• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod for the Original Deus Ex Turns JC Denton Into a Female Character

No shit sherlock. I am talking about replaybility, a point to any of the changes. Seems like a lot of effort to go for a model swap for a character you barely see as is.
Have you even played the game? You see JC ever single time he opens his mouth, and he isn't exactly untalkative.

Some of the replies in this thread are hilarious. There s nothing wrong with this. The option to play as a woman was something the original developers wanted to include from the outset, but they had to drop it due to time and budget constraints. This mod just restores that option.

ParaSeoul

But why? Seriously.
What is this obsession of taking original characters and changing their sex, race, sexual orientation, etc.
Why not put the effort to create good characters, that are new and interesting.
The Gamerant version of this article failed to mention that this was made because Ion Storm originally wanted you to pick between a Male and Female JC but it was cut.

winjer

Gold Member
The Gamerant version of this article failed to mention that this was made because Ion Storm originally wanted you to pick between a Male and Female JC but it was cut.

True. But they ended up just having the JD Denton we know.

For example, the main character for Tomb Raider, was initially supposed to be a man.
Eventually, Toby decided to make a woman, Laura Croft. And then someone decided to make it Lara.
Today, I don't want a Tomb Raider with a male Lara Croft. That character is already created. It's done.
if there's a need for another character, with different features, just create a new one.

Wildebeest

For example, the main character for Tomb Raider, was initially supposed to be a man.
Eventually, Toby decided to make a woman, Laura Croft. And then someone decided to make it Lara.
Today, I don't want a Tomb Raider with a male Lara Croft. That character is already created. It's done.
if there's a need for another character, with different features, just create a new one.

It was a feature they wanted, but it was cut due to time and budget, not a creative decision. They even included this feature in Invisible War. There was never any grand vision that JC had to be a very specific dude with a lot of backstory, like Tomb Raider reboots or Human Revolution. You could even change his appearance and real name, with JC Denton being a codename.

winjer

Gold Member
It was a feature they wanted, but it was cut due to time and budget, not a creative decision. They even included this feature in Invisible War. There was never any grand vision that JC had to be a very specific dude with a lot of backstory, like Tomb Raider reboots or Human Revolution. You could even change his appearance and real name, with JC Denton being a codename.

True, but then it became canon. And the character was set.
At any point they could have made a new character that had other features.
Especially considering that other games in the series didn't use JC Denton.

Wildebeest

What do you mean it became canon? Like modders are not allowed to change anything about the game at all and neither are devs? That's weird man.

And JC Denton was in Invisible War, although that game didn't inherit any choices from save files from the first game. The canon plot of Deus Ex is a sort of mix of everything happening that could not happen in any one playthrough of Deus Ex.

How is changing JC's gender any more non-canonical than adding an entirely new character that wasn't in the original game?

Radrigal

I think some of the replies on here aren't really about their ire toward more player options in games, but because why is this news?

There are thousands of games with thousands of mods in the void right now. Is this breaking new ground? Is Deus Ex a game that was impossible to mod at one point but has now been breached?

Should we have very serious discussions every time another modder makes the horses in Skyrim have photorealistic dongs?

You know what scratch that: We all should discuss some dragon balls.

Wildebeest

I think some of the replies on here aren't really about their ire toward more player options in games, but because why is this news?

There are thousands of games with thousands of mods in the void right now. Is this breaking new ground? Is Deus Ex a game that was impossible to mod at one point but has now been breached?

Should we have very serious discussions every time another modder makes the horses in Skyrim have photorealistic dongs?

You know what scratch that: We all should discuss some dragon balls.

What business is if of yours? If you are not interested in a mod that seems funny and clever to old fans of Deus Ex then just ignore it. Nobody really cares if you don't find it newsworthy.

winjer

Gold Member
What do you mean it became canon? Like modders are not allowed to change anything about the game at all and neither are devs? That's weird man.

