• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monitor for PS5

Antelope

I’m trying to find a monitor for my home office and frankly, I’m bewildered. I’ve never bought a monitor before.

I need it for two tasks: productivity (writing, reading, spreadsheets) and console gaming. It will be hooked up to my 15 inch MacBook and P5.

Should I look only at a 4k60 panel (lg ul650 is my current pick) or should I consider a 1440p panel that supports downscaling? I don’t really know if that’s a good trade off.

I’m currently gaming on a Sony 950g. I don’t need the same HDR (honestly it gives me eye strain in Destiny) but I don’t want to lose image quality (colours, etc.)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Just be sure you know what you are getting. Monitors and their inputs can wildly differ. Both of my monitors don't even have HDMI inputs.

You'll want a HDMI 2.1 monitor with some sort of VRR( almost assuredly Free-Sync) and you need to make sure it supports HDMI and not just display port. Not sure what you mean by downscaling, but a 1440p monitor hits a nice price/perf ratio even if PS5 doesn't support it yet and will probably at least offer 120hz support as well. If/when PS5 supports 1440p it'd probably be ideal as a 4k will downscale well and if it's a native 1440p title you might get lucky and have 120/144hz support as well. And you're MacBook will run better on a 1440p monitor than it would on a full 4k one.

Though you might want to wait until Sony supports 1440p. 4k/60hz is nice, but I feel like 1440p/144hz is way better. Though tbh, it's whatever makes sense for you. Anything above 1080p is gonna be a nice step up regardless of what you choose.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I’m trying to find a monitor for my home office and frankly, I’m bewildered. I’ve never bought a monitor before.

I need it for two tasks: productivity (writing, reading, spreadsheets) and console gaming. It will be hooked up to my 15 inch MacBook and P5.

Should I look only at a 4k60 panel (lg ul650 is my current pick) or should I consider a 1440p panel that supports downscaling? I don’t really know if that’s a good trade off.

I’m currently gaming on a Sony 950g. I don’t need the same HDR (honestly it gives me eye strain in Destiny) but I don’t want to lose image quality (colours, etc.)

Just be sure it's 10-bit panel and supports HDMI 2.1.

JLB

Banned

I have an Acer Predator 27" plugged to my MBP and works fantastic. Also I plan to use it with my Series X eventually.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
4k monitor and forget hdr as it sucks on monitors.
I have lg 27uk650 and it should be ok for ps5.
There are no hdmi 2.1 4k monitors yet to use 120hz... And games will be 30 or 60... Rarely more I bet

Last edited:

Antelope

Just be sure you know what you are getting. Monitors and their inputs can wildly differ. Both of my monitors don't even have HDMI inputs.

You'll want a HDMI 2.1 monitor with some sort of VRR( almost assuredly Free-Sync) and you need to make sure it supports HDMI and not just display port. Not sure what you mean by downscaling, but a 1440p monitor hits a nice price/perf ratio even if PS5 doesn't support it yet and will probably at least offer 120hz support as well. If/when PS5 supports 1440p it'd probably be ideal as a 4k will downscale well and if it's a native 1440p title you might get lucky and have 120/144hz support as well. And you're MacBook will run better on a 1440p monitor than it would on a full 4k one.

Though you might want to wait until Sony supports 1440p. 4k/60hz is nice, but I feel like 1440p/144hz is way better. Though tbh, it's whatever makes sense for you. Anything above 1080p is gonna be a nice step up regardless of what you choose.
Do you have any 1440p monitors that you’d recommend? I was looking at this Dell S3220DGF but then I read that 1440p is grainy at 32 inches.

If you want a 4k at 120hz through HDMI 2.1 such a monitor does not exist at the moment. There are some coming out but mostly in 2021.
Yeah. I was disappointed to find that out. Ideally, I want something in the next month or two. Trying to do spreadsheets on a 15 inch MacBook is murder for my eyes and posture.
4k monitor and forget hdr as it sucks on monitors.
I have lg 27uk650 and it should be ok for ps5.
There are no hdmi 2.1 4k monitors yet to use 120hz... And games will be 30 or 60... Rarely more I bet
This is my top option. I have it ordered at Amazon but it’s a month till it gets delivered. I figured I would ask around in case I missed another option.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Do you have any 1440p monitors that you’d recommend? I was looking at this Dell S3220DGF but then I read that 1440p is grainy at 32 inches.
The two monitors I have are 3440x1440p 120hz and 1440p 144hz both g-sync and neither have HDMI inputs so I couldn't give you a good recommendation. I just wanted you to be sure that whatever you picked had HDMI support as most that are variable refresh rates typically only have display port inputs unless specified otherwise and it would suck to buy one and not know that. But I can tell you that neither are grainy and look sharp as shit for me.

