• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare II Canadian Xbox physical edition boasts it's "the best-selling franchise on PlayStation"

3liteDragon

The back-of-the-box callout has seemingly been printed in error.
Canadians who purchased Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for Xbox on Friday discovered that its physical box seemingly calls out PlayStation in error. Boxed copies of the Activision shooter boldly proclaim on the rear of their packaging that the Call of Duty series is “the best-selling franchise” on Xbox or PlayStation, depending on the format the copy is for.

However, in Canada – where packaging must display text in both English and French – Activision appears to have forgotten to translate this particular text, leading to the awkward call out for the console rival.

Assuming the error will be fixed in future print runs of Modern Warfare 2, these early copies could become something of a collector’s item. Call of Duty is currently the subject of a war of words between Microsoft and Sony, as regulators around the world scrutinise the latter’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard. Despite repeated assurances from Xbox that the Call of Duty series, which is regularly the best-selling release of the year in the US, will remain on PlayStation, Sony has been engaged in an increasingly public war of words over the proposed deal, and told press that Microsoft’s offer in regards to the future of CoD was “inadequate on many levels”.

Regulators around the world are currently scrutinising the deal, with the UK’s CMA voicing similar concerns that the deal could harm PlayStation and other game subscription services, should Microsoft make Activision Blizzard content exclusive to its platform. Microsoft said in response to the CMA’s decision to expand its inquiry this week that it has “no intention to take Call of Duty away from gamers” and claimed that doing so would “tarnish both the Call of Duty and Xbox brands”.

Sony and Activision have a long-standing Call of Duty marketing deal which in recent years has seen PlayStation owners receive a range of exclusive content including in-game bundles, exclusive game modes and early access to public tests.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Doc Rivers Reaction GIF

Ozzie666

Blame Canada, or at least Quebec.
So, does this help or hurt the merger?

Can they please change it too - the Best 70 megs on the Playstation

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even worse, packaging in Canada is super cluttered like that due to mandatory duo language requirements. So even though the only province that really cares about French is Quebec (and perhaps a bit of New Brunswick), the rest of the country doesn't. Even people in BC and Yukon got to live it too. You'd also get additional instruction manuals shrinkwrapped to the box if the main manual cant fit it all.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Activision wants to keep their biggest customer satisfied. We see you Bobby 😘
drive off 50 cent GIF

Even worse, packaging in Canada is super cluttered like that due to mandatory duo language requirements. So even though the only province that really cares about French is Quebec (and perhaps a bit of New Brunswick), the rest of the country doesn't. Even people in BC and Yukon got to live it too. You'd also get additional instruction manuals shrinkwrapped to the box if the main manual cant fit it all.
Mange dla marde

nush

Gold Member
I used to work in publishing and I saw that my boss had the game on his desk for a long time. One day I asked him why it was there. He said it was to remind him to pay attention to what he was doing no matter how busy he was. Then he showed me the spine of the game case and it didn't have either the game logo or the title on it. It went to print like that and he'd signed off on it.

I'd made a similar fuck up the year before but every title I worked on I was triple checking every damn thing on it after that.

Goalus

This was done in preparation of the acquisition in order to stress that even after the deal is completed, Xbox and PS are treated equally by Activision. The regulators will like it.

Orta

Banned
Savour it. Its one of the last times you'll ever see COD and Playstation in the same sentence. Lol.

jaysius

Banned
Blame Canada, or at least Quebec.
So, does this help or hurt the merger?

Can they please change it too - the Best 70 megs on the Playstation
As much as I want to blame Quebec for anything as a Canadian, it’s clearly the idiot who hit “print“ to blame.

Top Bottom