And JC Denton was in Invisible War, although that game didn't inherit any choices from save files from the first game. The canon plot of Deus Ex is a sort of mix of everything happening that could not happen in any one playthrough of Deus Ex.

Modders do what they do. That's part of the fun in modding.
I know this very well, since I modded several games I played.
But what I was talking about is regarding the trend in most entertainment industries, to change a character just for political reasons.

Wildebeest

But what I was talking about is regarding the trend in most entertainment industries, to change a character just for political reasons.

Huh? Makes no sense to me. Maybe I need to go to apolitical canon university and become PhD in apolitical studies.

ParaSeoul

Yeah but with this game it was an option. I doubt they wanted to do that in Tomb Raider. I also don't think this mod is anything noteworthy enough to have any strong opinions on.

RPSleon

People really acting like if they reinstall the game they will be forced to play as a wo🤢
wom🤢
woman🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

The why is so simple. What a weird question to ask. If you cant understand why, then the mod isnt for you.

"Its not for me, so it has no purpose and is a waste of time".

9bxEopA.gif

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is there a version with bigger tits and visible cleavage? Bonus points it you can look down at a heart shaped tattoo on your chest to see your current health.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I see no problem with the mod except perhaps that it takes from the universe as it was intended to be experience, although I doubt that 'JC Denton has a unique view of the world because he is a man' was part of the decision process during game development.

intbal

There are vast numbers of mods released every week that do impressive and/or stupid things to nearly every game ever made. Yet, this one unremarkable mod gets its own story on a fairly large-sized "gaming media" website.

Outrage Bait article executed successfully.
Author to get many "You go, Xirl!" kudos during next company skype call.

Reactions: Gp1
OHMYFUCKING GOD.

Who the hell cares?

You're telling me you're a person who has made a mod before and you are bitching about this mod because you think it's made for political reasons?

There's a ton of mods out there that add giant fucking schlongs onto characters, does that scream "this is trying to push an agenda that men need to have big schlongs to be accepted" to you as well?

I can literally add a mod with a click of a button for Crusaders King 3 where I can undress a character to be naked, or use a trainer to make my 60 year old character turn back into a 1 year old, or hell, even change the goddamn gender if I wanted to - so why does this matter at all?

No, seriously. This thread SHOULD NOT be causing some sort of controversy at all.

And lmao talking about canon in a 20 year old game. Are you seriously so insecure about yourself that the addition of a female skin in a 20 year old game is immediately done for "political reasons" and not, well, ya know, because the modder thought it would be neat to implement an idea that was scrapped?

Does Skyblivion trigger you as well because they're adding locations in the map that was scrapped/downsized due to time constraints because it isn't canon from the original release all of however many years ago?

Wake me the hell up when they remake the Witcher series and gender swap Geralt with no option to play as the original Geralt, then we can talk.

This is a mod. A goddamn mod. I can't believe we're having conversation about agenda and political reasons for a mod when no one in their right mind ever gave a goddamn crap when someone blasted big ole titties on Jill Valentine in RE, or allowed you to play as a female character skin in GTA SA, or implemented sexual positions in Fallout 4.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do you think RPGs providing options for the player to role play as a female character is always a waste or time and without value, or, only in this case for Deus Ex?

Unless it allows for a greater deviation from each other, I find its a waste of time. Just look at AC Valhalla or Odyssey for example. There is literally no difference and it ultimately hinders the writing of the game as neither character has a defined personality.

From what I have seen in this mod, its literally just a voice an dmodel swap. Would rather have seen a more in-depth mod that gave a greater change. Maybe have JC accosted or treated differently. Have certain NPCs act in a different manner. Have unique events, etc. Give this version a different personality to boot.

Maybe playing the mod will be different and all those things, more even some are there. But from the OP, it doesn't seem that's there.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
OHMYFUCKING GOD.

Who the hell cares?

You're telling me you're a person who has made a mod before and you are bitching about this mod because you think it's made for political reasons?

