• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern "skill based matchmaking" is anything but. It's ruining muliplayer games. Is it worse than loot boxes? Can anything be done?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
We should get rid of online multiplayer all togerther and go back to LAN parties only.

We should get rid of online multiplayer all togerther and go back to LAN parties only.
I refuse to ever use the laughing reaction to do anything else but complement someone for saying something I believe they intended to be funny, but no. Goodness no.

Torguy

Neo Member
Overwatch is actually anxiety to play now, the SBMM is so bad that I cannot describe. I am paired with low ranked literal noobs that don't even know what they're doing, and put against Diamonds and Golds sweats that just roll us like its nothing, and this is like 95% of my matches. SBMM has RUINED this otherwise very nice game, and of course there are OP hero's that also ruin it a little, but that's a different story, but nothing compared to SBMM. Also, Overwatch was never like this before, I've been playing it almost since launch and its always been really fun and chill, not toxic, but in the recent last couple of years its been an absolute nightmare and crazy toxic.

Warablo

No idea if this is why the new regular CoD deathmatch modes are shit or if the maps and balancing are shit.

Whitecrow

Banned
Overwatch is actually anxiety to play now, the SBMM is so bad that I cannot describe. I am paired with low ranked literal noobs that don't even know what they're doing, and put against Diamonds and Golds sweats that just roll us like its nothing, and this is like 95% of my matches. SBMM has RUINED this otherwise very nice game, and of course there are OP hero's that also ruin it a little, but that's a different story, but nothing compared to SBMM. Also, Overwatch was never like this before, I've been playing it almost since launch and its always been really fun and chill, not toxic, but in the recent last couple of years its been an absolute nightmare and crazy toxic.
Do you notice tht SBMM is tryig to avoid that?
If it didnt work like shit you wouldnt write that post.

II_JumPeR_I

Sbmm and no proper party matching is a thing since launch. Big reason why i dropped the game a few weeks after launch.

Halo Infinite and the next CoD will have this issues as well.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Worse than lootboxes? I think not! Predatory based systems that lure you into excessive microtransactions and regret-binges are the fucking worst. Even if you, yourself, have the ability to resist, it still affects the direction, quality, and effort put into the video game experience.

NOTHING will ever seem worse to me; at least I feel pretty certain of that.

Last edited:
It sounds like a number of new and upcoming shooters either don't or won't feature either strict SBMM or "engagement based match making," including Battlefield, Splitgate, and XDefiant. With XDefiant in particular, I know the developers invited a lot of content creators to consult on the game, so I'm sure the developers heard an ear full on that particular topic.

Top Bottom