• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2019 has a VERY DISTURBING mission

mhirano

I have just finished Modern Warfare (2019).
Great game with amazing graphics but, MAN, there is a mission that was VERY disturbing, almost too much for me. I could barely finish it.

Call of Duty series is known for its edginess: "No Russian" mission where you kill unarmed civilians; Cod4 opening where you are in the shoes of a man to be executed; another one from CoD4 where you are nuked.

But this mission...

[SPOILERS from now on]

called "Hometown", you play as a kid in civil war in her home country (called Urzkistan, but it is just fictional Syria).
You start up buried in debris being rescued. You see many people (including your mother) suffering and dying. Then you proceed to run with your father through a civilian massacre by Russian soldiers, watch people getting shot and then gassed...
When you finally find shelter in an abandoned house with your father and brother, a bulky masked soldier breaks into the house, brutally killing the father and then proceeds stalking the two kids. You have to hide from him and than kill him.
Then you have to sneak past guards in an poison gas filled environment, watching more civilizans get shot.
The final scene is a situation where you have to sneak into two guards near a trick, then rob a gun, kill them both e steral the truck. The animation for the kind holding the weapon, aiming, shooting and reloading is eeringly realistic, its really disturbing. When the kids do all that, they get caught by a evil General who beats then chokes them.

The part where you have to run and hide from the soldier was very unsettling for me. You have to play a "cat-and-mouse" game with the soldier that is very tense, having an almost "horror game-like" atmosphere. You have to stab him some times and then a interactive cutscene plays where you stab him some more times and then shoot him with his own rifle.
Maybe I'm too sensitive, or maybe I wasn't expecting a "horror like but very realistic" misssion in CoD, but this level got me. I even had to take some days off the game.

TLDR: CoD MW 2019 is very gritty and has a very disturbing mission involving 1st person civil bombing casualities + genocide + mass destruction weapon usage + kid abuse + kid handling gun and murdering people

Have anyone felt like this? Or am I too sensitive and should go to Era complain about this game?

yunkaiza

Man, this mission was one of my favourites in the whole game. The missions that had you do something other than shooting at a bunch of enemies the game throws at you really stood out. I don't think this mission was intended to be edgy or whatever, just to show another side of war and the brutality that comes with it.

By comparison, No Russian is dumb.

MiguelItUp

I mean, I felt like it was a really cool, unexpected, and powerful angle. But I never once thought it was "too disturbing" or anything along those lines. That just feels like a bit much...

Droxcy

This game took war and made it real for the players, The way the missions were designed and the story was fantastic. Pretty sure they got result they were looking for with your thoughts on this post.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Played through the campaign at launch and I don't even remember this mission. Cod campaigns are usually dog-shit tier and the MW19 campaign was no different

-Arcadia-

Banned
War is hell. Good post, and I like that the game showed a different angle on it. I think we could all use a reminder from time to time, given how easily humanity falls prey to ideologies and mistakes that create those situations.

mhirano

It’s almost like war is dark and brutal and those impacted by it have to do anything to survive.
I have an idea for the ultimate realistic war game simulator: you stay on a trench for days until some enemy soldier appears.
Also, you die with one shot and get no respawn, just like real life.

Sounds like fun.

No.

It was designed with an artistic approach it's an art form, where's sky's the limit for these guys or any other imaginative mainstream story creator out there. We don't bitch about the gruesome war movies in theaters on the silverscreen, do we?..right?

OP, You probably haven't watched any of the episodes of HBOs Homeland..thought so.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MW2019 did a good job at ripping levels from the headlines. Highway of death, bin laden raid, benghazi, terror attacks in european cities.

The "Syria" level you played was just another example of that. I think its pretty cool, even if they are shallow takes on those events. It gives MW2019 a certain timeliness, very similar to the original CoD4 in 2007 which tackled America's invasion of the middle east.

manfestival

That mission wasn't disturbing. That mission was straight fire. If anything, the most controversial mission was the Highway of Death and not this one.

Last edited:

Spokker

I must be missing something because the "war is hell" aspects of these games fail to resonate with me. People say that No Russian or Spec Ops shook them to their core but I didn't really feel anything. I'm kind of cynical about the whole thing and am rather bored of people saying war is hell. Yes, the sky is also blue.

But I was a wreck when Aerith died.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

It was an annoying mission with an obviously deaf/blind cripple you stab repeatedly. It was just so dumb, how you kept going in a circle stabbing him all the time and he just didn't react to it at all, the ai reminded me of Skyrim where the moment they lose sight of you they insist it was "just the wind" with a dagger stuck in their backs. The whole campaign is just meh but this mission is the worst.
When I read the title of the thread I thought you meant the mission where you intimidate the butcher by aiming a gun at his family, that is the best moment in the campaign.

I must be missing something because the "war is hell" aspects of these games fail to resonate with me. People say that No Russian or Spec Ops shook them to their core but I didn't really feel anything.

Because "No Russian" is your typical GTA game session we have seen and played a thousand times already.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I completely forgot about that. That game lacked any emotional weight for me, I actually think the campaign was trash.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Don't you kill/recruit/take out bombs from inside child soldiers in MGS V?

These type of games always try to have these kind of scenes in, that's why their rating is M.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
It was okay, it worked, but I wouldn't give it any credit beyond that. I really disliked the MW campaign because it didn't have the same tight controls and fluid action sequences of the older games or even the multiplayer component. The creative heads at IW came from Naughty Dog and I don't think their style of putting in gore, profanity, or fucked up moments meaningfully adds to the experience. I actually do like that technique to surprise the audience of a conventional work of genre, but something about their execution falls completely flat to me.

I knew there was something wrong with this story when the first spoken lines in the campaign are by a middle eastern terrorist saying "we fight not for our faith." This game portrays Islamists as noble but Russians as beyond redemption and I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways. The American and British forces are just dudes getting shit done, until one of the commanders designates the terrorists as terrorists, to which the main characters get indignant. The game gives you the option to torture a mother and her child and then takes the consequences of that choice away from you. It's this constant tension between wanting to be edgy and tolerant at the same time that makes the whole effort collapse in on itself.

Multiplayer was perfect, though.

mhirano

It was okay, it worked, but I wouldn't give it any credit beyond that. I really disliked the MW campaign because it didn't have the same tight controls and fluid action sequences of the older games or even the multiplayer component. The creative heads at IW came from Naughty Dog and I don't think their style of putting in gore, profanity, or fucked up moments meaningfully adds to the experience. I actually do like that technique to surprise the audience of a conventional work of genre, but something about their execution falls completely flat to me.

I knew there was something wrong with this story when the first spoken lines in the campaign are by a middle eastern terrorist saying "we fight not for our faith." This game portrays Islamists as noble but Russians as beyond redemption and I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways. The American and British forces are just dudes getting shit done, until one of the commanders designates the terrorists as terrorists, to which the main characters get indignant. The game gives you the option to torture a mother and her child and then takes the consequences of that choice away from you. It's this constant tension between wanting to be edgy and tolerant at the same time that makes the whole effort collapse in on itself.

Multiplayer was perfect, though.
The game tried to paint a grey picture:
Not all 'terrorists' are bad, not all rebels are terrorists, not all russians are bad, not all americans are good and not even heroes are good all the time (yes, Price tortured a woman and his child to avoid a terrorist attack)

Top Bottom