There's a ton of mods out there that add giant fucking schlongs onto characters, does that scream "this is trying to push an agenda that men need to have big schlongs to be accepted" to you as well?

I can literally add a mod with a click of a button for Crusaders King 3 where I can undress a character to be naked, or use a trainer to make my 60 year old character turn back into a 1 year old, or hell, even change the goddamn gender if I wanted to - so why does this matter at all?

No, seriously. This thread SHOULD NOT be causing some sort of controversy at all.

And lmao talking about canon in a 20 year old game. Are you seriously so insecure about yourself that the addition of a female skin in a 20 year old game is immediately done for "political reasons" and not, well, ya know, because the modder thought it would be neat to implement an idea that was scrapped?

Does Skyblivion trigger you as well because they're adding locations in the map that was scrapped/downsized due to time constraints because it isn't canon from the original release all of however many years ago?

Wake me the hell up when they remake the Witcher series and gender swap Geralt with no option to play as the original Geralt, then we can talk.

This is a mod. A goddamn mod. I can't believe we're having conversation about agenda and political reasons for a mod when no one in their right mind ever gave a goddamn crap when someone blasted big ole titties on Jill Valentine in RE, or allowed you to play as a female character skin in GTA SA, or implemented sexual positions in Fallout 4.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Calm your tits, mate. Let people discuss.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Uhm... Ok?
Given that one of the best mods of all time gives you a female protagonist, I honestly don't care.
In case you're wondering, I'm talking about "Shadows of The Metal Age" for Thief II.

Also, if you wanna play a Deus Ex game with a female protagonist, just play Invisible War.
It's a good game. Fight me.

Last edited:

Aldynes

OHMYFUCKING GOD.

Who the hell cares?

Absolutely ridiculous.
This is an interesting subject imo, I agree with you that in this particular exemple (a mod for a 20 year old game) it's really a "who cares?" but with that being said, there's a trend going on from years now, from comics to cinema that specifically change either the gender of a character or his race, sometimes both, with no creative ideas or talent to exploit theses changes to an already established character and settings to justify doing so INSTEAD of creating a NEW character or a new IP / story etc

Exemple : Batwoman 2019

It's gonna make it's way to video games sooner or later, you mentioned Geralt, imagine the next Witcher would be heading to this direction, like the management at CD Projekt got sooo blue balled with Cyberpunk release they're putting the blame on the tone of the game and the controversy with the trans jokes etc, they go full 180° for now on, I'm not talking Dmc Devil May Cry treatment, I'm talking Geralt now being a completely different character, effectively erasing previous Geralt and instead you're left with SJW Geraltrude who's just a mashup of ideas from a market research panel done ONLY with REEsetera creme de la clowns for members.

This is an interesting subject imo, I agree with you that in this particular exemple (a mod for a 20 year old game) it's really a "who cares?" but with that being said, there's a trend going on from years now, from comics to cinema that specifically change either the gender of a character or his race, sometimes both, with no creative ideas or talent to exploit theses changes to an already established character and settings to justify doing so INSTEAD of creating a NEW character or a new IP / story etc

Exemple : Batwoman 2019

It's gonna make it's way to video games sooner or later, you mentioned Geralt, imagine the next Witcher would be heading to this direction, like the management at CD Projekt got sooo blue balled with Cyberpunk release they're putting the blame on the tone of the game and the controversy with the trans jokes etc, they go full 180° for now on, I'm not talking Dmc Devil May Cry treatment, I'm talking Geralt now being a completely different character, effectively erasing previous Geralt and instead you're left with SJW Geraltrude who's just a mashup of ideas from a market research panel done ONLY with REEsetera creme de la clowns for members.
Yes, I acknowledge that this trend exists in media. I never once said otherwise.

But this has nothing to do with the mod now, doesnt it?

And the second half of your post is purely guesswork and hyperbole. Anything is possible if we're all talking about "what ifs" and "maybe in the future."

Calm your tits, mate. Let people discuss.

