• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Vintage Gamer: Online DRM has ruined Gran Turismo 7

stranno

And? Gt sport had daily rewards and not a roulette and some races paid 200k.
Again, Sport was pretty much useless without internet, like GT7, so this hurting DRM thing is nothing new. I don't care if Sport was better or worse than any other GT.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wonder how many complaining here have gamepass? It'd be quite ironic.

You can even play Game Pass games offline with only 1 check required in 30 days.

But that's primarily meant to be an online subscription service. It's not a single game that locks its single player content behind an arbitrary connection.

You're literally comparing Apples to Cows here.

ManaByte

I’m waiting for the Goty edition with all the cars already unlocked
Jimmy Fallon Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

RyRy93

Won't bother buying it unless something changes, been playing the series since GT3. I only bought GT Sport on a deep sale.

Last edited:

thegame983

The most disappointing thing about the game is the fact that once your finished the cafe there is nothing to do except race one off races that reward you 30-50k

Even if you grind these to buy a 2mil + car....all there is to do is race these one off races. It's pointless

What the problem to do a in-game local single player account that can be updated with cloud save for example. If you go off-line you will play local single player than update your cloud save.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I didn't know people went "offline", being down for 20+ hours is crazy in today's gaming world. Adding offline modes is what they can do.

Kacho

Gold Member
I was excited for this until I heard about the always online requirement for single player. Industry poison.

V4skunk

Banned
That roulette is a joke. I got a car once from it (a shit one too) and every other time, even with the 4 star ones, I got the lowest credit payout possible.
In GTS the roulette was way fairer. Many times I won high end multi million credit cars.

kikii

Manabyte gen z lol
yeah, cause game offer u to get shits with RL monies, i literally dont wana take part of this same shit, u ppl get triggered cuz there is a MTX and thats all u see nothing else, which makes u cry like lil kid " why mommy didnt buy me a chocomilk i wanted to" , noone of u peeps is not forced to pay anything, remember grinding turismo on ps1 and gt2 ? oh wait no u dont :/

JimRyanGOAT

yeah, cause game offer u to get shits with RL monies, i literally dont wana take part of this same shit, u ppl get triggered cuz there is a MTX and thats all u see nothing else, which makes u cry like lil kid " why mommy didnt buy me a chocomilk i wanted to" , noone of u peeps is not forced to pay anything, remember grinding turismo on ps1 and gt2 ? oh wait no u dont :/
shut up you old head boomer

Got yell at some clouds or something

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Why are gamers who play sport games always willing to bend over for this stuff?
Racing is already monotonous, why make it expensive too?

Definitely a black eye for Sony.

Polyphony Digital puts out a new game about every 3-4 years on average. The development time and cost have increased and so they decided that MTX would be the best way to fund their studio in between games.

The reason they can't let people play offline is probably that this is going to end up on PC with cross-play. Only a matter of time until this is announced. Not to mention this is still on PS4 so people could hack the game on a hacked PS4 and continue it on their unhacked PS4. The number of people that would do this is small, but so is the number of people dropping real currency for cars in a game.

Regardless, definitely a stumble for Sony out of the gates for GaaS.

They've had a rough year in many ways, but it'll still be a profitable year for them.

It's crazy that Sony, world famous for their stellar single player games, is fucking up one of their most renown single player franchises with always online, drm bullshit. It's baffling that there isn't an offline mode. This is how greed looks like, in its purest form.
It's already backfiring on them honestly...
Specifically when you decide that increasing your prices by 10 dollars is the way to go, having your single player game unplayable for 30 hours sounds like a scam. Imagine paying 100 for that 25 yo edition for that to happen...and after 30 hours the game's rewards have been reduced lmao

radewagon

The highest race payout is 70,000 for a 10 minute race.

To afford a $2M car, you'd need to grind that same race for FIVE HOURS.
I would appreciate it if some of these games respected our time more. Like, this stupid scenario sounds like a job. I mean, I get it. They want it to seem like work so that we pay them money to not have to do said work, but like, y'know, people already paid for the game. Get out of here with that freemium-style BS.

mclaren777

All of this hate for GT7 is really confusing.

I enjoy playing the game – racing and tuning and taking pictures. Never have I felt the need to grind and I don't feel entitled to own a $5+ million car in the first couple weeks. Gran Turismo games have always been 200+ hours adventures for me so I'm confident that I'll eventually own all of the cars I truly desire, reduce payouts or not.

