster Hunter” has also been expanded. For the first time in the series, the hunting of underwater aquatic beasts has been made possible. Also, “Monster Hunter Tri” has been tailored to home consoles by making use of the Nintendo Wii online functionality for multiplayer, implementing a split-screen co-op mode and introducing a new Arena fighting mode. This new entry in the series will bring the strength of the “Monster Hunter” brand to the Wii, and make use of the unique features of the Wii console.

This is the first third party Wii game to have an initial shipment of over 1 million units in Japan. As a series, “Monster Hunter” has now surpassed 10 million units shipped.

Going to be absolutely huge and it all starts in about a day and a half. :)

To put it into perspective, should the whole shipment sell, it'll be the first third party million seller on a Nintendo console since the Super Famicom era, Capcom's first console million seller since Onimusha 2 in 2002 (unless you count the combined three console versions of Biohazard 4), and Capcom's best selling console game on a Nintendo console since Biohazard 0.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What was the initial shipment on 2G Portable? Wasn't it less than that?

Tenbatsu

Since its cvxfreak's thread I am going to post unrelated stuff:D
33oised.jpg
oirejk.jpg
111thyx.jpg
2ajni12.jpg
8z03r6.jpg

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Does every copy of Monster Hunter Tri come with two different manuals? I see one manual with the Nunchuk+Remote on the cover, and another with the Classic Controller.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Shall be interesting if Tri's first week is bigger than 2ndG's...

And it will be interesting to see if the success of it on the PSP translate to the Wii.

thefro

FootNinja said:
hope it sells out day 1, and we get it in the US day 2.

March 2010 :(, but that'll be the end of people complaining about nothing to play on the Wii for a long time.

As much as I'd want the initial shipment to be consumed for breakfast. I don't predict a second shipment will be necessary. Lets say first week sales at 450k.

schuelma

meme said:
What are the reasonable first week prediction? 500, 600k?

I predicted 500K before I knew about the initial shipment. I'm going to push it up to 600K.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't understand. Do you mean first 3rd party million seller in Japan? Because wouldn't titles like GH3/World Tour surpass a million on the Wii quite easily? And didn't Red Steel break 1m?

schuelma

EatChildren said:
I don't understand. Do you mean first 3rd party million seller in Japan? Because wouldn't titles like GH3/World Tour surpass a million on the Wii quite easily? And didn't Red Steel break 1m?

Yes, Japan

swerve

I'm picking it up first thing saturday along with three friends. Very excited, but I strongly doubt it'll be more fun than Wii Music.

thefro said:
March 2010 :(, but that'll be the end of people complaining about nothing to play on the Wii for a long time.

Early 2010 Wii has a lot of games coming out for it. Sin and Punishment 2, No More Heroes 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Red Steel 2, and possibly more like Line Attack Heroes, Endless Ocean 2, and Span Smasher. So if people complain, they are fucking picky.

biocat

Tri won't even come close to 2nd Portable's sales or popularity. I think they're maybe overshooting a bit. Or just being hopeful?
The portability and ability to play with friends OUTSIDE the house is what helped Monster Hunter Portable become so great.

Well, at least with Tri almost out now it won't be too long before Tri Portable is announced.

farnham

Banned
well i think the high sales projection comes from the recent resurgence of preorders

capcom wanted to sell only 500k of this game when MHG launched

now they want 1 million in one month

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
yoopoo said:
Fun fun or Wii Music fun?
:lol You made my day.

I seriously can't wait for this. It's a good job my mates and I just made the switch from 2G to Unite, otherwise I would have been too tempted to get a Japanese Wii.

Capcom are doing such a great job pimping the series in the west now - I really hope Tri kicks off like nothing else.

thefro

B-Genius said:
:lol You made my day.

I seriously can't wait for this. It's a good job my mates and I just made the switch from 2G to Unite, otherwise I would have been too tempted to get a Japanese Wii.

Capcom are doing such a great job pimping the series in the west now - I really hope Tri kicks off like nothing else.

I think it'll be very successful in the West between Nintendo being behind it and the fact that despite it being a different type of game, if I'm a Zelda or Pokemon fan I'm probably pretty interested in taking a look at this if it's marketed right.

thefro said:
I think it'll be very successful in the West between Nintendo being behind it and the fact that despite it being a different type of game, if I'm a Zelda or Pokemon fan I'm probably pretty interested in taking a look at this if it's marketed right.

The best way they can get MH3 to sell in the West is to bring over the MH3 Black Wii bundle.
Seriously, that thing will fly off the shelves.

Vinci

Danish
AceBandage said:
The best way they can get MH3 to sell in the West is to bring over the MH3 Black Wii bundle.
Seriously, that thing will fly off the shelves.

I agree. The bundle is sex.

Grampasso

Well, shipments are mainly based on preorders, aren't they? So this should be at least an indication for what the first week sales should be. It shouldn't have portable legs, but at least a million sales I think it's guaranteed

Top Bottom