7OedkfU.jpg

Antelope

The two monitors I have are 3440x1440p 120hz and 1440p 144hz both g-sync and neither have HDMI inputs so I couldn't give you a good recommendation. I just wanted you to be sure that whatever you picked had HDMI support as most that are variable refresh rates typically only have display port inputs unless specified otherwise and it would suck to buy one and not know that. But I can tell you that neither are grainy and look sharp as shit for me.

7OedkfU.jpg
Thanks! That’s very helpful as I assumed they would all have HDMI ports in addition to DP. 1440p also looks viable and I like the idea it would be easier to drive with my MacBook. Appreciate the help.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Thanks! That’s very helpful as I assumed they would all have HDMI ports in addition to DP. 1440p also looks viable and I like the idea it would be easier to drive with my MacBook. Appreciate the help.
Yeah, I think a lot of people share that same misconception. Just a few weeks ago a buddy brought his PC over to my house and when he went to plug into my monitor he was asking about the HDMI input. He had no idea that vrr monitors typically only have display ports. He's been PC gaming too for the better part of 6 years or so too but only ever used HDMI tv's as monitors. As far as I understand it, they only use DP as putting too much input circuitry on a display can/may cause interference. Though I'm not 100% sure on that, just what I've heard over the years.

Antelope

7OedkfU.jpg
Hey. Sorry to tag you again, but do you think the Odyssey G7 would be a good 1440p monitor. I’m looking at the 27 inch model. Thanks!

Been doing some research for optimum monitors for 1080p/120FPS for PS5 while also offering player the 4K downsampled option.

Here's a decent list for yall to consider, I am trying to get the Asus one

Asus VG27AQ - 1440p + 1080p /w 120fps
Benq EX2780Q - 1440p + 1080p /w 120fps
LG GL850 - 1440p +1080p /w 120fps

All three monitors are superb choice and range between $340 - $450 depending on deals on Amazon.

Don't and I repeat don't get the LG 32GK650F-B or any variant of this model. Though this monitor says it's 120fps/144Hz, for whatever reason it just won't take in the 120fps signal from your PS5.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The best monitor I have used for the PS5 is the LG 27GP950 4k144hz HDMI 2.1 monitor if you can find it in stock.

27'' UltraGear™ G-SYNC® Gaming Monitor | 27GP950-B | LG USA

Another great choice is the LG 27850 1440p 144hz monitor that accepts the 4k signal from a PS and downscales it to the monitors 1440p and looks quite good plus its about half the price of the monitor I first mentioned.

LG 27'' UltraGear QHD Nano IPS 1ms 165Hz HDR Monitor with G-SYNC® Compatibility (27GP850-B) | LG USA

Do any of the monitor use oled panel?

Or are they too small for that?

Love amoled panel for my phone. Would be amazing if I could have similar quality in monitor.

seeing that some games run down to lower res , and you can live with slight stretch till update comes , go with a ultra wide with quantum . and real hdr quality 400 @120hz , the 4k feed will be down sampled to 1400p by the monitor from 4k and will still blow mind.. i will see in a few days.... *licks lips*

p.s hdr is a must, if you appreciate light to dark wider colour gamut.(correct me if i am wrong) thus a better picture representation , of the the designed level of light applied.

put some shades on.

or play it safe , get a bnw crt 4:3 ratio , and be part of the future....

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

7OedkfU.jpg
3440x1440 looks like fucking ass in mac os.
It is not supported correctly atm.
Giant pain too esp on m1 based device.

Don’t get an HDR pc monitor..
Just look up something that is 4k ips based.

so scaling is great on mac os.
Tbh just get an LG oled for gaming.

and a decent ips monitor for pc

Last edited:
Top Bottom