And even during the server maintenance, I had a great time doing arcade races. Oddly enough, the AI was actually better in that mode than during the campaign races, so I was actually having more fun during the outage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fox Mulder

GaaS sucks

You can either constantly add more content to keep people playing or just make it more of a grind.

Forza Horizon gives new cars weekly in events. Gran Turismo chose the grind for expensive cars. GT7 even removed the car birthday gift to be stingy.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I enjoy playing the game – racing and tuning and taking pictures. Never have I felt the need to grind and I don't feel entitled to own a $5+ million car in the first couple weeks. Gran Turismo games have always been 200+ hours adventures for me so I'm confident that I'll eventually own all of the cars I truly desire, reduce payouts or not.

And even during the server maintenance, I had a great time doing arcade races. Oddly enough, the AI was actually better in that mode than during the campaign races, so I was actually having more fun during the outage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck on getting all the cars. For example, it’ll take like 25 hours of grinding the most efficient race in a Tomahawk to get the 18.5 million credits for the Mclaren F1 in the legendary dealership right now. Of course it’ll be gone in a few days. That’s just one car.

All that time spent in an online only game that will be shut down at some point. Like I can go back to an old GT or Forza and enjoy all the cars I earned a decade ago just fine.

Last edited:

ManaByte

The way you type I seriously doubt you were around for GT1 and 2 (I still own my original copies). And the grind in those games wasn’t close to this.

sn0man

They are making the same mistakes, which MS did after x360.
Its like these companies don't understand what made them popular in the 1st place.
Yeah I shat on MS and xbone last gen and happily bought a PS4. With the console shortage I’m starting to think an RTX 3080 might be more useful as I watch Sony fall for the same online requirement stupidity.

(Poor MS, Xbox 360 was such a GOAT tier system too. Maybe they’ll capitalize on this foot in mouth idiocy Sony is pulling. The Netflix of games or something else. Maybe Forza Motorsport 8 with local offline saves..)

Last edited:

sn0man

You can even play Game Pass games offline with only 1 check required in 30 days.

But that's primarily meant to be an online subscription service. It's not a single game that locks its single player content behind an arbitrary connection.

You're literally comparing Apples to Cows here.
I’m no Microsoft fan but you’re 100% spot on. Neither of this systems are pro consumer but Microsoft looks positively charitable compared to the steaming GT7 pile.

ToadMan

The most disappointing thing about the game is the fact that once your finished the cafe there is nothing to do except race one off races that reward you 30-50k

Even if you grind these to buy a 2mil + car....all there is to do is race these one off races. It's pointless

After you’ve finished cafe… and licenses, and missions, and track famil, and drift…

Oh and then there’s multiplayer events.

skybaby

Quality neogaf post ©

Seriously, lately all this forum does is whine, GT7 drm this, Battlefield 2042 that. Do you guys even play games anymore??
If something is bad i.e. anti-consumer, it needs to be addressed and people can and should discuss it on a gaming forum. There's plenty of threads with people having fun with games and discussing about said fun (so I've heard, I don't like fun so I don't visit those threads).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

People are not „hating“ GT7. They are criticizing terrible design choices that hurt and otherwise fantastic game. Offline mode offers a paltry selection of content, less than any previous GT game. Hell, most SNES Kart Racers offer up more content than what GT7 does offline. That isn‘t acceptable.

Couple that with the single player mode being gated behind online connections needlessly and having credit payouts being nerfed? Let people grind out what they want if they want to do it. The only reason they were nerfed was just so they can push MTX.

Seriously, lately all this forum does is whine, GT7 drm this, Battlefield 2042 that. Do you guys even play games anymore??

Translation:
“Waaah! Stop rightfully criticizing shitty design choices! Just roll over and accept it like I do! You aren‘t supposed to think, just consume!“

ZehDon

Damn it, I was worried this kind of bullshit was going to go down. The initial reviews had me excited for GT to be back to the heights of GT4. Luckily Elden Ring happened, so I haven’t ponied up my money yet. I really hope they just get rid of the Internet for offline play requirement and fix the economy. I don’t want to wait another entire generation for a good GT 😕

Ma-Yuan

It was a stupid decision and they deserve the criticism for it. Just make the carrier offline on the next game and they have me back. But I guess this will be on the ps6 then or so 😂🤔

Three

MS seem to have it right. Look at SoT, FS2020 and like you said FH5.

Halo though.... well.... MS still have some work there to do.
What's good about SoT? It's the same GaaS model. It requires you to be online so if severs go down you can't play anything and sells "Ancient coins" for $30 so you can afford expensive shit nobody needs.

Top Bottom