And topic of discussion is what, whether this mod has a political agenda behind its creation?

Whatever guys, have at it.

This should have been a "oh hey, that's neat. They added something that was scrapped 20 years ago" kind of thread, instead its boiled down to politics and agenda like every other thread.

Smh with this place nowadays.

Guilty_AI

Also, if you wanna play a Deus Ex game with a female protagonist, just play Invisible War.
It's a good game. Fight me.
I mean, people who played seem to agree with you.
The problem is that invisible war carried the burden of being compared with the original Deus Ex, and just couldn't live up to it despite not being necessarely a bad game.

ZehDon

It's a open question, made on an public forum.
Quite clearly, not a question for the developer.
Do you honestly expect anyone on this forum to be able to answer your question, or speak for the entirety of the entertainment industry such as to provide a meaningful response?

Unless it allows for a greater deviation from each other, I find its a waste of time. Just look at AC Valhalla or Odyssey for example. There is literally no difference and it ultimately hinders the writing of the game as neither character has a defined personality.

From what I have seen in this mod, its literally just a voice an dmodel swap. Would rather have seen a more in-depth mod that gave a greater change. Maybe have JC accosted or treated differently. Have certain NPCs act in a different manner. Have unique events, etc. Give this version a different personality to boot.

Maybe playing the mod will be different and all those things, more even some are there. But from the OP, it doesn't seem that's there.
I appreciate the thoughtful reply. In all honesty, I tend to agree - however, the reality of creating these types of new content paths for the female JC Denton while matching the pre-existing ones is pretty stark. Matching voice acting to that degree, for example, would be all but impossible. I think what they've done is a monster effort in and of itself. Is it perfect? No, and nothing ever will be - but for those wanting to play as a girl in a game that asks you to embody the central character, I think it's a valiant effort, doubly so considering its a mod for a 20 year old game. "I'd rather they did nothing at all" isn't really something I'd agree with, so I'm happy to take whatever the people behind the mod have been able to achieve.

BREAKING NEWS!

MODDERS RESTORE AN INTENDED ORIGNAL FEATURE THAT THE GAME WOULD HAVE BUT WAS CUT FOR BUDGETARY AND TIME CONSTRAINTS AND "TRUE" GAMERS REVOLT.

jcdentonfemale_w2.jpg

Sasuga Gaf!

Having a choice of a male or female JC was always the original intention, that's why Invisible War have this option.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You're missing the point. The people he's shouting at are not discussing the mod or the game. They are just using it as an excuse to complain about politics, the sjw entertainment industry, progressiveness etc for the millionth time.
Like what you are doing?

Do you honestly expect anyone on this forum to be able to answer your question, or speak for the entirety of the entertainment industry such as to provide a meaningful response?

I appreciate the thoughtful reply. In all honesty, I tend to agree - however, the reality of creating these types of new content paths for the female JC Denton while matching the pre-existing ones is pretty stark. Matching voice acting to that degree, for example, would be all but impossible. I think what they've done is a monster effort in and of itself. Is it perfect? No, and nothing ever will be - but for those wanting to play as a girl in a game that asks you to embody the central character, I think it's a valiant effort, doubly so considering its a mod for a 20 year old game. "I'd rather they did nothing at all" isn't really something I'd agree with, so I'm happy to take whatever the people behind the mod have been able to achieve.

Honestly I wouldn't have such a "Why"? reaction if this was just a footnote or something, but numerous gaming sites have posted articles like this as if it was a major deal, hyping it up. So when I saw it was not *more*, it was kind of disappointing. It really is just a minor mod that you can see in any number of games, new and old. Cool for those interested, but meh for me.

Though this discussion has made me want to go replay the game for the first time in a long while.

Last edited:
Someone needs to come and unbunch all the panties in this topic. Why would anyone even be bothered by this?

Seriously why are some of you so sensitive to this shit lmao. It's a mod for a 20 year old game—very easy to not fuckin install it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom